Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #2416
Mousekamom
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info! We will plan on self-parking.

Disney Trips:
April 2007 - Port Orleans FQ (FIRST FAMILY DISNEY TRIP!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #2417
BayGirl22
DIS Veteran

Love this thread, you GF fans have so much great info. I've read through the first 30 and last 10 pages but probably won't make it through the rest in time so I'm posting my questions.

I'm going to the GF in May to speak at a conference. Since my travel is covered and we have a great rate we decided to bring the family and add on a few days, which turned into a week and extended family...you know how it goes. So trying to figure out what room to request, whether I should do online checkin, and whether I have any chance to upgrade. I'm booked in a standard garden view with 2 adults 1 child 1 infant and a 3rd adult joining us for the last 3 nights. We'll have a double stroller and want to avoid multiple slow elevators and being far away from transportation and the conference center. So my specific questions:

1. What are the 1st floor patio's like? Are there high railings that will contain adventurous little ones? I only saw balcony pictures. Any downsides to requesting 1st floor if I don't care about the view?

2. Is requesting Sago Cay a good bet to be close to the monorail, buses, and conference center and away from the construction? (Close to the pool is less important to me)

3. Has anyone had success upgrading a conf. rate room to a suite or club when its not part of the negotiated deal? I'd consider paying in advance instead of relying on a CM-fairy godmother.

4. Will checking in online give me the option to pay the 3rd adult fee for only certain nights? Or can I specify this with the GF in advance? (Conf. Svcs said to work with the hotel) Seems like reversing the fee is harder than preventing it so I don't want to get charged automatically for the entire week.

Thanks in advance for any tips on all this! Can't wait to see the GF in person!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #2418
butternut
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayGirl22 View Post
Love this thread, you GF fans have so much great info. I've read through the first 30 and last 10 pages but probably won't make it through the rest in time so I'm posting my questions.

I'm going to the GF in May to speak at a conference. Since my travel is covered and we have a great rate we decided to bring the family and add on a few days, which turned into a week and extended family...you know how it goes. So trying to figure out what room to request, whether I should do online checkin, and whether I have any chance to upgrade. I'm booked in a standard garden view with 2 adults 1 child 1 infant and a 3rd adult joining us for the last 3 nights. We'll have a double stroller and want to avoid multiple slow elevators and being far away from transportation and the conference center. So my specific questions:

1. What are the 1st floor patio's like? Are there high railings that will contain adventurous little ones? I only saw balcony pictures. Any downsides to requesting 1st floor if I don't care about the view?

2. Is requesting Sago Cay a good bet to be close to the monorail, buses, and conference center and away from the construction? (Close to the pool is less important to me)

3. Has anyone had success upgrading a conf. rate room to a suite or club when its not part of the negotiated deal? I'd consider paying in advance instead of relying on a CM-fairy godmother.

4. Will checking in online give me the option to pay the 3rd adult fee for only certain nights? Or can I specify this with the GF in advance? (Conf. Svcs said to work with the hotel) Seems like reversing the fee is harder than preventing it so I don't want to get charged automatically for the entire week.

Hi ! we are also attending a conference the 14th of this month and are also extending our stay for the week. I also was interested in trying for an upgrade but not sure about handling that as well. I do know they try to keep all convention reservations in Sago Cay which ls next to the convention center but i was hoping to at least get a lagoon view. Im not asking for anything free but right now they only gave us a garden view and was told to ask upon check in for a switch.As far as the extra person fee, we have that situation as well. We were told to make the reservation for the entire week with the 2 extra people in the room and when they check out have the desk take the extra fees off. Hope they follow through.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #2419
dreamcatcherkwe
Mouseketeer

We're staying here for the first time in November! So excited!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #2420
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayGirl22 View Post

We have never had any luck with any paid upgrade when staying for a conf. We also were told they did not take building requests as they place the entire group in one area/building block of rooms.

Usually the rates for these are so low it does not matter to most people but frankly on the two stays we had I would have preferred to just book our room normally to get what we wanted. Hope you have better luck.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #2421
itisamymc
Mouseketeer

Is it faster to drive to Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and AK from GF? What's best way to get to these parks? (We have a 5 year old child.)

If we eat at Poly on Epcot morning, may walk to TTC to get on Epcot Monorail. The late return to GF with us tired may be too slow.

Any ideas?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #2422
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Convention rooms are booked out at special rates. Often lower than Rack rates...

Upgrading to a room with a view you might like better, may cost you...

But I can guarantee... that upgrading to a suite... would give you sticker shock!!!

Here are the rates

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disne...2013.htm#grand

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #2423
Chrisrokc
Earning My Ears

We arrived yesterday and the GF is really nice. Just as nice if not nicer than I remember it being over 10 years ago. The construction doesn't bother us, but the pool walls are still up and the beach is blocked off completely. I will take some pictures today/tomorrow and post them.

We were also upgraded from our standard room to a club level king bedroom suite at no charge. It is my girlfriend's birthday week and I asked how much it would cost to upgrade when we arrived. They came back with free!

Needless to say, the staff is very accommodating and nice.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #2424
BayGirl22
DIS Veteran

baler31 - How bad were the conference rooms you got? What made you prefer to upgrade? Did you call conference services or the GF to make requests?

I really have no desire to be adjacent to others from the same conference! Its a business event, my room/family vacation are the personal part. I'd actually prefer to have my family in a different building. But if Sago is the one, that may be fine with me. DS would love a monorail view so that works out!

Tink rules - Thanks. I knew the rack rates when we decided to book and how $$$ Suites are. View isn't important to me, I'm more wondering if I can upgrade to club for less than full rack (i.e. apply the discount or lose it). I thought at some resorts you could at CL for $100/night or something.

We're paying about 1/3 what we would if I booked online right now, so we doubled the length of our stay. I know I really can't complain. Just wondering what I can expect.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #2425
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousekamom
Hi - We are driving to Disney in June (from WI )...it will be our first time at GF. Can someone explain a little about the valet parking at the resort? We are not planning on leaving the grounds for the 6 days we are there, so how much will it cost total? I read somewhere that it is $15 a day. Does that mean we pay $15 a day to park or just each day they have to park our car for us? Are we better off just parking in a lot by ourselves, or is it super far from the resort buildings? Thanks for any info!
I am so far behind, you might have already received an answer. We drive down from CT and always self-park. We do tend to go somewhere everyday, but stay in Sago so it's not really that far. It is 15- a day plus a couple bucks everytime they get your car for you. If you aren't using your car, it would be better to self park. We do use bell service when we arrive
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #2426
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayGirl22

We had first floor sago the last time we were there. Actually if you look at the entrance, it was the second to the right. The patio does have an enclosure

We always request sago garden view marina view.
GF - 2009, 2010
WL CL - 2012
Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #2427
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
We arrived yesterday and the GF is really nice. Just as nice if not nicer than I remember it being over 10 years ago. The construction doesn't bother us, but the pool walls are still up and the beach is blocked off completely. I will take some pictures today/tomorrow and post them.

We were also upgraded from our standard room to a club level king bedroom suite at no charge. It is my girlfriend's birthday week and I asked how much it would cost to upgrade when we arrived. They came back with free!

Awesome upgrade! Congratulations.

Thanks for the live update. Hope the courtyard pool opens while you are there.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #2428
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisamymc View Post
Is it faster to drive to Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and AK from GF? What's best way to get to these parks? (We have a 5 year old child.)

If we eat at Poly on Epcot morning, may walk to TTC to get on Epcot Monorail. The late return to GF with us tired may be too slow.

Any ideas?
We usually drive to DHS and DAK but the bus may be just as fast or faster if one pulls up as you arrive. We just prefer driving. Yes, it's very easy to walk to the TTC after breakfast at the Polynesian. The return from Epcot via monorail is not bad IMO. Two rather quick monorail rides. But if it's too much for you, there are cabs.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #2429
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post

that is so cool! a similar thing happened to us at the poly a few years ago, i cried when they told me it was at no charge!

can't wait to see pics. there is just something i love about seeing pics posted by people who are there currently. i have a coworker at wdw right now and i asked her to text me a pic of anything, just something from disney, lol.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #2430
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23

We usually drive to DHS and DAK but the bus may be just as fast or faster if one pulls up as you arrive. We just prefer driving. Yes, it's very easy to walk to the TTC after breakfast at the Polynesian. The return from Epcot via monorail is not bad IMO. Two rather quick monorail rides. But if it's too much for you, there are cabs.
We also usually drive to the other parks. If we are going to world showcase, we tend to park at dhs and walk or ride the boat over.
GF - 2009, 2010
WL CL - 2012
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: