Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #211
beckysko
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99 View Post
Thanks for the update! As we usually travel at holiday times (Christmas and Easter) we are used to the resorts being packed so i doubt we'll even notice. And with the big conference going on, it might even feel empty to us!

Oh and I finally brought the luggage down. Off to pick up DD13 from swim camp. Then to the orthodontist. Then to a summer team swim meet tonight. Swim practice in the morning. Cheer show for DD8 in the morning and off to the airport. Will someone tell me when we fit in packing? DW says she'll just stay up all night!
I can't even believe you haven't packed! It is one of my favourite things to do. I feel like I should just drive down there and pack you guys up myself. Although, I suppose it won't take TOO long, as your kiddies are older (aren't THEY excited about packing? It really is the best thing!). My DH however, hasn't packed at all. He is planning on doing it the night before. I, on the other hand, made a two-page list detailing what will go in each suitcase and have packed my own suitcase the baby's suitcase (just have to do the last minute stuff and the random electronics/cords/chargers in the carry on).

CSR in Feb 2014!!!!
2012 split stay GF/AOA (June)2010 Pop Century (July/Aug)2008 Pop Century (Aug)1989/1985/1986 offsite (Vistana)
Old 06-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #212
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
Oh your poor DD having to worry if you changed the trip from the GF to some other resort.
It's not easy traveling with me..you never know where you'll end up

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
pas - "Castle building" - so cute! Now we have "Michael's private elevator in the castle building"!! I have to agree with her, the Poly lounge has a beautiful view of the castle.
She's a Princess with Perfect taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
Oh I didn't see your post before. Oh this made me tear up. Just the sound of excitement in your DD's voice is so
I know! Kiddos are too much!And don't worry your pictures will be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckysko View Post
Just a quick update for everyone going to GF next week (jd99, Lulu's Mom?) DH's work is having their user group conference there, and due to some last minute attendees booking, they called GF to add extra rooms - and the resort is FULL! Now people at his work (hosting) are being asked by his company to share rooms (and get cash compensation) or consider taking rooms at the Poly! Apparently (according to the woman doing all the conference organization) there is a wedding at the GF, as well as SOOO many people booked in for this conference AND the big conference at the Contemp (the one where Obama is speaking at on Thursday). SOOO...just an FYI that next week is a crowded one! On the plus side, most people will be at the conferences, so that means restaurants and pool will probably be less busy!
I hope all of you have safe travels and a Grand vacation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Leaving late this afternoon and checking into GF in the morning!! So excited!!

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #213
jenneth79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't even believe you haven't packed! It is one of my favourite things to do. I feel like I should just drive down there and pack you guys up myself. Although, I suppose it won't take TOO long, as your kiddies are older (aren't THEY excited about packing? It really is the best thing!). My DH however, hasn't packed at all. He is planning on doing it the night before. I, on the other hand, made a two-page list detailing what will go in each suitcase and have packed my own suitcase the baby's suitcase (just have to do the last minute stuff and the random electronics/cords/chargers in the carry on).
Love it!

My DH is the same, I threatened him on the last trip that I was going to pack for him if he didn't at least pick out what he wanted to bring. Considering I am colorblind / deficient, he decided it would be in his best interest to pile up some clothes for me to pack.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #214
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Leaving late this afternoon and checking into GF in the morning!! So excited!!
have a wonderful trip!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #215
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

2 bedroom suite photos

From the hallway

Entry Foyer

Hallway to 1st bedroom

1st bedroom

Sink area 1st bathroom

Bath area 1st bathroom

Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

Old 06-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #216
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

2 bedroom suite photos continued...

Entering living area

Half bath

Living area

2nd balcony

Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

Old 06-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #217
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

2 bedroom suite photos continued...

Entering Master bedroom

Master bedroom

Master bath

Miscellaneous shots

Old 06-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #218
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Miscellaneous Photos

Suite from the outside. It's the two dormers on the right in the group plus the one by itself.

Beach Pool

Lobby from 5th floor

My cutie pie boys walking the beautiful grounds

Electric Water Pageant from the suite

Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #219
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Wowsa! Beautiful photos, i heart the mouse! What wonderful pixie dust to be upgraded with so much room! Thank you for your review and for posting the pictures. Your boys are cuties even from the back!
I'm glad you had a wonderful trip!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #220
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

i_heart_the_mouse - Wonderful photos, thank you!! If I make space on the first page, do you mind if I post some of these? I wish I had left a couple more empty posts, phooey. You think you've left more than enough, but always need more.

I can see why you mentioned some of the rooms have a lot of empty space - feels like they could have more furniture, doesn't it? Still - I'd take it.

beckysko - thanks for the conference update, good to know.

I laughed at your comments about packing being the best part - I HATE to pack! Put it off as long as possible. I'm always so sure I'll forget something, although I don't know why - the few times I have forgotten an item, we've been able to buy it or make do, the world didn't end. Not to mention, I want to pack for every contingency, but don't want to drag tons of luggage around the airports!

bluejasmine - I know I've missed your send off, but safe travels and have a Grand vacation.

jd99 - I hope your DW is NOT up all night, I've nearly done that and it makes for a very long travel day. Not a magical way to start the vacation. I have sometimes been up until 2 a.m. when we have to leave at 5 a.m. for our flight. I have a hard time sleeping before a flight, so afraid we'll miss it - we are 2 hours from the airport.

I often dream we are on our way, and I realize just as we reach KC that we've left our luggage; left our park tickets; left our IDs; forgotten to make a resort reservation...the list goes on and on.

Safe travels and enjoy your vacation.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #221
lrab1126
I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.

Hi all! Heading to GF in six days staying in SL . Quick question... With the pool area being a bit torn up, do they still have the cabanas? Is the bar closed up? Can't wait to get back to our "happy place" !!!! Love reading everyone's updates here and the awesome pics! Thanks!!! Lisa
Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #222
jd99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't want to make your head explode but we are just starting packing. It's 11:30 p.m. DD13 is skipping swim practice at 7 tomorrow AM so that she can get her stuff done. Not the best idea but necessary I guess. Will never plan a trip like this so close to so many other activities.
Upcoming: Magic Med July 14. Past: Dream Jan. 14, Fantasy Nov. 13, GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x3), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #223
koho
Why is the Rum always gone?

I have two quick questions about the grand. We ae thinking of staying here in April 2013 so we are still waiting to make reservations.

Any way, where is the self parking lot? I have heard people that drive there for dinner reservations have to park across the street. Is this the same lot you self park if you are staying at the resort? I only ask because we are driving down.

Secondly, which build provides the best view of the electric water pageant? We are thinking of a lagoon view and my wife and kids love this parade. We just stayed at the the contemporary and could see it from our room. This was one of the biggest reasons for choosing the Grand this next time. My wife did care for the Contemporary. It was very busy and the elevators in the evening were slow and packed.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #224
HFC1969
Grand Floridian Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrab1126 View Post
Hi all! Heading to GF in six days staying in SL . Quick question... With the pool area being a bit torn up, do they still have the cabanas? Is the bar closed up? Can't wait to get back to our "happy place" !!!! Love reading everyone's updates here and the awesome pics! Thanks!!! Lisa

The cabanas are at the other end of the pool opposite of the bar so I am assuming they are there.

However it looks like the bar is completely closed.. or at least it is surrounded by that huge tarp.

We will be there in 2 weeks...
Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #225
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

HFC1969 - Only two weeks to go, woohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99 View Post
Don't want to make your head explode but we are just starting packing. It's 11:30 p.m. DD13 is skipping swim practice at 7 tomorrow AM so that she can get her stuff done. Not the best idea but necessary I guess. Will never plan a trip like this so close to so many other activities.
Good luck, I hope the packing went well! Safe travels and have a wonderful vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrab1126 View Post
Welcome! As HFC1969 posted, the beach pool bar is closed but the cabanas are still open, though I doubt I would book one with the beach pool completely surrounded by fencing. No view of the beach. You can see Jungle Cruiser's photos of the current beach pool on page 1, scroll down to post #5.

The courtyard pool bar is still open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koho View Post
I have two quick questions about the grand. We ae thinking of staying here in April 2013 so we are still waiting to make reservations.

Any way, where is the self parking lot? I have heard people that drive there for dinner reservations have to park across the street. Is this the same lot you self park if you are staying at the resort? I only ask because we are driving down.

Secondly, which build provides the best view of the electric water pageant? We are thinking of a lagoon view and my wife and kids love this parade. We just stayed at the the contemporary and could see it from our room. This was one of the biggest reasons for choosing the Grand this next time. My wife did care for the Contemporary. It was very busy and the elevators in the evening were slow and packed.

Thanks for the help.
Welcome! Yes, the self park is the same lot you hear from others is across Floridian Way. There is a stop light at the crossing, and it isn't a very busy road, but still - across the street. Here is a link to an aerial of the GF; the bigger black topped parking lot is the valet lot. The smaller grey lot across Floridian Way is the self park (not the smaller grey at the top, but to the left or west of the valet lot). http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2932607

Bit of a hike, but many DISers have the driver drop them off at the door, and one person go fetch the car and pick up the rest at the door. Me, I gladly shell out the $12/day for valet! Worth it to me for the convenience, and I love a cool car when I get in.

The best views of the EWP will be from Boca Chica, as it stops very close to it.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 06-15-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: