Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #2191
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Thank you so much Shelly! I knew I could count on you!

Your pictures are perfect for everyone to visualize how it actually looks with the walls.

The one picture you took from the stairs of the slide is a great one. It looks like there is sand behind the walls, and at some point they will open it back up. Seems to be taking such a long time though.

Hoping that it hurries up and is finished soon.

Thanks again for posting them.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #2192
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures

Thank you so much to all of those who have posted recent and honest reviews of the construction at the Grand Floridian.

I am in such a state of conflict with whether to switch our upcoming reservations for late August/September 2012. It has always been our dream to stay at the GF and this trip is a college graduation that has been planned for five years. During every previous trip, during a meal or a visit to the GF, we eagerly anticipated being able to actually stay there for the graduation trip.

Now it is coming up quickly and I am so concerned about the construction. Perhaps I have built this trip up too much in my mind, but we have been anticipating it for so long I don't want to be disappointed by a resort that is just a shell of its former self.

Right now I am considering moving our entire stay to the BC- or even switching the GF for AKL or the Poly.

I know the courtyard pool will be finished by late August, but I am still worried about the DVC building and the beach...

I know how blessed I am that one of my worries is which beautiful Disney resort to stay at but I'm just not sure what to do!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #2193
Chrisrokc
Earning My Ears

I would bet that all the out side construction on the DVC would be done by Mid Summer. They might still have some walls up, but I would imagine things would look much much better.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #2194
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Autumnpalm- We will be there almost around the same time. Honestly, at this point, I can only assume that 1) the CY pool will definitely be open, 2) The DVC construction portion will have moved indoors and 3) Hopefully a lot (most) of the walls that are up now will be down with possibly just a small portion of them up nearest to the DVC building itself.

I may have missed you saying it-- what type room are you in? If you request Sago Key, either side, you will be away from construction.
If you are in Outer CL in Sugar, assuming that the CY pool is completed by then, you will not have construction views. Same goes for Conch Key. Any of those would be fine to be in.

Honestly I really am hoping for things to return to a *new* normal at the resort -- everything to be beautiful again, but with a few adjustments by August/September. Otherwise I NEVER would have made reservations there after this last trip.

If it has always been your dream to stay there, and you are arriving at SUCH a slower time, I say keep your reservation. In 2011, when we went the week of Labor Day (we arrived the Thursday before), the resort was only at 45% capacity, and it was wonderful.

If you get there and are not impressed with the Beach Pool area bc there is still construction going on, you can always go to the CY pool. That is what I did during our Sept trip anyway b/c it was less crowded than the Beach Pool.

This past trip just was a perfect storm for us with the CY pool blue walls being up and the Splash pad-Beach pool-DVC construction walls causing it to be so ugly.

I would keep your reservation, for now at least, and keep an eye on this thread for any delays in construction.
AND-- book a spa treatment there. You'll be so happy!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #2195
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

We did not stay at the GF for our Thanksgiving trip because of Gasparillas and CY pool, we stay Sago. ( we did WL CL and had a wonderful experience) Unexpectedly, we are going again 6/25- 7/5...my husband said we are staying GF, right? I mentioned the mess over by dvc and he said I don't care we don't need the beach. So, I guess it's the Grand!
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 01-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #2196
jd99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnpalm View Post
Thank you so much to all of those who have posted recent and honest reviews of the construction at the Grand Floridian.

I am in such a state of conflict with whether to switch our upcoming reservations for late August/September 2012. It has always been our dream to stay at the GF and this trip is a college graduation that has been planned for five years. During every previous trip, during a meal or a visit to the GF, we eagerly anticipated being able to actually stay there for the graduation trip.

Now it is coming up quickly and I am so concerned about the construction. Perhaps I have built this trip up too much in my mind, but we have been anticipating it for so long I don't want to be disappointed by a resort that is just a shell of its former self.

Right now I am considering moving our entire stay to the BC- or even switching the GF for AKL or the Poly.

I know the courtyard pool will be finished by late August, but I am still worried about the DVC building and the beach...

I know how blessed I am that one of my worries is which beautiful Disney resort to stay at but I'm just not sure what to do!
We were at the GF in June of last year when construction on DVC was just beginning. Yes it was ugly but the GF did a pretty good job of masking it for the most part. We were back at WDW in November (not at the GF but we went there for dinner) and walked around. I think you will be fine. The construction is truly "off to the side" and is part of the growth that we all mostly embrace at WDW. We were in Sugarloaf last June and really had to go out of our way to notice the construction. We are returning (just DD and I) for a daddy-daughter trip in two weeks and I have the GF booked but I am really a bit concerned because of the Courtyard Pool construction. That area is so pretty it is such a big part of the resort that I fear we are going to miss it a lot. Not worried about the swimming part because it looks like it is going to be cool while we are there. And the GF is where DD wants to stay. I was thinking of switching to BC/YC but she just loves the GF. Sticking with it for the moment but our timeframe to make a change is closing quickly. Bottom line for us I guess is that on a quick 3 day weekend trip we aren't at resort THAT much so to have the feel of the GF that we really love and to be that close to the MK should be enough. I hope.
: Upcoming: BC August 22 Past: Magic Med July 14, Dream Jan. 14, Fantasy Nov. 13, GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x3), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
Old 01-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #2197
Chrisrokc
Earning My Ears

After talking with my girlfriend, we are sticking to our guns and braving the Grand Floridian. We figure that if we want to head to the pool, we can just head to the big pool (Typhoon Lagoon) on our park hoppers.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #2198
dragonfly57005
DIS Veteran

DH and I have been debating the timing of a trip this year. We thought about May but aren't sure the construction will be completed. We thought about our traditional Late September/Early Oct timing. now we are leaning towards the January marathon time. DH usually goes by himself for the goofy challenge, but we are leaning towards him running the 5k with our older girls and then the marathon. I think by then all construction will be settled.

I think the dvc will be open by then. Now off to decide if we want to try that or if we would rather stay club level. Not sure.

Trying to keep up on the construction.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #2199
nalia
Earning My Ears

I really want to thank everyone for their honest opinions and the photos. It really gives me a better sense of what to expect. I think we are going to stick to our Grand plans for now and see how things go over the next month.

We are thinking of upgrading to TPV. Do all of these rooms have unobstructed views? Any particular building we should request for a good view and away from the construction?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #2200
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

After reading about the courtyard pool and the beach access, I contacted the IPO at the GF. Their response was that the CY pool will be done by February. We'll see. Also, at this point, they don't know if there is going to be any beach access! I find that hard to believe, but you never know. Wanted to keep everyone in the loop.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #2201
Chrisrokc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
After reading about the courtyard pool and the beach access, I contacted the IPO at the GF. Their response was that the CY pool will be done by February. We'll see. Also, at this point, they don't know if there is going to be any beach access! I find that hard to believe, but you never know. Wanted to keep everyone in the loop.
I talked to our travel agent and she said that over new years there was sand and beach. Who knowssss. I am sure it will be grand though
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #2202
toodycat
DIS Veteran

We were there in September and the CY pool was closed, Gasparilla's was replaced by a QS by the beach pool and the beach was closed. We had a TPV RPC room and the view was still lovely. We were with four others who had never been to the GF before and they still loved it. The lobby was still gorgeous, the restaurants were excellent, the service was great, the transportation options are superior and you can still watch the fireworks from the dock. The GF is still lovely and special. I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying there.
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #2203
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures

Thank you so much for the input.

I think we will keep our reservation at the GF- it has always been our dream to stay there and this may be our only chance (with the Labor Day discount from Magical Vacations- we could never afford rack rate). So we will not be discouraged by the construction and hope that the GF is as beautiful and magical as it always has been to us!

This thread is so helpful for updates, advice and information, thank you to everyone who posts- it is a great resource!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #2204
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

autumnpalm, we are going at around the same time you're going. I was a little worried but I'm hoping that the only construction remaining will be the DVC, which won't affect us as much. We like to stay as close to MK as possible, so I was really looking forward to giving GF a try!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #2205
butternut
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if the GF has single serve coffee pots and if so what kind of coffee pods do they have? Can we bring our own single serve pods? Thanks all!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: