Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #2176
Chrisrokc
Earning My Ears

Curious to know about the beach... I had no idea it was closed. From pictures it doesn't look like it is. Can anyone confirm?

I would hate to switch to Poly, but something has to give. If the courtyard pool really does open by March 1st, I would be happy.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #2177
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Glovergirls- You're welcome. I really have been hesitant to share my thoughts on the GF's current state since I really love it there, but wanted to let others know my opinion so that they go into it knowing how it really is.

There is no sand at all, no beach access.

From the DVC area all the way around the back side of the Beach Pool, around where the beach used to be at the entrance to that pool, towards where the hammocks used to be and behind where the Alice Splash pad is now--- is a wall that blocks the beach access totally. There's no beach, no sand.

Tam1067- Yes, you're right. The DVC is huge in person and it is very imposing. We are hoping that by September the whole construction issue will be done with. After that trip, we will decide if it's worth us continuing to go back or not.

Chrisrokc- As I said above, the beach is closed. I hope that the CY pool opens in time for you, but based on this post from wdwmagic from yesterday, IDK that it will.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disn...ian-resort.htm

A couple of refurbishments are scheduled that will impact the beach pool at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort.

First up is a refurbishment of the beach pool slide, from 24 February 2013 to 8 March 2013. Secondly, the beach pool will be closed completely from 7 March to 8 March 2013. The courtyard pool is currently closed for refurbishment, and that is tentatively scheduled to reopen on 16 March 2013.

I think the Poly is beautiful--- it's our second favorite resort. If we couldn't stay at the GF I would have no problem at all staying there again. I don't know when it's supposed to happen but I have read that the pool there is scheduled for a refurb, so I would double check if that is a deal breaker for you before changing resorts. Good luck in your decision.
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #2178
JoBird
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Just wanted to show you the walls that are up. This picture was taken in October, but in December they were still there.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disn...ing-aerial.htm

See the Beach Pool? The blue walls line the entire beach area and block all access to it, all the way behind the Splash pad area that is out of the picture on the right hand side.

I have pictures I took myself but photobucket is not cooperating with my computer and I haven't been able to upload them from the trip, otherwise I'd post them.

HTH.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #2179
glovergirls
Mouseketeer

So just so I understand this right (we haven't been since last Feb) the area right across from the main building, closer to BPK, where the hammocks were that was covered with sand is completly gone??? Or am I missing something? I think that may be a deal breaker for us as my kids LOVE the sand.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #2180
Chrisrokc
Earning My Ears

Holycow! That is just crazy... It wasn't like that in the beginning when they had the beach pool bar taken apart. I saw pictures and the sand looked fine. I wonder why Disney made the bone head move of removing the beach on the resort side. Then on top of that they don't mention it in any construction listings......
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #2181
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

JoBird, I want to thank you for your honest opinions on this thread. I stayed there last April and shared similar opinions on here about the construction (in a nutshell, i thought it was ridiculous and was shocked at how obtrusive it was). And I am most certainly a fellow GF lover.

If I am understanding correctly, the situation is even worse than I realized, as it looks from pictures that the area with the hammocks is completely gone forever? I had no idea. When I visited it was just blocked off.

While I hope to visit again I do not think things will ever be the same there.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #2182
JoBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovergirls View Post
So just so I understand this right (we haven't been since last Feb) the area right across from the main building, closer to BPK, where the hammocks were that was covered with sand is completly gone??? Or am I missing something? I think that may be a deal breaker for us as my kids LOVE the sand.
Where the hammocks used to be, is now the Alice Splash pad. As of December when we were there, blue walls were behind it that blocked beach access, so there was no sand and no hammocks right now. It might return later but for now, no sand.

In the first picture here http://www.diszine.com/content/new-a...oridian-resort
you can see the walls a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
Holycow! That is just crazy... It wasn't like that in the beginning when they had the beach pool bar taken apart. I saw pictures and the sand looked fine. I wonder why Disney made the bone head move of removing the beach on the resort side. Then on top of that they don't mention it in any construction listings......
I'm guessing they blocked the beach bc of DVC access? IDK. It's all so close together now, all squished in with the walls blocking it. I'm hopeful that once they finish the outside of the DVC portion they will somehow make more beach with sand bc that is what my kids loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethclayton View Post
JoBird, I want to thank you for your honest opinions on this thread. I stayed there last April and shared similar opinions on here about the construction (in a nutshell, i thought it was ridiculous and was shocked at how obtrusive it was). And I am most certainly a fellow GF lover.

If I am understanding correctly, the situation is even worse than I realized, as it looks from pictures that the area with the hammocks is completely gone forever? I had no idea. When I visited it was just blocked off.

While I hope to visit again I do not think things will ever be the same there.
Thanks. I think maybe people who have stayed before would understand but for first timers, they might be ok? IDK.
I'm not sure about the sand being gone from there forever. IDK what they would have to do to make a beach beyond where the Splash pad is now. Surely they will do something to bring back the beach, even if it's just a bit of it. It's just taking a long dang time to do it.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #2183
glovergirls
Mouseketeer

WOW!!!!! Thank you so much for clarifying that, I am total shock, I didn't realize that was where the splash pad went. I completly missed that. That was the most relaxing area my kids would play in the sand and while we relaxed in the hammock. So sad, I'm so glad I know this ahead of time as I would have been really bummed to find out when we arrived . Thanks you so much, I really appreciate it!!!

I am going to have to think long at hard on what to do. But with it as expensive as the GF is (even with a discount) I'm just not sure it's worth it ((( I think I'm more sad then anything because my family had never even considered another resort before. I think we will prob switch to BC or YC.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #2184
JoBird

You are very welcome! As I said, I wanted everyone to know fully my opinions on it. Before we went, I couldn't understand how it could be right there, but it is.

I think it's a terrible placement for the Splash Pad. It's too close to the Main building, and it took over what I thought was one of the best parts of the GF-the hammocks and sand.

Maybe one day the sand will return, but that area and the wonderful peaceful feeling it evoked is long gone I'm afraid.

Good luck in your decison with the resort.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #2185
JoBird

Okay one more picture before I enjoy my Friday evening...

This was a post from Dec 23 - check out the first picture-

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=226

Hope that shows it to you a little better.

Have a good night everyone! Happy planning, and changing and rearranging to you.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #2186
Chrisrokc
Earning My Ears

So it is basically like this minus the splash pad? Red being the walls...

Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #2187
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
So it is basically like this minus the splash pad? Red being the walls...

Roughly, yes. I don't recall it being that imposing on Big Pine Key, there may actually be a small strip of beach left. It's been a couple months since I've been down so my memory is a little fuzzy.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #2188
glovergirls
Mouseketeer

Have a great weekend!!! Can't thank you guys enough!!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #2189
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

i feel like when it is all done, when you are anywhere on the beach pool side of the resort, you are going to have this big imposing building looming over you. i really hope i'm wrong.

Last edited by bethclayton; 01-18-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #2190
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Here are a few pics from last month that may help you all understand a little better...

This is where the beach entrance by the pool used to be.

I took this one from about half way up the stairs to the slide, looking back towards the GF.

And the walls extend over by the pool bar, so no beach access there.

And the walls extend the whole way along the new Alice in Wonderland splash area.

Just no beach access at all. I knew there was construction and walls before we went, but no idea it was so much and that there was no beach access at all. As much as we liked our room and our stay there, I would not stay there again until the walls come down and hopefully there is beach access again.

There are even more pics in my GF review here ~ http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3035236

Hope that helps.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: