Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #2161
cgulls
Mouseketeer

additional short closings

maybe this is old news but I hadn't seen the last two of these closings related to the Beach Pool.

These are from http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/refurb.asp

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
• Now – Feb. 5, 2013: Valet parking lot mill and overlay will occur. • Now – Feb. 6, 2013: Ivy Trellis Salon will be closed for refurbishment. American Beauty Salon and Captain's Chair at Disney's Contemporary Resort, or Casa de Belleza Salon at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort available. Guests may call 407-824-3410 to book an appointment.
•Now – February 2013: Courtyard Pool will be closed for refurbishment. The Beach Pool will remain open during this time. Beaches Pool Bar & Grill will be open.
• Now – February 2013: Courtyard Pool Bar will be closed for refurbishment. Beaches Pool Bar & Grill will be open.
Now – To Be Determined: Grand Floridian Beach area is closed due to construction.
• Feb. 24 – March 8, 2013: The Beach Pool Slide will be closed for refurbishment. The Poll will remain open.
• March 7 – 8, 2013: Beach pool will be closed for deck cleaning and caulking.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #2162
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
Just a few questions before we arrive on Friday as first-timers!

1. We plan on doing Valet for the car. When we pay the next day what are some payment options? I've done Valet before but used TIW card for dining so it was free and we tipped the drivers.

Thanks in advance!
Hi!

The valet charge will be added to your room bill charges. It will show on your invoice the day you check out as "GF Valet Parking". It costs $15 a day to valet, plus tips. We usually tip anywhere from $3-$5 cash to whoever is valeting our car, depending on what we have on us and if we are dropping off or picking up for the day.

We love using it--- so nice to just pull up and walk right in!

Have a great trip!
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #2163
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99 View Post
When we stayed at the Poly and they were working on their pool area, we were encouraged to walk to the GF for the hot tub. Did the Poly put in a hot tub with that rehab. Haven't stayed there since so I don't know and if that is the case, I'd think that going there would be ok.
The Poly does not have a hot tub. The feature pool at the Poly will be rehabbed sometime in the near future. There are conflicting reports on the dates...either end of Feb or beginning of March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
maybe this is old news but I hadn't seen the last two of these closings related to the Beach Pool.

These are from http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/refurb.asp

• Now – Feb. 5, 2013: Valet parking lot mill and overlay will occur. • Now – Feb. 6, 2013: Ivy Trellis Salon will be closed for refurbishment. American Beauty Salon and Captain's Chair at Disney's Contemporary Resort, or Casa de Belleza Salon at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort available. Guests may call 407-824-3410 to book an appointment.
•Now – February 2013: Courtyard Pool will be closed for refurbishment. The Beach Pool will remain open during this time. Beaches Pool Bar & Grill will be open.
• Now – February 2013: Courtyard Pool Bar will be closed for refurbishment. Beaches Pool Bar & Grill will be open.
Now – To Be Determined: Grand Floridian Beach area is closed due to construction.
• Feb. 24 – March 8, 2013: The Beach Pool Slide will be closed for refurbishment. The Poll will remain open.
• March 7 – 8, 2013: Beach pool will be closed for deck cleaning and caulking.
The travel agent site list the courtyard pool as being closed until April 11. Does this mean there will be no pool for a couple of days?

Me DH DS(16) DS(14) DS(11) DS(10) DD(8) DD(7)
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon), OCT 13 CSR (Grand Gathering)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #2164
outahere

We are currently booked Sugarloaf CL next month, but are concerned about the pool construction. We requested a marina view, but with our luck we'll end up looking at the construction.

Anyone care to comment on how the construction is impacting CL guests staying in Sugarloaf?

Thanks.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #2165
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleofafamily View Post
The Poly does not have a hot tub. The feature pool at the Poly will be rehabbed sometime in the near future. There are conflicting reports on the dates...either end of Feb or beginning of March.

The travel agent site list the courtyard pool as being closed until April 11. Does this mean there will be no pool for a couple of days?
April 11? Ruh roh. Public Disney site says March.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #2166
Chrisrokc
Earning My Ears

I have talked to the Grand Floridian and they say that the courtyard pool will be open by March 1st if not sooner. This matches what is on their webpage.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/res...esort-and-spa/

They didn't mention any other pool related items that would be down.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #2167
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
I have talked to the Grand Floridian and they say that the courtyard pool will be open by March 1st if not sooner. This matches what is on their webpage.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/res...esort-and-spa/

They didn't mention any other pool related items that would be down.
I choose to believe what Chrisrokc heard than what the travel agent site says . ... because it makes me feel better.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #2168
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post
Hi!

The valet charge will be added to your room bill charges. It will show on your invoice the day you check out as "GF Valet Parking". It costs $15 a day to valet, plus tips. We usually tip anywhere from $3-$5 cash to whoever is valeting our car, depending on what we have on us and if we are dropping off or picking up for the day.

We love using it--- so nice to just pull up and walk right in!

Have a great trip!
Thanks! Were just staying for one night so I'm assuming it will be one charge as we won't arrive till 4:30pm tomorrow and will be gone by 1 or 2pm on Saturday as we check into POFQ on Saturday. Thanks for the help! I got ones for tips today
Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #2169
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

For the first time ever in all the 8 years that we have stayed at the GF in SL or RPC, the IPO never contacted our TA prior to our visit. This time they did! IPO sent an email to our AAA TA with a form for us to fill out for our dining requests so that they could make them for us.

I sent my dining requests on to them on Wednesday and yesterday, our 180 day mark, I received confirmation back from the IPO with our dining confirmations.

Is this something new? IPO has made our dining requests before, but I always contacted them first.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #2170
nalia
Earning My Ears

Hi Everyone!

We have a trip planned at the GF 2/28-3/7 and I am starting to get really nervous about all of the construction going on. When we booked the pool had a completion date of December 2012 and at this point I don't think there is hope of it being done in time for our trip. And now the slide at the other pool will be down when we are there too!

I am wondering if some of you could provide some feedback of your recent trips. Is it like staying in the middle of a construction zone? Is it really noisy? Does it totally take away the Grand feeling of staying at the GF? Are any areas of the outside without construction walls?

Also, I am thinking of upgrading to a TPV, is it worth it? Is it an unobstructed view?

I have read good and bad reviews for the GF since the construction happened and just really want to know that it will still be grand. Thanks in advance for your responses!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #2171
butternut
Earning My Ears

I also was wondering the same regarding construction at GF. Our trip is mmMarch 14th for the week and sure would like to be put somewhere away from the site.Where exactly is the dvc construction and what building would be the best to request to not view the work? Thanks
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #2172
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

I can not provide a link but this is from the travel agent site:

Courtyard Pool - (The Beach Pool will remain open during this time.) 09/10/12 - April 11, 2013

Courtyard Pool Bar - Beaches Pool Bar & Grill is available. 09/10/12 - March 2013

Ivy Trellis Beauty and Barber Shop - The Ivy Trellis Salon will be closed during this time. American Beauty Salon and Captain's Chair at Disney's Contemporary Resort, or Casa de Belleza Salon at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort available. Guests may call 407-824-3410 to book an appointment. 12/02/12 - 02/08/13

Beach Pool - Pool will be closed during this time 03/07/13 - 03/08/13

Beach Pool Slide 02/24/13 - 03/08/13

Me DH DS(16) DS(14) DS(11) DS(10) DD(8) DD(7)
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon), OCT 13 CSR (Grand Gathering)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #2173
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Okay you asked for honest opinions--

You'll get them from me.

I'm a Grand Floridian fan. There's not another hotel on property that comes close to giving me that euphoric feeling I have when we drive onto the property. I will tell anyone about how much I love it, how I think it's the best place in Disney World to stay.

We went this last trip December 8-12 staying in Sugar Loaf again. It's where we love to be, it's our "spot".

I requested Marina view, asking them to place me as close to room 6319 as possible.

When we got there, of course it was very busy as it was right in the middle of the Holiday season.

We were in room 6313, third floor, overlooking the marina. Perfect location for us. Sago Key across the water, monorail going past. Beautiful.

The following sentiments are mine alone, after staying at the GF both before, and now during, construction.

The construction IMO---- is awful. It's ugly and THERE. There's no way to NOT see it. When you walk out the back door of the Main bldg you see blue walls. They are all along the courtyard pool. If we had been in a room overlooking that sight, and down into what is going on behind the walls, I would have been very upset after paying the amount we did for our room.

That said-- I never once heard any noise coming from behind it, but I don't think they were working at all while we were there.

Moving on to the Alice and Wonderland Splash area.
I hate it.

I know that is harsh and I don't like to use that word. I use it sparingly in life because it is so strong. But the new area deserves that word for me to use in describing my feelings.
The area used to be nice with sand and palm trees and hammocks. It gave a distinct peace and air of dignity to the resort that has been replaced with loud Dinging of bells that can be heard all over the resort, followed by screams of children.
While I realize that Disney is "for kids" (I have 3 myself), the Grand Floridian had a certain aura around it that was regal and calm. Sadly it is there no more and I'm not sure it ever will be there again. I understand that they felt the need to make the GF more enticing to families, and this splash pad could have worked, if they had put it somewhere else on property, maybe next to the DVC. Where it sits now makes no sense to me at all.

The beach pool as it is now, it's sad. No beach access at all. No sand. Walls behind you with the steel shell of DVC being built as you swim along. The chairs are scootched together and you feel pretty on top of your neighbors while you're sunbathing.

Which brings me to the DVC itself.

While I think it will be a beautiful addition once it is finished, the way it is now is ugly. It's there, you notice it. I don't know how the finished building will be as far as what they do with beach access. All I know is that with the way it is now, the Grand certainly is not "Grand" in the way it once was.

With all of this said-- how will it affect my staying there?
I honestly don't know.
We have a trip planned again for Labor Day. I am hoping that by then things will have settled down and they will be working inside the DVC by then.
If I was given a chance to stay there in the next couple of months knowing how it looks right now or going somewhere else, I would choose somewhere else. And that is crazy coming from me, who loves it so much.

Again, you asked for honest opinions, and these are mine. I know we all want the Grand to be back to her former lovely self and hopefully one day she will be. Right now though, IMO, she is unfortunately only a shell of what she once was.

Hope this helps someone in their decision.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #2174
glovergirls
Mouseketeer

@JoBird thank you do much for that review. It is greatly appreciated. We have always been huge fans and it is our favorite place to stay but I am really struggling with whether or not to change our resort next month.

Is there any sand left anywhere right now or did they get rid of all of it??
Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #2175
Tam1067
LOVES LOVES LOVES the Poly

We were there Jan. 2-6. We were fortunate enough to be put in a marina side room in Sago Cay, so we did not see or hear construction from our room. Also, the weather was not that warm when we were there, so my kids did not care about swimming.

The new Gasparilla's is beautiful.

The construction is ugly. If we had been in a room looking out on it, I would have been very upset. The walls around the courtyard pool do take away from the atmosphere of the entire resort. The DVC building is larger than it appears online, so the construction there is really imposing too.

We do love the GF, and we plan to return next December, for either Xmas ir New Year, but I am waiting to see what happens with construction before deciding if we will do the GF again or try something else. I think that will depend on the state of construction as we get closer.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: