Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #1951
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam1067 View Post
We are arriving January 2. I am very upset about how they have still not officially updated the website or informed guests like me who are arriving in early January.

I would also like them to clarify whether or not Gasparilla's will be open since the food options without it are going to be limited. If we had known about the reality, we would not have stayed there.
You still have time to see if there is availability elsewhere since you don't think you'll be happy at GF...why don't you just call and check?

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #1952
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Any recent photos of the pool construction area? We'll be there in a few weeks. I don't think we will change as we've never stayed here before and have been looking forward to it. A lot of our restaurant plans revolve around the GF as well - Christmas Eve at Citricos and V&A later in the week for my dw and me.

Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #1953
Tam1067
LOVES LOVES LOVES the Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1

You still have time to see if there is availability elsewhere since you don't think you'll be happy at GF...why don't you just call and check?
I have been trying.

1/2 and 1/3 are booked fairly solid, to the point that many resorts have nothing at all. The Poly had a GV available, but we had a bad experience there a couple of years ago, and we did not want to return. We have an AP rate for our nights. And since we are 5, WL and AKL are out. They do have rooms at the AP rate there, but we would have to get 2 rooms which would make them much more expensive. It bothers me because when I booked the AP rate several weeks ago, we had lots of options but the options are quite limited now for our dates. When we booked, I was told the pool would be done. Had i known about the pool, I would have considered the situation differently. I still have not received a letter either even though we are arriving in less than a month.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #1954
glovergirls
Mouseketeer

Pool

I sent an email to Disney because I too was not a happy camper. We had a trip scheduled for October that we had to cancel and purposely scheduled this one around the pool rehab. Any how the phone call I got said they are anticipating that the pool will only be closed through the first week of Feb, we arrive Feb 20. But I know with Disney 20 people can call and you can get 20 different answers . What are people there now being told for an opening date?? I was extremely bummed as my girls spend A LOT of time in the pool so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that hopefully this person is right and not switching resorts, yet.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #1955
VS85
Mouseketeer

Buses

Hey guys, quick question - how often do the buses run from GF to the other resorts and parks? Is there a schedule or do they run in intervals, like every 10 mins or every half-hour? Are the first buses in the mornings usually busy? This will help me a lot with planning... Thanks for any help!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #1956
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

Hi, we just got home yesterday and one of the cast members told me that it could be early spring they were working on it though, good luck! They seem to be changing things everyday
Old 12-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #1957
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

Hi VS85, we just got home yesterday and because the parks close early we caught a cab to some parks because we waited one day 25 minutes to go to Hollywood Studios just found it to be easier if you are arriving to the parks mid morning it seems after breakfast the buses were backed up a bit! We watched 4 buses arrive going to animal kingdom and none to hollywood studios they kept moving the time up on the screen,so we caught a cab
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #1958
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Jojo,
Did the construction in the pool area bother you, or was it a non issue? We'll be there in a couple wks.

Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #1959
DREAMS161
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamj View Post
Know that I think about it, we made our reservations specifically around the opening dates they gave us, (when we called to book it we talked to someone on site due to some problems last Dec), for both the pool and GG. I think that might be why we got a letter.

Dreams, when are you going to be there?
** Sorry for the delay ...We arrive Dec 10. I am just hoping all be fine at this point. I did just receive the letter in the mail detailing the delays. Fingers crossed it will be a great stay no matter what I admit I am more nervous than excited about our arrival but keeping a positive attitude.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #1960
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

Hi Cousin Orville,

It was not an issue for us because we spend most of our time in the parks and I was really quite surprised it didn,t look as bad as I thought it would be with all the walls around it.We had two rooms in Boca Chica lagoon view and saw the fireworks everynight,we didn't hear any construction at all except when we were leaving to go to the parks. Hope you have a wonderful time
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #1961
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

Hi Dreams 161

We try to visit the Grand once a year and we just got back yesterday and we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be,we missed the grill being closed and the walls around the pool didn't look that bad we just made the best of it the cast members made us feel at home as usual.We just kept saying the next time we go it will all be done and I am sure it will be beautiful.Have a Grand time
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #1962
runskimom
Earning My Ears

Conch Key -- MOVE!!!

I am just returned home from a week's stay at the Grand. I was a huge advocate for this resort and have loved past stays, but I was let down this trip. We were assigned to Conch Key with two guestrooms on the ground floor immediately adjacent to the elevator, right off the common area. After suffering a few nights I relented and went to the front desk at midnight to request a room change. The elevator motor room was directly behind my headboard and I would listen to the motor and the ding dong of the elevator all night long. It was insufferable. Plus, the teenagers who congregated in the common area directly outside our door until 2AM did not help. Then there was the parking area for the little delivery carts that was right outside our patio. It was awful. If you get assigned this room --- DON"T TAKE IT!

We were then moved to the third floor at a room down the hallway, which was much quieter. It would have been better, except for the fact that there was NO HOT WATER for three of our days!!! I spoke to a manager and politely told her my concerns that that this should have been fixed after the first occurrence, not left to repeat and repeat. She told me that the building-wide boiler for all of Conch Key is very old and the air compressor is broken. It is a big fix and a permanent solution will take "quite a while." Maintenance tried to fashion a temporary fix, but let me tell you, you cannot rely on this. If you get assigned to Conch Key, ask for a reassignment, unless you like cold showers.

Next time, Boardwalk.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #1963
DREAMS161
Mouseketeer

Hi jojomickey!! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for the encouraging feedback. It is our favorite resort too and I bet the magic will outweigh any difficulties- and just think we'll be able to look back after renovations are beautifully complete and say "remember when?!!"
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #1964
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

Sorry this happened to you we were in Boca Chica had no problem,I'm surprised they didn't offer you a credit of some kind
Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #1965
Ame4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by runskimom
I am just returned home from a week's stay at the Grand. I was a huge advocate for this resort and have loved past stays, but I was let down this trip. We were assigned to Conch Key with two guestrooms on the ground floor immediately adjacent to the elevator, right off the common area. After suffering a few nights I relented and went to the front desk at midnight to request a room change. The elevator motor room was directly behind my headboard and I would listen to the motor and the ding dong of the elevator all night long. It was insufferable. Plus, the teenagers who congregated in the common area directly outside our door until 2AM did not help. Then there was the parking area for the little delivery carts that was right outside our patio. It was awful. If you get assigned this room --- DON"T TAKE IT!

We were then moved to the third floor at a room down the hallway, which was much quieter. It would have been better, except for the fact that there was NO HOT WATER for three of our days!!! I spoke to a manager and politely told her my concerns that that this should have been fixed after the first occurrence, not left to repeat and repeat. She told me that the building-wide boiler for all of Conch Key is very old and the air compressor is broken. It is a big fix and a permanent solution will take "quite a while." Maintenance tried to fashion a temporary fix, but let me tell you, you cannot rely on this. If you get assigned to Conch Key, ask for a reassignment, unless you like cold showers.

Next time, Boardwalk.
What a bummer! So sorry to hear this. We were in Conch Key, 4th floor a few weeks ago and our room was fine. We had a great view of marina and monorails, and if we craned our necks over the balcony we could see the castle. We were disappointed with the lack of quick service options due to the construction.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: