Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #1786
pas130
DIS Veteran
 
pas130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,093

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
pas130 - GF Cafe next Thursday! Here's hoping the gingerbread house is in progress...haven't heard anything so far, maybe I'll check around the web this afternoon.
I have been searching the web like a mad woman HRH really wants some gingerbread...hoping we can at least get a glimpse of the beginnings at least...
__________________

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #1787
Princess-ish
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 66

Has anyone heard of a room refurb or linens refresh in the near future? While I have no complaints of the current conditions... the GF and AKL are soon to be the last deluxe properties with patterned bed spreads.

After the WL's major refurb and soon to be refurb at the Poly... the GF just seems so lacking in the room decor category!

I was set on the BC for our Sept trip... but I'm falling in the love with the overall resort changes! For whatever reason though... I just can't get over the rooms for that price point!
Princess-ish is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #1788
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
pas130 - GF Cafe next Thursday! Here's hoping the gingerbread house is in progress...haven't heard anything so far, maybe I'll check around the web this afternoon.

CoachBagFanatic - sorry about canceling the trip. Congrats to your son, though, what a great program. Very exciting! You are, indeed, blessed to have such a great kid.



Garden view in both Conch Key and Sago Cay, and yes, the marina view is considered garden view! With Conch, you could end up with a courtyard pool view; in Sago, you could get a back landscape/monorail view. Be sure to request a view of the marina, and ask again at check in.



Sounds like you are having car issues, or are you simply ready for a new vehicle? Either way, sorry you may have to postpone a vacation, phooey. Still, a new car is exciting!



Thank you for this info, clears that up! With these rooms directly over Gasparilla's, it makes sense to wait until the construction is nearly finished to open those rooms for booking. No reason to move people if they don't have to do so.

i_heart_the_mouse - with Gasparilla's scheduled to be finished by mid-December, IPO is probably waiting to move people who are scheduled after the projected dates. Here's hoping they will finish on time and your RPC stay is perfect!
I hope we don't get moved but I am starting to get nervous. The fact that I am an addicted resort changer doesn't help.

I'd rather just change now and accept it then get stuck somewhere else that I don't want to be but my DH doesn't want me to change. Although I will say haven't mentioned to him that it is possible we may get walked. Maybe I should fill him in
__________________
(Me) (DH) (DS 10) (DS 9)(DS 7)(DD 2)
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!




.
i_heart_the_mouse is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #1789
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures
 
autumnpalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess-ish View Post
Has anyone heard of a room refurb or linens refresh in the near future? While I have no complaints of the current conditions... the GF and AKL are soon to be the last deluxe properties with patterned bed spreads.

After the WL's major refurb and soon to be refurb at the Poly... the GF just seems so lacking in the room decor category!

I was set on the BC for our Sept trip... but I'm falling in the love with the overall resort changes! For whatever reason though... I just can't get over the rooms for that price point!
Just want to say- I agree with you completely. We are booked for the GF for next August and could not be more thrilled to be staying there but it seems very odd to me that the rooms still have those old patterned bedspreads. As Disney's flagship resort, I would imagine they would have the highest room standards. It would be nice to see rooms refurbished by next August but either way, we will be thrilled to pieces just to be staying at the Grand!
__________________
"Trust the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)
autumnpalm is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #1790
DisneyShamrock
I would do anything for love, run right into hell and back. I would do anything for love, never lie to you and that's a fact....
 
DisneyShamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 748

What are the room configurations at the Grand? We tend to like two beds and a sink out of the bathroom. Are there rooms like this? How likely would we be to get one if we make a request on our reservation?

Thank you!
__________________
When I first saw Cinderella Castle after leaving the Contemporary on my very first trip to Disney World,
I looked at my mom with my
seven-year-old dreamy eyes and said, "I'm going to get married here."
Updated 9/12/2013: Our Wishes Wedding~11/7/2013~WP/WHR~Updated 9/19: Tuxes & BM dresses

My Disney Vacations: 1994 - 1996 - 1998 - 1999 - 2000 - 2001 (Twice) - 2002 - 2003 - 2004 - 2005
2009 - 2010 - Dec 2012 (1st MVMCP) - May 2013 (Planning Session) - Nov 2013 (Wedding)


Future Trips: ? Disneyland May 2014 ?
DisneyShamrock is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #1791
jillmc40
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 445

I've been home for one month today.....I WANT TO GO BACK!!!!!

CoachBagFanatic - That sounds like a wonderful program for your son...My kids are still very young...My oldest is in Kindergarten, but I won't take her out of school more than one day for a vacation. I already miss the days when she wasn't in school, and I feel guilt for being sad too

Princess-ish - I was just on the BC Villas page today because I have always wanted to stay there so I can walk to Epcot. The regular BC looked so nice with the solid spreads...BCV had floral spreads and it instantly looked shabby to me! I wonder if BCV have been updated since the pictures I saw, but I have to say I didn't notice them as much at GF...Maybe I was just in lala land

Who else got this silly snow yesterday? Maybe that will mean we will have a mild winter again!! After that crazy hurricane and now this, I need another vacation!!! I am booked for Feb - off prop for a week, then a few days at AKL. We plan to eat at GF a few times though...I can't go to WDW and not visit GF!
jillmc40 is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #1792
Melodious
DIS Veteran
 
Melodious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 800

We're on the DME to the Grand Floridian!! I just wanted to let everyone know a piece of advice in case someone has the same issue we did. If you have an additional person joining you for part of your trip who arrives on the plane with you but is not yet listed on your package or resort reservation (you'll check the person in at the resort), simply go to the DME and let them know and they will print off an additional voucher to ride the DME. We didn't have to separate or pay extra, simply the resort charge when we check in! Disney made it easy as usual
__________________
Melodious is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #1793
runskimom
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyShamrock View Post
What are the room configurations at the Grand? We tend to like two beds and a sink out of the bathroom. Are there rooms like this? How likely would we be to get one if we make a request on our reservation?

Thank you!
Yes, this is exactly how they are. The sink area is separate from the commode and bath/shower. I'm fairly sure that they are ALL like this. I'm sure there are pictures on this board somewhere! And yes, they do have double bed rooms.
runskimom is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #1794
DisneyShamrock
I would do anything for love, run right into hell and back. I would do anything for love, never lie to you and that's a fact....
 
DisneyShamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by runskimom View Post
Yes, this is exactly how they are. The sink area is separate from the commode and bath/shower. I'm fairly sure that they are ALL like this. I'm sure there are pictures on this board somewhere! And yes, they do have double bed rooms.
Thank you runskimom.

Is there is a door to close off the sinks at all? I found some photos, and it looks like there should be, but it's hard to tell.
__________________
When I first saw Cinderella Castle after leaving the Contemporary on my very first trip to Disney World,
I looked at my mom with my
seven-year-old dreamy eyes and said, "I'm going to get married here."
Updated 9/12/2013: Our Wishes Wedding~11/7/2013~WP/WHR~Updated 9/19: Tuxes & BM dresses

My Disney Vacations: 1994 - 1996 - 1998 - 1999 - 2000 - 2001 (Twice) - 2002 - 2003 - 2004 - 2005
2009 - 2010 - Dec 2012 (1st MVMCP) - May 2013 (Planning Session) - Nov 2013 (Wedding)


Future Trips: ? Disneyland May 2014 ?
DisneyShamrock is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #1795
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 603

No, it is open off the little entry area. Across from the closets.
__________________
Me DHDS19 DS15
DL Off-Site - 1968, 1980
WDW Off-Ste - 1972, 1984, 1989, 2002
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
DetTigsGal is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #1796
followthatmouse
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 229

It's Saturday morning down here at Chez Follow. I woke early to watch the golf from WDW. Well, actually, I wasn't watching for the sport, but rather for the occasional peeks of the GF and MK through the trees of Magnolia Course. The best part was the wonderfully evocative sound of the whistles of the Railroad in the MK and the boats on Seven Seas Lagoon. It made my day just to think of hearing those sounds in person next month.
__________________
Enjoying WDW since 1978.

followthatmouse is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #1797
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by followthatmouse
It's Saturday morning down here at Chez Follow. I woke early to watch the golf from WDW. Well, actually, I wasn't watching for the sport, but rather for the occasional peeks of the GF and MK through the trees of Magnolia Course. The best part was the wonderfully evocative sound of the whistles of the Railroad in the MK and the boats on Seven Seas Lagoon. It made my day just to think of hearing those sounds in person next month.
We do the same thing. We go for Thanksgiving week, so when we arrive some of the stands are still up. We turn it on for the glimpses of the poly and listen for the whistle and we say " next week we will be there...
__________________
Me DHDS19 DS15
DL Off-Site - 1968, 1980
WDW Off-Ste - 1972, 1984, 1989, 2002
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
DetTigsGal is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #1798
Mary T in PA


Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 1,080

We have a reservation for the week after Thanksgiving, RPC TPV. After reading thru some posts, I decided to call IPO to double check that everything was ok with our reservation. IPO just told me that my reservation is fine, we do have RPC, TPV, for the week after Thanksgiving. She said we would either be on the 3rd or 4th fl.

All of the rooms on the 2nd floor Main Bldg are out of service due to the construction work being done at Gasperella's. She stated that many of the room on the 2nd fl are king rooms.
__________________

Last edited by Mary T in PA; 11-10-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Mary T in PA is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #1799
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran
 
k&a&c'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T in PA View Post
We have a reservation for the week after Thanksgiving, RPC TPV. After reading thru some posts, I decided to call IPO to double check that everything was ok with our reservation. IPO just told me that my reservation is fine, we do have RPC, TPV, for the week after Thanksgiving. She said we would either be on the 3rd or 4th fl.

All of the rooms on the 2nd floor Main Bldg are out of service due to the construction work being done at Gasperella's. She stated that many of the room on the 2nd fl are king rooms.
Glad to hear your reservation will stand, good to know the 3rd and 4th floor rooms aren't scheduled for a move. All of the rooms on the 2nd floor main building are king rooms over Gasparilla's, they are booked as "main building - deluxe king - club level"; these are the rectangular deluxe king rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by followthatmouse View Post
It's Saturday morning down here at Chez Follow. I woke early to watch the golf from WDW. Well, actually, I wasn't watching for the sport, but rather for the occasional peeks of the GF and MK through the trees of Magnolia Course. The best part was the wonderfully evocative sound of the whistles of the Railroad in the MK and the boats on Seven Seas Lagoon. It made my day just to think of hearing those sounds in person next month.
One month, very exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post
We do the same thing. We go for Thanksgiving week, so when we arrive some of the stands are still up. We turn it on for the glimpses of the poly and listen for the whistle and we say " next week we will be there...
Fun way to get a glimpse of the Grand.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodious View Post
We're on the DME to the Grand Floridian!! I just wanted to let everyone know a piece of advice in case someone has the same issue we did. If you have an additional person joining you for part of your trip who arrives on the plane with you but is not yet listed on your package or resort reservation (you'll check the person in at the resort), simply go to the DME and let them know and they will print off an additional voucher to ride the DME. We didn't have to separate or pay extra, simply the resort charge when we check in! Disney made it easy as usual
Thanks for the tip, glad you arrived safe and sound and are now in the World. Have a magical vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
I've been home for one month today.....I WANT TO GO BACK!!!!!

....

Who else got this silly snow yesterday? Maybe that will mean we will have a mild winter again!! After that crazy hurricane and now this, I need another vacation!!! I am booked for Feb - off prop for a week, then a few days at AKL. We plan to eat at GF a few times though...I can't go to WDW and not visit GF!
I hope you haven't been too affected by Sandy and the recent snow storm. Best wishes, glad you have another trip to keep your spirits up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyShamrock View Post
What are the room configurations at the Grand? We tend to like two beds and a sink out of the bathroom. Are there rooms like this? How likely would we be to get one if we make a request on our reservation?

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyShamrock View Post
Thank you runskimom.

Is there is a door to close off the sinks at all? I found some photos, and it looks like there should be, but it's hard to tell.
As runskimom posted, all standard rooms at the GF are configured the same as you describe (except king rooms, which are few), no need to make a special request.

There is no door for the dressing/sink area, you can see the layout in photos on the first page of this thread - I think it is post #12, I'll have to go check to be sure. ETA: Oops, it is post #8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_the_mouse View Post
I hope we don't get moved but I am starting to get nervous. The fact that I am an addicted resort changer doesn't help.

I'd rather just change now and accept it then get stuck somewhere else that I don't want to be but my DH doesn't want me to change. Although I will say haven't mentioned to him that it is possible we may get walked. Maybe I should fill him in
Sounds like only deluxe king Clarendon Level (2nd floor) rooms are being moved, so it may not affect you. ?? Hope not, and your vacation is smooth and Grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess-ish View Post
Has anyone heard of a room refurb or linens refresh in the near future? While I have no complaints of the current conditions... the GF and AKL are soon to be the last deluxe properties with patterned bed spreads.

After the WL's major refurb and soon to be refurb at the Poly... the GF just seems so lacking in the room decor category!

I was set on the BC for our Sept trip... but I'm falling in the love with the overall resort changes! For whatever reason though... I just can't get over the rooms for that price point!
I haven't heard of any plans for a GF soft goods change, even though Cali-D and I have our fingers crossed. The last major refurb of the GF was in 2007, after the CR and Poly room rehabs. It was just a year or so before the changes made to the Y&BC/BWI decor, where they added duvets instead of bedspreads. Not sure why they chose to keep bedspreads at GF/Poly. I wasn't happy with the new decor, we loved the old look, with each building a different pattern.~sigh~ Oh, well, I've had to accept the new(er) look and now it seems fine to me.

I'm not a huge fan of white duvets with bed scarves, looks too much like a Holiday Inn to me, but I'm obviously in the minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnpalm View Post
Just want to say- I agree with you completely. We are booked for the GF for next August and could not be more thrilled to be staying there but it seems very odd to me that the rooms still have those old patterned bedspreads. As Disney's flagship resort, I would imagine they would have the highest room standards. It would be nice to see rooms refurbished by next August but either way, we will be thrilled to pieces just to be staying at the Grand!
While the bedspreads are my least favorite aspect of the GF rooms, they are not the old type of low-end, nylon spread of my youth (though they sort of look like it in photos, lol). The material for the spreads is very nice. The damask-type pattern of the wallpaper is quite pretty, as are the curtains in the room. Not a huge fan of the striped bed skirts, they do not seem to go with the rest of the room, but overall the rooms look and feel more luxe than they might appear in photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
I have been searching the web like a mad woman HRH really wants some gingerbread...hoping we can at least get a glimpse of the beginnings at least...
I hope so, too. So close now!
__________________
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 11-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
k&a&c'smom is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #1800
pas130
DIS Veteran
 
pas130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,093

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_the_mouse View Post
I hope we don't get moved but I am starting to get nervous. The fact that I am an addicted resort changer doesn't help.
It's be GRAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
I hope so, too. So close now!
I am getting antsy and excited!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: