Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #1591
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Here are a few pictures to give you all an idea of what is currently going on.

From the front entrance, the new villa building:

From the beach pool, the new villa building:

The new splash area:

Courtyard Pool:

Courtyard Pool zoomed in:
Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #1592
CaliforniaDreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Thanks for the review, Cali-D!! I'm drooling over the Narcoossee's dishes, the almond cheesecake is one of DD's favorite desserts anywhere. Did they have the dark cherry sauce? If I recall, the last time she had it the sauce was different, such a disappointment - but the cheesecake was still awesome.

Looking forward to your photos.
I think you're right, the sauce didn't seem quite as I remember it being years ago, I think it is the same that we got last year though. I did take a picture, and I do think the sauce was darker before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
What a great review -- do you think I will look like a pig if I enjoy the same meal -- by myself? Seriously, how do I pick from that?

Tom
Go for it! You probably can't go wrong with anything on the current menu. Just make sure you go hungry, we left absolutely stuffed!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #1593
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the photos -- I'm sure my niece won't wait very long before she goes down that slide. The walls and contruction don't look so horrible as to ruin my vacation. One of my first vacations was at the Kaui Westin and they were in the midst of renovations -- we had a beachfront room and didn't mind the construction at all as they were not allowed to make any noise prior to 8am and had to stop by 4pm. The funny thing was looking at all the newly planted coconut trees, that literally had 2'8"s hold them up at their bends until they took root.

Tom
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #1594
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
CoachBagFanatic - we love Citricos! The food is wonderful and service is usually very good. We tend to choose Narcoossee's, too, but I wouldn't hesitate about Citricos if you want to give it a shot. We love the short rib and Berkshire pork, both fantastic.
Well so much for the surprise dinner. Showed DS the menu for Citricos and he said "What pass up my Filet Mignon with Lobster. No way." So Narcoossee's it is. DH will try Citrico's when DS goes off to college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
Hello all GF fans! We visited the resort last Friday and had dinner at Narcoossee's. First, let me say, dinner was absolutely wonderful! We started out with drinks at the bar since Mizner's isn't serving. Service from Sergio was fantastic and entertaining! For starters, we had the romaine salad, oysters, and artisinal cheeses. Main courses were a shrimp & lobster scampi, scallops, and the roasted chicken. Dessert we all had the almond crusted cheesecake as it is a favorite! We ended the meal by watching Hallowishes.

No as to the resort, yes, it is a construction zone. I think as long as I knew of the construction and closures ahead of time it wouldn't be too much of a dealbreaker. The new Alice spash area is very nice, looked like the kids were having a great time playing. And the villas look to be built to the sixth floor, so they may be done with the "shell". It'll probably just get a big higher with the roofline. Can't wait to see it as they make progress finishing the exterior. We're still undecided on whether or not we'll purchase the DVC there (depends what they will charge), but I do plan on trying to get a villa the first few months after opening.

I have some pictures of the construction and the courtyard pool that I'll post either tonight or tomorrow.
Oh thanks so much for the great review especially Narcoossee's. Already have it marked on my dining itinerary. Now I have to wait until Christmas morning to make my ADR's.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #1595
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
[SIZE="2"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]
Oh thanks so much for the great review especially Narcoossee's. Already have it marked on my dining itinerary. Now I have to wait until Christmas morning to make my ADR's.
I bet that will be the first Christmas present you look forward to unwrapping. Speaking of unwrapping -- since I will be at GF for a few days before my niece arrives, any suggestions as to what I should surprise her with in the room? What is the latest and greatest the GF has to offer for a teenage girl?

TIA,

Tom
Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #1596
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
I bet that will be the first Christmas present you look forward to unwrapping. Speaking of unwrapping -- since I will be at GF for a few days before my niece arrives, any suggestions as to what I should surprise her with in the room? What is the latest and greatest the GF has to offer for a teenage girl?

TIA,

Tom
Yes, Merry Christmas to me once I have made our ADR's.

Ok I am assuming that your niece is the 14 year old that you were speaking of a couple of posts back.

It's been a long time since I have bought anything for a girl but here goes. How about a nice mickey charm bracelet or earrings or both. Also depending on how much you want to spend they have those cute Dooney and Bourke Disney Wristlet. I am sure they are not that cheap but that's what came off the top of my head. Like I said, we have all boys in the family, so girl shopping is only done for myself.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #1597
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
Like I said, we have all boys in the family, so girl shopping is only done for myself.

I bet you had a wry smile on your face as you were typing that. Thanks for the suggestions -- she is a Vera Bradley girl, so maybe I will see if they have something like that.

Tom
Old 10-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #1598
cgulls
Mouseketeer

DVC construction photos

new photos of the DVC construction are available at

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disn...nstruction.htm
Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #1599
HFC1969
Grand Floridian Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
Here are a few pictures to give you all an idea of what is currently going on.

Thank you!!

Time to get out of STL... its getting chilly here..

Next week this time... I hope to have drink in hand.. while sitting on the balcony while DW gets everyone ready for MNSSHP...
Old 10-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #1600
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

I'll be having a drink, watching you have a drink while your DW gets the rest ready for MNSSHP -- we are going on the 28th to the party. I will be in the world in 3 days! Safe travels.

Tom
Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #1601
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
new photos of the DVC construction are available at

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disn...nstruction.htm
Wow, photo #5 makes it look so much bigger than the original GF to me. I keep thinking about all of those new people on the same old monorail.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #1602
jillmc40
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I bet you had a wry smile on your face as you were typing that. Thanks for the suggestions -- she is a Vera Bradley girl, so maybe I will see if they have something like that.

Tom
Kudos for knowing Vera Bradley - and that your niece likes Vera Bradley! Are we limited to just GF or is DTD included in the shopping possibilities? My daughter is only 5, so luckily I am still on the not so expensive side of gifts, but once they hit teens, it seems to jump significantly. The D&B wristlet sounded good! A girl can never have to many purses or wallets - even if they are empty
Old 10-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #1603
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

A happy female = an unbadgered man!

I don't think I've seen this answered -- are the tubs in GF rooms jacuzzi, or do I need to request that. My neck injury responds well (or at least I feel like it does) to jacuzzis.

TIA,

Tom
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #1604
CaliforniaDreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Wow, photo #5 makes it look so much bigger than the original GF to me. I keep thinking about all of those new people on the same old monorail.
I had the same thought about the monorail. I know with BLT opening at the Contemporary it seemed like there was an influx of people (others have said BLT has a similar number of units to what the North Wing had, but those 2 bedroom villas do sleep 9 afterall...) so I don't know if a solution would be more watercraft service, a dedicated watercraft for the GF and another for the Polynesian, or if the rumored walking path to the MK would be enough to offset (it seems like it'd be a long walk! except, at park close, it'd still be the quickest option I bet).

As to the picture, I agree it looks large. In person, though, I didn't think it looked quite that dominating. We really need to see it once the full roofline is in place. Fingers cross it compliments the other buildings.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #1605
CaliforniaDreaming

Quote:
A happy female = an unbadgered man!

I don't think I've seen this answered -- are the tubs in GF rooms jacuzzi, or do I need to request that. My neck injury responds well (or at least I feel like it does) to jacuzzis.

TIA,

Tom
They are just your typical shower/tub combo. Jacuzzis are in the specialty suites and the 2nd floor main building deluxe king rooms. The other deluxe rooms and some suites do have nice soaking tubs, though.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: