Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #1576
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

Just finished reading pages of this thread, finally caught up! I don't remember who asked, but here is a photo of the courtyard pool from 4th floor SL.

k&a&c'smom reposted another photo of mine, but this one really shows the pool. Obviously it's not the view you want to see now with the pool under construction!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #1577
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom
Silly question -- are there any bars at the Grand Floridian? Due to logistics of my girlfriend leaving before my wife gets there, I have one 1 free night. I'm kidding -- I have neither! But, I am going to have 1 night free and don't feel like going to DTD or the BW -- so any suggestions where I could have a cocktail or 4 and watch the New York Yankees? Hopefully they are still playing next week!

TIA,

Tom
Cute Tom. I'm hoping the Yankees aren't playing next week
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #1578
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
CoachBagFanatic - my DH likes to "make good time"! We have to force him to stop, but over the years he has grown to accept it. Your plan for the cabana sounds like a great way to end a day of travel.

We do plan on renting the cabanas at least 3 times this trip. It's been a while since we were at the GF and we want to enjoy every minute we can there.

Oh, btw - congrats on the new car! I drive most of the time, too, so it can be hard to turn over the reins.

Thank you so much. After driving a Ford F350 super duty pick up truck for 10 years, my car is like my second child. Yes, turning over the reins for me is going to be very difficult.

We love the GF cafe as well and I showed my DH those pictures and he said what time do we eat. Those pancakes look so yummy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
HA! I am from Missouri but live in NJ! It is a little bit longer to fly from NJ to MCO than STL to MCO, so I think NJ would probably be a little bit longer drive, but not by much. Although you have to get through the DC area, which is the pits!

Yeah not crazy about the DC area but if we hit it at an off time we should be good.
What do you dining experts think about Citrico's? I showed the menu to our DS and he keeps say lets go to Narcoosee's which we have eaten at many times but have never tried Citrico's.

Also, we are not first floor people but we were thinking of giving it a try. I am not one for bugs and I am deathly afraid of spiders and yes I know it's Florida but are there bushes and such close to the patios or the sliding glass doors?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #1579
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't care for the first floor rooms because of snakes!! (yes, it HAS happened!)

As for Citricos, we have never tried that either (Narcoosee's is great, and we tend to gravitate there due to the menu and the view) but want to one day.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #1580
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser View Post
I wouldn't care for the first floor rooms because of snakes!! (yes, it HAS happened!)

As for Citricos, we have never tried that either (Narcoosee's is great, and we tend to gravitate there due to the menu and the view) but want to one day.
Yes, I have seen some threads of snakes in the rooms. I am not afraid of snakes but if one were to be in my room, that may freak me out a bit. Yeah, I think we will stay away from the first floor.

This is us with Narcoosee's as well. It just keeps pulling us in. We are not sure about the food at Citrico's. Maybe when DH and I go to WDW by ourselves, we may give it a try.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #1581
sndral
DIS Veteran

I prefer Narcoosees, of course my Citricos experience may have been tainted by my just learning waitress whom I had trouble communicating with - don't recall anything negative about the food, tho'.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #1582
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Jungle Cruiser - thanks for the photo, I was looking for that one when I found the one I copied. Beautiful shot.

CoachBagFanatic - we love Citricos! The food is wonderful and service is usually very good. We tend to choose Narcoossee's, too, but I wouldn't hesitate about Citricos if you want to give it a shot. We love the short rib and Berkshire pork, both fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC1969 View Post
Wow... you guys are troopers

We thought about driving down once... then we took a trip from STL to OKC... 9 1/2 hours.. We were ready to give up at Springfield, MO after 3 1/2 hours.

7 days til Gflo for us...
Six days to go, woohoo!

Sorry I missed this yesterday, lol about giving up at S'field, I know what you mean. My sister lives in STL, and I don't get out there nearly as much as I should, it's only a 3-1/2 hour drive for us. Well, a little less now that she's in Wentzville. (used to be in St. Charles) My son lived in Affton for a year, and I only made it there once after the move in!

For some reason, the drive to WDW doesn't seem so bad!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 10-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #1583
jillmc40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser View Post

I would have a heart attack if there was a snake!!!!! OMG! We were on the 4th floor and there were spiders on our balcony..At one point I was sitting in a chair and a spider came down beside me like little Ms. Muffit! I freaked out, but my bro was there so he handled it (set it free...he is nicer than I am). Another night I went out there and there was a frog on the side of the wall. I had a dormer room so my balcony was a tiny little square. He was bouncing from one wall to another and I was screaming! I'm such a baby!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #1584
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Ok, we drive everywhere. Maybe because when I was growing up thats what we did...or maybe I'm too cheap to fly We usually drive back to Michigan a couple of times a year, went to Indiana to visit college son over Columbus weekend- not to mention getting him settled in august and bringing him back in May (that boy has too much stuff!) and of course the two-day drive to Disney. It's all good
GF - 2009, 2010
WL CL - 2012
Old 10-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #1585
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post
Cute Tom. I'm hoping the Yankees aren't playing next week
I'm pretty sure only ARoid will be playing next week --- playing the field of ladies, nice focus Jerk!

Tom
Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #1586
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Hello all GF fans! We visited the resort last Friday and had dinner at Narcoossee's. First, let me say, dinner was absolutely wonderful! We started out with drinks at the bar since Mizner's isn't serving. Service from Sergio was fantastic and entertaining! For starters, we had the romaine salad, oysters, and artisinal cheeses. Main courses were a shrimp & lobster scampi, scallops, and the roasted chicken. Dessert we all had the almond crusted cheesecake as it is a favorite! We ended the meal by watching Hallowishes.

No as to the resort, yes, it is a construction zone. I think as long as I knew of the construction and closures ahead of time it wouldn't be too much of a dealbreaker. The new Alice spash area is very nice, looked like the kids were having a great time playing. And the villas look to be built to the sixth floor, so they may be done with the "shell". It'll probably just get a big higher with the roofline. Can't wait to see it as they make progress finishing the exterior. We're still undecided on whether or not we'll purchase the DVC there (depends what they will charge), but I do plan on trying to get a villa the first few months after opening.

I have some pictures of the construction and the courtyard pool that I'll post either tonight or tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #1587
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review, Cali-D!! I'm drooling over the Narcoossee's dishes, the almond cheesecake is one of DD's favorite desserts anywhere. Did they have the dark cherry sauce? If I recall, the last time she had it the sauce was different, such a disappointment - but the cheesecake was still awesome.

Looking forward to your photos.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #1588
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
Hello all GF fans! We visited the resort last Friday and had dinner at Narcoossee's. First, let me say, dinner was absolutely wonderful! We started out with drinks at the bar since Mizner's isn't serving. Service from Sergio was fantastic and entertaining! For starters, we had the romaine salad, oysters, and artisinal cheeses. Main courses were a shrimp & lobster scampi, scallops, and the roasted chicken. Dessert we all had the almond crusted cheesecake as it is a favorite!
What a great review -- do you think I will look like a pig if I enjoy the same meal -- by myself? Seriously, how do I pick from that?

Tom
Old 10-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #1589
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom

I'm pretty sure only ARoid will be playing next week --- playing the field of ladies, nice focus Jerk!

Tom
Because of superstitions, I am limited in what I can say at the moment . Last night, I posted my reply to you and everything was hunky-dory...then the ninth inning was pins and needles time. Don't think I wasn't thinking about that Yankees post then
GF - 2009, 2010
WL CL - 2012
Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #1590
Luvamouse
DIS Veteran

Well, this answered it for me! I have always been happy with the room, but I'd rather interact with them in case something isn't as expected. GF is new to us also.

I do appreciate the answer-- I've been avoiding the boards for a few days. I am way to ADD to pop on too often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

I have not had good luck with online check in - we've had problems with getting checked in at the resort, lost info, lost packet, slow online check in line vs. regular line, etc. However, others have had great luck with it and love it, so it's personal preference.

My advice is to wait if you want to discuss your room assignment and possibly switch. Online check in was designed to walk up, grab your packet and keys and go, without much chat with the CM.

Good luck!

I'd also like to thank all those posting Valet comments. We drive down from RI and have been spoiled by parking fairly close at the Poly-- the smaller side lot by the TTC-- to go to Tahiti. I am unsure if we will want the long walk to the self park at the GF. I think it is the tips that would get me if we are in and out a few times a day... I think we'll try self park for a day at least-- especially because my Suburban will be a mess upon arrival
February 2011--Back to the Poly says the Birthday Girl! Daytona 500 and WDW for DD's 16th B-Day
February 2012- Couldn't resist! Daytona 500 and Contemporary MK View. Scratch that-- Back to the Poly Again!

January 2013... Somebody stop me! DD's 1st Year in College, let's keep our life "normal" and go to WDW! Poly Again? I'd love to try POR... Looks like CR MK View. Nope, now it's GF Lagoon View!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: