Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #256
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

OK, finally caught up. The dresses are all lovely. If I didn't have such a "farmer's tan" I would consider getting some from that same dressmaker, but I can't do strapless.

All the excursions in Hawaii sound great and how nice to have so many days at sea! I love all the little trinkets and stuff, you are so creative!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #257
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
Thanks. I am plotting the next dress at the moment. We have two big black tie events at work in the not too distant future. We will have have a Christmas party for management in early December and then we will have a New Year's Ball for everybody on January 5th. The New Year's Ball is in the swankiest hotel in Manchester. So this warrants a new dress. I am going for this style, but in lilac:

I am currently plotting with my favourite jewellery artist regarding some matching jewellery. The idea is that it is loosely based on my favourite Dooney and Bourke bag with lilac Swarovski crystals, lilac pearls,
dark pink Swarovski hearts and a pewter Tinkerbell charm.

Corinna
I am sorry you did not get to pose with Belle in your matching Golden Gowns! Is there any way to do a side by side of each of you in a double frame? Or photoshop one of you into a picture of the other? If so--please post.

When the lilac dress and jewelry arrive will you please put them on, ask Graham to take photos and post them so we can see it all!! Front, back, jewelry, hair style!! The whole ensemble -- please ?

Jan

DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
JLSE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #258
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSE50 View Post
I am sorry you did not get to pose with Belle in your matching Golden Gowns! Is there any way to do a side by side of each of you in a double frame? Or photoshop one of you into a picture of the other? If so--please post.

When the lilac dress and jewelry arrive will you please put them on, ask Graham to take photos and post them so we can see it all!! Front, back, jewelry, hair style!! The whole ensemble -- please ?

Jan

I think I wait until I get the chance to have a real photo with Belle. Part of the fun is to see her reaction.

As to the whole outfit, this will have to wait until November. I have asked her to time making the jewellery so that she can send it to one of our hotels in Florida. Royal Mail has lost some special jewellery before and I prefer to wait until I can get it in the USA. Once the whole ensemble is complete, there will be photos.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #259
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I think I wait until I get the chance to have a real photo with Belle. Part of the fun is to see her reaction.

As to the whole outfit, this will have to wait until November. I have asked her to time making the jewellery so that she can send it to one of our hotels in Florida. Royal Mail has lost some special jewellery before and I prefer to wait until I can get it in the USA. Once the whole ensemble is complete, there will be photos.

Corinna
cant wait to see photos...

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #260
dolphingirl47

Day 17

Mickey called at 7:00 again. While Graham got ready for his exercise class, I had a quick look at the Navigator. I learned something very disappointing. That night was Pirate Night and this normally means Pirate Trivia. I had missed this on our Mexican Riviera cruise in October as my excursion had overrun by about 2 hours. So I had really looked forward to this for this cruise. Unfortunately there was no sign of this on the Navigator. I sent Graham on his way and headed back to bed.

This morning it nearly backfired. I suddenly woke up as somebody had dropped something and realized that it was nearly 10. I got up and got ready in record time and legged it to the Buena Vista Theater. I made it in time and even got a great seat right at the front. The reason why I was in such a mad rush was that Captain Fabian was giving a talk about the building of the Dream and the Fantasy. He was involved in the building in all four ships. I learned loads of interesting tidbits during the talk. I had always assumed that DCL had turned their backs on Fincantieri because of the massive delays to the Magic and some lesser delays to the Wonder. However, they did initially approach Fincantieri for the Dream and the Fantasy, but they were not able to accommodate what DCL wanted and needed. They also approached a shipyard in France with much the same result before finally approaching Meyer Werft where the ships were eventually built. Captain Fabian took us through the design process. The biggest difference between the two classic ships and the two new ships, apart from the size, is that the designs for the lassie ships had to be done all by hand whereas the designs for the new ships were done with the help of computers. There was a staggering amount of designs involved in the building of the ship and a lot of them were in 3D. Captain Fabian explained that the starting point is providing the shipyard with a reference ship. in the case of the Dream and the Fantasy, this was the Wonder. Meyer Werft also has a wind tunnel where a model of the ships was exposed to simulated pretty extreme weather to check how the ship would handle and also details like how the smoke from the stack would pass over the ship. We all know about Disney's fantastic level of detail and this was true to the building of the ship as well. Once the life boats where ready, they tested them by loading them with sandbags with the same total weight that they expect a life boat to have if it needed to be used on a full ship and launching them from the height that they would be launched from on the ship. They then examined them for cracks or any signs of weakness. They now knew that they are strong enough, but they still did not know how they would handle with people in as sandbags do not move. So they consulted with the people at Meyer Werft, who then contacted local schools to invite children and their families. As soon as they heard Disney, there was no shortage of volunteers. Captain Fabian said they were a little bit less enthusiastic once they realized what they were actually needed for, but everybody was sent some Disney gifts after the event and that made them quite happy. Another interesting tidbit was that the Disney Dream has to functioning bridges. The whole talk was highly interesting and I was not surprised at all that it significantly overrun. One thing that was a bit of a shame was that things had turned quite bumpy again, which made the screen move quite a bit so it was quite difficult to see some of the slides and videos that formed part of the talk, but this did not really impact my enjoyment.

After the talk, I headed down to the atrium for another chance for photos with The Gang. At one stage I had heard that they would be wearing their Mexican outfits, but they were wearing their Hawaiian outfits again. Pluto has sitting right in front of me during this photo and this was the closest I would get to Pluto all cruise. It was kind of strange that during a 15 night cruise there was not a single photo opportunity with just Pluto.

By the time I had finished with the photos, it was nearly time for lunch. I had arranged to meet Graham back in the cabin and we headed up to Beach Blanket Buffet for lunch. Lunch that day was a Tex Mex Buffet. Graham had assorted salads, some fish dish and some turkey from the carvery. I had Tortilla Soup, Beef Patty with Onion Rings, Pulled Pork, Beef Burrito and Rice with Sweetcorn. We both passed on dessert as our track record with this had not been wonderful. After lunch, I had a couple of hours downtime that I spent at the Rainforest Room. I basically had the place to myself. I left about 15:00 and took my stuff back to the cabin. I still had a bit of time until I had to go to my next activity so I decided to get a photo with Captain Jack Sparrow. I got in line, which did not look too bad from where I was standing. Graham came by and told me that the line was actually going all the way around the Preludes area. I realised that I would not get my photo taken by 15:30 so I decided to give up. There were plenty more photo opportunities scheduled with Captain Jack Sparrow later in the day.

Next up was the DVC Member Social. Because of the number of DVC members on this cruise, this was actually taking place at Beach Blanket Buffet. Graham had decided to come with me for this. When we got upstairs, they were just opening up. There was a huge line and Graham was just about to turn around and leave. Once the doors were open, the lines actually moved pretty quickly. They had photos of those who had visited Aulani inside at the far end, but the drinks had been set up outside. When we got outside, we got a drink, which was a Mango and Peach concoction that was very nice and also very alcoholic. We managed to get a table at the side where we had a beautiful view of the ocean. We were joined shortly afterwards by a lady who was traveling by herself who asked if she could sit with us and a little while later, one of our table mates joined us, too. We enjoyed sitting outside and just chatting. We all had a second drink at some stage. After about an hour, we all went our separate ways.

Graham wanted to go and watch another film and we arranged a time when we would meet up outside Beach Blanket Buffet as we were trying this for dinner that night. He went off to his film and I went to get changed. I had got myself a new Pirate outfit for our holiday last October. The original plan had been wear it to one of the two Mickey's Halloween Parties that I was attending and also for Pirate Night. With literally weeks to go, my photographer and I dreamed up a Ghost Bride shoot and the idea of going as Pirate for one of the parties had gone the way of the dodo. I figured that I would still be able to wear the Pirate outfit on the cruise, but between my excursion getting back two hours late and us having a Palo reservation on Pirate Night, I never got to wear it then either. So I was determined to get to wear it this time round. Well, I definitely got my money's worth. Once I was changed, I still had some time before the character opportunities. So I decided to do a Fish Extender run. I had made bottle cap Pirate medallions for everybody. For the women I attached them to ribbon necklaces, for the girls I included some glitter and attached them to silver-plated necklaces and for the men and boys, I attached them to aluminum carabiners. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of those.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #261
dolphingirl47

Once I had finished the Fish Extender run, I headed back to the atrium for the photos. The lines were the longest that I had experienced all cruise. I got in line for Mickey and Minnie in their Pirate outfits. Once I was done, I legged it up to deck 4 to try and get a photo with Captain Jack Sparrow, but his line was already closed. So I decided to get in the line for Pirate Stitch. It was still a good 20 minutes until he would appear, but the line snaked nearly to Wavebands. I got in line and by the time it was my turn, I had missed Chip and Dale, too. Still, it was mainly Stitch that I had wanted so I was happy. Once I had finished with the characters, I still had some time until I was supposed to meet with Graham so I had some photos done in front of the white backdrop. The photographer asked if I was after formal portraits or fun shots and I went with the fun. I had enough formal portraits for one cruise and we still had semi-formal night to come.

With the photos all done, I headed up to Beach Blanket Buffet. I got there just before the arranged time, but there was no sign of Graham. I was waiting for half an hour and was just about to give up when he arrived. The film had taken a lot longer than indicated in the Navigator. This meant that I would not finish in time to have the chance to get a photo with Captain Jack Sparrow. Graham suggested that we should go downstairs so that I could get my photo and then we could have dinner after. This is what we did. Captain Jack Sparrow was not out yet, but the line looked quite manageable. The line also moved very fast once he got there and soon we were back on our way to Beach Blanket Buffet.

During most evenings, Beach Blanket Buffet is a casual sit down dinner. I had tried to get a Palo dinner for that night, but to no avail. As we find the Pirate dinner in the dining rooms too noisy, we decided to give this a go. Beach Blanket Buffet is a training restaurant at night and boy, did it show. There was no butter on the table and nobody asked if we wanted something to drink other than water. Beach Blanket Buffet serves a slimmed down version of whatever is on the menu in the dining room. They did not have my favorite starter or soup, but they did have a Caesar Salad on the menu. Our server asked me if I wanted it with chicken or without. I asked for without only to be brought the Caesar Salad with the chicken. The main course was nice. I had The Dutchmen's Dijon-Crusted Sirloin of Beef with a deep Red Wine Glaze. This should have come with an Oven-roasted Sweet Potato, but I had spotted Fries on the menu so I asked if I could have those instead. I was not too optimistic, but I got my fries. Graham had their special , which was a Porterhouse Steak with Fries and Fresh Vegetables. He really enjoyed this. This was the one dinner experience all cruise that I did not enjoy and I doubt that I will repeat it.

After dinner, we went back downstairs to get some photos. The photographer with the white backdrop was still out. So we headed there first. We did a bunch of fun and silly poses. Unfortunately the magic shot did not make it on the CD. On the hardcopy of the photo and also on the kiosk, the photo with the raised sword had Tinkerbell perched on top of the sword. Looks like she has flown away. Once we were finished there, the photographer manning the Pirates of the Caribbean backdrop had also return. She was also in a silly mood and we got some more great photos.

By the time we had all the photos done, we were ready for bed. I took a photo of our towel animal and then we called it a day.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #262
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Oh LOVELY! Wake up to a new installment! That pirate garb is awesome, Corinna!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #263
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Great pirate dress and fun pics!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 20/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #264
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Corrina - thanks for another wonderful update, it looks like you both had a great time and I love all the silly photos.... You guys are too cute!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #265
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

I'm sorry I missed this update. Love all the silly pics, you guys are so cute!

Sorry dinner was unimpressive. I didn't know it was a training restaurant for dinner.

Captain Fabian's talk sounds fascinating. Glad you woke up in time.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #266
dolphingirl47

We had so much fun with those photos. The photographer was amazing and a real character. By the way, the necklace that I am wearing in the photos is one of my creations.

I am not sure if the buffet on the new ships is a training restaurant in the evenings, too, but this is the case on the two classic ship and it showed.

Captain Fabian has just a fantastic personality. I have always had Captain Henry, who is now on charge of the Dream, on a bit of a pedestal, but he was very cruelly knocked of it. I am quietly hoping that Captain Fabian will be back on the Wonder for our next two cruises.

Corinna
Old 08-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #267
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Corinna, Im all caught up again, great installments and brilliant photos

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #268
disgeek009
Earning My Ears

Hi! I just wanted to say I really enjoy your trip reports. I'm even trying a green tea frappuccino right now (for the first time)!
disgeek009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #269
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

I looked at this last update on my phone which made the necklace blurry. I zoomed in, and really like the colors, very pretty

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #270
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgeek009 View Post
Hi! I just wanted to say I really enjoy your trip reports. I'm even trying a green tea frappuccino right now (for the first time)!
Oh, what I would give to have one of them right now. Unfortunately they are not available in the UK. I have it on good authority though that we will get the Pumpkin Spice Latte for the first time this year.

Corinna

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: