Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

2012 - OLYMPIC FREE TOUR - Day 7 - Magic Kingdom - Portobello Restaurant DTD

Day 7 Magic Kingdom Portobello Restaurant

In keeping with tradition, our first full day with park tickets meant a visit to Magic Kingdom. We were all awake bright and early, and reached Millers Road bus stop around 8:30. The bus soon arrived and we managed to reach Magic Kingdom in time to watch the opening ceremony.

Once inside the park, we made our way towards Splash Mountain via Adventureland and as we reached the entrance, I got three fast passes for later. The ride was a walk on and we managed to sneak a second ride immediately after, since the lines were still short. Next up was a visit next door to Big Thunder Mountain, which again we rode twice in succession.

By this time our Splash Mountain FPs were valid so we made our way back, by which time the queues had built up. On approaching the ascent to the drop, the ride stopped for a good five minutes.

I managed to shoot some video looking backwards as we made the drop.

The sun was quite hot but the soaking we got on Splash Mountain managed to cool us a little. We headed to Haunted Mansion and took the graveyard route towards the entrance. (TIP - Stand below the picture of the lady with the umbrella in the stretching room, if you want to make a fast exit towards the doom buggies!) We were feeling a little hungry now so made our way into our favourite MK quick service eatery - Columbia Harbour House. We were one of the first customers and were soon eating our meals at a window table upstairs.

Nigel: Lobster Roll with Disney Potato Chips - Strawberry Yoghurt - Orange Juice.
Sue: Fried Shrimp Basket - Apple Crisp - Water.
Emma: Chicken Breast Nuggets - Chocolate Cake - Diet Coke.

Some of the windows were covered to hide the construction work opposite.

Suitably fuelled, we made a visit to Pirates of the Caribbean and met up with Goofy near to the entrance and had a few photopass photographs, before joining the ride.

Moving across to the other side of the park, we called to say hello to Jim, who was playing the piano as usual, outside of Caseys Corner.

We then made our way to get fast passes for Buzz Lightyear. It was baking hot, so a visit to Storybook Treats was made in an attempt to cool off with two caramel sundaes and a coke float.

We ate these under the welcome shelter of the canopy, whilst watching the construction workers on the new Fantasyland expansion.

We headed back towards Buzz Lightyear with our fast passes, which was a good thing since the queue time was showing 60-minute wait. We still had to wait a good 10 minutes to ride, as the lines were moving extremely slow. On exiting the ride, we went to TTA and a relaxing few minutes cruising around Tomorrowland. The time was approaching 2:00 and so we decided to head back to OKW for some pool time, making the return journey through the shops and exiting at the Emporium. It was at the bus station that we realized the bus stops had been changed and we were now departing from No. 7 stop to OKW.

Back at our room, we changed into our swimwear and headed for the pool. Martin, Wendy and family were already there. We spent the next few hours playing around an almost empty pool before being forced out by an approaching storm.

Showered and changed, we drove to DTD for the first of our ADRs at Portobello restaurant. As this was one of the new additions to 2012 DDP, I had read mixed reports of the service and food, so went with an open mind. Check in was quick, however we did have to wait around 10 minutes before being seated. The restaurant seems to be in two sections with a bar area in the centre.

Our waiter arrived and explained the various items on the menu before leaving us to make our choices.

Nigel: Chicken Pizzaiola - Biramisu - Diet Coke.
Sue: Spaghetti Pomodoro - Biramisu - Diet Coke.
Emma: Spaghetti with Meatballs - Fragole con sava e caramello - Diet Coke.

We were also served with warm bread and dipping oil, together with roasted garlic cloves. The garlic cloves were delicious, which resulted in a second plate being served. The Biramisu was their variation of the traditional Tiramisu and yet again, it was a winner. All in all, both service and quality of food were excellent and a nice change to some of the more standard bland offerings on DDP, which means we will most likely return again next year.

We left the restaurant at around 21:45 and watched a 3-piece orchestral rock band playing a variety of re-arranged classical music. They were very good. After a short drive back to OKW, we finished the evening off with a glass of wine before calling it a day.

Coming up next: Disney Hollywood Studios - Cheesecake Factory

Return to INDEX

Last edited by DISWolves; 10-25-2012 at 02:11 PM.
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

We ate at PR on our wedding day and loved the roast garlic with bread. Glad you enjoyed it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongirlof12 View Post
We ate at PR on our wedding day and loved the roast garlic with bread. Glad you enjoyed it.
It looks like the menu has got bigger since our visit so looking forward to returning next year
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Wish I was eating at CHH right now instead of eating my lunch at my desk.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great day
Old 10-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
wigeboo
Mouseketeer

great day

me DH DD

Planning my tenth Disney holiday
wigeboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: