Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
craftymama71
Mouseketeer

What is it about Disney?

For me, I had always wanted to go when I was young, but I never thought I would, so I kind of let go of the whole dream.

When we were sent to America in 2008 for DH's job, I was so excited to go to New York, DC and other places. We decided on our way home to take DD to Disneyland for her 11th birthday. I have to admit, I really wasn't all that excited about going. But as soon as we got there, I was hooked. I can't pinpoint what it was or what it is that makes me want to keep going back. I want to visit other countries so much, but I always end up dreaming about going back to Disney. (My love of America doesn't help either )

What draws you to Disney time after time?

Disneyland - October 2008

Disney Sea Tokyo - August 2010

DisneyWorld POFQ - September 2011

Me DH DD 14 Jasper the crazy puppy
craftymama71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran

Seeing my kids faces light up every time we walk down main st
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
becpee
I see sock puppets

I think for me it's the memory I have of sitting and watching The Wonderful World Of Disney and every now and then they would have a special on showing Disneyland, and I would sit there and watch in awe and wonder if I would ever get there.

So, yes, I did get there, twice so far, and as I walk down main street I remember that this is a place I always wanted to visit, and it takes me back to my childhood.
Now I get to show my DS the happiest place on earth!

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
I think for me it's the memory I have of sitting and watching The Wonderful World Of Disney and every now and then they would have a special on showing Disneyland, and I would sit there and watch in awe and wonder if I would ever get there.

So, yes, I did get there, twice so far, and as I walk down main street I remember that this is a place I always wanted to visit, and it takes me back to my childhood.
Now I get to show my DS the happiest place on earth!
Exactly what Becpee said. The first time I walked through the gates it was nighttime and Main Street was all lit up and I thought, wow it is so much better than I even dreamed when watching The Wonderful World of Disney as a child.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

It's a whole other world. I just love it
Old 05-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

It's "the happiest place on earth"
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Exactly what Becpee said. The first time I walked through the gates it was nighttime and Main Street was all lit up and I thought, wow it is so much better than I even dreamed when watching The Wonderful World of Disney as a child.
mee toooooo...i get a tear in the eye when I get to the main turnstiles...i have to hold it togeather when I walk thru the tunnel..dont want DH to think I'm soft.

I do have a little cry/sequel when I get on space mt for the first time

damn you wonderful world of Disney!
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

What everyone else has said! Plus I think that the Disney company just gets it right! They know how to make us happy. A friend and I always joke that it "wouldn't happen at Disneyland" when at work our bosses decide to do something "wonderful" and make our lives/jobs "easier"..!!!
I first went to WDW in the 80's when it was just MK and Epcot (and even that wasn't finished), and I loved it then. Fast forward to 2001 and deciding on a holiday destination for 2002 - I brought up the idea of Orlando and we just ran with it! Cue up our 5th trip this October!! They have caught us up in the Disney web, and I don't ever want to be let go!!!

hjd0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer

I'm hanging out for my FIRST trip to see the Mouse I've been in love with Disney since I can remember and begged to go to Disneyland as a child!

I'm probably going to lose it when I walk through the entrance, I've only been waiting 23 years! I remember watching the Wonderful World of Disney and Saturday Disney and being jealous of the families in the Disneyland ads

Disney is pure magic I reckon even my dad and brother would go a bit soft if they went to a Disney park
frangipanisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

first time hint....

when you get to the gates or even when you check in to your resort, make sure you grab your first time visit badge....then wear it with pride! My DH wouldnt take his off in 2009, and he was 40 but so proud...
also dont stop in the middle of the walkway, just step to the side, take a deep breathe and take it all in..you only ever get to do "first" once and I'd hate for you to be rushed and run down........
then find a photopass photographer and get your pics done.....

memories to treasure forever
Old 05-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

I think it's because the Disney imagineers have an incredible knack (and budget) for making ordinary experiences extraordinary, and they take special activities and make them spectacular!

The theming is so far above anything I've seen anywhere else. For us it was Sooo far superior to any theme park we had visited in Australia and even Universal ( although I hear their WWOHP give Disney a run for its money)

Nothing else quite compares,

When we did the shuttle launch experience at Space Center Canaveral, DH and I looked at each other and said "Disney would do it better..."

When we experienced the Blitz experience at the London War Museum.... "Disney would do it better"

When we did the Red Arrows Flight experience at the London Science museum...."Disney would do it better"

I remember leaving Innoventions one day where we'd just done a game based on waste management, feeling utterly gobsmacked that it had been great fun and we'd had a ball! Who else but Disney could do that!!

Andona
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
australiankaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andona View Post
I think it's because the Disney imagineers have an incredible knack (and budget) for making ordinary experiences extraordinary, and they take special activities and make them spectacular!

The theming is so far above anything I've seen anywhere else. For us it was Sooo far superior to any theme park we had visited in Australia and even Universal ( although I hear their WWOHP give Disney a run for its money)

Nothing else quite compares,

When we did the shuttle launch experience at Space Center Canaveral, DH and I looked at each other and said "Disney would do it better..."

When we experienced the Blitz experience at the London War Museum.... "Disney would do it better"

When we did the Red Arrows Flight experience at the London Science museum...."Disney would do it better"

I remember leaving Innoventions one day where we'd just done a game based on waste management, feeling utterly gobsmacked that it had been great fun and we'd had a ball! Who else but Disney could do that!!

Andona
add to the list..
sydney new years fireworks..yawn
sydney transport
westfield food court....

need we go on, that is why we love the mouse, they do things so well EVERYTIME!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
when you get to the gates or even when you check in to your resort, make sure you grab your first time visit badge....then wear it with pride! My DH wouldnt take his off in 2009, and he was 40 but so proud...
also dont stop in the middle of the walkway, just step to the side, take a deep breathe and take it all in..you only ever get to do "first" once and I'd hate for you to be rushed and run down........
then find a photopass photographer and get your pics done.....

memories to treasure forever
I most definatly will get a first time badge! I was told to go to City Hall but I'll ask every CM I meet as I go into DL Just so I don't miss out otherwise there will be

Great tip about the first walk in, I get overly emotion at silly things so I'm totally expecting to tear up and I know my gfs will be laughing at me because none of them quite get my Disney obsession but like you said you only get to do the "first" once

Bring on the 30th of October alreadyyyy!!!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
australiankaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipanisam View Post
I most definatly will get a first time badge! I was told to go to City Hall but I'll ask every CM I meet as I go into DL Just so I don't miss out otherwise there will be

Great tip about the first walk in, I get overly emotion at silly things so I'm totally expecting to tear up and I know my gfs will be laughing at me because none of them quite get my Disney obsession but like you said you only get to do the "first" once

Bring on the 30th of October alreadyyyy!!!
heres another cunning plan......make cute first visit tshirts for the 4 of you...
eg: We came all the way from down-under to visit the mouse, & its our first visit!..or something like that..the photos would be awesome and you'd get ooba attention. Ok you may feel stupid UNTIL you walk in the gates, then your gonna love it
Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer

I'll suggest it and see the response that I get, guessing two will be and and the other one will be saying "your kidding me right?"

I'll spring it on them closer to leaving, with a template made up ready to print onto iron on transfers Bec will do whatever I do at least

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: