Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
paucat
Earning My Ears

Question Age appropriate rides in Sea World for 10 year old boy

We are travelling with our 10 year old grandson in April 2013. What rides and/or attractions would be best for a timid 10 year old. Thank you very much.
paucat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

My 8 year old liked journey to atlantis (part boat ride, part roller coaster,) wild arctic (helicopter ride simulator), and the kiddie rides in Shamu's Happy Harbor. There's also a 3 story play structure with nets and slides.

You can pay extra for the Sky Tower and the Paddle Boats. If you want to go on the Paddle Boats, go early before it gets too hot.
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
KBF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineB View Post
My 8 year old liked journey to atlantis (part boat ride, part roller coaster,) wild arctic (helicopter ride simulator), and the kiddie rides in Shamu's Happy Harbor. There's also a 3 story play structure with nets and slides.

You can pay extra for the Sky Tower and the Paddle Boats. If you want to go on the Paddle Boats, go early before it gets too hot.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the sky tower is free now. The paddle boats still have a charge though.
KBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the sky tower is free now. The paddle boats still have a charge though.
I didn't know the sky tower is included with park admission -- thanks for that tip. I visited Sea World this past year many times (I live next door to Sea World) and didn't notice that.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineB View Post
I didn't know the sky tower is included with park admission -- thanks for that tip. I visited Sea World this past year many times (I live next door to Sea World) and didn't notice that.
It wasn't included when we were there for our New Years trip either. Then it changed very shortly thereafter:

http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld...ides/Sky-Tower

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
basas
The majority of people are still good people

Quote:
Originally Posted by paucat View Post
We are travelling with our 10 year old grandson in April 2013. What rides and/or attractions would be best for a timid 10 year old. Thank you very much.
I would say everything but the two "big" coasters (Kraken and Manta) should be OK. Journey to Atlantis is a flume ride (like Splash Mountain), but with a small roller coaster portion. Wild Arctic is a simulator like Star Tours. Fortunately, most attractions at Sea World are suitable for the entire family to enjoy together.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

You can still see the Wild Arctic movie even if you don't want to ride the simulator -- just take the "walk" side instead of the "ride" side -- the "walk" line is shorter too.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
liquidbase
Mouseketeer

In realtiy, everyone is different. I would suggest showing your grandson videos of the attractions from websites like Youtube. This will allow him to see the rides from start to finish without actually riding them so he can decide for himself unless he doesn't want to be spoiled.
liquidbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidbase View Post
In realtiy, everyone is different. I would suggest showing your grandson videos of the attractions from websites like Youtube. This will allow him to see the rides from start to finish without actually riding them so he can decide for himself unless he doesn't want to be spoiled.
That's true -- I brought DS8 to Turtle Trek this week and he was scared -- I didn't expect this but it just goes to show, you never know.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: