Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #76
mag73
Mouseketeer
 
mag73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 151

We are also arriving on the 29th but I'm hopping that the the construction impact on our stay is going to be minimal. I just looked up room availability at the GF on the Disney web site and it looks like there are rooms still available in every category, also under the hotel description is a construction update:

"Please note, the following amenities at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa will be closed for refurbishments:

• Sandy Cove Merchandise: August 21 to November 20, 2012
• Courtyard Pool: August 28 to November 30, 2012
• Gasparilla Grill & Games: August 24 to December 17, 2012
• Mouseketeer Club: August 8 to late 2012
• The Spa: April 19, 2011 to early 2013

These locations are being refreshed for your future enjoyment. In the meantime, you will have access to alternate options during your stay, so you can anticipate a truly grand vacation experience. Refurbishment dates are subject to change."


I'm little nervous about qs breakfast choices but I'm hoping for the best. I booked knowing about the construction, so it's not a deal breaker for us. As far as Poly and CR I'm not a big fan, and I would rather stay at GF with the construction than at either one of those. But once again it is my personal preference. There are a lot of people who really enjoy both of those two resorts.
__________________
mag73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #77
bdklein
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a House
Posts: 1,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag73 View Post
We are also arriving on the 29th but I'm hopping that the the construction impact on our stay is going to be minimal. I just looked up room availability at the GF on the Disney web site and it looks like there are rooms still available in every category, also under the hotel description is a construction update:

"Please note, the following amenities at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa will be closed for refurbishments:

• Sandy Cove Merchandise: August 21 to November 20, 2012
• Courtyard Pool: August 28 to November 30, 2012
• Gasparilla Grill & Games: August 24 to December 17, 2012
• Mouseketeer Club: August 8 to late 2012
• The Spa: April 19, 2011 to early 2013

These locations are being refreshed for your future enjoyment. In the meantime, you will have access to alternate options during your stay, so you can anticipate a truly grand vacation experience. Refurbishment dates are subject to change."


I'm little nervous about qs breakfast choices but I'm hoping for the best. I booked knowing about the construction, so it's not a deal breaker for us. As far as Poly and CR I'm not a big fan, and I would rather stay at GF with the construction than at either one of those. But once again it is my personal preference. There are a lot of people who really enjoy both of those two resorts.
Not sure what is your budget but perhaps staying Club Level might work. solves for breakfast issue-plus if you snack a fair amount and right you can save on meals, drinks, etc. Lots of water for the hot weather.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #78
mag73
Mouseketeer
 
mag73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 151

I was thinking the same thing, we stayed in SL last year and I really enjoyed the snacks. Unfortunately my dd has celiac and there wasn't much for her to eat, and my ds is such a picky eater that he only ate some cookies and had some chocolate milk. I think we will make the decision to upgrade once we get there and see what the qs choices are.
__________________
mag73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #79
jackson2422
Earning My Ears
 
jackson2422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27

Construction Date Changes

I have been humming and hawing about changing resorts because of the construction at the GF. Disney has updated their website today and pushed back the closures of the courtyard pool and Gasparilla Grill.

They were originally scheduled for closure right before we arrived.

Hope they don't change it back.

Refurbishments*
In an ongoing effort to improve the quality of our offerings, the following amenities at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa will be closed for refurbishments:

Beach Pool Bar: April 2 to September 4, 2012
Sandy Cove Merchandise: August 21 to November 18, 2012
Ivy Trellis Salon: October 20 to December 3, 2012
Courtyard Pool: Mid September to Mid December, 2012
Gasparilla Grill & Games: September 4 to December 17, 2012
The Spa: September 19, 2011 to December 5, 2012
These locations are being refreshed for your future enjoyment. In the meantime, you will have access to alternate options during your stay, so you can anticipate a truly grand vacation experience.

* Please note, refurbishment dates are subject to change.
jackson2422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #80
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson2422 View Post
I have been humming and hawing about changing resorts because of the construction at the GF. Disney has updated their website today and pushed back the closures of the courtyard pool and Gasparilla Grill.

They were originally scheduled for closure right before we arrived.

Hope they don't change it back.

Refurbishments*
In an ongoing effort to improve the quality of our offerings, the following amenities at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa will be closed for refurbishments:

Beach Pool Bar: April 2 to September 4, 2012
Sandy Cove Merchandise: August 21 to November 18, 2012
Ivy Trellis Salon: October 20 to December 3, 2012
Courtyard Pool: Mid September to Mid December, 2012
Gasparilla Grill & Games: September 4 to December 17, 2012
The Spa: September 19, 2011 to December 5, 2012
These locations are being refreshed for your future enjoyment. In the meantime, you will have access to alternate options during your stay, so you can anticipate a truly grand vacation experience.

* Please note, refurbishment dates are subject to change.

Awesome news!!! Thanks for sharing
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #81
andyman8
DIS Veteran

 
andyman8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,969

Beach Pool Bar & Grill is now open. Good and varied menu. Pictures here.

Oh and dates were altered a bit.

Sandy Cove Merchandise: August 21 to November 17, 2012
Ivy Trellis Salon: October 20 to December 3, 2012
Gasparilla Grill & Games: September 13 to Mid December, 2012
Courtyard Pool: Mid September to Late December, 2012
The Spa: September 19, 2011 to 2013
__________________
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)


Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #82
dipastor
Mouseketeer
 
dipastor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 95

Courtyard pool

We will be at the GF at end of October. Anybody have any pics of the courtyard pool construction? Closure? Is the whole pool hidden? Any garden left? Thanks. We will take a lot of photos and post when we return on Nov. 3rd.


Also, we've always stayed at the Pine Key building (near beach pool). Any recommendations for other buildings we can request where we will be out of construction zone? Maybe where we wouldn't have to see all the courtyard pool construction?? Conch key??

thanks.
di
dipastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #83
andyman8
DIS Veteran

 
andyman8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,969

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipastor View Post
We will be at the GF at end of October. Anybody have any pics of the courtyard pool construction? Closure? Is the whole pool hidden? Any garden left? Thanks. We will take a lot of photos and post when we return on Nov. 3rd.


Also, we've always stayed at the Pine Key building (near beach pool). Any recommendations for other buildings we can request where we will be out of construction zone? Maybe where we wouldn't have to see all the courtyard pool construction?? Conch key??

thanks.
di
We stayed at Conch Key back in July and it was wonderful. Ask for a view of the marina. You could hear the MK train whistle from the room and you could see the monorail. No sign of construction either.
__________________
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)


Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #84
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
We stayed at Conch Key back in July and it was wonderful. Ask for a view of the marina. You could hear the MK train whistle from the room and you could see the monorail. No sign of construction either.
Agreed. We also stayed Conch Key in September... It was a beautiful view and so peaceful
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #85
dipastor
Mouseketeer
 
dipastor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 95

GF Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
We stayed at Conch Key back in July and it was wonderful. Ask for a view of the marina. You could hear the MK train whistle from the room and you could see the monorail. No sign of construction either.

That's what I thought. I'm going to try for Conch Key. We have a lagoon view but hoping they will upgrade us.... thanks. I have a feeling it won't be fully booked when we go due to all the construction.
dipastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #86
toodycat
DIS Veteran
 
toodycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,131

Hi. We are here right now. Of course it is beautiful and everyone is having fun, but there are some construction drawbacks:

1. Gasparilla's is closed. You can eat at the beach bar or get grab'n go items at Mizner's. Neither has a very appealing set of options and I am not sure what happens when it rains because the beach bar is, of course, outdoors. You can have breakfast at the GF Cafe. It will cost about $35 for two.

2. The courtyard pool is closed. It is being made shallower and they are making it zero entry. Right now, everyone is swimming at the feature pool. There is no plan to add another pool for future GF DVC guests. You can't see the beach at the feature pool because there is a wall up. At the moment, there is no beach; it is being used as a construction roadway and sea wall.

3. Alice in Wonderland children's water play area is pretty much completed. It will be open once it is approved by building inspection.

4. Sandy Cove is closed. You can get some sundries at the mercantile upstairs.

I will post some photos once we get home.
__________________
Boardwlk Villas 9/14 F&W MNSSH
Wilderness Lodge/MVMCP 12/13
Beach Club Villas '13
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #87
toodycat
DIS Veteran
 
toodycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,131

Oh yeah, the spa is still closed, but they will chauffeur you to the Saratoga Springs spa which has a very nice selection of services.

I forgot that With Gasparilla's closed, you can also have breakfast at 1900 Park Fare if you want to do the character thing. 1900 is closed for lunch, however.
__________________
Boardwlk Villas 9/14 F&W MNSSH
Wilderness Lodge/MVMCP 12/13
Beach Club Villas '13
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #88
Supernootz
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8

Just got a phone call from Guest Services. We had reservations (for the past 7 months) at the GF Main Building, Club Level. End of October. Guess what? They are kicking us out!

Due to the construction, they are moving everyone to other buildings. They are putting us in Sugar Loaf, also Club Level.

We are quite disappointed. We love the atmosphere of the Main Building, the piano, the band, everything.

This was to be our 3rd stay at the GF Main Building. I am sure the SL is just as "nice" but it's not the same thing and certainly not what we had in mind when booking.
Supernootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #89
jojomickey
Mouseketeer
 
jojomickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 125

That is a shame this has happened to you when you where looking forward to staying in your favorite building but even though the sugar loaf will be different for you this time, I think you will be happy I have stayed there in the past and they are great at the Sugar loaf. I wonder what it will be like at the end of November when I will be there! I guess things are changing every day there! Have a wonderful time
jojomickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #90
dipastor
Mouseketeer
 
dipastor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 95

GF Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodycat View Post
Oh yeah, the spa is still closed, but they will chauffeur you to the Saratoga Springs spa which has a very nice selection of services.

I forgot that With Gasparilla's closed, you can also have breakfast at 1900 Park Fare if you want to do the character thing. 1900 is closed for lunch, however.

Thank you for the update. We have 3 children under the age of 9 and felt being on the monorail was our best bet... Poly is not for us and the Contemp. didn't have any openings. We have always stayed at GF. We never went to Gasparilla's anyway. I'm hoping the rest of the construction will not be too annoying. Did you still find it enjoyable walking around?? We are mostly at parks during the day. Of the 9 days we stay... we're really only at pool for one or two afternoons.

In your opinion or experience... are you still having a good time?? Is construction more than anticipated? I don't know if it's too late to switch resorts (our second option was Beach Club but pain to get to MK). Thoughts?? We have already paid and have Lagoon view(we had to book two connecting rooms). Curious if outer buildings away from construction will be avail. Sorry a lot of questions.
d
dipastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: