Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

I had one done 2 years ago and the total charge was $4000. I too had waited quite some time to have it done and wish I had done it sooner. Prices will vary by region but please, just because someone offers a lower price doesn't mean it is the right person to go to. Ask around in your area and see what is the norm and who is recommended for this type of procedure. Check how many/size of the implant they will use, whether you will be getting a custom or standard abutment (this is VERY important!!!! and yes it can up the cost a bit!), if it includes anesthesia if you choose to be knocked out when they do the implant and please check the credentials/reputation of the oral surgeon doing the implant as well as the dentist doing the abutment and crown portion.

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
pixieprincessmom
Mouseketeer

My DH was quoted $2200. They took X-rays first to be sure the bone could hold the implant and now we are waiting for insurance approval which they told us would take 2-3 months. Said they have seen out insurance company pick up 80% and have seen them deny the claim so fingers crossed!
pixieprincessmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #18
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granfan View Post
Over $8,000 is what I was quoted when I went to get a check-up and treatment plan-- for one tooth. This sounds likes he thinks I'm an easy mark. The space is healed and has been fine for a couple of years. He suggested the implant for cosmetic reasons.
My daughter just had one. By the time all was said and done, it was in the $6000 range. It's a long and complicated procedure:

Part 1: The implant that goes into the gum; this is for life, so you want it to be right. It's like a metal screw with holes in it that goes into the gum. Your bone grows through the holes, and it cannot be removed later.

Part 2: The abridgement that connects the implant to the implant.

Part 3: The crown. That's the "tooth" that you see. This will last 10-15 years.

She had appointments for:

Initial appointment and x-rays
Surgery to place the implant into the gum (included anethesia)
Follow ups to see that the implant was "taking" to the gum
Insertion of abridgement
Measuring for crown
Placement of crown

It was very expensive, but my daughter was missing an adult tooth, and it's in a spot that shows. It was an unavoidable expense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDiane View Post
It could be because of where you live. However, if he's going to charge $8K for an implant, I would trust him to even do the procedure since he more than likely has no clue how to do it.

A dental implant should cost between $1700-$1900 per tooth, all inclusive.

The guy you're dealing with is a complete rip off artist. $167 for a check up that DIDN'T include a cleaning???? At most places it's either free or a very nominal charge.

Find yourself a new dentist.
I think you're thinking JUST of the crown, not the whole procedure. Getting the implant into the gum is the expensive, time-consuming thing.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #19
ssawka
DIS Veteran

I guess it depends on the circumstances, but $8K seems high to me. My insurance pays 70% and I recently had an implant done and it was about $1400 out of pocket. Some of that was for my deductible. So that would put it into the $3K - $4K range. I'm assuming that since you are looking at implants that there has already been a root canal performed on the tooth. If so, that buys you some time. Do you have a FSA that you can put money into to help?

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #20
scootch
DIS Veteran

I was quoted $5000 plus I need to have a sinus lift, which was going to cost more. I opted for a valplast denture. They are really small and not noticable at all, no wires or clips. My brother is an md and also told me that he had several patients with chronic pain issues related to implants, so that worried me a bit.
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #21
Disney-Chick
A Canadian who loves Disney eh!

I had 3 implants but 4 teeth removed (one implant has 2 teeth). When I was quoted they told me it would cost $14668.00 from beginning to end. Each implant was around $3000. I was lucky as the implants were covered under accidental. I did have to go to a periodontist who put the implants in. It's no fun at all. Then my regular dentist took the impressions of my teeth and put the crowns/teeth in. Over all out of pocket we had to spend $907 of the almost $15000.00.

As you said, your tooth is in the back and really if it is not visable to the public I would just leave it. My teeth were all my 4 front ones so I had to get it done. But they do look great!

Disney-Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
WeLuvDCL
First to cruise Kingdom to Kingdom on the Magic and Wonder!

My husbands was $3500 out of pocket after insurance. Not even sure why I pay for dental insurance as they only covered about $200. He just had his done 2 months ago.
DCL 5NT Wonder Aug 2010 ~ DCL 15NT Wonder Panama Canal Jan 2011 ~ DCL 4NT Dream Nov 2011 ~ DCL 4NT Dream Oct 2012 ~ DCL 4NT Dream Nov 2013

WeLuvDCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
Disney-Chick
A Canadian who loves Disney eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvDCL View Post
My husbands was $3500 out of pocket after insurance. Not even sure why I pay for dental insurance as they only covered about $200. He just had his done 2 months ago.
I find our dental plan isn't the best either. My daughter has braces and work done before having them put on and all they offered was $1500 a life time so by the time we went to use her money towards the braces there was only $900 left so we ended up paying out of pocket for the remaining balance.

Even with my implants my dental plan wouldn't cover the 2nd phase at 100% even though it was under the accidental and when my dentist called they wouldn't give a reason as to why they would only cover 80% Guess it's what they feel like that day.

These are the times I wish I were a kid again and had no worries except who was going to play barbies with me

Disney-Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
angierae
DIS Veteran

Honestly, when I had some severe problems with my very-back molar, my dentist gave me the following options:

1. Pull the tooth, have an implant put in.
2. Pull the tooth, do not have an implant put in, risk losing the tooth on top of it as well because there'll be nothing for the top tooth to "push against"
3. Let him try to build up a filling and see if that'll do.

I went with number 3, with #2 as a backup if the filling didn't hold. I said I would rather lose two back molars than pay that kind of money for an implant. It just wasn't that important to me. (And it's been a year now, and the tooth (which is pretty much half filling at this point) is doing just fine. Glad I didn't run out and spend thousands on an implant.

But yeah, if the hole is already healed up and not causing any problems, I wouldn't bother with an implant, personally, unless the risk of losing the corresponding tooth on top bothers you.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #25
KCMiller
Has decided she does not need anonymous approval, even if it does come from a fairy...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if you live anywhere near a college of dentistry, call them to see if they have an implant clinic. The work they do is fantastic, the 'students' are all already DDS grads and work with cutting edge technology and research (the big medical and dental supply companies GIVE these schools all the latest and greatest stuff, because they want the new graduates to use the latest technology). You'll get top notch work done for FAR less than ANY oral surgeon can provide, and the quality can't be beat.

KC

My DD was a Maid at Haunted Mansion , and then she was a Merchantainer at AK ! Hooray for the College Program!

My DS was a lifeguard at Blizzard Beach, and then a lifeguard at Caribbean Beach! Hooray for the College Program!
KCMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

We know someone who paid close to $10K for a dental implant. It had something to do with the bone that the implant screws into wasn't "firm" enough - so the cost involved some work on the bone as well.

To the OP - I would absolutely get a 2nd estimate on this - especially as you are questioning the first estimate.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
NYCDiane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
. I think you're thinking JUST of the crown, not the whole procedure. Getting the implant into the gum is the expensive, time-consuming thing.
No, not just the crown -- the entire procedure. I think it varies from region to region. If you're in a big city like NYC, it's going to be a lot less expensive for this procedure simply because the dentists perform more of these procedures than they do in small towns or small cities. Even if you go to Long Island ( a suburb of NYC), the prices would be less than what is being quoted here.
NYCDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #28
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

Here's the breakdown of the one I am currently in process of getting:
* $400 Bone Graft (you may or may not need this depending on the state of your jaw bone)
* $200 Surgical Guide
* $2000 Actual Implant Surgery
* $?? Crown - this is squishy, this is the only part my insurance partially covers. Last quote I got from my dentist was that I would pay around $700, I think the insurance is covering 60% but I'm not positive. (The crown is often put on by your regular dentist, not the surgeon)

There are more complicated cases that involve additional surgeries that involve the sinuses, etc. Those of course increase the cost. But if you don't have a case like that, then $8000 for one tooth seems crazy high.

(PS I am in a high cost of living area, and have one of the best oral surgeons in the city, so my cost is not a lowball one.)
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #29
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granfan View Post
Thank you. I will find another dentist. A bridge is not possible because its the last tooth in the back with nothing to anchor to. It really doesn't show so I won't get an implant. Not now anyway. Thanks for all the replies!
If its a tooth in the back why did the dentist say it was for cosmetic reasons?? If it in the back and you have no problems missing a tooth back there I would not have it done. If it were in the front then I can see why you would need it but who is going to see the back of your mouth!

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 05-26-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #30
lchadwick
I love my monsters!

I had a back molar pulled in 1988, due to a root canal that didn't take. At that time, with my dad's FANTASTIC dental insurance, an implant still would have cost my parents $1500. I told my parents to forget it and I was happy - no regrets. The molar above shifted SLIGHTLY and I've never had any issues with that area.
Ryleigh
Chadwick

Zumba, baby!
Zumba Instructor in:
Zumba, Aqua Zumba, Zumba Sentao, Zumba Toning, Zumba Gold, Zumba Gold-Toning, and Zumbatomic (for kids)
lchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: