Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2val
We just booked the Dec 1 cruise leaving from Galveston. DD, Dh and myself all do not currently have passports or passport cards. Dh and I are wondering if we need to get the passport cards- specifically for dd although we'd go ahead and get ours too. Our reason is dd is adopted- she is hispanic and we are not. My parents got dh and I freaked out this weekend about taking her into Mexico without proof she is ours--- I thought maybe the fact the child does not speak a word of spanish might be proof enough. DD is 11 by the way and will be 12 when we cruise.
We are going on the Seattle to Vancouver Alaska repo in sept. because we are disembarking in B.C and driving back into the US, DH and I are getting passport cards (good for entry by land or sea).

My DS is also adopted. Because he is under 16 he only needs a BC, but we are also carrying his adoption decree (certified with seal) just in case there are issues. We find it best to carry it whenever his ID is needed, just in case.

ETA: the card is not a waste for us because we can use it to drive to Canada whenever we want. And on this cruise we won't really be in a place where we would need to fly home if needed....we will be in Alaska, then in Vancouver which is 3 hours from home.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
IMHO--card is a total waste of money. It isn't what you need in an emergency, and what it will do for cruise purposes is exactly what a certified birth certificate will do. Either get a real passport or use BC; don't waste the money on the card.
I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post
We are going on the Seattle to Vancouver Alaska repo in sept. because we are disembarking in B.C and driving back into the US, DH and I are getting passport cards (good for entry by land or sea).

My DS is also adopted. Because he is under 16 he only needs a BC, but we are also carrying his adoption decree (certified with seal) just in case there are issues. We find it best to carry it whenever his ID is needed, just in case.

ETA: the card is not a waste for us because we can use it to drive to Canada whenever we want. And on this cruise we won't really be in a place where we would need to fly home if needed....we will be in Alaska, then in Vancouver which is 3 hours from home.
Why not just get the Enhanced Driver's License for your purposes? Much cheaper.

We have passports, and are happy to have them! It means the world is our oyster, should an incredible airfare land in our laps. DS has only used his, and I've only used my renewed one, for driving/taking the train into/out of Canada, but we're not limited to that like we would be without it!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

The passport book is the safest option since it covers allows all travel, air, car border crossing, etc.

You would need it if someone needs to fly home unexpectedly in the middle of a cruise, or if there is a problem with the cruise and it needs to be canceled mid-cruise, or if you miss embarkation and have to fly to the next port.

A couple of years ago, 20 people from New York missed their flight to Miami due to a horrible snowstorm. They got rerouted to Aruba (the first stop on the ship's itinerary). Unfortunately, only 8 people had passports--the rest couldn't fly out.

Same thing happened last year in St Thomas. A hurricane was heading in, the ships embarking there were ordered by the port authorities to leave--stranding over 300 people who were on their way to the ship. The cruise lines offer to fly passengers to the next port, but only half could do so since they had their passports. And remember, cruise lines and insurance companies do not pay out refunds or claims for documentation errors like passports, visas, etc.

Bottom line is, while a passport is not necessary for closed loop US cruises, if you need it, you really need it-- like insurance. Some people never buy insurance and then there is the one time they really needed it.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

Well, manly because I hadn't even thought if that! thanks!

We do have passport books that are expired, from years of traveling, but don't have the time/money to renew right now.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #20
Gdes1
Mouseketeer

Our kids have them for the same reason I buy trip insurance....to be able to fly home easily should something happen. Also, I just think it's a good thing to have in general. DS got his when he was 18 months old and I just got the docs together to get one for our new baby.

Like most other choices, it's risk vs. cost and you have to just decide what you are comfortable with.
Gdes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
MTmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I agree 100%.

We have passports, and are happy to have them! It means the world is our oyster, should an incredible airfare land in our laps. DS has only used his, and I've only used my renewed one, for driving/taking the train into/out of Canada, but we're not limited to that like we would be without it!
Because some states (cough cough Montana cough cough) don't issue enhanced drivers licenses. Even though the entire northern border of our state leads into Canada.......
Old 11-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #22
DannyDisneyFreak
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

I'm traveling with my kids and fiancé but my children's mother is deceased, will there be any issue with me taking the kids out of the country with out their mother? I just wasnt sure if there would be an issue becasue their mother's name is on their birth certs, if she was alive would I need her permission? Should I take a copy of her death cert just incase? I hate having to bring that along for vacation!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDisneyFreak
I'm traveling with my kids and fiancé but my children's mother is deceased, will there be any issue with me taking the kids out of the country with out their mother? I just wasnt sure if there would be an issue becasue their mother's name is on their birth certs, if she was alive would I need her permission? Should I take a copy of her death cert just incase? I hate having to bring that along for vacation!
We were in the same position for our 11/3 cruise. We are a blended family so I brought my two kids and Jon brought his two youngest. He is a widow I am not. When we booked the cruise DCL cm on the phone told me several times that Jon needed to bring his late wife's death cert and I needed a notarized letter from my kids dad. She went over this with me a few times and made sure I wrote it down. We ended up getting Jon's girls passports and since the info about their mom is coded in there he didn't need to bring the death cert with him. I did bring the letter from my kids dad but no one asked for it! I have read a few threads on this and it seems that DCL is really hit or miss on asking for this kind of paperwork. I am really glad all six of us had passports and I brought my letter just for my own peace of mind!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
bcla
DIS Veteran

Just saw this in a search.

A passport card can be used if it's not a closed loop cruise, as was hinted earlier in this thread. Disney has several sailings that aren't, including cruises from Vancouver to Los Angeles and Vancouver to Alaska. I think there are also ones to the Bahamas that return to the US at a different port.

A birth certificate and ID may not be enough if it's a married woman whose married name is on a driver license or state ID. They typically also require a certified marriage license or certified court order to document the name change. You don't need to go through that with a passport or passport card. I'm also a little bit puzzled about how cruise lines say photocopies are acceptable. With modern photo editing tools, it's pretty easy to fake one by scanning a real one and modifying it with a name and DOB to match an ID. Since many photocopies are a little bit fuzzy, it could be convincing enough.

I also don't like the idea of using my driver license or a state ID with address during a vacation. Anyone doing that just broadcasts to whoever sees it that they just went on vacation and here's my address. Of course you've got the same issues with the booking agent and anyone else who has access to the reservation. Call me paranoid, but I'm a little worried that someone might jot down or electronically record my address, have an associate who isn't above a little burglary, and is willing to share that info for a cut of the proceeds.

The other issue is that I would never, ever travel with a real certified copy of a birth certificate. There's a risk of identity fraud if it's lost or stolen. California used to allow anyone to order a full copy of a birth certificate, and I heard about people who used one to establish new lives with someone else's identity. At least with a passport card, there's a photo that would have to be reasonably matched with the person.

I also thought there could be some issues trying to use a birth certificate to exit at a port of call.

Still - if I were to travel, I'd bring my family's regular passports. In fact - I'd bring everything including a passport card and ID. At least the card fits in my wallet.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: