Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
poohbear luvs grumpy
Mouseketeer

Passport book / passport card?

What is the difference and are they both accepted the same?

Years ago I was able to get a birth certificate and a birth card for my kids but now the birth cards are no longer accepted. I hate to spend a lot of money on something that will become useless.
poohbear luvs grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

U.S. Passport Card Frequently Asked Questions

What is the passport card?

The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea.

Why can’t I use the passport card to fly to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda?

The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international travel by air.

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
poohbear luvs grumpy
Mouseketeer

Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

If you get a passport card for a closed loop cruise you are wasting a lot of money. You can use a birth certificate for children and a BC and photo ID for adults and those are just as useful as a passport card in an emergency.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
trimix
DIS Veteran

The passport card is a waste of money, period!

If you live near the Canadian border a NEXUS card is cheaper ($50 vs $55) and it allows you to skip the line when crossing the border. The lines near where I live regularly reach an hour long, and can exceed two hours on holiday weekends.

If you live near the Mexican border, a SENTRI pass is considerably more expensive, but again you get to skip the line when driving across the border. But you also need to get your car certified.

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post

If you live near the Canadian border a NEXUS card is cheaper ($50 vs $55) and it allows you to skip the line when crossing the border. The lines near where I live regularly reach an hour long, and can exceed two hours on holiday weekends.

If you live near the Mexican border, a SENTRI pass is considerably more expensive, but again you get to skip the line when driving across the border. But you also need to get your car certified.
So basically, if you're crossing a border on a ship, without any plans to drive across any borders any time soon, the cards aren't any better than a birth cert and driver's license.

My sister and her DH cruised on Carnival. Mexican Riviera round trip from Los Angeles, last year and thought they needed the cards. um, no. I didn't tell her she had wasted her money, since if there was an emergency she would have needed a passport book to fly home from Mexico.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
poohbear luvs grumpy
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all of the responses. They were all very helpful.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Billinaz
Waiting to spend time in our home away from home.. cabin 12506!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post

I also use our passport cards as a government issued photo ID (it does not have an address on it)

PAST CRUISES (13)
02/11/2004 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/03/2005 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Day WDW and 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2006 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/01/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Night Bahamas
02/08/2008 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/07/2009 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Western
02/07/2010 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/27/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- & Cabana #3 Inaugural 4Night Bahamas
03/03/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- Missed CC - Inaugural 3 Night Bahamas
04/21/2012 Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana #4- Inaugural 7 Night Eastern
04/20/2013 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana 4- 7 Night Eastern
03/08/2014 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506& Cabana 3- 7 Night Eastern
Billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
mom2val
Can't wait to go back

should we get the card???

We just booked the Dec 1 cruise leaving from Galveston. DD, Dh and myself all do not currently have passports or passport cards. Dh and I are wondering if we need to get the passport cards- specifically for dd although we'd go ahead and get ours too. Our reason is dd is adopted- she is hispanic and we are not. My parents got dh and I freaked out this weekend about taking her into Mexico without proof she is ours--- I thought maybe the fact the child does not speak a word of spanish might be proof enough. DD is 11 by the way and will be 12 when we cruise.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

I just filled out all the forms to get passports for the four of us. When I called DCL I was told that we wouldn't need passports, but it was highly recommended. I was told that we would be required to have certified birth certificates.

For what reasons would I NEED a passport??? It'd be really nice to NOT have to spend that $400!
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
MTmomma
DIS Veteran

We got both the Passport book and the card. For us, its a second form of Government issued ID for me, and a legal form of ID for my DS (10) For this use alone, it is worth it FOR US. And carrying around the full passport book on a daily basis makes my eye twitch! It remains in the file cabinent with the copies of the Birth Certificates I have.
Would I personally travel anywhere outside the US without a passport book? No, because the thought of having to be at the mercy of a US Embassy somewhere in the middle of an emergency is kind of scary. With the book, all we need to worry about is how to get home quickly. I dont like waiting on governmental red tape on a good day, in an emergency, it would probably send me over the edge.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkochrn View Post
I just filled out all the forms to get passports for the four of us. When I called DCL I was told that we wouldn't need passports, but it was highly recommended. I was told that we would be required to have certified birth certificates.

For what reasons would I NEED a passport??? It'd be really nice to NOT have to spend that $400!
If you are out of the country and need to fly home for some emergency reason.

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
mom2val
Can't wait to go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkochrn View Post

From what I understand the only real reason you "need" passports right now is in case of emergency- needing to be flown into the country. Without passport you can only enter by boat.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
dmurch1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkochrn
They'd be important for emergencies, especially if you needed to fly back into the US.
01/2007: Port Orleans Riverside -- P&PP 1/24/07
09/2007: Port Orleans Riverside (Free Dining) -- NOJ 9/8/07 -- MNSSHP 9/14/07
01/2008: All Star Movies -- P&PP 1/21/08
11/2008: Port Orleans Riverside (Free Dining) -- MVMCP 11/16/08
01/2009: Pop Century
09/2009: Pop Century (Free Dining) -- MNSSHP 9/22/09
05/2010: Pop Century (Free Dining) and then The Dolphin -- Star Wars Weekend 5/30/10
01/2012: Pop Century (Free Dining)
dmurch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2val View Post
We just booked the Dec 1 cruise leaving from Galveston. DD, Dh and myself all do not currently have passports or passport cards. Dh and I are wondering if we need to get the passport cards- specifically for dd although we'd go ahead and get ours too. Our reason is dd is adopted- she is hispanic and we are not. My parents got dh and I freaked out this weekend about taking her into Mexico without proof she is ours--- I thought maybe the fact the child does not speak a word of spanish might be proof enough. DD is 11 by the way and will be 12 when we cruise.
A passport card or passport will not prove she is YOURS, it will prove she is a US citizen. Um...a card would be worthless if she needed to fly home in an emergency while a real passport would cover her.

IMHO--card is a total waste of money. It isn't what you need in an emergency, and what it will do for cruise purposes is exactly what a certified birth certificate will do. Either get a real passport or use BC; don't waste the money on the card.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: