Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
need2travel
Mouseketeer

ABD for adults w/ no kids

Hi All-planning ahead here, my husband & I were looking at some of the 2013 itineraries (specifically Greece & France) but we have no kids. Will we feel out of place on an ABD trip? I know they offer adult only departures but hub is a teacher so those dates don't work for us. We've travelled w/ Tauck 6 times w/ #7 booked for this July and have always been very happy w/ them but we like the look of the ABD Greece trip a lot. We enjoy travelling w/ Tauck & are just afraid that an ABD will be too "child oriented". Opinions please!! Thanks in advance!!
need2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

I am a single adult and I have done 3 ABD trips and I did not feel out of place at all. There is usually at least one adult only trip for each itinerary if you are worried you could book that
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

I travel with my child, so don't have any firsthand experience, but on 2 of the 3 ABDs we've taken so far there were couples traveling without children. All of our ABDs have been in July. On our 2nd trip the couples without children outnumbered those of us with children. As long as you don't mind being around other people's kids, I think you will have a great time. The guides do a fantastic job of making sure everybody feel comfortable.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
sjlsk8r
Mouseketeer

DH and I just booked our third ABD trip. We do not have any children and I am also a teacher. We have loved all of them. I would describe the trips as child friendly as opposed to child oriented. To us, having the children on the trip is part of the charm - to see new places from thier perspective as well. We love the service and detail proveded by ABD and have never felt "out of the loop" because we didn't have children in our party.
sjlsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
JRM815
Earning My Ears

Our ABD trip to Yellowstone last year had one couple (in their late 40's or so) w/o kids, but the summer before (ABD to Yosemite) we were the only "traditional" family. There were two couples w/o kids (one couple in their late 30's, the other in the mid 60's), two women (who happened to be travel agents) travelling together, and four mother with daughter/son pairs. For many of the dinners the guides would have the kids sit together (with them) and the adults would be free to have dinner with other adults.
JRM815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Just returned from London and Paris - (still doing ) - of the 20 on the tour, there was a family with two children - grade 4 and grade 8, and our daughter, who is almost 19. The rest were couples or single people. We all had a fabulous time together. The guides read each group and engage accordingly, in my opinion. With our group, we laughed all week long. What a glorious time we all had!

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I agree with the others. I'm a single, traveling solo, and have NEVER felt out of place because of that. I agree with sjlsk8r. The trips are child friendly, not child oriented. Unless you really can't stand to be around children, you should be fine.

I agree. The Greece trip looks excellent. I'm likely taking that trip next year.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
need2travel
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone, I think we feel a bit more comfortable-now we just have to decide which trip to take-Greece w/ ABD or Week in Spain w/ Tauck. At least we have plenty of time to decide.

SayHello-I LOVE your trip reports-they are terrific! Please keep travelling so I can keep reading (and rereading!!)
need2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2travel View Post
Thanks everyone, I think we feel a bit more comfortable-now we just have to decide which trip to take-Greece w/ ABD or Week in Spain w/ Tauck. At least we have plenty of time to decide.

SayHello-I LOVE your trip reports-they are terrific! Please keep travelling so I can keep reading (and rereading!!)
The Spain Tauck tour looks very interesting. I wish ABD will bring back their Spain ABD. I thought they would now that they added Madrid tour to their pre-Med cruise next year.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2travel View Post

The only place I've been in Spain (besides the Madrid airport ) is Barcelona, and I *loved* Barcelona! But the Greece trip sounds really cool.

I'm so glad you enjoy my trip reports!

Sayhello
Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
tigger_ttfn
Mouseketeer

We have no children and DH is a teacher. We have done ABD Ireland and Italy. We never felt out of place even though we were the only couple without kids. Ireland had younger kids and they kinda bonded and all hung out together. Italy had lots of teens so they hung together but also didn't mind being with the adults. But, nonetheless, ABD was awesome!!

tigger_ttfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #12
SnowhiteHeather
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
I am a single adult and I have done 3 ABD trips and I did not feel out of place at all. There is usually at least one adult only trip for each itinerary if you are worried you could book that
You've gone alone?? I am really wanting to go on the Emerald Isles trip, but have nobody to go with.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #13
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowhiteHeather View Post
You've gone alone?? I am really wanting to go on the Emerald Isles trip, but have nobody to go with.
I've done 4 ABD's and have traveled solo on all 4 of them. While there is a single supplement, it's not bad as single supplements go (usually about 40%). I kind of like having a certain amount of alone time while on these trips, plus I just don't have friends who want to or can travel with me. And honestly, I'm fairly high-maintenance, and it's easier to not share a bathroom in the morning!

But if the only way you can afford to go is to get a roommate, then I say go for it! There have been folks traveling solo on my trips as well as single people sharing.

Sayhello
Old 07-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
SnowhiteHeather
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I've done 4 ABD's and have traveled solo on all 4 of them. While there is a single supplement, it's not bad as single supplements go (usually about 40%). I kind of like having a certain amount of alone time while on these trips, plus I just don't have friends who want to or can travel with me. And honestly, I'm fairly high-maintenance, and it's easier to not share a bathroom in the morning!

But if the only way you can afford to go is to get a roommate, then I say go for it! There have been folks traveling solo on my trips as well as single people sharing.

Sayhello

I've never traveled alone at all...but I am also high maintenance when it comes to sharing, especially with someone I've just met. I just assume people are extra friendly on this trips and i'll have no problem making friends so I don't have to spend my down time eating lunch by myself? I am planning on going in 2014 so as soon as that roll call opens up I'll start making some friends!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #15
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowhiteHeather View Post
I've never traveled alone at all...but I am also high maintenance when it comes to sharing, especially with someone I've just met. I just assume people are extra friendly on this trips and i'll have no problem making friends so I don't have to spend my down time eating lunch by myself? I am planning on going in 2014 so as soon as that roll call opens up I'll start making some friends!
In my experience, people are VERY friendly on these trips, and you'll only eat lunch by yourself if you want to. One of the great things about ABDs is the sense of community that grows in the group quite quickly, helped along by the amazing Adventure Guides. One reason I love doing these trips is that I can travel solo, but very much feel like I am not alone.

Sayhello

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: