Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

The WDW Vets Head West! A DL May 2012 TR - Complete!

Hello, everyone, and welcome to my first Disneyland TR! And if you have been following my WDW PTR, welcome back. I look forward to sharing our wonderful trip and sharing our DLR experience from an experienced WDW perspective.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Introduction

Monday May 14th
DAY 0 & DAY 1 Part 1: A Long Road Ahead
DAY 1 Part 2: A Spooky Beginning
DAY 1 Part 3: Weather Vanes: A Pictorial
DAY 1 Part 4: Fantasmic! AP Event
DAY 1 Part 5: Fantasmic! AP Event Continued

Tuesday May 15th
DAY 2 Part 1: A Very Merry Unbirthday to You!
DAY 2 Part 2: Mike Wazowski!
DAY 2 Part 3: It's FUN to be a Bug!
DAY 2 Part 4: Part of Your World
DAY 2 Part 5: A Dancing Pirate
DAY 2 Part 6: Life of a Parent

Wednesday May 16th
DAY 3 Part 1: Mr Toad's Wildly Confusing Ride
DAY 3 Part 2: Silly Symphony
DAY 3 Part 3: DS's Carrousel Marathon & an Unwelcome Surprise
DAY 3 Part 4: The World is a Carousel of Color
World of Color Videos

Thursday May 17th
DAY 4 Part 1: Toontown Morning Madness
DAY 4 Part 2: A Monorail Ride to Nowhere
DAY 4 Part 3: Technical Difficulties
DAY 4 Part 4: Until Next Time, DL...

DL Portion Wrap Up & Souvenirs

Friday May 18th
DAY 5: Happy Birthday, DH!

Saturday May 19th
DAY 6 Part 1: Master Agility Champion
DAY 6 Part 2: Where's the Camera?!

Sunday May 20th
DAY 7: A Double Birthday Celebration

Monday May 21st
DAY 8: Goodbye, West Coast!

JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014

Last edited by khertz; 09-28-2012 at 05:29 PM.
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
khertz

Introduction

First, a little bit of an introduction. Here’s a picture of us from Mother’s Day this year, the day before we left for California.

And now for the trip details!

WHO?

There are three players in this TR!

First up is me! I’m 26 years old, and a pediatric nurse dreaming of being a Disney Travel Agent. I love planning Disney World trips, and had a blast planning our very first family trip to Disneyland this time around. I have been to WDW 9 times with my 10th time coming up later this year in October, so I was more than a little excited to be able to visit the original park.

Next up is my wonderful DH! He was 27 at the beginning of this trip, but turned 28 on the day we were leaving DLR. He’s an electrical engineer by trade, but also a fantastic husband to me and dad to our little boy. His favorite Disney character is definitely Donald Duck, without a doubt, and he also enjoys collecting and trading Vinylmations. This was his second visit to Disneyland park, but his first visit to DCA and his first long trip to DLR.

And last but certainly not least is our adorable little boy Paxton! He is currently 19 months old, and has been to Disney World once at 12 months old, but this was also his first visit to Disneyland Resort. What an entirely different experience! It was a little more difficult this time around to keep him occupied in ride lines and to move around with him in general because he’d rather walk than be held or in the stroller most of the time. He loves Elmo & Mickey Mouse about equally these days.

WHAT?

4 days and 4 nights at the Disneyland Resort. DH and I used our Premier Annual Passes for the second time. We flew in on Delta airlines and had a rental car to get us around from Advantage.

WHERE?

DH and I are Wyndham owners, and we were able to book a 1 bedroom unit at the Wyndham Dolphin’s Cove Resort, just a couple of blocks away from DLR. I think when I timed it, the drive to the Mickey & Friends parking structure was about 6-7 minutes total, which made it great for going back to the resort for a midday nap.

WHEN?

Our trip went from May 14-18. We had a little time in the park on Monday afternoon after we arrived, and three full days on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday before flying out on Friday.

WHY?

We took this trip for a couple of different reasons. What started it initially was about a year ago when DH was in California for work and took a day trip to DL when he had some downtime. When he came back, he started talking with his dad about us all visiting Seattle sometime this May for his grandmother’s 75th birthday. This sounded great because DH’s family in Seattle (my FIL’s mother, sister & her husband, and brother) had never met Paxton, and DH’s grandmother is now too sick to really travel at all. As we thought about it, DH thought that if we were already making our way across country from Louisiana, might as well take advantage and add on some DL days to make it a long vacation instead of flying all the way to Seattle just for a few days. After talking with his dad, who said anytime in May was fine, we settled on our dates. Fly in to LAX on Monday the 14th, stay through Friday the 18th when we would fly from LAX to Seattle, stay the weekend, and fly home from Seattle to New Orleans on Monday the 21st.

So those are the basics for this trip! I hope you will join me as I share my very first Disneyland experience with you! I will also most likely make a couple of posts to share some pictures and videos from our weekend in Washington state to round out the vacation, but you are more than welcome to ignore that if you are only interested in the DLR portion. I won’t be offended! Lol
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014

Last edited by khertz; 06-29-2012 at 02:40 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
khertz

DAY 0 & DAY 1: A Long Road Ahead

DAY 0: Sunday May 13th

As a little precursor to our trip, we celebrated Mother's Day with my family in the New Orleans area. This served 2 purposes, the first of course being to celebrate Mother's Day, and the second to be closer to the New Orleans airport where we'd be flying out from the next morning. I started off the day with some Mickey shaped eggs and a biscuit from my wonderful DH.

We finished packing up our last minute things and got all of our bags into the car.

Luggage wise, we had one large and one medium suitcase to check, one carry-on suitcase, two backpacks, a camera bag, an overnight bag of stuff to use that night at my mom's house, plus our stroller, DS's carseat, our cat in her carrier, and flowers for our moms for mother's day. All squeezed into our little Honda Civic along with the three of us for the two hour drive to my parents' house! It was quite a smushed ride, but we made it.

DS had fun playing with my cousins, which was wonderful because it got him thoroughly tired out for that night in preparation for a VERY early morning!

We got him to bed a little later than normal, around 9 pm, in hopes that between that and getting up early, he'd sleep for most of the flight. DH and I went to bed not long after and definitely did not get a good night's sleep! Unfortunately, this is pretty typical at my parents' house for me, so I was not surprised. I don't know what it is about their house, but I cannot sleep well there! At 11 pm I was getting up to disable their two automatic fragrance dispensers because the little puffing noises every 9 minutes were driving me crazy. I think I fell asleep somewhere around midnight. And just in time, because our alarms were set for 4:30 am!

DAY 1: Monday May 14th

Our alarms went off not-so-bright & early Monday morning, and we immediately jumped into action. DH and I quickly got dressed and brushed our teeth before waking up DS. We got him dressed and made him a cup of milk and a piece of toast to take in the car, and we left for the airport by 5 am. My dad drove us in our car, so I was squished in the backseat next to DS in his carseat. It was a little uncomfortable, but it made it easier to give him the toast without making a mess!

We arrived at the airport at 5:30 am and it was a total mess! The line to check bags was stretching way out of the switchbacks and the nearby security line looked outrageous. I didn't think there was any way we'd make it on our flight! But we printed our boarding passes, checked our bags, and actually found out we needed a different terminal than the one with the insane security line. When we went over to the other terminal, the security line was MUCH more manageable! We made it to our gate with about 5 minutes to spare before family boarding started at 6:35 am. Just enough time to get a gate check tag for the stroller and fill Paxton's sippy cup with water from the fountain.

The three of us got onto the plane with family boarding and DH quickly got DS's carseat strapped into the window seat of our row.

Mr. Cheesy at 7 am!

Just as the plane started to take off, our hopes and dreams came true, and DS conked out! I was still pretty tired from running off just 4 hours of sleep, so I closed my eyes and tried to nap too. It was all going according to plan until about 30 minutes into the flight when the guy in the seat behind DS got up by pulling on DS's seat and woke him up. Then he was awake for the rest of the flight, which was a total of 4 hours and 15 minutes. Luckily I had a backpack absolutely busting with stuff for him to do!

We worked our way through a couple of the toys, and he watched some Sesame Street on the iPad. After a little bit I had to switch seats with DH so that he could entertain DS and I could get more sleep because I was quickly running out of gas and I wanted to be able to enjoy our first day in Disneyland.

He got a little cranky on descent and absolutely refused to drink from his sippy cup, so that was a little frustrating, but we finally landed a little after 9 am California time. We took our time getting off the plane, and let most of the other people get off first since we had to unbuckle the carseat and get all of our bags. When we got off the plane, the three of us took a bathroom break since I had figured taking DS out of his carseat during the flight would be a bad idea unless absolutely necessary. By the time we made it down to baggage claim, the carousel had stopped running and our bags were nowhere in sight!

After a bit of a panic attack, we finally found an airline attendant off to the back who had pulled them off the carousel and was holding them there. Relieved, we gathered up our bags and headed out to wait for the shuttle to our rental car counter. Just as we were starting to think one was NEVER coming (meanwhile about a dozen buses for Hertz, Avis, National, etc had come and gone), an Advantage shuttle finally arrived and we were on our way...only to stand in ANOTHER long line to get the rental car! So long in fact, I had time to feed DS his lunch and he fell asleep in the stroller while waiting for DH to get through the line and finish the transaction.

We got out to the parking lot to find our car, a Nissan Altima.

At this point, the stress of trying to get all of the luggage and stroller to fit in the car was starting to get to DH. And unfortunately, I forgot to remind him to grab the directions to the resort from his backpack, and he had to practically take everything out of the trunk that he had just figured out how to get in to get them from his backpack. Oops. But he was able to get everything to fit, and we were on our way to our resort.

It was about a 40 minute drive out to Anaheim, and DS slept for the last half. We actually passed Disneyland on the way to the resort, and it was so strange to see Tower of Terror and other attractions from the street! So different than WDW.

We arrived at Dolphin's Cove, and since DS was still sleeping, I stayed in the car with him while DH went inside to check-in and find out if our room was ready. Luckily, it was!! We drove around to our building and found our room on the second floor. DS was a little cranky to wake up, but he perked up as soon as we set him down inside and let him have run of the place!

The master bedroom

Living room

Living room, dining room, and small kitchen

It was not a huge unit by any means, but enough space for the three of us and our stuff, and it had everything we needed (except a dish sponge! One of these days I will remember to pack my own because so few Wyndham resorts have them!).

After unpacking our clothes and toiletries, we made a quick run to Target for groceries and stopped at Jack in the Box for lunch for myself & DH on the way back to the room to drop off the food. We repacked my backpack with stuff for the parks, and it was time to head out for our first look at Disneyland!

UP NEXT: A spooky start to the vacation

Last edited by khertz; 06-29-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Great start! Too bad Paxton wasn't able to sleep for a little bit longer. It could have been worse though...

I look forward to reading about Disneyland through the eyes of WDW veterans!
afwdwfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Great start! Too bad Paxton wasn't able to sleep for a little bit longer. It could have been worse though...

I look forward to reading about Disneyland through the eyes of WDW veterans!
Oh yes, it definitely could have been worse, and I'm thankful it wasn't! We actually got at least one compliment on how well behaved he was on every flight. He definitely has his moments, but he is pretty good considering.

Glad you made it over here!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Subscribing! Can't wait to hear about your Disneyland trip

Btw I like the 'California' licence plate on the rental car .. I think it's so nice that each state has its own design, here all cars just have the same style lol.

Emma x
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Great start- can't wait to see what Paxton thinks of DL!
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Subscribing! Can't wait to hear about your Disneyland trip

Btw I like the 'California' licence plate on the rental car .. I think it's so nice that each state has its own design, here all cars just have the same style lol.

Emma x
Too funny about the license plates! I am so used to all of the states having their own design, I think it would be funny to see them all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
Great start- can't wait to see what Paxton thinks of DL!
Thanks for joining in!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

I am so in on this!

No comments yet, though...

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
KTgE
Mouseketeer

Subscribing! I've been off the last two months and just got caught back up on your WDW PTR and decided to hop over here.
KTgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I am so in on this!

No comments yet, though...
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTgE View Post
Subscribing! I've been off the last two months and just got caught back up on your WDW PTR and decided to hop over here.
Glad you made it! I'm still trying to catch up on everything I missed being gone for a week.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Is that a Hidden Mickey in the living room I see? UGh...Disney on the brain.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

Hey! I am here and loving every scrap of info so far...I know, not much yet, but as a fellow Wyndham owner I was so interested in seeing those pics! The unit looks well maintained and very neutral in decor...right up our alley...just might have to think about going to DL/DCA soon!

Can't wait to read more and more and more!

ash-n-brensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #14
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Is that a Hidden Mickey in the living room I see? UGh...Disney on the brain.
I see it, I see it!!

ash-n-brensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

I'm here! But not reading yet....have to get through the long weekend first! Will be back next week! So glad you started!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: