Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
DCLInauguralXmas
Mouseketeer

Help, I am FE captain and don't know what to do...

I was volunteered to be the Fish Extender Captain on our Dec Cruise. I have participated in the FE on two other cruises but am not sure what it entails other than sharing a list of the participants with the other members. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

1974 - 1985 X Mas at WDW - Fort Wilderness 1984 1st trip to DL - offsite, 1986 Honeymoon at WDW - offsite, 1990 back to DL - offsite, 1993 1st trip to WDW with kids age 2 and 1 - offsite, 1995 - WDW offsite
1998 - Inaugural Christmas Cruise on Magic - with all four kids youngest twins 10 mos old.
2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - X Mas at WDW - Port Orleans
2008 - 10 year celebration of our first DCL Xmas Cruise - 7 night western Magic
2010 - August off site, November All Star Movie
2011 - January Fort Wilderness Villa
2011 - Wonderful Alaskan Cruise Wonder in Roy Disney suite
2012 - New Y"Ears" Eve on the Fantasy
2013 - Christmas and New Years on Magic B2B2B
DCLInauguralXmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Dream_2011
Mouseketeer

Fish extender

Hi love to do fish extender, for that reason I open a Facebook page to share picture and idea
https://www.facebook.com/login.php?n...11023398247%2F

3/12 Disney Fantasy
3/11 Disney Dream
12/09 Disney Wonder
4/07 Disney Magic
2/06 Disney Magic
2/05 Disney Wonder

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...4s2kngmz36.png
Dream_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
ksloane
DIS Veteran

I am heading up my first 2 right now.

I created a google form for everyone to fill out with their information so that I could post the link here in the forum.

This creates a spreadsheet in google docs that you can then share with the other members. I do this through PM so that everyone's personal information is not available to the world.

We included
DIS name
Room #
Names and ages of members of party
Allergies?
Celebrating Anything?
Favorite characters?
Anything else to share?
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Basically, as you said, you need to make a spread sheet/list that you will share with all participants. You'll need to go to the Dis-meet after boarding with a bunch of extra copies of the list for those who somehow left their copy at home (or never printed it!). And you will be the coordinator for anyone who has upgraded their cabin at the last minute. You'll need to communicate the old and new cabin numbers to the group at the meeting and perhaps with a sign on your door (something like 2006 is now 7132). Then have fun.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
DCLInauguralXmas
Mouseketeer

Thank you!!!

Awesome, thanks for the ideas.

I never would have thought to ask about allergies...

Great idea to use my cabin door to announce last minute cabin changes, that way people who don't make the group meeting will still be in the know...

I appreciate the suggestions keep em comin.

1974 - 1985 X Mas at WDW - Fort Wilderness 1984 1st trip to DL - offsite, 1986 Honeymoon at WDW - offsite, 1990 back to DL - offsite, 1993 1st trip to WDW with kids age 2 and 1 - offsite, 1995 - WDW offsite
1998 - Inaugural Christmas Cruise on Magic - with all four kids youngest twins 10 mos old.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
DCLInauguralXmas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_2011 View Post
Hi love to do fish extender, for that reason I open a Facebook page to share picture and idea
https://www.facebook.com/login.php?n...11023398247%2F
How do you set up a password protected facebook page????

Old 05-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
needAcruise
Mouseketeer

If you have a lot of FE participants, you may want to assign each cabin a delivery date.

The FE organizer for my last cruise did that for a 7-day cruise with over 20 cabins participating. Each day about 3 cabins "delivered". This way no one was going crazy trying to deliver everything as soon as they boarded. Plus it stretched the fun over the entire cruise!

My kids loved going back to the stateroom multiple times and seeing if there were any gifts in their FE pocket. Some cabins delivered early in the am, some delivered around dinner time.

It really made the entire cruise that much more "magical"!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by needAcruise View Post
If you have a lot of FE participants, you may want to assign each cabin a delivery date.

The FE organizer for my last cruise did that for a 7-day cruise with over 20 cabins participating. Each day about 3 cabins "delivered". This way no one was going crazy trying to deliver everything as soon as they boarded. Plus it stretched the fun over the entire cruise!

My kids loved going back to the stateroom multiple times and seeing if there were any gifts in their FE pocket. Some cabins delivered early in the am, some delivered around dinner time.

Be sure to ask your group about this one. I know we discussed it for one of our cruises and the consensus was that we didn't want to be tied to a particular day and instead preferred to just plan it around our own schedule when we had a break between excursions, activities, etc.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

I have been in charge of 2 FEs. Set a date to cut off sign ups. ( we did this and still had some join.) we ended with 42, with a few extras some of us are up to 48! I would not assign anyone a certain date to pass out gifts.

Some groups like to split the lists too. We went with the more the merrier.

I set the list up in excel. I put the cabins in order from deck to 2 then up. I also made a box to show what side of the ship the cabins were in.

I sent the list to everyone after the cut off to make sure I had right names, spellings, cabin info.

I had to resend the list a few times after that because of VGTs etc getting their cabin assignments.
Our group has a facebook page and I was able to update from there too.

I have a lot of fun organizing this.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

Our suuuuuper awesome FE leader for our cruise next week made a ship map showing where all the cabins are!

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic3forme View Post
I have been in charge of 2 FEs. Set a date to cut off sign ups. ( we did this and still had some join.) we ended with 42, with a few extras some of us are up to 48! I would not assign anyone a certain date to pass out gifts.

Some groups like to split the lists too. We went with the more the merrier.

I set the list up in excel. I put the cabins in order from deck to 2 then up. I also made a box to show what side of the ship the cabins were in.

I sent the list to everyone after the cut off to make sure I had right names, spellings, cabin info.

I had to resend the list a few times after that because of VGTs etc getting their cabin assignments.
Our group has a facebook page and I was able to update from there too.

I have a lot of fun organizing this.
Do be sure to set a signup date at least a month or so before the cruise so that everyone has time to make/buy their gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfreud View Post
Our suuuuuper awesome FE leader for our cruise next week made a ship map showing where all the cabins are!

Kim
I have done this for one of our cruises and will be doing it for the other this week. This is a BIG help to me.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
DCLInauguralXmas
Mouseketeer

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I feel much better about my job now! I hope you all have a magical day!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Belle4
Mouseketeer

48 cabins that is crazy insane!! I would need another suitcase for all the gifts. I chose not to participate on my upcoming cruise but now I am thinking I should. I am not crafty though so would need to buy everything which could get expensive.
Belle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by needAcruise View Post

I do realize that it is a personal thing, but I hate the assigned day idea. There is no way that I can even pretend to tell the group in advance what might be a good day for me, and the concept of someone else dictating that I have something that I must do on a certain day is not "vacation" to me.

I much prefer to deliver gifts when I have time and a space in my schedule. Sometimes I do it as my physical activity for that day (yeah, that's 6 times around the various decks to do all the deliveries!)

While I do realize that it is nice to get something every day, I just don't like one more "must do" thing on a given day.

DO set a "all gifts to be delivered by"....something like 4 pm on the last full day. People do need to pack, and this sets a clear expectation.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksloane
Quote:

Originally Posted by needAcruise

Be sure to ask your group about this one. I know we discussed it for one of our cruises and the consensus was that we didn't want to be tied to a particular day and instead preferred to just plan it around our own schedule when we had a break between excursions, activities, etc.
AGREED!! I really dont want to be told when to deliver as I have mobility issues and spread my deliveries out over time (a couple of days) as I feel up to it. This is especially important for me when the cabins are REALLY spread out and are on lots of different decks. I don't like the idea of being dictated to, that wouldn't work for me.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: