Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #46
Judyat
Mouseketeer

We went to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam a year ago this month. It was a wonderful trip. We did not have any special shots. We visited Bangkok, Siem Reap, Ho Chi min city, Hue, Hoi, Halong Bay and Hanoi. I can't imagine a trip to Southeast Asia without a visit to Hue and Halong Bay. If you're going in the summer it will be the rainy season and also very very hot. I love ABD trips especially our trip to Italy. I really have to question some of the activities on the Southeast Asia trip. There are so many wonderful things to see and do and frankly the ones they have picked would not be on my list. I also question the time of year. Going to Southeast Asia in summer when it's the wettest and the hottest is also not my idea of fun but if you can overlook that I'm sure the trips will be good. Ours was wonderful.
Judyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #47
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyat View Post
We went to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam a year ago this month. It was a wonderful trip. We did not have any special shots. We visited Bangkok, Siem Reap, Ho Chi min city, Hue, Hoi, Halong Bay and Hanoi. I can't imagine a trip to Southeast Asia without a visit to Hue and Halong Bay. If you're going in the summer it will be the rainy season and also very very hot. I love ABD trips especially our trip to Italy. I really have to question some of the activities on the Southeast Asia trip. There are so many wonderful things to see and do and frankly the ones they have picked would not be on my list. I also question the time of year. Going to Southeast Asia in summer when it's the wettest and the hottest is also not my idea of fun but if you can overlook that I'm sure the trips will be good. Ours was wonderful.
What activities did you really enjoy but did not see on the ABD itinerary? We've got some off time during the ABD and a few days before/after the ABD. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

From what I've read the lack of a tour on Halong Bay is my only disappointment, but in reality the 7 hrs travel time may be too much for my son anyway. ABD likely omitted Halong bay because of the tourist boat sinking in 2011. Who knows?

Actually this month, April, is typically the hottest of the year. It goes down a bit in June. Not that its much consolation, but its bit better than WDW in the summer. But it is the rainy season - no escaping that. I remember in an Amazing Race a couple yrs ago while in HCMC, the streets were flooded calf high. All part of the adventure

Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #48
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
What activities did you really enjoy but did not see on the ABD itinerary? We've got some off time during the ABD and a few days before/after the ABD. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

From what I've read the lack of a tour on Halong Bay is my only disappointment, but in reality the 7 hrs travel time may be too much for my son anyway. ABD likely omitted Halong bay because of the tourist boat sinking in 2011. Who knows?

Actually this month, April, is typically the hottest of the year. It goes down a bit in June. Not that its much consolation, but its bit better than WDW in the summer. But it is the rainy season - no escaping that. I remember in an Amazing Race a couple yrs ago while in HCMC, the streets were flooded calf high. All part of the adventure
I would be very careful and not wade on flooded streets, if it does happen.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #49
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
I would be very careful and not wade on flooded streets, if it does happen.
Fair point. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #50
ABD Whovians
Earning My Ears

We are on the 6/24 trip and really looking forward to it. Our girls will be 14 and 10. We are all very excited!

Now we just have to get those pesky visas sorted out...
ABD Whovians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #51
Judyat
Mouseketeer

If you take a look at the Gate 1 trip to Southeast Asia you will get an idea of the things we did. Some of the things we especially enjoyed was seeing Angor Wat at sunrise and then touring Angor Tom and going back to Angor Wat at sunset. It was magical. There were also several boat trips and dinners at local homes. The boat rides took us to floating villages and islands. We watched fishermen from our boats put out their nets and saw what they caught. An ox cart ride and fish massage were also fun. A pedicab ride in Hue and dinner at a local home in the Citadel. The water puppet show in Hanoi as well as the museum of ethnology in Hanoi and the Hanoi hilton where John Mccann was kept were eye openning as well the the Cu Chi tunnels outside Hoi chi min city. There were also many pagodas that were interesting. The list goes on and on but if you check the iternary and optional trips listed there you will get a better idea of what's available. Southeast Asia a wonderful place to visit and I would go back in a heartbeat. The hotels and meals were were great as were the people.
Judyat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: