Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #31
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckes View Post
Just called on 6/24 trip. 23 people on tour which is a nice number. Kids' ages are (2) 11 year olds, 12, 14, (2) 15 year olds & 16 so no really young ones. They advised me that we have to bring a pair of shoes that we would want to throw away after picking rice or else you have to put them in a plastic bag to get back through customs.
Ewwww! I can't imagine wanting to keep them under those conditions!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #32
abbyjt
Mouseketeer

I'm waiting, no phone call for us yet. Did they get any more specific than that? We all have water sandals that would be dry pretty quickly. Will they be too disgusting to want to keep? I swam with them in Greece. Of course, if flip flops can be worn, we can just get some $2.00 ones, but I doubt walking in the rice paddies can be done in flip flops.
We did get a call a month or so ago asking if anyone of us was over 250 lbs for the horseback riding. (we're not)

ABDs: Norway (9/14), Austria, Germany & Czech Republic (6/14); Peru (10/13); Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos (6/13); Italy (10/12); Greece (6/12); China (7/11); South Africa (6/09); Germany (6/08); Spain (6/07); London/Paris (6/06)
abbyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #33
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Thanks for posting this. Hadn't heard that about the shoes. I believe they're limiting the adventures to around 25 people due to limited rooms. Last time I checked ours had 20.

We got our Vietnamese Visas. I think we're all set. Picked up the lonely planet guide to see what we might want to do in and around Saigon before the ABD starts other than recuperating from the jet lag and flight.

Does anyone know if there are any required vaccinations for any of the countries?

Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #34
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I can hardly wait to read you guys' reports about this trip. It just sounds fascinating!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #35
MinionOfMaleficent
Earning My Ears

Shoes

I could be wrong, but I think the reason why you would want to throw your shoes away before going through US Customs is because they ask you if you've visited a farm on your vacation. If you say yes, they just take you to the side and spray some stuff on your shoes and run your bags through an extra scanner. It's to make sure you aren't bringing any foreign seeds or bugs back in with you. It does take a little longer but it's not a huge amount of time. I don't think you'd get that nasty visiting the rice paddies - I'm sure if you don't want to get muddy they won't make you!

Okay, back to lurking now
MinionOfMaleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #36
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

I would recommend boots. You really do not want to wade on farm water in Asia. Parasites are another concern. We studied these in college and when I read about it, hubby and I kinda squirmed at the idea of wading. One thing I wouldn't do unless I am sure the water will not touch my skin. Just my .02. So yes, I agree to using boots to throw away after wading through the rice paddies.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #37
deckes
deckes

I also believe the shoe issue has to do with bringing back something from the water, soil, etc. I am going to find out about vaccinations next week when I visit my dr. Going to NYC in a couple of weeks to get visas. Hard to believe it is almost only 3 months left until we go.
deckes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #38
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Had heard from someone who spoke to an ABD guide who said Iger himself got involved with the itinerary of this ABD. Early on Thailand was considered, but Iger wanted it to be more exotic. Who knows if that's true, but I thought it was interesting. Thailand would also be fun, but I'm very glad they went the way they did.

ABD Australia Jul 2015
Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #39
deckes
deckes

Just got our Visas from the NYC Consulate. Super easy to go there & give paperwork to & then they fed exed passports back to us. Talked to travel doctor yesterday. They are suggesting Hep A & B, Typhoid, Tetanus, malaria pills & possibly Japanese encephalitis if we are going near any kind of farm. Going to check with Disney on that one. Not sure how rural we will be in rice paddies.
deckes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckes View Post
Just got our Visas from the NYC Consulate. Super easy to go there & give paperwork to & then they fed exed passports back to us. Talked to travel doctor yesterday. They are suggesting Hep A & B, Typhoid, Tetanus, malaria pills & possibly Japanese encephalitis if we are going near any kind of farm. Going to check with Disney on that one. Not sure how rural we will be in rice paddies.
Let us know what ABD is recommending.

I would think they would have given out recommendations already if there was any real concern.

ABD Australia Jul 2015
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #41
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
Let us know what ABD is recommending.

I would think they would have given out recommendations already if there was any real concern.
I agree. Jap encephalitis vaccine is not even recommended for travelers staying less than 30 days. I don't think ABD will take us to restaurants with risk of catching Salmonella (typhoid). I'll be very careful about eating salads and make sure the chicken is well-cooked. Hep B is mainly an STD or by some unfortunate chance you get inoculated by it or bitten by someone who has one and you are not vaccinated, but you won't catch it walking down the streets of Asia. The scarier mosquito-borne disease which has no vaccine is dengue hemorrhagic fever. I probably will take all precaution to avoid mosquito bites, especially in the monsoon season.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #42
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
I agree. Jap encephalitis vaccine is not even recommended for travelers staying less than 30 days. I don't think ABD will take us to restaurants with risk of catching Salmonella (typhoid). I'll be very careful about eating salads and make sure the chicken is well-cooked. Hep B is mainly an STD or by some unfortunate chance you get inoculated by it or bitten by someone who has one and you are not vaccinated, but you won't catch it walking down the streets of Asia. The scarier mosquito-borne disease which has no vaccine is dengue hemorrhagic fever. I probably will take all precaution to avoid mosquito bites, especially in the monsoon season.
I'm anxious for all of you to report in about this trip...it's on our list ( which is quite long)

One caveat on Hep B- yes, it is a blood borne disease, and hopefully no one will ever need medical care abroad, but it's not a bad idea to have the vaccine if you travel frequently out of the country to developing nations where their medical establishments may not be as careful, Hep B can come from dirty needles or blood transfusions etc. As a matter of fact, it's been recommended for all infants in the US since the mid 90s. Most adults have missed that window, but it not a bad idea for you if you like to travel!

I agree about the Mosquitos, I would ( and have on many trips) take general mosquito precautions ( sleep with bed nets, cover up exposed skin in the ams and evenings even if its warm, use bug stuff, and use permethrin to wash outer clothing before departing) because there are other issues outside of malaria that have no preventative and you just truly want to avoid them!

Then I remember that all the places I've been that I took all these precautions, absolutely never did anyone have any kind of a scare, or problem or even on some trips ever so much as SEE a mosquito! So I always prepare, but have never had a worry once there!

Can't wait for your trip reports!
ABD Andean Highlands and Galapagos Islands 2012
Photo Review: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987674
WDW- visits since 1976, lost count a long time ago.
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #43
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Anyone planning a trip to Halong Bay before/during/after the ABD? I'd love to do that, but logistically it seems difficult.

ABD Australia Jul 2015
Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #44
abbyjt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
Anyone planning a trip to Halong Bay before/during/after the ABD? I'd love to do that, but logistically it seems difficult.
We have booked some sort of food tour on our pre day. You go on the back of mopeds with local girls. They pick you up at your hotel. It got great reviews on trip advisor and some other websites. We haven't planned our second pre day yet.

ABDs: Norway (9/14), Austria, Germany & Czech Republic (6/14); Peru (10/13); Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos (6/13); Italy (10/12); Greece (6/12); China (7/11); South Africa (6/09); Germany (6/08); Spain (6/07); London/Paris (6/06)
abbyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #45
sjlsk8r
Mouseketeer

We are planning a spa day for our pre day. We are also planning on going to Sihanoukville for two post days in Cambodia after. If anyone else had similar thoughts, the Sokha beach hotel is running a 40 percent off sale for the next 70 hours.
sjlsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: