Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #46
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
 
BecBennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 4,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
they are saying IPAD 3 is better to read with, clearer screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMUMOF4 View Post
I do find by having the brightness on the lowest setting makes a big difference.
It's the back light that kills your eyes, that's why the kindle is so good.
__________________
BecBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #47
5ofus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 942

Oh, that's interesting, I've never had a problem on my iPad, it's an iPad2, I wonder if that makes a difference? I have the lighting setting on about a 1/3 setting toward the lower end. I read for at least three hours a day - 1.5hrs at a time and don't have an issue. I even read without my reading glasses because I can't be bothered fishing the out of my bag on the train and bus - I know, I'm naughty.
__________________
Me and He , DS1 , DS2 and DS3 makes our family complete

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #48
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,498

DLR guide for Kindle/ipad

ok, now trying to find Disneyland guide for kindle..but they dont seem to have any...is this true????
or have I just missed the plot?
help me

Last edited by australiankaren; 05-27-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: because no isn't now
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #49
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran
 
Mum from oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 871

I agree with Karen,
Water for Elephants is a great, great story.
Happiest Refugee is also fantastic and funny, great story telling (although it is real)
I have read all three 50 Shades if Grey books since I left Sydney, finished book three on the flight to SF this morning. Lots of kinky sex but it gets old really quickly. The story was a love story thingo but I really liked it. I ended up skipping most of the "sex scenes" as it was all the same and the way to end each chapter. So trashy yes, but I love reading trash. (but I read them on Kindle so no one on the plane could tell ) Like Hunger Games,Twilight..... I read all the Gossip Girl novels way before they made a TV series. My younger sister put me onto them about 10 years ago.
__________________
2011 - WDW, US/IOA, Bahamas Dream Cruise, DL TR
2011 - HK Disney TR
2012 - WDW, Legoland, Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, SFO TR
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #50
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran
 
WAMUMOF4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,888

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
It's the back light that kills your eyes, that's why the kindle is so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post
Oh, that's interesting, I've never had a problem on my iPad, it's an iPad2, I wonder if that makes a difference? I have the lighting setting on about a 1/3 setting toward the lower end. I read for at least three hours a day - 1.5hrs at a time and don't have an issue. I even read without my reading glasses because I can't be bothered fishing the out of my bag on the train and bus - I know, I'm naughty.
I have the iPad2 and I always have he brightness setting on the lowest and I don't have an issue with it my problem is holding it the Kindle is so much lighter to hold but even so I don't think I will be spending the money on a new one.
__________________
Disneyland July 2010 Disneyworld August 2011
2012 Disneyland, DCL Magic, WDW, Disneyland
WAMUMOF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #51
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!
 
aussietravellers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?
Posts: 3,689

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
ok, now trying to find Disneyland guide for kindle..but they dont seem to have any...is this true????
or have I just missed the plot?
help me
No, I've been looking for ages and can't find the one I want. I like the Birnbaums guide. But even the unofficial guide is only available in the WDW edition not the DL edition. Maybe the new edition may come out on kindle
__________________
1975 - 1990 - Many Trips - Disneyland California - Disneyland Hotel
1995 - Walt Disney World - Yacht Club Resort
2004 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #52
alicia1506
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
No, I've been looking for ages and can't find the one I want. I like the Birnbaums guide. But even the unofficial guide is only available in the WDW edition not the DL edition. Maybe the new edition may come out on kindle
i had to purchase the birnbaums physical book from amazon as i couldn't find the kindle edition anywhere, so i got both the disneyland, wdw, and wdw food guide delivered to my front door. the disneyland one is a little out of date (obviously) as it was published last year and obviously doesn't incorporate any of the planned rehabs to cars land/princess fantasy faire etc but some of the little insider tips and especially the section on food/dining etc i found really informative, although they do push the staying onsite bit pretty hard, which i found a little offputting.

the wdw one is just amazing i highly recommend, but unfortunately i had to go old school and get the physical books although... good for reading on the bus to make going to work more appealing.
__________________


me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #53
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!
 
aussietravellers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?
Posts: 3,689

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
i had to purchase the birnbaums physical book from amazon as i couldn't find the kindle edition anywhere, so i got both the disneyland, wdw, and wdw food guide delivered to my front door. the disneyland one is a little out of date (obviously) as it was published last year and obviously doesn't incorporate any of the planned rehabs to cars land/princess fantasy faire etc but some of the little insider tips and especially the section on food/dining etc i found really informative, although they do push the staying onsite bit pretty hard, which i found a little offputting.

the wdw one is just amazing i highly recommend, but unfortunately i had to go old school and get the physical books although... good for reading on the bus to make going to work more appealing.
Alicia, whilst I love my kindle, get lots of books on it and lots of magazines on my ipad. I do still like the physical books. They new Birnbaums DL book comes out in Sept/Oct this year, I will be getting that and I always get the WDW one too (and I have the cruise and dining ones too). They have some coupons in them too which I like.

Pity the DL one is out of date! I hope the one due out later in the year will have current info for the new areas of DCA park
__________________
1975 - 1990 - Many Trips - Disneyland California - Disneyland Hotel
1995 - Walt Disney World - Yacht Club Resort
2004 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #54
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
Alicia, whilst I love my kindle, get lots of books on it and lots of magazines on my ipad. I do still like the physical books. They new Birnbaums DL book comes out in Sept/Oct this year, I will be getting that and I always get the WDW one too (and I have the cruise and dining ones too). They have some coupons in them too which I like.

Pity the DL one is out of date! I hope the one due out later in the year will have current info for the new areas of DCA park
oooohhhhhh..i'll order it and get it sent to the resort in sept...I do enjoy passporters guide to WDW as well.....just thought I'd try the DLR kindle edition if they had it....oh well
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #55
alicia1506
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
Alicia, whilst I love my kindle, get lots of books on it and lots of magazines on my ipad. I do still like the physical books. They new Birnbaums DL book comes out in Sept/Oct this year, I will be getting that and I always get the WDW one too (and I have the cruise and dining ones too). They have some coupons in them too which I like.

Pity the DL one is out of date! I hope the one due out later in the year will have current info for the new areas of DCA park
oh, i love the sensation of opening a new book, the smell of the paper and ink, the experience of simply turning the page...

but i was kinda hoping for the kindle version as it would be easier to take into the parks, and open for references etc. the physical version is slightly smaller than an a4 size, so it's a bit large for the purpose that i was hoping for... if that makes sense?
__________________


me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #56
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran
 
Aussie Wendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brisbane Qld
Posts: 1,386

If you don't mind young adult fantasy Aussie boy Garth Nix Abhorsen trilogy is brilliant. I also really like his Keys to the Kingdom series (7 books) but aimed at younger audience so you may find it too "young". Also in the young adult (just) fantasy is Isobel Carmody's Obernewtyn series though she takes years between books leaving you on cliff hangers which I find irritating but they are so good. Mortal Engines series is good (young adult again) Steam Punk and Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments does have vampires et al (sorry) but is way way better than Meyer's Twilight series (though her other adult book The Host is really good). Also Cassandra Clare is writing a prelude series to Mortal Instruments but set further back in time and has elements of steam punk style- Clockwork series (only 2 books out so far).

Then I will second Terry Pratchett, Terry Brooks, Raymond Feist, Julian May (especially Galactic Milleau which follows on from the the Saga of the Pliocene Exile), the Death Gate Cycle by Hickman and Weisman and His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman (a classic).

Bill Bryson-may be non fiction but I have never laughed so much-especially Down Under and Lost Continent-his description of long road trips with his dad when he was a child, and going round and round the outside of theme parks but never finding the entrance makes me cry its so funny.

Also Kerry Greenwood-I like the Phryne series currently "in" as its on TV but as always much better in the books with the detail, but we like even more her series about a baker turned sleuth set in Melbourne.

OK I'll stop now-we are a family rather obsessed with books and tend to visit locations in trips.
__________________
Disneyland 84, 89, 97; WDW Xmas 2008; DLR & NYC June 2011; TDR April 2012; DLP May 2013; WDW & USF/IOA Oct 2014
TR DLR, NY and more July 2011
TR Japan 2012
TR Exploration Europe 2013
TR Rides and Rocks 2014
Me DH DD:
Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #57
alicia1506
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy View Post
If you don't mind young adult fantasy Aussie boy Garth Nix Abhorsen trilogy is brilliant. I also really like his Keys to the Kingdom series (7 books) but aimed at younger audience so you may find it too "young". Also in the young adult (just) fantasy is Isobel Carmody's Obernewtyn series though she takes years between books leaving you on cliff hangers which I find irritating but they are so good. Mortal Engines series is good (young adult again) Steam Punk and Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments does have vampires et al (sorry) but is way way better than Meyer's Twilight series (though her other adult book The Host is really good). Also Cassandra Clare is writing a prelude series to Mortal Instruments but set further back in time and has elements of steam punk style- Clockwork series (only 2 books out so far).

Then I will second Terry Pratchett, Terry Brooks, Raymond Feist, Julian May (especially Galactic Milleau which follows on from the the Saga of the Pliocene Exile), the Death Gate Cycle by Hickman and Weisman and His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman (a classic).

Bill Bryson-may be non fiction but I have never laughed so much-especially Down Under and Lost Continent-his description of long road trips with his dad when he was a child, and going round and round the outside of theme parks but never finding the entrance makes me cry its so funny.

Also Kerry Greenwood-I like the Phryne series currently "in" as its on TV but as always much better in the books with the detail, but we like even more her series about a baker turned sleuth set in Melbourne.

OK I'll stop now-we are a family rather obsessed with books and tend to visit locations in trips.
omg, i adore garth nix and devoured the whole keys to the kingdom series. i thought it was inspired and amazing, and we still refer to it in everyday conversation...

thanks for the other recommendations too... have now got quite a list of new authors & series to check out
__________________


me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #58
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy View Post
If you don't mind young adult fantasy Aussie boy Garth Nix Abhorsen trilogy is brilliant. I also really like his Keys to the Kingdom series (7 books) but aimed at younger audience so you may find it too "young". Also in the young adult (just) fantasy is Isobel Carmody's Obernewtyn series though she takes years between books leaving you on cliff hangers which I find irritating but they are so good. Mortal Engines series is good (young adult again) Steam Punk and Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments does have vampires et al (sorry) but is way way better than Meyer's Twilight series (though her other adult book The Host is really good). Also Cassandra Clare is writing a prelude series to Mortal Instruments but set further back in time and has elements of steam punk style- Clockwork series (only 2 books out so far).

Then I will second Terry Pratchett, Terry Brooks, Raymond Feist, Julian May (especially Galactic Milleau which follows on from the the Saga of the Pliocene Exile), the Death Gate Cycle by Hickman and Weisman and His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman (a classic).

Bill Bryson-may be non fiction but I have never laughed so much-especially Down Under and Lost Continent-his description of long road trips with his dad when he was a child, and going round and round the outside of theme parks but never finding the entrance makes me cry its so funny.

Also Kerry Greenwood-I like the Phryne series currently "in" as its on TV but as always much better in the books with the detail, but we like even more her series about a baker turned sleuth set in Melbourne.

OK I'll stop now-we are a family rather obsessed with books and tend to visit locations in trips.
Kerry Greenwood...
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.