Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #1186
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

We got through and got the reservation we wanted. First time that has happened in four tries now. Was so nervous DH was going to get disconnected while the agent was reading the policies, he hadn't given her the credit card yet.

DH and I are going to Flying Fish Signature dinner on Nov. 1. I see that a couple of others were able to book that. Hope it is good!

We are huge fans of the French Regional lunches, but didn't book the Italian luncheon because DD and I are gluten intolerant. No pasta for us. Ditto with the dessert events, we don't eat much sugar.

DH will probably get a couple of extra courses at Flying Fish, but he won't mind!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #1187
starrysky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireland_nicole View Post
Tdc nala- not a stalker, but we will be at the same tequila lunch- looking forward to "meeting" you!
Same here, I was just thinking thats 4 of us now at the same event.

I hope everyone able to get at least one thing they wanted. Looks like Some of us were just lucky.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #1188
lulubelle
I am Miss Klutz Woman
We could seriously have a Pirate Party in there!
As far as pants go, we were not allowed to wear them

Well, I was a lazy-bones-jones and didn't call until 7 am west coast time. I only held for about 10 minutes before a very helpful CM picked me up.

I wanted the Tequila Lunch on 10/28 and got it.
I wanted the VIP Chef Tour on 10/31 and it is SOLD OUT.

I guess that's what I get for not getting up at 4 am.

At least the 5 deminars I wanted I got on Aug 10th.

I agree there has to be a better way.
I'm sure we will have a great time.

DH~You will forever be in my heart
lulubelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #1189
LouisianaDisneyFan
DVC Owner, DIS Stockholder, & all-around fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtommie View Post
We're doing PFTS with reserved seat on 10/27 also - was told we will be sharing a table (fine with me) - I don't think the WVL is worth the extra $100 given this new option...kinda surprised some people are still booking it.
Well, we unfortunately are not able to attend the F&W this year, so we won't be going to the WVL. I'm not sure if we would have chosen it or the reserved seating if we were booking, but we definitely did enjoy the WVL for the last few years. If you prefer mixed drinks, then the open bar with top shelf brands is a plus. Also, if you really enjoy the artisanal cheese presentation, that's nice too. The biggest differences I see are that the WVL gives you a private table with a specific wait staff assigned to your table, and you also receive a great gift bag and a specially engraved wine glass for each member of your party. We've always enjoyed the gifts. Another added bonus, though it's certainly not guaranteed, is that you can chat with some surprising folks in the WVL. Two years ago, we were seated by Joey Fatone and his wife, and last year, Robert Irvine stopped by our table to say hello.

Good luck to everyone in booking your events!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #1190
DISNEYDUET
Will sing for Mickey Bars and Dole Whips! Oh and extra DVC points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaDisneyFan View Post
Well, we unfortunately are not able to attend the F&W this year, so we won't be going to the WVL. I'm not sure if we would have chosen it or the reserved seating if we were booking, but we definitely did enjoy the WVL for the last few years. If you prefer mixed drinks, then the open bar with top shelf brands is a plus. Also, if you really enjoy the artisanal cheese presentation, that's nice too. The biggest differences I see are that the WVL gives you a private table with a specific wait staff assigned to your table, and you also receive a great gift bag and a specially engraved wine glass for each member of your party. We've always enjoyed the gifts. Another added bonus, though it's certainly not guaranteed, is that you can chat with some surprising folks in the WVL. Two years ago, we were seated by Joey Fatone and his wife, and last year, Robert Irvine stopped by our table to say hello.

Where is the WVL located in the space? It is easy to access all the sampling tables or is it off to the side? We are looking to do this becuase we are not doing anything else this trip. Thanks!!

DISNEYDUET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #1191
LouisianaDisneyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uromac View Post
FYI -

For those DVC members, Just called MS and got through at 9:am (while still on hold on the regular phone line for over 50 min.) and booked the Zimmern/Voltagio Healthy Dinner on Oct 19th @ 6:30pm with no problem within minutes of the DVC line opening! Also while waiting made reservations online for Senses Party for Oct 20th 7:30pm.

Hope this helps someone!
Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by LouisianaDisneyFan; 08-14-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Found info
LouisianaDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #1192
musicmantrs
Mouseketeer

A little OT from booking but on the wrist-band gift cards, does anyone know if you can load them with a normal Disney gift card? I've been loading up on GCs from Target for my walking around money but would like to take advantage of these.
Fort Wilderness Cabins - 1995, POP All Star Music - 2001, Contemporary - 2001, Off-site Disney World - 2003, Off-site Disneyland/DCA - 2004, Contemporary - 2005, Contemporary - 2008, Off-site Disneyland/DCA - 2011, Off-site Disney World - Mar. 2012, CBR - Nov. 2012
musicmantrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #1193
cdtommie
Beerman, DVC BWV/BCV/VWL/BLT, no steak, slushies or nuggets for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaDisneyFan View Post

It definitely was enjoyable the two times we did the WVL but we felt by trying to utilize all the WVL unique offerings we ended up missing a lot of the items at the stations...just too much of a good thing in too short a time and the price has really escalated - was $210 in year one when we did it two weeks in a row, now $270. Last year we skipped the party and did the V&A's Chef's table instead but with a more ahem, "reasonable" seating offering this year we are heading back.

We also did get to chat with Irvine during the 15 min advance window and I told him that if he didn't get this food plated right now he failed his mission...his staff was cracking up and he smirked at me.
cdtommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #1194
LouisianaDisneyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYDUET View Post
Where is the WVL located in the space? It is easy to access all the sampling tables or is it off to the side? We are looking to do this becuase we are not doing anything else this trip. Thanks!!
Last year, the WVL was sectioned off a bit toward the right of the room (as you face the stage) with food and wine selections to either side. You could enter and exit through ropes either direction to get to the outside serving tables. There were a few rows of general admission tables between the WVL and the stage. The set up was similar the year before, but last year worked better with crowd control. It seemed like there were less general admission tables available the year before, so we had lots of folks congregating and standing between us and the stage, so it was difficult to see. Last year, this was not a problem. Of course, this year, there are three levels of tickets... so I would guess that the WVL will be central, with the reserved seating making a semicircle around that and then non-reserved tables to the periphery or perhaps in that side room that has no view of the stage. We were stuck in that side room our first year at F&W (before any reserved seating was an option). My parents were with us that year and have mobility issues. I was really scared that they would be injured in the initial stampede for a table that year, so we opted for the safety of the side room! It looks like the reserved seating options have made it better for everyone. It seems like those folks who are truly aggressive about wanting "the best" tables can try to call early and reserve them (table location within the WVL is assigned by the time of your reservation) and there never seems to be a stampede for the peripheral spots.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #1195
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

Though not quite as bad, today and last Thursday reminded me and DW of 7-10 years ago calling to make CRT reservations for DD. 3 phones all dialing at 6:58, then listening to them on hold in stereo.

Ahhhhh, the good ol' days (NOT)...
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #1196
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubelle View Post
Well, I was a lazy-bones-jones and didn't call until 7 am west coast time. I only held for about 10 minutes before a very helpful CM picked me up.

I wanted the Tequila Lunch on 10/28 and got it.
I wanted the VIP Chef Tour on 10/31 and it is SOLD OUT.

I guess that's what I get for not getting up at 4 am.

At least the 5 deminars I wanted I got on Aug 10th.

I agree there has to be a better way.
I'm sure we will have a great time.
Keep watching on that chef tour.

I am not sure it's "sold out" as much as "we can't book it" Everything I have read has people saying they couldn't even book it so I wonder if "sold out" means "it won't let me book"
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #1197
LouisianaDisneyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtommie View Post
It definitely was enjoyable the two times we did the WVL but we felt by trying to utilize all the WVL unique offerings we ended up missing a lot of the items at the stations...just too much of a good thing in too short a time and the price has really escalated - was $210 in year one when we did it two weeks in a row, now $270. Last year we skipped the party and did the V&A's Chef's table instead but with a more ahem, "reasonable" seating offering this year we are heading back.

We also did get to chat with Irvine during the 15 min advance window and I told him that if he didn't get this food plated right now he failed his mission...his staff was cracking up and he smirked at me.
We used the "divide and conquer" strategy for the stations! With a specific wait staff, we just let our waiter know that we wanted to keep our food and wine on our table until we asked for it to be cleared. We first went to stations that had no wine offered, returned with the food, set it on the table and noted which station we had visited, and then headed out to another station (without eating). We did this until all of the stations without wine had been visited and samples were at our table. We also would grab samples from any station that offered a separate beverage glass (such as the beer stations). Finally, we each selected a different station that offered wine and went for samples with our wine glasses. With a WVL wristband, we found that the pours were a bit larger... and with so much food, we certainly were able to share the tastings without "wanting" for more. Additionally, we asked our waiter to bring us some glasses for water to somewhat clear our taste between bites, which he did. After the table was full with choices, we sat down and shared everything, making notes in our program about what we tasted. After we'd gone through all of those, we went the rest of the stations that offered wine, and the lines had diminished substantially at those locations because those folks were now in line for dessert (which was already sitting safely back at our table). This strategy worked out very well, and we were able to experience everything offered this way.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #1198
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmantrs View Post
A little OT from booking but on the wrist-band gift cards, does anyone know if you can load them with a normal Disney gift card? I've been loading up on GCs from Target for my walking around money but would like to take advantage of these.
You cannot transfer a gift card balance to another gift card.

I will not be doing the PFTS stampede or even trying to get a table. I will walk in after the stampede is over and get dessert first. Keegan Gerhard probably won't be too busy first thing. I am not worried about being unable to get food. The lines die down after awhile and you can grab whatever you want.

This year you may have to push a little harder, have a cooperative CM (like mine was, he went back and looked again when he couldn't find the Via Napoli beer pairing) or check back with someone else when the frenzy dies down. A number of the non-celebrity events may still be there.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #1199
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
You cannot transfer a gift card balance to another gift card.

I will not be doing the PFTS stampede or even trying to get a table. I will walk in after the stampede and get dessert first. Keegan Gerhard probably won't be too busy first thing.
Well.....

I have transferred Amex gift cards to Disney Gift cards by using the Amex card to buy the Disney card. I wonder if you could buy a "visa" gift card at Target and do that.

But, it's a risk. It's been a while since I bought the Disney gift card with the Amex so.....
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #1200
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Well.....

I have transferred Amex gift cards to Disney Gift cards by using the Amex card to buy the Disney card. I wonder if you could buy a "visa" gift card at Target and do that.

But, it's a risk. It's been a while since I bought the Disney gift card with the Amex so.....
I'm talking specifically about the Disney gift cards. If you already have a Disney gift card, you can't use it to fill another Disney gift card. This came up a lot last year, because those who had purchased Disney gift cards as part of a bonus program at home wanted to transfer them to the wristbanded cards.

What I am not sure about is if you can transfer to a gift card from a KTTW account. If you can do that, use your KTTW card to fill the wristband gift card, and then use the other gift cards to pay off the KTTW at the resort. All I've ever used is a credit card so I'm not sure.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: