Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #676
LMO429
DIS Veteran

In your opinion is the 3d dessert discovery worth it? I did the illuminations dessert grand gathering when they offered that a couple of years back is it similiar?

LMO429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #677
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

It's worth doing once.

I'm pretty sure it's not all that similar to the Grand Gathering. In that one, the desserts were served outside in a private roped off viewing area, so you ate in the same place you watched the fireworks. For this one, everything is served inside and you are then walked to a roped off area (standing room only, no seats).
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #678
raraavis
Mouseketeer

i also have a question about 3d desserts: did anyone else notice the conflicting information on the disney website?

at http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/din...t-discoveries/, it says the sweet seats are an extra $25 and includes:
A private, reserved table
Entrance into World ShowPlace Pavilion 15 minutes before general admission.
A specialty beverage
A unique dessert offering

however, at http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/par...-events/sweet/, it says the upgrade is $30 more and includes:
"Your upgrade includes a private reserved table, entrance into World ShowPlace 15 minutes before general admission, a specialty beverage, a unique dessert offering and more."

i found this discrepancy when i was trying to find out what the "and more" in the second description meant. does anyone know which one is accurate? or what the "and more" would include?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #679
AJW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I was forwarded info by someone about the booking dates.

So apparently you can book deminars on August 10 by phone only if you are TIW, DVC or AP. The website doesn't go live for anything until the 14th. It also appears that if you're going to book as a DVC member you have to call Member Services, which doesn't open until 9.

This also says that PFTS will be bookable online only for general admission, it appears if you want the assigned seating options you will need to call. Looks like the same goes for 3D Dessert - call for the Sweet Seats.

Putting this in the first post.
Great info! Thank you!
AJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #680
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raraavis View Post
i also have a question about 3d desserts: did anyone else notice the conflicting information on the disney website?

at http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/din...t-discoveries/, it says the sweet seats are an extra $25 and includes:
A private, reserved table
Entrance into World ShowPlace Pavilion 15 minutes before general admission.
A specialty beverage
A unique dessert offering

however, at http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/par...-events/sweet/, it says the upgrade is $30 more and includes:
"Your upgrade includes a private reserved table, entrance into World ShowPlace 15 minutes before general admission, a specialty beverage, a unique dessert offering and more."

i found this discrepancy when i was trying to find out what the "and more" in the second description meant. does anyone know which one is accurate? or what the "and more" would include?
$30 is this year's price. $25 is last year's price. I am guessing the first one you quoted is last year's info, not this year's. And no, not even the published brochure sent to TIW members clarifies the "and more."
Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #681
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hope they know what they are doing. I agree with BGK that one of the main reasons they began charging for the deminars was crowd control. If they don't require buying a bottle then it won't matter how much they frown, there will be crowds who just want the free stuff.
I think that charging was such a good idea. It eliminated the group that thought the whole purpose was to "get drunk on Disney for free" If you have been going a while you remember them... sit down, drink wine twice as fast as the presenter was going, jump up and run around to get back in line. One seminar the "host" didn't even bother to introduce the presenter since "all of you have been here all day" Since it was my first seminar and I was clueless about the presenter I was pretty shocked at this total lack of professional behavior!

And that was better then one of the first years I went when the 'locals' just camped. They didn't make them leave so they just stayed from wine seminar to wine seminar.....meaning that after you stood in line (in the sun) for a seminar that was suppose to seat 50 or so you didn't get in because since they didn't make folks leave only 25 people could get in!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #682
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Do the weekday seminars often sell out? I won't be activating my AP till October 12th and would like to save a few $$. Not sure if I should book right away or wait till we get there.
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #683
LillsnJills
Mouseketeer

I've just realized that F&W starts the day that we head home from our trip, so we'll of course be missing out on most of the fun - but maybe not all of it. Our flight home doesn't leave until almost 7pm, and we had planned to just hang out at AK since we're staying at AKL. But now I'm thinking it'd be better to just head over to EPCOT and wander around the booths. I know the seminars and special events cost extra on top of the park admission, but what about just going around to the various booths? Obviously there's a charge for whatever you want to eat/drink, but is there and extra price to just BE there?

LillsnJills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #684
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

DH said he wants to just *play it by ear*. Like the whole festival. I have spent countless hours researching and honestly, have lost a little sleep. I've got 2 days to talk some sense into him.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #685
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillsnJills View Post
I've just realized that F&W starts the day that we head home from our trip, so we'll of course be missing out on most of the fun - but maybe not all of it. Our flight home doesn't leave until almost 7pm, and we had planned to just hang out at AK since we're staying at AKL. But now I'm thinking it'd be better to just head over to EPCOT and wander around the booths. I know the seminars and special events cost extra on top of the park admission, but what about just going around to the various booths? Obviously there's a charge for whatever you want to eat/drink, but is there and extra price to just BE there?
They usually have a "soft" opening on the Thursday before the official start. No lines at the booths!

Jill in CO
Old 08-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #686
LillsnJills
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
They usually have a "soft" opening on the Thursday before the official start. No lines at the booths!
Thursday we'll be spending the day at DTD, capping it off with La Nouba, so while that sounds awesome, it's not doable with our schedule But thanks for the heads up! Will keep that in mind for next time - though my partner is already making noise about wanting the "next time" to be at the holidays.

LillsnJills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #687
raraavis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
$30 is this year's price. $25 is last year's price. I am guessing the first one you quoted is last year's info, not this year's. And no, not even the published brochure sent to TIW members clarifies the "and more."
thank you! i was thinking it might be last year's info, but i thought it was weird that disney didn't update their site.

if someone ever does find out what the "and more" is, please let me know! i'm trying to convince dh to upgrade, but i need to prove it's worth the $30! thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #688
Carmen NC
Mouseketeer

Low Cost Seminars - Mixology and Chef Demos

Last year they released the schedule like the day before AP and DVC members could make reservations. Is that going to happen this year? Sorry if this has been posted already but there are 45 pages of posts already.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #689
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen NC View Post
Last year they released the schedule like the day before AP and DVC members could make reservations. Is that going to happen this year? Sorry if this has been posted already but there are 45 pages of posts already.
If we are lucky. If not I guess we have 2 options

1. Just pick a time and give Disney money. (probably would work. Seems to with a lot of Disney offerings)
2. Spend a LONG TIME on the phone while the CM tells ya the options.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #690
bsbrady
Disney Veteran

I did this 2 years ago. It was awesome. Well worth it. There are so many deserts and drinks that you can try, plus the vip viewing of illuminations. Also the VIP is $85, the regular price is $55

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: