Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #376
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

PFTS had themes only once, in 2009. It didn't go over well and they haven't done it since.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #377
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
PFTS had themes only once, in 2009. It didn't go over well and they haven't done it since.
That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks!
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #378
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
For the Festival Center seminars only. Not for the events.

Can you explain the difference? We're possibly intered in seeing the Cake Boss but only if it's for all ages. I don't the difference between an event and a seminar.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #379
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Sat down with DBF last night and figured out a way to fit one of the Italian regional lunches into our October plans! I'll take any and all pixie dust anyone wants to send my way to help me nab one of those slots at 7 a.m. on August 14! Only 75 days left until my trip.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #380
goodferry
DIS Veteran

An event is one of the larger parts of the festival, for example Buddy appeared last year at one of the Sweet Sundays, a brunch with several dessert preparation demonstrations. Cost last year was $80 per person.
There are also seminars during the day when a chef will prepare one dish, I think they are in the $12 range and Buddy did do one of those last year also. As far as bringing kids I am of no help, we leave ours home for Food and Wine.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #381
marinadca
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
AMEN! This is why I took a few years off. Got tired of the "Rude" who "owned" those tables.

(And for the party I went to Disney "suits" did explain to the "rude" that "you have to share the tables' but who wants to go deal with "I'ma Jerk" as your table mate? )

I am only going if I can get a reserved table. Was going to risk it last year without one but.. then they wouldn't sell me a ticket.

I will be going solo so I don't have anyone to "defend" my space LOL!
Yes, much better to have a space to sit without the animosity. Have fun!!!

marinadca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #382
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Can you explain the difference? We're possibly intered in seeing the Cake Boss but only if it's for all ages. I don't the difference between an event and a seminar.
The Cake Boss would definitely be fine for your kids. If you did the Sweet Sundays, they would serve you and your DH sparkling beverages while the kids had something non-alcoholic. The main ones that aren't really for kids are PFTS, and other alcohol heavy events like the Grand Mariner, Tequila or Sake tastings. The special wine dinners would probably not be kid friendly only that most people wouldn't want to pay $150-$500pp for a kid to dine!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #383
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
As far as the Cake Boss appearing last year:

He did a seminar. They are 45 minutes in length, he prepares one item and the guests get a small taste of it with a small wine pairing. Cost $13.

He also did a Sweet Sunday. This is an event about two hours in length, including a buffet breakfast, in which he prepared three dessert items and servings of these were supplied to the guests. Been awhile since I did a Sweet Sunday but prosecco was served and you could get it refilled. Cost $90.

The above were both held in the Festival Center but are very different presentations. Also, the seminars and the ticketed events are listed separately, and have separate booking procedures. Last year you could book seminars online but you had to call for events (except the PFTS and the 3D dessert party which could be booked online)

If you want to bring children, be aware that they must have a ticket, and it will be full price, anyone under 21 will not be served alcohol but at times the only alternative beverage available will be water. The Sweet Sunday is probably one of the better ones for kids, but you may want them to be old enough and interested enough that they will sit for a two-hour presentation. I do not know if they can get a substitute beverage, there may have been some with the buffet.

You should also be aware that Valastro's sessions last year sold out - and quickly. You should definitely plan on booking as soon as possible if you want one. The schedules aren't out yet, so if you already have a trip booked you may not be able to tell if he'll be there while you are yet.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 07-20-2012 at 11:42 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #384
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Cake Boss

I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping Buddy will be there during my trip to F&W (10/3-10/9). I might re-arrange all of my plans just to attend his events! (Baking is one of my passions) I planned on Sunday being an Epcot day and might check out Sweet Sundays this year. If anyone has more comments/reviews of this event I would love to hear. I am also on the DXDP and have Kona Cafe booked for that morning ( Believe it or not, I have never tried Tonga Toast!). So I def have to move that ressie if I can get into the Sweet Sunday event.

I would also like to see Jaime Dean (although Paula would be better lol)

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #385
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

I have a friend who lives in Savannah and has seen all 3 Deen's lead demos. She says if you get a chance go with Jamie, that he's the BEST of them by far. She loves Paula, but says her demos are more about "gossip" then demo LOL!

That said, Deluxe DDP during Food & Wine... WOW! I assume you don't plan to spend much time on the food booths. I honestly don't even book meals during Food & Wine because with the "Grazing" I am just not that hungry!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #386
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Here is a review of Buddy Valastro's seminar (the 45 minute one) from last year.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/1...wine-festival/

Deluxe Dining, 2 snacks a night, you can use those on the booths as long as you aren't too full from all the restaurants.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #387
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
That said, Deluxe DDP during Food & Wine... WOW! I assume you don't plan to spend much time on the food booths. I honestly don't even book meals during Food & Wine because with the "Grazing" I am just not that hungry!
I struggled with whether or not to get DxDP. We got free dining on our package and I upgraded to DxDP ( so its only $38/night). My boyfriend and I are not quick service diners at all...we likto sit down and have a nice meal (breakfast and dinner most importantly) This year we are planning on doing a whole day of drinking/eating around the world where we will use our snack credits that day at the booths. I have one more day planned for Epcot before Universal in the evening. This year we are attending MNSSHP and Halloween Horror Nights (at Universal) in place of PFTS.

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #388
simplestar
Earning My Ears

Preview day?

Hi! I read through a lot of the thread but didn't see an answer to this - so forgive me if I overlooked it. Does anyone know if Disney will be doing a "preview" day/ soft opening of the food and wine festival on September 27? (the day before the festival officially opens?) That is our last day in the parks and we are planning on going to Epcot anyway. We were fortunate enough to stumble into that by accident in 2010 and had a blast eating our way around the world - we are thinking of adding the dining plan this time and using some of our snack credits there if they will have the preview again. Not everywhere was open the day before in 2010, but most were. Is this something they do every year? Thanks in advance for any info!!
simplestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #389
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplestar View Post
Hi! I read through a lot of the thread but didn't see an answer to this - so forgive me if I overlooked it. Does anyone know if Disney will be doing a "preview" day/ soft opening of the food and wine festival on September 27? (the day before the festival officially opens?) That is our last day in the parks and we are planning on going to Epcot anyway. We were fortunate enough to stumble into that by accident in 2010 and had a blast eating our way around the world - we are thinking of adding the dining plan this time and using some of our snack credits there if they will have the preview again. Not everywhere was open the day before in 2010, but most were. Is this something they do every year? Thanks in advance for any info!!
This is billed as a "cast preview" so they will not announce it publicly. But yes, they do it every year on the Thursday before opening, and you don't have to be cast to buy items at the booths.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #390
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
The Cake Boss would definitely be fine for your kids. If you did the Sweet Sundays, they would serve you and your DH sparkling beverages while the kids had something non-alcoholic. The main ones that aren't really for kids are PFTS, and other alcohol heavy events like the Grand Mariner, Tequila or Sake tastings. The special wine dinners would probably not be kid friendly only that most people wouldn't want to pay $150-$500pp for a kid to dine!
Thanks Alison. No way would I pay $150 for the kids. Ever.

Quote:
As far as the Cake Boss appearing last year:

He did a seminar. They are 45 minutes in length, he prepares one item and the guests get a small taste of it with a small wine pairing. Cost $13.

He also did a Sweet Sunday. This is an event about two hours in length, including a buffet breakfast, in which he prepared three dessert items and servings of these were supplied to the guests. Been awhile since I did a Sweet Sunday but prosecco was served and you could get it refilled. Cost $90.

The above were both held in the Festival Center but are very different presentations. Also, the seminars and the ticketed events are listed separately, and have separate booking procedures. Last year you could book seminars online but you had to call for events (except the PFTS and the 3D dessert party which could be booked online)

If you want to bring children, be aware that they must have a ticket, and it will be full price, anyone under 21 will not be served alcohol but at times the only alternative beverage available will be water. The Sweet Sunday is probably one of the better ones for kids, but you may want them to be old enough and interested enough that they will sit for a two-hour presentation. I do not know if they can get a substitute beverage, there may have been some with the buffet.

You should also be aware that Valastro's sessions last year sold out - and quickly. You should definitely plan on booking as soon as possible if you want one. The schedules aren't out yet, so if you already have a trip booked you may not be able to tell if he'll be there while you are yet.

I'd be all over the $13 seminar. It's DS that's the huge Buddy fan so even at $90, I'd send him and DH. I'll be stalking here to see when the dates are released. Our trip is all booked and paid for. We arrive 10/13 and depart 10/24 so we'll have 2 Sundays to maybe get lucky. Do they do the seminars during the week too?

Quote:
Here is a review of Buddy Valastro's seminar (the 45 minute one) from last year.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/1...wine-festival/

Thanks, I'm going to read it right now.

Who would have thought a simple F&W festival would take so much research? I am so glad DH and the kids nixed the whole Universal idea. There's no way I could figure that out too.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: