Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #316
B'rer Karen
DIS Veteran
A trip to the world isn't complete without a Dole Whip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
If it doesn't have the date on it, maybe they can sell them next year instead of sending everything to the outlet.
That's what I assumed was the reason, but then we are getting new merchandise this year, which is a good thing. So maybe they just want to keep their options open. But I still don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bek View Post
Take another look at the very bottom of the pins. They do have 2012 on them. I definitely want one with Mickey in the Cranberries.
Yes, I should have mentioned that I know the pins have the date on them, but I don't care about pins. I'm not a pin collector. I do think it is good they put the date on those because pins are mainly for collecting and dating them makes them more collectable and more unique.

WDW:Offsite '85, Offsite '90, Offsite '96, DI '00, DI '01, S/D Nov. '01, POR Sept. '02, CBR Mar. '03, S/D June '03, CBR Sept. '03, CBR Oct. '03, OKW Feb. '04, SSR/OKW Oct. '04, OKW Mar. '05, SSR Sept. '05, SSR Oct. '06, SSR Mar. '07, SSR Oct. '07, SSR Oct. '08, SSR Oct. '09, AKV Feb. '10, BCV Oct. '10, AKV Feb. '11, BCV Oct.' 11, VWL Feb. '12, BCV Oct. '12, AKV Feb. '13, BCV Oct' 13, AKV Feb. '14
DL: May '00, Mar. '06
B'rer Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #317
karrit2000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'rer Karen View Post
I was just looking at the merchandise on the Disney Food blog, and I like it in general. However, why oh why do they not want to put the date on the merchandise anymore? At least the bottle of wine in the festival artwork has a 2012 vintage label, so if you buy anything with that artwork you'll have the date. But I miss the days when everything had the year on it. I actually asked a CM about that last year and she said something to the effect of "I don't know why they don't but they never had." I corrected her and let her know I had been to the festival for many years and I have merchandise from many years with the date on it. This is something new they've just started in the past few years, and I don't like it.
I agree that some of the merchandise should have dates on it for those that want a dated souvenir. However they commission artists to come up with special artwork that when they date it they can only sell it at full price for the duration of the event. After that they either have to discount it or destroy it. I've pretty much stopped purchasing dated items myself. Some of the special items are nice enough that people want to purchase them as gifts for friends & relatives to whom the dates are meaningless. I know personally I wouldn't want to receive an item as a gift from someone that had the dates of an event they attended but I didn't. For this reason I think it's better that they don't have dates on too many of the items they offer for sale.

I am a fan of Noah's work so I may actually end up buying something this year because most of his regular Disney artwork is out of my price range. I really haven't cared for most of the stuff they've been selling the past several years, especially the rotund chef artwork items.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #318
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Finally went and looked at the merchandise.

From the posts on here I expected a lot more Duffy.....

The pins are cute (And actully Duffy in the Chef outfit it cute too!)

I generally buy a pin every year so will get at least one or two. Plus wine glasses....And they don't destroy this stuff.. it goes to an outlet. Come spring there's the Food & Wine stuff. (the week of July 4th I bought Marathon weekend stuff LOL!)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #319
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
We hand over money knowing VERY little about what we are getting from them. As a result, they don't feel a need to 'sell" in advance.
This often happens for events with a lot of "external" participation---it's hard to line up everything that far in advance, because many of the outside people do not firm their calendars up until later. The same thing used to happen with the ESPN The Weekend Schedule, and Flower & Garden has a bit of this too. Just par for the course---and ESPN was probably the worst one in terms of how late information came out.

But, as for Duffy---I'm going to need an insulin bolus, I think!
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #320
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Come spring there's the Food & Wine stuff. (the week of July 4th I bought Marathon weekend stuff LOL!)
Hey I was there July 5. I got February 29th stuff and one of those Epcot world showcase drinks tee shirts that some executive supposedly pulled out of the park because they thought it was not appropriate. They had Flower and Garden stuff too. So if you want reduced festival items and can get to the outlet...visit in the spring.
The last weekend of the festival, they will mark down the Festival-specific items that are still available in the park. Except the Duffy. I think he was still thirty bucks. Saw lots of marked down, pre-dressed Duffies at the outlet so he may make it there at some point, for the Duffy fans.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #321
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Both of them?

(/ducks)
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #322
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
Question for the pros-

We are planning to go Oct 4 -7 and want to stay at a Value resort this year.

Which one is best Disney transportation wise?

I know Pop is closer, but is the bus any quicker? Is it shared with any other resorts?

If we go with the All Stars, which ones is best transportation wise?

So many decisions to make - and 3D dates haven't even been released yet!

Thanks!
Pop! It doesn't share a bus route with any other resorts, even AoA. However, since it is such a big resort the buses fill up kind of fast, but that's it!
June 2013: DisneyLand with my family & sister's family!
December 2014: 1st Cruise (Dream) with WDW stay at AKL
Andrea464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #323
raraavis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneth79 View Post
For #1: When you get a dining plan, you get a total number of dining credits, be they Table, Quick Service, or Snack. Let's say you're there for three nights, and you get one snack credit per night of stay... that means you have 3 snack credits. You can use them however you life... either all on your first, last, or any day in between. Another thing to note is that it is per reservation, so if you have two adults that's 6 credits, to use however you like.

As for #2.... do you want the humanly possible (maybe....) or the safe answer? Even outside of F&W, it's hard to drink around the world in one visit. The only time we ever did it we took a full day and shared drinks. With all the added booths, I'd say not only is it pretty difficult, it's downright dangerous to try.
thanks for the clarification about dining credits!

i've done drinking around the world previously and had no problem. we were done with the whole park (including drinking around the world) about 6-7 hours. it was probably easier to do because it was raining really badly that day and was pretty empty. thanks for the advice though!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #324
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Hey I was there July 5. I got February 29th stuff and one of those Epcot world showcase drinks tee shirts that some executive supposedly pulled out of the park because they thought it was not appropriate. They had Flower and Garden stuff too. So if you want reduced festival items and can get to the outlet...visit in the spring.
The last weekend of the festival, they will mark down the Festival-specific items that are still available in the park.
You can also check disneystore.com after the festival is over. Last year, I purchased several F&W t-shirts at a discount.

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #325
raraavis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrrby View Post
We're thinking of going in the same time frame since it's my fall break. Our "Home" resort is All Star Sports. We haven't gone in October before, but in peak times we've rarely shared buses because Sports could fill up a bus on its own. We're waiting on the discounts though. Military, AP or GP rates have to be coming out soon.
i was just on the phone yesterday with disney, asking about the dining promotion, and the rep told me he expects them to extend the military salutes package. he says they did it last year, so it thinks it will happen again. he said maybe they will announce it in the beginning of september. not sure if that was the military discount you were talking about though.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #326
Harlemgirl720
DIS Veteran

I'm getting excited! My first F&W experience. Gals trip. No kids. Taking them in a few weeks. October 3-8th. 3 nights at Kidani and 2 at OKW.

Harlemgirl720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #327
Arynrm1
Mouseketeer

Love the merch! I'm going for the last 3 days of the festival so i don't have high hopes for much.
I would love a vinyl and the spoon rest and wine glasses of course!! I think I have to have the Mickey pin as well, I can't wait to see the cranberry bog.

I am hoping to do a few deminars, My DD is 13 and loves to cook and watches the Food Network all the time. So we are going and leaving the boys to the hotel or other rides. I really hope they let me have her wine, she doesn't want it after all

Anyday now Disney! We need schedules (I need a smilie of a tapping foot)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #328
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but it looks like the Swan/Dolphin Classic website has been updated with the food and drink offerings for both nights this year's event.

http://www.swandolphinfoodandwineclassic.com/index.html

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #329
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
Don't know if it's been posted yet, but it looks like the Swan/Dolphin Classic website has been updated with the food and drink offerings for both nights this year's event.

http://www.swandolphinfoodandwineclassic.com/index.html
Looks great. I May have to sign up for a few seminars
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #330
EvilQueenT
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to go again this year. My daughter has been making this her annual birthday trip (she's turning 23). I was really hoping the guest chef's etc... would be released before the end of my next vaca but it got moved up to this weekend so i'll take it and hopefully book a bounce back for food and wine time
EvilQueenT is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: