Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #1576
kaguilbeau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bungle View Post
I didn't see anything about making reservations or buying tickets for it so can anyone help me out? Is it a first come first served deal?

"Discussions with Bethenny Frankel, Skinnygirl®, Hosted by Beam Inc. – NEW: Bethenny Frankel—popular television personality and founder of Skinnygirl® beverages—hosts a 30-minute talk show-style seminar where she explains how she developed her unique, low-calorie adult beverage products, and her years spent creating healthy dishes in the kitchen. Saturday, November 3 at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m."

I found the following information on disneyworld.dining.go.com

Guests enjoy a variety of culinary experiences at little to no extra cost—only available during Epcot International Food & Wine Festival, September 28 through November 12, 2012.

These events, seminars and demonstrations can be found at the Festival Center at Epcot Theme Park, unless otherwise indicated.

This was where it listed your particular event. Further down it listed events that have an additional charge.

I also found on easywdw.com a photo journal of the Festival Center. He commented that even though the seats for a showing might be full, that you can stand in the back and still see. From the pictures, it looked like a partitioned off area with tables and chairs, that sort of created a room.

kaguilbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #1577
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985
I just read something on the Disney blog about Ghirardelli drinking chocolate!?? OMG that sounds ah-mazing!

Where is this located? In the Festival Welcome Center? Is it free?
Yes, at the welcome center they have a new display and no its not free sorry

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #1578
hardybuz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthawb View Post
Can anyone give us some planning advice. We are headed to Epcot next Sunday with our 2 kids (age almost 3 and 6.5). Is the festival atmosphere ok for the kids? ........ It's not crazy drunken bacchanal right (and I say this as someone who plans to have a drink)?
I just got back from the opening weekend, and sadly can say this was first time I've ever been in a Disney park that was teeming with people acting like loud, drunken jerks. I'm from New Orleans, so am pretty used to seeing this kind of behavior during Mardi Gras, but seeing it at Disney totally took me by surprise. People were tripping over strollers, pushing little kids out of their way, and, as others have mentioned, wearing shirts that said, "Drunk 1" and "Drunk 2"- totally not the Disney family atmosphere, imo. I didn't even bring my kids, and I still left the park four hours early (despite really wanting to see the fireworks) just to get away. Sorry, but as much as I love, love, love Disney, and have been going regularly for 37 years, this was my first and last Food and Wine Festival.

However, since I'm not a regular Festival-goer, maybe my experience was because it was the opening weekend, and your weekend will be much less crowded. I can say that if you want to stay away from the flat-out drunk folks, just avoid the food booths entirely- or maybe have one parent get food at the booths and have the other parent wait with the kids at a quiet spot in each pavilion, since the heaviest and loudest crowds were on the footpath around the lake. Hope that helps!
hardybuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #1579
kthawb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardybuz

I just got back from the opening weekend, and sadly can say this was first time I've ever been in a Disney park that was teeming with people acting like loud, drunken jerks. I'm from New Orleans, so am pretty used to seeing this kind of behavior during Mardi Gras, but seeing it at Disney totally took me by surprise. People were tripping over strollers, pushing little kids out of their way, and, as others have mentioned, wearing shirts that said, "Drunk 1" and "Drunk 2"- totally not the Disney family atmosphere, imo. I didn't even bring my kids, and I still left the park four hours early (despite really wanting to see the fireworks) just to get away. Sorry, but as much as I love, love, love Disney, and have been going regularly for 37 years, this was my first and last Food and Wine Festival.

However, since I'm not a regular Festival-goer, maybe my experience was because it was the opening weekend, and your weekend will be much less crowded. I can say that if you want to stay away from the flat-out drunk folks, just avoid the food booths entirely- or maybe have one parent get food at the booths and have the other parent wait with the kids at a quiet spot in each pavilion, since the heaviest and loudest crowds were on the footpath around the lake. Hope that helps!
Ugh. This was what I was fearing. Unfortunately we are only there over the weekend so a weekday isn't an option. However we are early risers and have a breakfast scheduled at akershus so we will be out early. We will probably be headed home by 5-5:30 so maybe we'll miss the worst of it? The phineas and ferb phone "spy" game was my sons favorite thing last time we came (when it was kimpossible) so I know he is going to want to do it.
kthawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #1580
DISNEYDUET
Will sing for Mickey Bars and Dole Whips! Oh and extra DVC points!

Quote:
Ugh. This was what I was fearing. Unfortunately we are only there over the weekend so a weekday isn't an option. However we are early risers and have a breakfast scheduled at akershus so we will be out early. We will probably be headed home by 5-5:30 so maybe we'll miss the worst of it? The phineas and ferb phone "spy" game was my sons favorite thing last time we came (when it was kimpossible) so I know he is going to want to do it.
I think you should be fine. This past weekend was also the Tower of Terror 10mile race so that brought in A LOT of people that wouldn't normally be there. The key to traveling during this event is to arrive early, have a plan and be patient.

DISNEYDUET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #1581
hardybuz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We will probably be headed home by 5-5:30 so maybe we'll miss the worst of it? The phineas and ferb phone "spy" game was my sons favorite thing last time we came (when it was kimpossible) so I know he is going to want to do it.
I think that's a good plan. We left around that time, too. We prioritized which food booths we really wanted to try, and got them done within the first hour and a half, because the lines got long very quickly. Then we went back and explored the interior of the pavilions, where it wasn't as crowded. I loved watching the kids that were there playing the Phineas and Ferb game! I kind of wished I had done it, too!

Anyway, the really drunken behavior with the crowds didn't get too bad until around 2pm, and sort of deteriorated from there. So maybe if you get your food booth trips done early, then just take your time with the kid cot stops and the P&F game, it'll be just fine. Hope you have a great trip!
hardybuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #1582
coup2516
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Later on the weekends you will get the local college kids coming over for F&W. I have read some pretty incredible things about them. We were there last year and went to F&W on a Saturday night. It didn't really bother us but we are in our 20s. I can see how it would affect others. I definitely wouldn't recommend bringing children during those times. We will probably steer clear of F&W most of the weekend we are there this year.
VGF/SSR 10/13
coup2516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #1583
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardybuz View Post

I was there this weekend... and honestly didn't see anything. I saw the shirts, but those folks were sober when I saw them so no big deal. Not sure what you saw but at 4 PM there were not many "flat out drunks' based on what I saw. (And I was not drinking as I was doing the race later that evening so I couldn't drink so it's not like I was drunk and couldn't tell the difference LOL!) Not to mention that on both Friday and Sunday we all spent a long time "hiding" from the rain with the booths closed (cuts down on the eating and drinking)

Now it was INCREDIBLY crowded. And of course there are always folks acting out (Of course some of them are 8 so .... YMMV) In a crowd things get more magnifed (includng the bratty kid on the wheeled shoes who ran into me and whose mom got told off LOL!)

Now my reviews from the food I did try between Thur evening and Sunday evening.

Mexico - Crispy Shrimp Taco 4 to 5 stars. Really liked this one
Poland - Kielbasa and Potato Pierogie 5 stars. This is one of my favs every year
Poland - Belvedere Frozen Lemon Apple Tea 3 Stars Better then what they tried to pass off last year, but if there is any booze in there you can't tell it LOL!
Hops & Barley - 17th Anniversay Festival Beer, Chocolate Block, 1 star. Not very good glad I only got the 3 oz, Too "chocloate" with beer Strange!
Florida - Shrimp Ceviche with Fire Rosasted Vegtables, Fried Plantains. 2 stars. Ceviche was good. Friend Plantain was bad
New Zealand - Seared Sea Scallop with Kumara Red Curry Puree. - 1 star 1 scallop and the puree was gross IMHO
Ireland - Lobster and Seafood Fisherman's Pie 3 stars. mine was a little spicier then last year and the lobster was overcooked.
Canada - Cheddar Cheese Soup 4 stars Good as always
Canada - Chicken Chipolte Sausage 3 stars. Sausage was a little spice for me
Canada - Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Migon. 4 star. MUCH better then anything I have eaten in the resturant! (Why?) \
Deserts & Champagne - Dark Chocolate Mousse 4 star YUMMMY

Not much beer or wine due to a combo of the heat and the race! I did have one of the beers from Canada that is discussed earlier in this thread and it was very good!

I will be back with the "flat out drunks" later this month As for the college kids I saw LOTS of ID checking with the youngsters in front of me. (I was a little unhappy that I am so old they didn't bother LOL!)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #1584
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:

It's opening weekend...

That's like going to Times Sq. on NYE and saying it's like that all the time....

I hear it's nice during the week... Weekends get lots of locals who work during the week.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #1585
EmmaMagsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coup2516
Later on the weekends you will get the local college kids coming over for F&W. I have read some pretty incredible things about them. We were there last year and went to F&W on a Saturday night. It didn't really bother us but we are in our 20s. I can see how it would affect others. I definitely wouldn't recommend bringing children during those times. We will probably steer clear of F&W most of the weekend we are there this year.
We were there last October with our DD's ages 7 and 8. We didn't have any problems, except for some drunk college kids, pushing in line while waiting for pictures Mary Poppins. We however , don't stay late and leave late afternoon.
EmmaMagsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #1586
SweetSpot
DIS Veteran

I've always had to go on weekends and this year will be there for a Sunday and Monday. I assume Monday shouldn't be too crowded but what about Sunday? The weekends were terribly crowded to a point where you couldn't walk easily and definitely couldn't find a spot to sit down and sample anything. Finding an unoccupied top of a trash can was even impossible. I wouldn't bother going back on a weekend again. Will I have better luck this time around?
SweetSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #1587
Alice Sr.
BWV 1998 BCV 2002 SSR 2006 AKL 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
It's the standard beer cart at the Canadian pavillion that I believe is there year round, NOT the F&W kiosk. The cart usually serves Moosehead, but during F&W they bring out some kegs of Unibroue. Usually Le Cellier is the only place you can get the beers in WDW when not during F&W.
Thanks for the additional information and clarification. We will be sure to stop by.
Alice Sr. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #1588
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

I was there too on Saturday (not Sunday). Did not see what you saw. I saw a couple of loud groups. It does not matter to me what their shirts say but especially on the weekend you are going to see the "drink around the world" groups with shirts they have made themselves, and yes, they will generally refer to drinking. I saw that group, but they were behaving themselves when I saw them. Did not see any intentional pushing and shoving, not even of children, or flat out frat party style drunkenness. However, I do not recommend festival weekends (ANY weekend) for guests who are not interested in the festival, guests who prefer to keep out of crowds, or guests traveling with very young children. there were a LOT of people and with crowds that size there is going to be some pushing and shoving and stroller tripping, even at MK. I've been in enough crowded parks to know that tripping over strollers doesn't mean you are drunk.

Sundays in general are less crowded than Saturdays but the best days are Monday-Thursday. Yesterday was crowded for a Monday. Part of that was the influx of fans for Epcot's 30th (there were LONG lines to buy merchandise for that).

Here's my countdown on the food items though.

South Africa, spinach paneer pocket
Argentina, beef skewer (no line for this on Saturday night for some reason)
Morocco, sausage in a pita
Ireland, fisherman's pie (I don't like this as much as most people do, it's not bad)
Hawaii, tuna poke (this is mostly seaweed salad, with four cubes of tuna, but I like the salad)
Terra, the un-chicken curry (tastes like chicken, textured more like processed chicken, I'm guessing it's made of something like tofu)
New Zealand, lamb meatball (only one meatball in a "bread bowl" with tomatoes, tastes pretty good)
China, pot stickers (straightforward. They appear to have a new, stickier sauce. Handy because it's easier to keep it on the plate, but I liked the runnier sauce better)

Nominee for the best item this weekend was the spinach and paneer pocket from South Africa, and I like the grapefruit beer.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 10-02-2012 at 09:15 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #1589
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I also haven't seen it here, but the Festival wristband gift cards no longer have the coiled plastic band. The new ones have a rubber band-type wristband.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #1590
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I also haven't seen it here, but the Festival wristband gift cards no longer have the coiled plastic band. The new ones have a rubber band-type wristband.
Do you like the new wristband better or do you think the coiled one was better? I saved my coiled band from last year so I'm wondering if I should bring it to use this year. It was pretty comfortable, especially compared to the coiled band from the prior year which was too tight. ETA: In re-reading your post it sounds like you don't have one yet. If you do get one, I would be interested in hearing whether it's comfortable. Thanks!

Quote:
Terra, the un-chicken curry (tastes like chicken, textured more like processed chicken, I'm guessing it's made of something like tofu)
Gardein's chick'n products list the following common ingredients: water, soy protein isolate, vital wheat gluten, expeller pressed/canola oil

and then variations depending on the product, for example their chick'n strips list the following ingredients after the ones listed above: organic ancient grain flour (kamut®, amaranth, millet, quinoa), modified vegetable gum, yeast extract, potato starch, sea salt, organic cane sugar, natural flavors (from plant sources), onion powder, vinegar, garlic powder, pea protein, spices, carrot fiber, beetroot fiber, extractives of paprika and turmeric.

Last edited by LisaS; 10-02-2012 at 11:10 AM.
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: