Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #91
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsenquiz View Post
Can you book the *GT rate through Costco?
I'm under the impression that anything DCL offers, you can get through a TA, including Costco. I believe that when you book a new res, Costco links directly to DCL and quotes whatever price DCL is currently showing. You should verify this w/ Costco though.

Of course, you can always book on your own through DCL and then transfer later. I did this because I wanted to pay with gift cards, and Costco won't take those (nor will they take the Disney rewards cards). So I paid my balance down quite a bit through DCL and then transferred it to Costco. This thread saved me quite a bit of money!
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #92
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post

Of course, you can always book on your own through DCL and then transfer later. I did this because I wanted to pay with gift cards, and Costco won't take those (nor will they take the Disney rewards cards). So I paid my balance down quite a bit through DCL and then transferred it to Costco. This thread saved me quite a bit of money!
Oh, so how do you pay if you don't have an Amex? I guess this would make a big difference to me.

When I lived in California I could order the So Cal Disney passes through Costco online and I'm sure I paid with a visa card (since that's all I have).

Also, I had to pay in full when I booked using the Florida rate since it was inside the 75 days. It wouldn't be possible to book directly and then transfer, so whoever books it (direct, TA, Costco) that has to be the deal for you.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #93
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Oh, so how do you pay if you don't have an Amex? I guess this would make a big difference to me.

When I lived in California I could order the So Cal Disney passes through Costco online and I'm sure I paid with a visa card (since that's all I have).

Also, I had to pay in full when I booked using the Florida rate since it was inside the 75 days. It wouldn't be possible to book directly and then transfer, so whoever books it (direct, TA, Costco) that has to be the deal for you.

Nancy
Yeah - if you're doing it last minute, you'd have to do it directly through the TA for sure.

It says on the Costco Travel website (under FAQ's) that they accept Visa, Mastercard, and AMEX.

Jodie
Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #94
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm under the impression that anything DCL offers, you can get through a TA, including Costco. I believe that when you book a new res, Costco links directly to DCL and quotes whatever price DCL is currently showing. You should verify this w/ Costco though.

Excellent info to have as I will be paying with GCs also to get the fuel points.
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #95
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Excellent info to have as I will be paying with GCs also to get the fuel points.
I do the Target Red Card 10%. How much do you get w/ fuel points? I did buy some GC's when Kroger did the 4x promo, but when I crunched the numbers, the Target deal worked out better (of course it only works if you have the pharmacy coupon).

Be careful how much you pay down before transferring. I left a $42 balance on mine, and then I noticed a couple days later that the balance due was only $12. My fare had been reduced by a lower fuel surcharge or taxes or something. You must have SOME balance due in order to transfer.

Jodie
Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #96
jackparts
Mouseketeer

If I understand; I can book a dummy cruise while onboard, get the 10%,give DCL gift cards that I buy at Target. When the cruise is almost paid for I transfer to Costco and book my real cruise and get a Costco card for $300 to $700. This really works for me as I book three veranda rooms per cruise and savings x three is fantastic.
jackparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #97
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackparts View Post
If I understand; I can book a dummy cruise while onboard, get the 10%,give DCL gift cards that I buy at Target. When the cruise is almost paid for I transfer to Costco and book my real cruise and get a Costco card for $300 to $700. This really works for me as I book three veranda rooms per cruise and savings x three is fantastic.
Not quite. You book the dummy date while onboard to get the 10% discount. When you find a cruise you want, then transfer your dummy cruise over to that one. At this point your res is still with DCL. Pay your cruise down w/ gift cards purchased from Target at the 10% discount. Then before final payment is due, transfer to Costco to get the cash card.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #98
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

My understanding is you must name Costco or any TA you use onboard when you book. When you get back home call Costco/TA and they will transfer the ressie. I thought it had to be transferred within a month or two to get the full costco/TA $. But if ressie is a true dummy to be moved in the future I think costco charges a fee to move dates. My 2 cents.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #99
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
My understanding is you must name Costco or any TA you use onboard when you book. When you get back home call Costco/TA and they will transfer the ressie. I thought it had to be transferred within a month or two to get the full costco/TA $. But if ressie is a true dummy to be moved in the future I think costco charges a fee to move dates. My 2 cents.
This used to be Costco's rule, but not anymore. I called to verify and just did this a few weeks ago. Costco allowed me to transfer the res and said I would get the full cash card value ($215 on a $2,900 fare). I transferred only 4 weeks before the final payment deadline.

Yes, Costco does charge a change fee. Thats why I would get your res finalized while still with DCL, and then do the transfer. Also, Costco does not take gift cards, so if you're paying down with those, do it before you transfer.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #100
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Good news pillow
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #101
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I do the Target Red Card 10%. How much do you get w/ fuel points? I did buy some GC's when Kroger did the 4x promo, but when I crunched the numbers, the Target deal worked out better (of course it only works if you have the pharmacy coupon).

Be careful how much you pay down before transferring. I left a $42 balance on mine, and then I noticed a couple days later that the balance due was only $12. My fare had been reduced by a lower fuel surcharge or taxes or something. You must have SOME balance due in order to transfer.

Jodie
I have never priced out the Target discount but for us fuel points savings is huge. We paid for our Disney trip last Sept using Gift Cards. We always buy our GCs when the fuel points are 4x(happens about 5 times a year). We ended up with 16000 fuel points just for that one trip. We always use the full 35 gallons when we fillup because we always fill up two cars or bring our gas cans. So we ended up saving $560 on gas just for buying gift cards to pay for a trip we were going to pay for anyway. Also if you buy your gift cards using your Disney VISA you can get the rewards also.
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #102
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have never priced out the Target discount but for us fuel points savings is huge. We paid for our Disney trip last Sept using Gift Cards. We always buy our GCs when the fuel points are 4x(happens about 5 times a year). We ended up with 16000 fuel points just for that one trip. We always use the full 35 gallons when we fillup because we always fill up two cars or bring our gas cans. So we ended up saving $560 on gas just for buying gift cards to pay for a trip we were going to pay for anyway. Also if you buy your gift cards using your Disney VISA you can get the rewards also.
The more gas you put in at the discount, the better. I ran the numbers using 20 gallons (my minivan), and it came out to an 8% discount. So for me, the Target 10% is better. 35 gallons at a time equates to a 14% discount, which is huge! Way to go!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #103
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not quite. You book the dummy date while onboard to get the 10% discount. When you find a cruise you want, then transfer your dummy cruise over to that one. At this point your res is still with DCL. Pay your cruise down w/ gift cards purchased from Target at the 10% discount. Then before final payment is due, transfer to Costco to get the cash card.
I'm so proud to see how much you've learned... you've surpassed me BY FAR!! I only contributed one part of that equation, to you.
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #104
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
I'm so proud to see how much you've learned... you've surpassed me BY FAR!! I only contributed one part of that equation, to you.
Funny - I was already doing the onboard rebooking and the Target gift cards. Your Costco advice was icing on the cake. Thanks so much!

Jodie
Old 10-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #105
goeva
DIS Veteran

Last edited by goeva; 11-15-2012 at 07:19 PM.
goeva is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: