Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,005

We used Costco several years ago, and it was a great deal financially. We got new tires on our van and a whole lot of other stuff with our gift card when we got home.

The main thing is that if you use Costco, you have to do all your own research. They don't know ANYTHING about DCL. For example, when I made the reservation, the person told me (and it sounded like she was reading from a script) that soft drinks are not included in the price of the cruise. I told her about the drink stations on deck, and she told me that I was wrong. Also, Costco could not tell me which staterooms had the pull-down bunk (on the Magic) and we were assigned to a room that did not have it. (We had two rooms and would have had to divide our group in a way we hadn't planned if I hadn't researched this on my own.)

So if you don't need any hand-holding, save the money and use Costco. Just know going in that you know more than they do! Since you're on the DIS, you'll probably be just fine.
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #17
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sleepy View Post
Wait, so you don't get to use the money for your vacation? Is the money only god at Costco, or can you use it to pay off your credit card that you used on vacation?
They are correct. You get a Costco gift card which to me is just as good as cash. Our $600 Costco card won't even last our family 2 months of trips to Costco.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
BCV2003
DIS Veteran
 
BCV2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 654

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I did end up booking yesterday with Costco to get the $190 gift card after the cruise. My research showed Disney giving us $25 OBC for booking with them. I also contact Dreams and they were offerring a $100 OBC. I contacted another cruise travel agent and they offer nothing additional.

We booked a Concierge Verandah Room 12522.

When I talked to Costco I did have one question and while he admitted that he had never been on a Disney Cruise he put me on hold and called Disney to ask my question. At the time of booking, the exact room that I wanted wasn't showing up but it was a few minutes before I booked so I was able to call back about an hour later when the room showed back up in inventory and they gladly changed the room for me and sent me the new confirmation.

Hopefully this will be our first of many cruises!
__________________
Most Recent Trips:
December 14-20, 2006 at Boardwalk Villas/Beach Club Villas
September 26-29, 2007 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
December 30, 2007 - January 2, 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas Concierge
January 2-5, 2008 Beach Club Villas
September 23-28, 2008 at Beach Club Villas
September 25-30, 2009 Old Key West/Beach Club Villas
June 20-27, 2010Animal Kingdom Villas/Beach Club Villas
October 11-14, 2012 3-Night Disney Dream Concierge sailing to Bahamas
October 14-17, 2012 Old Key West Resort

FUTURE:
October 12-20, 2013 Honeymooning at Aulani
BCV2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
mdinowitz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 137

Does anyone know if you book on board, can you transfer the res to Costco afterwards and keep the Disney OBC and still get the Costco reward? If so, how do you do it?
mdinowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdinowitz View Post
Does anyone know if you book on board, can you transfer the res to Costco afterwards and keep the Disney OBC and still get the Costco reward? If so, how do you do it?
If you click on the link in post #7 it takes you to another thread discussing Costco as a TA. As someone posted, per Costco's website you have to do the booking completely thru them to get the cash card, you can not transfer an existing reservation to them. This info is provided on their website.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
If you click on the link in post #7 it takes you to another thread discussing Costco as a TA. As someone posted, per Costco's website you have to do the booking completely thru them to get the cash card, you can not transfer an existing reservation to them. This info is provided on their website.
This is incorrect. I just did this. I booked a March 2012 Wonder cruise through costco and got >300 gift card from Costco. While onboard the Wonder I booked again for the Magic spring break 2013 cruise out of Galveston. You tell the onboard person who books your cruise to list Costco as the travel agent.

I then called up Costco when I got home and they were able to successfully move my reservation over since it was already listed as having them as the agent. I am still going to receive my >500 dollar gift card. Now with that said you might want to call Costco ahead of time and ask them what name/address the onboard agent should use for your booking. He asked me when booking and because I didn't know he used the agent's name and address that was on my booking for the cruise I was on and there were no problems. If you didn't book the cruise you are on through Costco then you might have issues when they don't know who to list on the booking.

Another note based on someone else's comment above about the gift card. All Costco cash cards are exchangeable for cash. Go into the warehouse and go to the customer service counter and tell them that you would like cash for your cash cards. They will have to go to a register to get you cash but they will do it. I got our gift cards the week we returned home and I went down and exchanged them for cash so I could buy my wife a new iPad. Since Costco doesn't sell them I took the money to the Apple store and bought one there.
__________________
UmmGooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 692

One more thing. Since I wanted a good rate on the 2013 cruise I booked through Costco a 4E stateroom the day the reservations opened so I could lock in my price. When I was on the cruise they were unable to apply the onboard booking incentives to my existing reservation since Costco had made the booking . The issue was that the category 4E rooms were sold out when I was onboard so my only option was to book a 4B. I still would save $400 by doing this plus get a onboard discount so it was ok. When I got home I had to call Costco and cancel the previous reservation. The guy on board told me that when I did that I would probably lose my 4E room because often Disney holds back rooms or someone else could grab it out of inventory quickly out from under me. Thankfully Costco called Disney and the guy who released my previous reservation was able to grab the same room and cat 4E from inventory and so I ended up saving about $700 plus I got the $200 OBC and the $500 gift card from Costco.

I just wanted to bring this up because I recommend people book as soon as possible and then try to rebook onboard to see if they can save money but you don't want to risk prices going up more than 10% while you are on board.
__________________
UmmGooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #23
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post
This is incorrect. I just did this. I booked a March 2012 Wonder cruise through costco and got >300 gift card from Costco. While onboard the Wonder I booked again for the Magic spring break 2013 cruise out of Galveston. You tell the onboard person who books your cruise to list Costco as the travel agent.

I then called up Costco when I got home and they were able to successfully move my reservation over since it was already listed as having them as the agent. I am still going to receive my >500 dollar gift card. Now with that said you might want to call Costco ahead of time and ask them what name/address the onboard agent should use for your booking. He asked me when booking and because I didn't know he used the agent's name and address that was on my booking for the cruise I was on and there were no problems. If you didn't book the cruise you are on through Costco then you might have issues when they don't know who to list on the booking.

Another note based on someone else's comment above about the gift card. All Costco cash cards are exchangeable for cash. Go into the warehouse and go to the customer service counter and tell them that you would like cash for your cash cards. They will have to go to a register to get you cash but they will do it. I got our gift cards the week we returned home and I went down and exchanged them for cash so I could buy my wife a new iPad. Since Costco doesn't sell them I took the money to the Apple store and bought one there.
I've never booked thru Costco myself. I was just posting what someone else posted and what I read on Costco's website.

To receive your Costco Cash Card, you must book directly through Costco Travel.
Bookings made through Disney Cruise Line or the Disney onboard cruise consultant are not eligible for this Costco Travel benefit.


https://www.costcotravel.com/?h=5&ch...eyCruiseLine__
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
I've never booked thru Costco myself. I was just posting what someone else posted and what I read on Costco's website.

To receive your Costco Cash Card, you must book directly through Costco Travel.
Bookings made through Disney Cruise Line or the Disney onboard cruise consultant are not eligible for this Costco Travel benefit.


https://www.costcotravel.com/?h=5&ch...eyCruiseLine__
Yeah from what I understand that used to be their policy. I think Costco got shafted by Disney because of complications with booking onboard and a reduced kickback for the travel agency when someone books onboard. I think either Disney changed their policy recently or they have worked out something so Costco gets the same payment from Disney so now Costco allows for this. Their website might be out of date but as of March I was able to do this specific thing and get almost the same credit I got from my original booking (It was slightly less because the amount I was spending on the cruise was reduced by %10).
__________________
UmmGooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran
 
SuzanneSLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Posts: 3,232

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post
Yeah from what I understand that used to be their policy. I think Costco got shafted by Disney because of complications with booking onboard and a reduced kickback for the travel agency when someone books onboard. I think either Disney changed their policy recently or they have worked out something so Costco gets the same payment from Disney so now Costco allows for this. Their website might be out of date but as of March I was able to do this specific thing and get almost the same credit I got from my original booking (It was slightly less because the amount I was spending on the cruise was reduced by %10).
I think the other issue is that when you name a TA (such as Costco) when booking on board a different set of rules applies than if you don't name any TA and then want to transfer the reservation to a TA.

I had this issue come up when we booked onboard and the TA I named on my booking request was omitted. I couldn't just transfer the reservation to the TA and still get the same OBC. I had to work through DCL to correct the error in naming the TA in the initial booking. I was glad I had kept the paperwork to show I had named the TA onboard. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #26
blessdmommy
I really should be packing - rather than Dis-ing!!
 
blessdmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post
Yeah from what I understand that used to be their policy. I think Costco got shafted by Disney because of complications with booking onboard and a reduced kickback for the travel agency when someone books onboard. I think either Disney changed their policy recently or they have worked out something so Costco gets the same payment from Disney so now Costco allows for this. Their website might be out of date but as of March I was able to do this specific thing and get almost the same credit I got from my original booking (It was slightly less because the amount I was spending on the cruise was reduced by %10).
I hope Costco's website is wrong on this. I would like the discount and the giftcard.

Well I'll give it a try next month. I booked through Costco for our upcoming cruise and will try onboard booking using Costco as travel agent. I'm glad to hear that there is a chance or else I wouldn't have even tried it.
Thanks!
__________________
I really think I should be packing rather than Dis-ing


1st trip 2005 September ASMo
2006 September ASMo
2007 September OKW
2008 May Disneyland
2009 September ASMo
2010 September POP
2011 September POP
1st cruise 2012
blessdmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #27
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessdmommy View Post
I hope Costco's website is wrong on this. I would like the discount and the giftcard.

Well I'll give it a try next month. I booked through Costco for our upcoming cruise and will try onboard booking using Costco as travel agent. I'm glad to hear that there is a chance or else I wouldn't have even tried it.
Thanks!
Try calling before you get onboard. I would hate for them to put down Costco and then when you call to transfer it doesn't work out. I know for sure mine transferred no problem plus when they cancelled my prior booking for the same cruise they were able to transfer my room. I would ask them their policy and ask them what address/name should be listed on the contract. I know for me the name wasn't simply "Costco" it was a specific name of an employee at Costco.
__________________
UmmGooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #28
IFlossU
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Gilbert, Az
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post
This is incorrect. I just did this. I booked a March 2012 Wonder cruise through costco and got >300 gift card from Costco. While onboard the Wonder I booked again for the Magic spring break 2013 cruise out of Galveston. You tell the onboard person who books your cruise to list Costco as the travel agent.

I then called up Costco when I got home and they were able to successfully move my reservation over since it was already listed as having them as the agent. I am still going to receive my >500 dollar gift card. Now with that said you might want to call Costco ahead of time and ask them what name/address the onboard agent should use for your booking. He asked me when booking and because I didn't know he used the agent's name and address that was on my booking for the cruise I was on and there were no problems. If you didn't book the cruise you are on through Costco then you might have issues when they don't know who to list on the booking.

Another note based on someone else's comment above about the gift card. All Costco cash cards are exchangeable for cash. Go into the warehouse and go to the customer service counter and tell them that you would like cash for your cash cards. They will have to go to a register to get you cash but they will do it. I got our gift cards the week we returned home and I went down and exchanged them for cash so I could buy my wife a new iPad. Since Costco doesn't sell them I took the money to the Apple store and bought one there.
This is an old thread, but in researching booking through Costco I found your information incredibly helpful. I love when ALL my questions are answered in a single post.

Thank you for this information!!
__________________


(38) (41) (5) (3)
IFlossU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #29
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsSteve View Post
Costco gives you a gift card after you take the cruise, not an OBC.
It must vary by cruise then because I am getting an OBC (around $600 I think) and it can be refunded to me if I have not spent the entire amount at the end of the trip.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #30
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
If you click on the link in post #7 it takes you to another thread discussing Costco as a TA. As someone posted, per Costco's website you have to do the booking completely thru them to get the cash card, you can not transfer an existing reservation to them. This info is provided on their website.
The reservation I mentioned in the previous post was transferred to Costco. No problem and everything stayed the same except for the OBC.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: