Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

Egypt trip reports?

I am looking at booking my first ABD to Egypt in March 2013. I know they canceled quite a few Egyptian adventures due to political unrest but note that since that seems to be under better control ABD is back to Egypt again. I'd really like some input from anyone who has done this tour. Any tips or tricks? This will be my DD14 and my first trip across the Atlantic and I want to make it as smooth a trip as possible. Thanks in advance.

May 2006- Wilderness Lodge-1st trip to WDW, December 2006- Pop Century, October 2007- SSR and MNSSHP, November 2007- 1st Disney Cruise , January 2008 - SSR, Boardwalk, October 2008 - Pop Century and MNSSHP, March 2009 - Pop Century, May 2009 - VWL, December 2010-Pop Century and 1st MVMCP, March 2011- Disney Dream and SSR, January 2012 - Disney Wonder, March 2012 - Disney Magic and POR Royal Guest Room, March 2013 - Disney Fantasy and AofA Resort Little Mermaid Room, June 2013 - ABD Germany, Once Upon a Fairytale, July 2013 - ABD - Ireland, the Emerald Isle, August 2013 - Disney Wonder, July 2014 - DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic ABD
JacksGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

I'm also waiting. I sent a pm to one member who I knew went in April, I believe but has not visited the forum since then and has not responded. I did ask ABD and the person I spoke to says their first one was in October lat year and it went really well. We are booked for Dec. 2013, the second time around. We will see if this one pushes through. I like the itinerary better since they added Abu Simbel which I think is a must-see if you are near the Aswan area.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Egypt is awesome, but very un-Disney in every way

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
I like the itinerary better since they added Abu Simbel which I think is a must-see if you are near the Aswan area.
Abu Simbel is located just a few miles from the Sudan boarder. Egypt's political problems are minor compared with the total chaos in Sudan.

Don't worry, Egyptian troops with automatic weapon guard Abu Simbel! One guard demanded that I take his photo which would entitle him to collect "baksheesh", Arabic for tip/bribe. How do you refuse a guard with an automatic weapon?

Egypt was an awesome experience, but very un-Disney like in every way. That why I toured with an archaeological group rather than ABD or any other tour company.

Send me a private message if you want to read a very long trip report.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
Abu Simbel is located just a few miles from the Sudan boarder. Egypt's political problems are minor compared with the total chaos in Sudan.

Don't worry, Egyptian troops with automatic weapon guard Abu Simbel! One guard demanded that I take his photo which would entitle him to collect "baksheesh", Arabic for tip/bribe. How do you refuse a guard with an automatic weapon?

Egypt was an awesome experience, but very un-Disney like in every way. That why I toured with an archaeological group rather than ABD or any other tour company.

Send me a private message if you want to read a very long trip report.

-Paul
I pm'd you. I'm not worried about the trip not being "Disney like". I really just trust the Disney name and from other trip reports to other ABD destinations it sounds like they provide a great tour experience. My DD is 14 and very mature, she is excited to visit Egypt and doesn't need, or expect, to have Mickey lead the tour.

May 2006- Wilderness Lodge-1st trip to WDW, December 2006- Pop Century, October 2007- SSR and MNSSHP, November 2007- 1st Disney Cruise , January 2008 - SSR, Boardwalk, October 2008 - Pop Century and MNSSHP, March 2009 - Pop Century, May 2009 - VWL, December 2010-Pop Century and 1st MVMCP, March 2011- Disney Dream and SSR, January 2012 - Disney Wonder, March 2012 - Disney Magic and POR Royal Guest Room, March 2013 - Disney Fantasy and AofA Resort Little Mermaid Room, June 2013 - ABD Germany, Once Upon a Fairytale, July 2013 - ABD - Ireland, the Emerald Isle, August 2013 - Disney Wonder, July 2014 - DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic ABD
JacksGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Start with England - much safer

Replied to private message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksGirlz View Post
This will be my DD14 and my first trip across the Atlantic and I want to make it as smooth a trip as possible.
For the first trans-Atlantic trip, I believe Egypt would be too much of a culture shock for an inexperienced travel that not even ABD could prevent.

I recommend England for a first trip. I took my DD13 to England last summer to see lots of Harry Potter sites. The Tower of London held her attention long enough to forget about loss of TEXT phone service!

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: