Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #31
AZlady
DIS Veteran

What's VGC?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #32
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZlady View Post
What's VGC?
the Villas at disney's Grand Californian hotel.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #33
Sandan77
Mouseketeer

That's great news, my DH really wants to do this, did they say how long they walk for?
Sandan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #34
SGDisneyFam
Mouseketeer

How exciting! Was kicking myself for not taking advantage of this before but hoping its still running march when we arrive !

SGDisneyFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #35
czmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
It's back! I just checked in to the VGC yesterday (best ... hotel ... ever, by the way), and they announced that starting this Tuesday, January 29th at 6:55am, DLR guests can meet at the Grand Californian Hotel's Grand Entrance, the one into DCA, for a Get Up & Go Power Walk through DCA.

I signed up to do it while the DW and DKids sleep in a little. Any DISers out there care to join me Tuesday morning for the first pre-opening Power Walk inside DCA since Cars Land opened? I hope they take us down Route 66.
Awesome! Let us know how it goes!!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #36
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandan77 View Post
That's great news, my DH really wants to do this, did they say how long they walk for?

2 mile walk, 30 minutes long.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #37
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by czmom View Post
Awesome! Let us know how it goes!!
I'll definitely report back.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #38
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Well, the best laid plans .... Last night, my DW and I decided to do a 7:30am Surf's Up Breakfast today before the 9am EMH at DL, so I backed out of the power walk. Maybe another day.

If anyone goes, I'd appreciate a report.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #39
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

The Grand Californian Hotel is handing out their schedules now for the next week, and in it they show a trend ... on days where no one can get into DCA until 10am (i.e. Tuesdays and Thursdays), the Get Up and Go Power Walk goes through DCA. The other 5 days are split between a power walk through the Resorts (Wed/Sat) and an 8am Pilates class (Fri/Sun/Mon).

I want to go this Thursday. I'll give a report if I go.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #40
czmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
The Grand Californian Hotel is handing out their schedules now for the next week, and in it they show a trend ... on days where no one can get into DCA until 10am (i.e. Tuesdays and Thursdays), the Get Up and Go Power Walk goes through DCA. The other 5 days are split between a power walk through the Resorts (Wed/Sat) and an 8am Pilates class (Fri/Sun/Mon).

I want to go this Thursday. I'll give a report if I go.
Thanks. Does the power walk still begin early enough to walk through DCA, and still take advantage of EE over at DL?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #41
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. Does the power walk still begin early enough to walk through DCA, and still take advantage of EE over at DL?
Yes. That's my plan too. You can walk from 7 to 7:30, shower and get dressed and eat breakfast before the 9am EMH at DL. I want to be at White Water Snacks at 8am. Then again, I can get ready pretty quickly.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #42
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

I got up and did this power walk this morning. And I'm glad I did. The gentleman cast member who takes you on your DCA journey is Dave from Anaheim, and he is very nice and talkative. One note ... they say to get to the Grand DCA entrance at 6:55am to sign a waiver before your 7am start. Do not be late! We left about 30 seconds after 7:00am. The CM who stayed back at the gate told us 4 folks showed up just a minute or two late, and unfortunately missed it.

Anyway, it was Dave, me, and one other guest, and we set off on a counter-clockwise trip around DCA, going around Paradise Pier, through Pacific Wharf, into Cars Land. Then past Luigi's into Bugs Land and past Tower of Terror and the Monster's Inc ride. Then off to Soarin' are past our starting point. Then we went through the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (including over the rickety wooden bridge), and back past the Painted Ladies towards Ariel's ride, and then left to the Carthay Circle restaurant and Soarin' again. Here we ended back at the hotel. Dave told us we went 1.8 miles, and that once Grizzly River Run opens, the walk will make one loop around the Grizzly Trail to make it 2 miles.

We were back at 7:27am or so, and the extra loop would have taken an extra few minutes had it been open.

I highly recommend getting up for this. They tell you no cameras, but Dave let the other person in our party take a Cars Land picture, since the picture wasn't of anything "backstage". So you likely can bring your camera.

We did see a dozen or more cars and trucks on the roads, especially in Cars Land. And several of the doors to behind the magic were open, allowing a glimpse or two behind the facades that aren't normally there.

You do not need a park ticket, so you can do this on your departure day if you don't have any days left. Call ahead and reserve your spot, although I think you'd be fine if you just showed up at 6:55am.

Thanks for reading. I hope this helps.

Last edited by ValpoCory; 01-31-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #43
danlkrim
Mouseketeer

Sounds very cool

That sounds like a very cool walk. Hopefully it will be available when I visit in a few weeks. I love seeing places like this when they are empty. Pace sounds quick. I can usually do 2 miles on the track at my gym in about 35 minutes.
Walt Disney World Feb 2012
Disneyland and California Adventure Feb 2013
WDW Nov 2013, Jan, Feb, April 2014,
danlkrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #44
czmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for reporting back! Hope it continues through DCA in early December!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #45
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlkrim View Post
That sounds like a very cool walk. Hopefully it will be available when I visit in a few weeks. I love seeing places like this when they are empty. Pace sounds quick. I can usually do 2 miles on the track at my gym in about 35 minutes.
Quote:
Thanks for reporting back! Hope it continues through DCA in early December!
No problem! Dave said he thinks the DCA walk on Tuesdays and Thursdays is here to stay, especially when the park opens to guests at 9am or later. So check your park times for Tuesdays and Thursdays before you arrive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: