Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #121
disneytriptime
Earning My Ears

wow! LOVING the trip report!! I'm new and we are planning to head to WDW next May and I'm so glad I found your trip report. It's the two of us plus our two teens who are not much into parades, shows or characters either so it'll be great to remember your plans for each day and how well it all worked out for you and base our plans on that. We aren't sure exactly which parks we want to hit while down there also - we know we want to do WDW but we for sure want to get to a few others as well so I will be eagerly awaiting each installment so we can see which parks we feel might best fit our likes.

Looks like you had such a great time and I look forward to seeing more

and the photos are TOP NOTCH!!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #122
wakica
DIS Veteran

Good Luck with your plans. Your going to have a GREAT time!!

our DD wasn't into the characters at all but for some reason she just wanted to meet Duffy - maybe bc he's so new?? Not sure but he was easy to get to anyway at Epcot and then at Universal Studios she suddenly TOTALLY wanted to meet the Minions and the superheros and villains. It just came out of nowhere so you just never know what will happen.

I hope your able to figure out which parks to choose. Hopefully I'll get my report done in time for you to get a good idea of what all the parks are like before you have to make the decision. However feel free to send me a message or just post here if you have any specific questions

Me dh dd(16)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #123
disneytriptime
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakica View Post
Good Luck with your plans. Your going to have a GREAT time!!

our DD wasn't into the characters at all but for some reason she just wanted to meet Duffy - maybe bc he's so new?? Not sure but he was easy to get to anyway at Epcot and then at Universal Studios she suddenly TOTALLY wanted to meet the Minions and the superheros and villains. It just came out of nowhere so you just never know what will happen.

I hope your able to figure out which parks to choose. Hopefully I'll get my report done in time for you to get a good idea of what all the parks are like before you have to make the decision. However feel free to send me a message or just post here if you have any specific questions
Thanks for being so willing to let me pick your brain. I will definitely take you up on that offer!

We are very excited to be going but there is just so much to learn. I didn't realize how much until a coworker suggested this site!!! It's a good thing I found it early. I don't really post, mostly just read but I'm learning so much!!

Maybe the super heros and villains would be something my boys would like too. I'll look foward to seeing those photos.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #124
wakica
DIS Veteran

I hope I don't keep you waiting too long to see the super heros and villains. I think I have about 6 more days to post before I get to those I'll try to get it done before too long - I seem to be able to find the time to do a post per week.

Me dh dd(16)
Old 07-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #125
amazingact21
Upendi

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your latest update, haven't spent much time on the DISboards lately.

I'm glad you were able to hear the course talk, even if you didn't end up learning anything new. It's better to take your chances; I know I wanted to hear it before my first race.
Very cute drawing on the board. And even better that you had those necklaces made! They were great.

Ugh, the green shirts weren't my favorite color, either. Alex wears his shirt when he works out, and he gets irritated with it, because the big logo always sticks. But I suppose it's all about having something to remember the race. (Besides the medal)

That spot off of Main Street looks so quiet and relaxing! I don't think I even know where that is. Hmmm, definitely going to keep an eye out for it in the future.

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #126
wakica
DIS Veteran

I'm glad I'm not the only one irritated by the shirts. LOL. I think if they were blue or black or even grey and had a v neck I would have liked them more. But yes, it's definitely a keepsake. I do still wear it ocassionally but they are SO baggy that I feel like I'm just floating in it so it's not exactly figure flattering either. It's mostly for around the house days where the most I might do is run an errand quickly.

I havn't been on much either. Keeping pretty busy with work and trying to do some summer fun stuff with DD. This is our busy time for our photography business - about June right through to December. We have LOTS of time in Jan through May so I was able to be on a LOT more when planning the trip.
I'll have to see if you've made another update. It's gonna be the RACE That's what I'll be posting next too.

That spot off Main street is part ways down and on your right side (if you are entering the park). Very nice little spot

Me dh dd(16)
Old 08-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #127
wakica
DIS Veteran

WOW!! Where did everyone go It's so lonely on here.

Anyway, I'm on to an EXCITING DAY!!

DAY 10 - MAY 5 - KONA CAFE & EE5K (just Kona for now tho)

THIS WAS THE DAY!!!!! Don't get me wrong. The WHOLE trip was something we were looking forward to but DD and I had been working towards this day for 6 months. Well one of us more than the other anyway. LOL

We were to run in our 1st 5K race but first we wanted to start out the day right and I had learned from amazingact that Kona was a GREAT place to get a huge carbohydrate filled meal for such a day.

We slept in and got to the Kona Cafe just before our scheduled time of 11am. I HAD wanted to get there earlier but we couldn't get our butts moving (I'm really not surprised seeing as how busy we had been on this trip). It still irritated me. I pretty much knew that there was no way we'd run into amazingact who had an earlier ressie but whom I had hoped to run into on their way out and our way in. Again, we were late so I knew we had lost that chance.

DH never really cared for this resort but as we entered it and saw the beauty of it he totally changed his mind about it. It really is very beautiful!!! It was like being back in Hawaii and we LOooovved the feel of that.

We were let into Kona very quickly as the breakfast rush had already cleared out and it wasn't very busy at all. We sat at the far end of the restaraunt with a path by our table and a big beautiful window just beyond that path.

Here is apic of DD and DH with the path behind and the window...

and here are DD and I on the other side of the table (ya, she was hopping sides LOL)...

and here she is being a goofball! lol

We were ready to CARB UP!!! I can't eat a whole lot before racing so I knew this brunch would have to be my main meal for the day.

i ordered TONGA TOAST!!! and had been drooling about since the day I heard about it...

and it was EVERYTHING I EVER dreamed it would be!!!

DD got the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes...

she is obsessed with all things Hawaii so this TOTALLY hit the spot for her!!

and DH got some sort of Egg dish - omlett or something which he absolutely loved too...

For beverages DH got coffee, I got orange juice and I think DD probably got the pineapple juice .

It was ALL JUST SOOOOO GOOD!!!! But completely filling and DH was the only one that was able to clean his plate. LOL.

Our waitress was an absolute sweet heart and SO nice to chat with. Somehow it came up in conversation that we were running that evening and just as we were getting up to leave our table she came hurrying over and gave DD and I each a pin that said somethining about celebrating our magical achievement!! I was tickled pink!!!! I was SO stoked to be wearing it into the parks the following day to show off that we did indeed achieve something magical and incredible for us!!!

We looked around the inside of the Poly for a bit bc we couldn't resist it's beauty...

and headed into the shop where DD bought the MOST adorable bag and I got myself a new hat!!

DD couldn't resist tryiing something on her head! You totally knew that was coming right???

Then we headed out to adore the GORGEOUS grounds of the Poly!

We ALWAYS love seeing soft white sand bc the beaches near us are rocky and SO hard on the feet so the beach area was irresistable to us...

We admired the GORGEOUS flowers which DD insisted a photo be taken of bc it's the same type of flower you find in Hawaii (Hibiscus??)

and then DH thought we should pose for him on the beach so he could practice for his wedding coming up at Madeira Beach where it would be white sands and full sun just like today.

I obliged him by getting a pic of my new hat which i was SOOO thrilled about! Let me tell you just HOW thrilled I was!!! I had a fave hat and DH borrowed it on our last trip and "Sweated it up" as I say. Seriously he left a sweat mark around a portion of the hat but I dont always look too great in hats so I've been sucking it up but grumbling at him about it for a few years now bc I've never been able to find a replacement that i liked. Well, thank you to the store at the Poly I had found it at last!!! DH wasn't too thrilled about the price but knew this hat was a long time coming and he owed me big tiime so he was happy for me.

Here it is!!!!

and DD and I posing in the full sun for him...

It wasn't the best pic bc the shadows were harsh on our faces but he did get it right on the day of the wedding. I had to do some work on removing some of the shadows for this pic.

After the Poly we hit DownTown Disney bc we were supposed to watch a friends daughter play in her band but it was SSSOOOOOO scorching HOT OUT!!!! It was so hot waiting for the band to start that we had to alternate trips to the store to cool down. We didn't want to lose our spot so we took turns and boy, did we all feel the heat on this day. I was starting to be VERY greatful that the race wasn't going to start until 9:30 pm!

Unfortunately my friend got the times mixed up and when we found a sign it saaid she wasn't playing til 4 and there is no way we were gonna be able to wait around til then. So we headed back to the condo.

We had figured out a GREAT way to stay cool and relax until our race that evening so we started out resting and snoozing at the condo and then made our way down to the movie theater at our condo clubhouse. We went in the day before and booked the theatre for about 5pm to watch Inception. DD had wanted to see it for awhile now.

It turned out the be the perfect way to wind down, relax, stay cool and refreshed and pass the time away until our race.

I think we had eaten a salad with chicken before the movie. A nice light meal was just what i needed for supper before running a race.

I'll be back another day with the actual race. Sure is hard during the summer to find time to get these updates done.

Hopefully some of my old friends will come back and read and i'm not just doing these for myself. LOL

Me dh dd(16)
Old 08-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #128
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Great update Kim!! You really look like you are enjoying that Tonga toast!!!
That is a hibiscus flower - they are beautiful! We have lots of them here in all the colours of the rainbow - well, almost! Very pretty, though.
And I like your new hat, too - I also find it hard with hats - and I have to wear hats here in summer, and sometimes winter! I think I'll have to have a look around and see what they have at WDW. It's good to have a hat that is able to be packed in a suitcase, too, rather than carry on board a plane!! Just asks to be left behind, I say!
Will look forward to hearing about the race when you have time.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #129
DisneyStitch626
DIS Veteran

I am still here! Loved the update. I love the Poly too. I wasn't so sure about it from photos and such, but seeing it in person changed my mind. It is beautiful. If we had the money to stay at a "monorail" hotel, we'd probably pick that one. Loved the surf board your DD is standing beside too!

Sounded like a great day. Looking forward to hearing about the race!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #130
amazingact21
Upendi

Race day!

I'm so glad that Kona was a success! And what do you know...we did sit at the same table.

Your whole morning sounds very relaxing and fun. (with the exception of the DTD heat.) The Poly is a beautiful resort, and how great that you were able to change your DH's perspective of it.

That's great that you were able to find a new hat that you liked! A nice, unexpected surprise.

Booking a theater room and watching a movie sounds like the perfect way to relax before the race. I bet it was nice and cool in the room, and you could distract yourself by concentrating on the film. I might have to steal that idea if I ever do a night race again.

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 08-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #131
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcakes, Booze, & PHM

So jealous of your Tonga Toast...looks like a great time at the POLY!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #132
wakica
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd0411 View Post
Great update Kim!! You really look like you are enjoying that Tonga toast!!!
That is a hibiscus flower - they are beautiful! We have lots of them here in all the colours of the rainbow - well, almost! Very pretty, though.
And I like your new hat, too - I also find it hard with hats - and I have to wear hats here in summer, and sometimes winter! I think I'll have to have a look around and see what they have at WDW. It's good to have a hat that is able to be packed in a suitcase, too, rather than carry on board a plane!! Just asks to be left behind, I say!
Will look forward to hearing about the race when you have time.
Oh ya!! That Tonga toast was GOOD STUFF
I don't often overindulge in bread so it was quite the treat.

Cali would LOVE seeing such an array of colured hibiscuses!! They are such beautiful flowers. Do they stay in bloom very long?

What are you at now? 2 months???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyStitch626 View Post
I am still here! Loved the update. I love the Poly too. I wasn't so sure about it from photos and such, but seeing it in person changed my mind. It is beautiful. If we had the money to stay at a "monorail" hotel, we'd probably pick that one. Loved the surf board your DD is standing beside too!

Sounded like a great day. Looking forward to hearing about the race!
I agree the Poly is SOO pretty. It is kind of hard to tell from a distance bc it's a bit dated looking but once onsite you realize the beauty of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Race day!

I'm so glad that Kona was a success! And what do you know...we did sit at the same table.

Your whole morning sounds very relaxing and fun. (with the exception of the DTD heat.) The Poly is a beautiful resort, and how great that you were able to change your DH's perspective of it.

That's great that you were able to find a new hat that you liked! A nice, unexpected surprise.

Booking a theater room and watching a movie sounds like the perfect way to relax before the race. I bet it was nice and cool in the room, and you could distract yourself by concentrating on the film. I might have to steal that idea if I ever do a night race again.

I thought we must have been pretty close to your spot at Kona!!! LOL Well since we didn't run into each other we still were able to take in your "karma" or some crazy thiing like that. Bahahaha!!!
and the theater room was DEFINITLY a great idea. When we came out of there it was after 7pm so it really helped to make the time fly. I think we went back, had a little snack, got ready and left. It was perfect and helped me to keep my mind off the run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
So jealous of your Tonga Toast...looks like a great time at the POLY!
Oh ya!!!! It was DEFINITELY good!!!! Im tempted to make my own version of it but I try to avoid too much bread so I'll just leave it as a special Disney thing. I've heard of some people having success in making their own tonga toast though.

Thanks so much for commenting everyone!! It's nice to know it's being read.

Me dh dd(16)

Last edited by wakica; 08-06-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #133
jecskc
DIS Veteran

I am still here and still loving your TR. I especially liked you DH's night time photos at MK. Just amazing !! Can't wait to hear about the race. I was going 5to start the couch to 5K program myself and then I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle VERY badly, It has been two weeks and I am just now able to hobble a little without the use of crutches. VERY frustrating !!

Anyway, looking forward to reading about your Run Disney experience.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #134
khobson
Earning My Ears

best review ever. I will be checking often for more!!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #135
sbsmommy
Mouseketeer

Hi Kim,
I'm still checking in periodically and reading - really enjoying your report and looking forward to the race post.
Have you kept up running? I haven't but I do want to start again. There is a town on the border of NB and Maine about 1.5 hours from me that has a Chocolate festival this week and I just saw that today they have a chocolate race - chocolate at the break stops. I told my sister we should have done that - maybe next year.|
Starr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: