Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #1291
mmeb144

My husband KNOWS I'm a Disney Maniac
MM is the coolest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Mouse View Post
However, today, Jim Cantore is here in Slidell, and when he comes to your town, you know you're screwed.
You noticed that too. I hate it when I see him close to my area too. He totally brings the bad weather.

Mar '87 Offsite, Mar '89 Contemporary, Sept '91 CBR, Mar '92 Dolphin, Sept '97 Polynesian, Dec '00 CBR, May '03 CBR, Jan '04 WL, Oct '04 POFQ, Feb '05 WL, Dec '05 Contemporary, Feb '07 POFQ, Dec '07 CBR, June '08 Disneyland, Nov '08 Buena Vista Suites, Dec '09 CSR, Dec '10 POFQ, June '12 POFQ, Dec '13 Caribe Royale/POFQ, May '14 ASMusic
Old 08-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #1292
cjlvsccm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It has a pool AND parking? It must be a resort!

Hey, back off. I'm pretty fond of the Weather Channel, especially right now.

And to update you, we're fine. My house has not flooded and we came home late yesterday during a lull (we were just a mile away on higher ground at my older daughter's house).
However, today, Jim Cantore is here in Slidell, and when he comes to your town, you know you're screwed.

So glad you're making it ok!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dec'12/Jan'13, NYE at AoA!!!! ... Apr/May '12, DREAM! ... Nov '11, POR ... Jan '11, CSR ... Nov '10, POFQ ... May '10, POFQ & ... Nov '09, after seeing STS-129 launch!!!! ... June '09, POP ... Nov/Dec '08, ASMu ... Oct '06, POP ... Aug '00, FREE trip (friend's radio prize!!), stayed offsite ... Aug '89 daytrip
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #1293
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post

What. A. Load. Of. Crap.

I really do hate the games you have to play. But you usually really do have to go through the "chain of questions" in order to find out their bottom price. they are not going to offer it until you work for it.

"Tell you what, why don't you fill in your pool, discontinue the wi-fi, stop serving breakfast and don't provide parking, things like that. You know what you'll have? A hotel with zero vacancy. Or, just keep the 'resort fee' and people will avoid your establishment in droves and you'll get the same result."

You may have noticed that 'resort fees' make me

A resort fee at a 35 dollar Knight's Inn is ridiculous, but they have them jsut the same. Then, there is the resort fee at the Swan and Dolphin, or the Universal Resorts, and after paying 200 hundred a night to start with, it's just as equally ridiculous. And the Swan, Dolphin, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock or Portofina Bay, well, none of them come with a Microwave, or even, even a little fridge!
Pop Century comes with a little fridge even now.

Apparently intelligence is not a pre-requisite for Best Western hotel clerk.

Some times you just know a lost cause when you see it.

Yep, Peals before swine, pearls before swine.

Never underestimate the capacity for a person to do something truly ignorant.

I'm going to have to take that personally now,,or, "some people are born stupid, some people have stupidity thrust upon them", and, well, in another chapter or two, see which categorie I fall into.

Well, of course. It would be much simpler to just say the correct room number.

But where's the fun in that???

I do stuff like that all the time. It makes her angry. Which of course only encourages me to do it again.

I'm easily amused.

Hey! Maybe that's why I read your TRs!

Ah. There it is. The requisite response. A classic. Like a fine whine, it only gets better with age. There's only one thing missing to make it perfect...

... and there it is.

Yeah, the "am not, are too," never gets old, does it? But don't you cringe when you realize you are guilty yourself of probably saying, at least at some point in your life,,,,, ' I know you are, but what am I?"
Maybe you were spared that being in Canada, but I doubt it.

That's very similar to the way DW and I operate. She too is correct 99% of the time. Unless I'm sure about something.

Then she's still right until proven... less right, but not wrong.

I'm still wrong, but in a different way.

You know, I totally understand what you were just trying to say, totally.

Sometimes, just keeping silent can be more effective. They 'know' they're wrong... and your silence just grates on them. "When's he going to say it? I know he's going to. When? When, darn it!?!?"

Oh yes, definately. And a good, unobtrusive sideways glance can really help.

I've never had a Manhattan and had to look up the recipe. Do you do the whole nine yards with the bitters and/or cherry too? No, not being facetious, I really am curious about how much work you put into these things when you're on the road. To me, just bringing the two bottles would be a lot of work. YMMV.

Bourbon, two parts, one part sweet vermouth, and a little , little dash of cherry juice. No, I don't bother with bitters. The cherry juice takes all the power out of the drink, making it taste a lot less lethal, ergo, getting you in trouble really quickly.

And not one of these kids is in the pool??? I would've thought that at least 618 of 'em would've been. Pools are like magnets to kids.

I thought that too, but then the nickel dropped in, they weren't staying at the motel, just renting the banquet room.
Actually, to be honest, I wondered it at the time and then dropped it. I just thought of the answer as I was typing it just now. Not bad, only a 4 week lag time between letting go, and the nickel dropping to the bottom!

Nice shot! DW hadn't seen a picture of Diane yet, so I called her over. Her comment? "She looks like fun!"

I thiought it was a nice picture too, but we'are both dumb I guess,,, she hates it.

pkondz does not like Cheetohs,,, especially the crunchy ones.

There. Proof positive that we are not the same person. It only took 3 or 4 TRs to prove it.

Really? How can you not like them? That's un-American!
Oh.

Yup. The date for the food pic says the 30th. Plus the dead Heath bar is on the table, too.

I feel like Sherlock Holmes.

Confectionary my dear Watson. Yes, I didn't see it in the first picture until I posted it, but boy, wish I had that Heath bar now,,, I like them.

I had a very similar experience the first time I drove down back in '87. I believe we were in Chattanooga and I had a craving for fried chicken. I ordered a bucket thinking that I'd have some now and put the rest in the cooler for a cold chicken snack later. Later became the next day... after a lot of the ice had melted... into water... My chicken was in a plastic bag... a not so waterproof plastic bag. When I took the chicken out for my snack, I found a bag full of wet chicken parts suspended in a slurry of bread-y water.

Gross.

Smidgy hit this one on the nose,,, we now double bag food stuffs in the "soon to be very soaking wet" cooler.

Ever see "Little Big Man" with Dustin Hoffman?

No. Why?

And you believed it????

Of course I believe in the weather channel, what else is there to believe in besides that and the tooth fairy, now that Santa has been proven to be a phony?

Oooh, I hate when they reverse '55'. :

Funny. Real Funny. Want me to tell you again about the time a dyslexic cop pulled me over who thought I was driving under the influence and tried to give me an IUD?

So how sure are you that it was the salad dressing? I'd heard that vinegar and water's the best too. Although to be fair, I've never used it on my windshield.

No, I'm not really sure it was the salad dressing, at the time I didn't care, all I cared about was seeing. Guess I don't really know what caused the smearing, but it did go away after enough rain washed over it. I think next time she should use Bleu Cheese, or Ranch.

I hear so many people saying they have to stop for the free OJ. But I've never done it. Too much get-there-itis I guess.

Trust me, we didn't stop for the OJ, it was the motel flyers we needed, the oj was a bonus.

Maybe you should've picked a different game.... like yahtzee.

I should have brought "Operation" to fit with the rest of the trip's theme!

Thanks for the chapter, dude!
Very welcome, stayed tuned tomorrow night for another exciting episode of "Grinding Nebo".
Thanks for the wonderful clever and witty comments, Ponzi.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #1294
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Just checking in. Hi Nebo, Smidgy, Ponzi, and everyone else!

We were gone, out of the country on an extended trip. Come back to find out that Nebo was trying to self destruct again! And then teasing us about it by dragging it out like molasses in January. Which is a d*** good thing, or I would have missed it all.

Seriously, Nebo, I'm very glad that you're around to tell about it. And almost scared to hear the tale Please, please take care of yourself.

Now, on with the tale

-Bob
P.S. Read Lucifer's Hammer so long ago that all I can remember is that it's an end of the world story. Probably won't catch any of the references.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #1295
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo View Post
I'm going to have to take that personally now,,or, "some people are born stupid, some people have stupidity thrust upon them", and, well, in another chapter or two, see which categorie I fall into.
Okay everybody! Look somewhere else. This is for Nebo's eyes (or eye as the case may be) only.

All right. Everybody else looking away? (probably at the TV)

I'm pretty sure that you're one of the last people on this planet who I'll consider ignorant or stupid. You've handled a lot of sticky situations with aplomb and a good deal of humour... or anger when warranted (how's the Santa Fe running now? Tires okay?). A few times I've sat with my mouth open staring at the computer screen and said, "Brilliant. Why, oh why, didn't I think to do that???"

So I'll bug you until the cows come home, but I'll never call you stupid.

Although I will happily point out when you do occasionally do something dumb.

Okay, everybody! You can come back now!

I guess we'll see in a chapter or two which category you 'fall' into.

Quote:
But don't you cringe when you realize you are guilty yourself of probably saying, at least at some point in your life,,,,, ' I know you are, but what am I?"
Maybe you were spared that being in Canada, but I doubt it.
I am consoled by the thought that the last time I said that was probably before my 10th birthday.

Quote:
Quote:
That's very similar to the way DW and I operate. She too is correct 99% of the time. Unless I'm sure about something.

Then she's still right until proven... less right, but not wrong.

I'm still wrong, but in a different way.
You know, I totally understand what you were just trying to say, totally.
I wrote that. Then I read that. Then I said to myself, "Nobody's gonna understand a thing I said there.... Nah, Nebo'll get it."

Quote:
Quote:
And not one of these kids is in the pool??? I would've thought that at least 618 of 'em would've been. Pools are like magnets to kids.
I thought that too, but then the nickel dropped in, they weren't staying at the motel, just renting the banquet room.
Ah. Hadn't paid the 'resort fee'.

Quote:
Quote:
Ever see "Little Big Man" with Dustin Hoffman?
No. Why?
Fun yet subtle movie starring a young Dustin Hoffman in the starring role. Richard Mulligan as General Custer. (other notables: Faye Dunaway, Chief Dan George)

Hoffman plays "Jack Crabb, looking back from extreme old age, tells of his life being raised by Indians and fighting with General Custer." (from IMDB)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGAdzn5_KU

Quote:
I should have brought "Operation" to fit with the rest of the trip's theme!

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #1296
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

De-lurking before the next chapter is up to add this true-story spin on the “what did you wash the windows with” issue:

Like most people, we have a collection of windshield-wiper fluid bottles in our garage. I like the orange stuff, he likes the blue stuff (mostly because it costs a quarter of what the orange stuff does.) Sometimes, if he needs a gallon jug for something, he’ll mix the two types to get a full gallon of stuff that looks like dirty dishwater, but still does the job.

One day I, being a somewhat self-sufficient wife, decide to top off my windshield wiper fluid and grab a jug of the dirty dishwater stuff, reasoning that it will be better than the cheap blue stuff but not quite as good as my wonderful orange stuff. Besides, I was in a hurry. (Famous last words, that.) I proceed to pour it inot the reservoir and notice, with my heart sinking like a stone into the pit of my gizzard, that this stuff may be the right “wrong” color, but it’s certainly not windshield wiper fluid.

It’s used motor oil.

Which I poured it into my wiper fluid tank.

After “gently” pointing out to the brilliant handyman in question that perhaps when one uses an empty jug of wiper fluid to store used motor oil, one should perhaps consider:

A. Marking the jug “USED MOTOR OIL” in large letters
B. Not storing the jug alongside the various colored, actual bottles of actual wiper fluid

Luckily, my years of expensive education reminded me that oil and water do not mix, and if I poured in enough real wiper fluid, the oil will rise to the top, overflow and coat the engine and ultimately, the pristine, recently sealed black driveway underneath the car.

Which is what I did, and he-who-must-be-blamed could not say a word.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #1297
mmeb144

My husband KNOWS I'm a Disney Maniac
MM is the coolest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
I like your name for your DH. Serves him right.

Mar '87 Offsite, Mar '89 Contemporary, Sept '91 CBR, Mar '92 Dolphin, Sept '97 Polynesian, Dec '00 CBR, May '03 CBR, Jan '04 WL, Oct '04 POFQ, Feb '05 WL, Dec '05 Contemporary, Feb '07 POFQ, Dec '07 CBR, June '08 Disneyland, Nov '08 Buena Vista Suites, Dec '09 CSR, Dec '10 POFQ, June '12 POFQ, Dec '13 Caribe Royale/POFQ, May '14 ASMusic
Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #1298
cjlvsccm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
De-lurking before the next chapter is up to add this true-story spin on the “what did you wash the windows with” issue:

Like most people, we have a collection of windshield-wiper fluid bottles in our garage. I like the orange stuff, he likes the blue stuff (mostly because it costs a quarter of what the orange stuff does.) Sometimes, if he needs a gallon jug for something, he’ll mix the two types to get a full gallon of stuff that looks like dirty dishwater, but still does the job.

One day I, being a somewhat self-sufficient wife, decide to top off my windshield wiper fluid and grab a jug of the dirty dishwater stuff, reasoning that it will be better than the cheap blue stuff but not quite as good as my wonderful orange stuff. Besides, I was in a hurry. (Famous last words, that.) I proceed to pour it inot the reservoir and notice, with my heart sinking like a stone into the pit of my gizzard, that this stuff may be the right “wrong” color, but it’s certainly not windshield wiper fluid.

It’s used motor oil.

Which I poured it into my wiper fluid tank.

After “gently” pointing out to the brilliant handyman in question that perhaps when one uses an empty jug of wiper fluid to store used motor oil, one should perhaps consider:

A. Marking the jug “USED MOTOR OIL” in large letters
B. Not storing the jug alongside the various colored, actual bottles of actual wiper fluid

Luckily, my years of expensive education reminded me that oil and water do not mix, and if I poured in enough real wiper fluid, the oil will rise to the top, overflow and coat the engine and ultimately, the pristine, recently sealed black driveway underneath the car.

HOW FUNNY!! A bit harsher than salad dressing, huh?

And I too am a fan of the Orange Stuff, while hubs prefers Blue Stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dec'12/Jan'13, NYE at AoA!!!! ... Apr/May '12, DREAM! ... Nov '11, POR ... Jan '11, CSR ... Nov '10, POFQ ... May '10, POFQ & ... Nov '09, after seeing STS-129 launch!!!! ... June '09, POP ... Nov/Dec '08, ASMu ... Oct '06, POP ... Aug '00, FREE trip (friend's radio prize!!), stayed offsite ... Aug '89 daytrip
Old 08-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #1299
orangecats2
All I want is Disney, Crocs and Vera Bradley

I've seen blue stuff and pink stuff but not orange stuff.
Vegas: 95-Hacienda, 00-Excalibur, 01-Monte Carlo, 02-Luxor, 05-TI, 07-Tropicana, 10-NY NY
Old 08-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #1300
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Dee Dees' waddle but they don't fall down!
But thanks, I am doing better, from that injury anyway.
I did break a tooth off two days ago though, geesh!

Thank goodness, the DeeDee waddle hasn't fallen down.....yet! Geesh, I might not make it back up if I did. It's amazing how the center of gravity changes so much when you are pregnant.

By the way, how did your dental appointment go?

Here, I'm going to post your phone number so everybody can call you up and then hear for themselves what i've been trying to say.

Gee thanks Nebo, just what I need to help rest my "ligamenty" self....getting up/down from the chair or couch to answer the phone so everyone can listen to my "cute" southern accent.

There is no such thing as a Chicago accent, sorry to have to correct you, which means that I have no, nuttin, nada, accent.

Uh-huh......right.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #1301
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Okay Nebo, you 'got melk.' I am eagerly awaiting each update, was excited to find this one just now.

We were recently on vacation in South Carolina and my daughter ordered mac and cheese and it came with crumbled cheetos on it. I wonder, is that a southern thing? I mean, I like cheetos but not sure I want them topping my meals! But I'm guessing you would have loved it .
Melk, just curious, where in SC did your daughter get Cheetos mac and cheese? I live in SC and I have never heard of it as a norm here, but I like both of them so I might like it. I don't think it's a southern thing, though homemade mac and cheese is popular here and it is really, really good!!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #1302
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I just rode the elevator with a guy whose last name is Carrion. I thought of Nebo.

Jill in CO
Jill, I love this! It's the weird, odd, unusual stuff in everyday life that makes me think of Nebo........and Pkondz as well.

We're fairly "unique" people in this TR and the TRs Nebo has inspired.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #1303
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
So I have to share this:

I posted this on FB a little while ago:

Dropping the lid of a pressure cooker on your forehead is NOT a smart move

·
From Smidgy:

you pulled a Nebo!!!!
Marita, that is hilarious!!!

I hope you are okay though!

Old 08-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #1304
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Geez! I'm getting to it!

Actually that's why I'm here now, so I can 'respond' to your last chapter...
Amen Pkondz!!! I am playing catch up too!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #1305
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc at last ! View Post
It is so entertaining reading Nebo and the anti-Nebo - pkondz !
You both have a gift ! Thanks.

According to Scotty, if matter ever touches anti matter, the whole universe would explode. Or, you mean theat I matter, and he doesn't matter. (see quote in my signature.

I have the same Dixie plates your subs were on - thought you would like to know. Yes, I did google when reading to find the capitol of Oregon.

Funny, I thought I threw them out.

My mac and cheese story:
When my children were younger we were having mac and cheese.
When I opened the box there was a dead spider in the box. I wrote a letter to Kraft and they sent me a case - spider free !
So now whenever we talk about mac and cheese we say --
mac and spiders !
Had to share.
Cool, new flavors, tarantula, brown recluse and black widow mac and cheese.

Quote:
Bow-chicka-bow-wow.

I'm willing to bet that Ruby almost goes for your throat every time you say that.
I knew a guy who wanted to surprise his girlfriend who only liked red smarties. (Don't they all taste the same? ) He wrote the company who replied that they couldn't send him red only smarties... but they did send him a case of smarties so he could sort 'em out himself.
Quote:
pkondz does not post for 4 days... then suddenly posts 4 times in one night.

It's one of the signs of the apocalypse. Run for the hills!

Yes, the four donkeys of the crockaship, walk for your lives!

Nebo mixes cherry juice and bourbon... (not radish juice and carrot juice?)

then you've got me saying "Run for the hills!"

combine that with my avatar and you get....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ED4dQvzPqY
Carrie! That's it! The voice, I told you he sounded different, he sounds jjust like Marvin, it was right there all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
Oh good grief.
Don't go to far away, Marissa, you don't want to miss seeing a Nebo crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post

..um.. except my piano.. Nebo? when we ever DO move, we ARE bringing my piano?
You do realize that harmonicas are all the rage now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
So far things seem to be quiet on the front. Does this mean the fit's about to hit the shan?

I don't think so, if it is, somebody better tell Shan. No, we still have a couple of chapters left before All Hell Lakes Bruce.

I do not like where this is leading up to. I'm just glad you are okay now.

Well thank hyou Camille

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
Just back from our Beach Club trip!

I thought I would be way behind but I'm happy to see that I'm not that far behind and I haven't missed the big reveal!!

Looking forward to catching up!!

Jay
Hey Jay, didn't that suck? Walking distance to Epcot, and no Test Track!

Quote:
It has a pool AND parking? It must be a resort!

Hey, back off. I'm pretty fond of the Weather Channel, especially right now.

And to update you, we're fine. My house has not flooded and we came home late yesterday during a lull (we were just a mile away on higher ground at my older daughter's house).
Sandy, so very glad you got through that allright, I can't afford to lose any readers from natural causes the way I tick them off on my own.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: