Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #1981
Self_resqing_princz
Mouseketeer

The Book....

Have you guys decided what the name of the book is?

So- I remember reading a book as a kid... I'm sure it's NOT the same book.. because if I remember correctly, the kid in my book found out he was the only one in like this whole entire city-thing who wasn't colorblind... but I could be completely wrong in remembering the book.
The Giver is the book that I read... and after reading the reviews on line-- it appears that I don't remember most of the book. But I do remember this is the first book that ever made me cry.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Giver-Lois.../dp/0385732554

2007/2010 WL
2013- split stay POR(RS) & WL

Current PTR/TR September 2013: Doing Disney by the book... or rather- list. Marking off our Disney Bucket Lists!
[URL="http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3151964"]Moose & Goose do Disney -or- The 5th anniversary is the Disney Trip anniversary

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/jxorsv1jabd4oqto.png
Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #1982
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

Chapter 12, Goin' Mobile!

Ok, Tuesday night, Nebo in the stroller, and Epcot on the horizon.
Todd told me he'd be more than happy to push me around, ok, I took him up on it, no way in the world am I walking the Epcot walk the way my head was.

One thing though;
I wasn't buying it.

What?

You'll see, and I was RIGHT!

But before we left, I really needed one thing done for me, and this I could not do by myself. ( easy out there)

Before I put on my clean shirt, I asked Diane to take a look where my forefinger is almost touching, and Please, Please, make it go away!
It's not exactly where the "sun doesn 't shine" but I wouldn't want to try and grow petunias with the amount of light if gets back there.
It's like living in Winnipeg.
In January.
There, I just accurately equated somebody's home town with my behinder so now whenever they think of home,,,,

You know, in retrospect, I think it's sentences like these that I just asked her that cause her to drink, when you never can see them coming, and you know, that sooner or later, it's going to be explained and it's going to make sense, it's got to be a frightening living!

I didn't want to say immediately what she was looking for, but after a moment I didn't have to.

"Oh my goodness, is that what I think it is?"

"Yes, I got in the way of the Lilyputian Olympic Javelin toss"

Tweezers would have helped but she got it out with her fingernails. I wanted to get her to put it on a piece of paper so I could photo it, but in transit she lost it so the evidence from the assault was gone forever.
Back to going mobile.

Allright, no, I did not get pushed up the bus ramp in the back with the ECVs, this wheechair folded up better than a transformer and I put it in my pocket and walked on.

It was about 6 when we got there, not a whole bunch of time before Illuminations but I told myself to be a good little nebo and just sit in my buggy, nobody will listen anyway to advice from a person in a baby buggy anyway.

Since the beginnig of time, Tuesday is early entry and Friday EMH at Epcot, but for some very strange reason, for this week it is reversed, so with time a factor, the last thing you want to do FIRST, is Spaceship Earth on arrival.

The line to the giant golf ball sucked them in like the world's biggest magnet!

Test Track is closed still, Soarin' (apost,,, oh never mind), fastpasses are long gone, but there's still Mission : Spray, or Ellen playing with her dinos, Captain EIEIO, not too mention the Canada Dry movie, China movie, American Adventure, Voices of Puberty, Nemo,,, other stuff that won't be available after the regular fpark closes, but no, it's time for listening to the Dench wench.
(I know, I need to fire my writers)

Time out here for a second:
I mentioned in the commentary section of the report something nobody answered yet, and I want to repeat the challenge, obscure though it probably is:

I gave the preggers Buzz a due date of 11-22, 7 pkondz, 4 ounces and said the baby girl will be named Ruby, after Ponzi's wife. Ok, why did this pathetic grey matter of mine come up with the name Ruby?
If Ponzi can't get it, probably nobody will.
( Ok, I'm going through this again, and it really is stupid, I almost deleted the last bit but left it in anyway, no, nobody is going to get this.)

Hey, this is how I entertain myself.

Resume.

ON SE, they took me off to the side with my stroller, and then I stood there with my group for quite a while, certainly longer than if we had just done this in a normal fashion, not sure at all what they were waiting for to let me get on.

One ride in and I'm already not likinig this at all, I feel really stupid and wish I had a huge bandage around my head or something. When it was time to get in a car, I threw in a
limp for good measure.

Jackson liked it more than I thought he would for his age, and thankfully he didn't want to do it again though, so we went on over to Nemo and rode it.
How fun, two rides in a row I couldn't see anything cuz it's still too daylighty out but what can I do?

This was another major hassle with the wheelchair, especially when I couldn't find which one was mine after we got out, so I think we just left it and thankfully, there was not a big line to go see Crush and got in right away for the next Turtle Talk Show.

His performance was about right in the middle I guess, sometimes it can bee really funny, other times a dud, kind of like Monster's Inc. or Jungle Cruise, but it was ok tonight. I told Jackson to raise his hand and ask him a question before we went in, but even though he sat down in front with the kids, he never tried to ask anything.
And the 3 newbies just weren't as amazed again as I would have thought they'd be.
I'm starting to give up ;hope and just accept that that's the way they are, and nothing will change that.

Even the other night at MK when I had to leave early due to a previous engagement, I made sure to tell them that WIshes needs to be seen from Main Street.
When I asked how they liked it I got a mostly, "Meh" answer. Turned out they saw it from the back in Frontierland near, what else, BTMR.

After Crush I "suggested" they look around a bit, "Let Mom take you around, believe me, she KNOWS what to look at," and that's what they did, but no way could I try, or want to in a wheelchair so I turned the wheels and drove myself outside to meet them when they are finished.

I was starting to get good at it, and right now by myself again I wanted more than anything to go and have a smoke! Instead I drank my little baby bottle of Early Times. Then I practiced making on a dime spins and turns in my stroller, if I had one of those balls on the wheels to spin them I could have really hauled butt.
I saw another old guy sitting out there by himself in a wheelchair and asked him to race. "C'mon, you and me, mano to mano, last one to the beer stand buys" but he wan't having any of it.

Then it was time to head on over to World Showcase.
It was also all I could do to get them to slow down at least for a second to show them the upside down waterfall, or ask Todd if he remembered the jumping water sprouts in front of the Imagination pavillion.

As we get into Showcase Plaza, Todd anounces they need to get something to eat, Jackson needs to eat something now, or he gets crabby.
People are already lining up the railings for Illuminations, and we found the most incredible thing:

A roped off area in the Plaza, FACING all the countries, that, after we asked, is only for handicapped, or WHEELCHAIR users!

There was only a couple in there now, and yes, we can all go inside this premium viewing location. Diane made sure to ask a cast member there to make sure it was ok for us to join them.

I have found in the past, that not all "premium locations" are all that "premium", but this spot surely was, no obstructions at all, and when it comes to this show, you really want to face ALL the countries and see them light up, rather than have some behind you.
Well, ok, all except Morocco, Morocco doesn't play well with others I guess, so they're not allowed to join in.

So, now that we have a terrific viewing spot, the three of them say they are going to go in search of food.
I told them unless you want Mexican, there isn't anything around here, and no, they don't want Mexican, and no, they don't believe me I guess.

When they left I just shook my head.
Diane said "What?"

I said you wont see them again tonight, and I was right.

So much for Todd taking charge of taking me around.
Oh well.

While we waited, I did get to talking to an older guy in a chair, who was from?
NO, New York!

But he was born in New Jersey!
It took me a while to warm up to him at first, he wasn't in a wheelchair, but one of those tricked out ECV things with actual MOTORS!
"Yeah, you think you're hot stuff driving around in that at night picking up chicks, but you won't see me stranded cuz I ran out of battery juice."

Not much to say here.
It was a great place to watch the fireworks, but as I thought, t;hey never came back. They said they watched it from JAPAN, they had gone all the way to America looking for something to eat, you know how hard it is to find something to eat at Epcot can be.

Being an EMH night, the race to the busses wan't the same, although I did feel a few times like I was in a battering ram, but Smidgy did a great job driving.

I did have to tell this one little old lady when we got there that she needs to get off my lap now, and she wasn't happy about that, mainly because she was staying at a monorail resort.

At the end of the night though, I have mixed opinions on life in Disney wheelchair bound;
it's not all peaches and cream, no, you don't always get pushed to the front of the line, sometimes it can even cost you time in line, but the fireworks viewing was unmatched.

Back at Pop, the grill counter was already closed so we had a drink in the room and Smidgy went and got me a Chicken parmesan for dinner, I'm pretty sure, not sure what she got and brought them back to eat in the room.

She heard them come back and went and talked to them about tomorrow.

Once again, it's early entry day at Animal Kingdom, and Kim made an appointment for 11;00 at Tusker House, which effectively eliminates both Nemo the musical and Lion King's first showing.

But right now, I had serious doubts if I'd be joining them.

Wednsday, morning came and as usual, I was waiting for it.

And, no, nope, nope nope, (I'm bringing home a baby, bumblebee,, any guesses why I'm saying that?), I'm not going anywhere.
I am now entering day three of post Hot Fudge Sundae, but I'm not a 21 year old football player, and my head injury is not healing as rapidly as I would have expected.

Did I mention I'm out of painkillers? Real ones?
Oh.

So, why aren't I going? You want more reasons?

Reasons? Let me count the ways:

My head is pounding again, I'm sure I overdid it last night, wheelchair or no wheelchair, I was still in and out of it a lot, plus a lot of visual stimulation that can cause a headache on a normal day, then the fact I took my afternoon stroll across the pond for a Mai Tai, and:

No, I'm NOT letting Todd fake me out again on the pushing me around, no, I don't want to especially, interfer with Diane and Jackson possibly being able to interact more, because Todd is NOT pushing me around, and she has to, PLUS:

No way I can do Everest today.
No way I can do Dinosaur today. Or Primevil Hurl.
The bouncing in the truck on the Safari sounds iffy, probably not a good idea either, I don't like character meals, gee, what else,, Oh, Animal Kingdom's layout and thin walkways is a wheelchair nightmare.

That's enough I think.

Yes, when I was little, when I got in trouble and Mom asked me, "I hope you had a good reason for what you just did young man", well, yeah, I was always prepared, much to her chagrin.

Ok, OK, let's hear it!
How many trip reports do you read where the word "chagrin" is dropped in so flawlessly?
Hmm, wonder if I used it right. Wonder if I spelled it right.

It was a little harder today to shake Smidgy off my stay at home status, but having to leave for early entry didn't give her much time to talk me into being miserable again all day with them.

So they left and I was miserable again all day by myself.

I was not in a good mood today, for a few reasons.

Head stil hurts, and now it's wearing me down.
Yeah, I would kill for 20 Vikes, not only for my head but to elevate my mood, which is why so many people become addicted.

But also cuz even when I am with them, the family I mean, things haven't gone anywhere near like I thought they would.

In all the trip reports I've done, almost every time I talk about watching Illuminations, I mention how I cant wait to see this with my grandchild, Jackson. Hoping to have him seated on my shoulders, people behind me be darned!

But I didn't even get to watch it in the same COUNTRY with him!

That morning just kind of muddled away, nothing stands out and as noon approached, I wondered if my buddy Brad was over at the AOA bar.
Hey, us rummies like to stick together.
Heck, I looked for Adam the King Lifeguard but he was nowhere in sight.
"Wonder if the zombie in concierge wants to talk today?"
but I didn't go in there.

Funny, it never ocurred to me then, but thinking now about it, I probably would have loved to get a chocolate sundae from the food court, I just never think of it when I'm there cuz that's never one of the counters I ever order from.

I did get to read for a while, my ears aren't ringing anymore and I'm able to get back into the book without too much headache pain, but I don't want to overdo it.

But I felt lost, no direction at all, and not sure which way I wanted to even go.
Ok, I can go back up and give Monica an update, she'd probably appreciate that, oh, and maybe mess with the maid some more, that's always fun.

Monymony answered after a couple rings, but was clearly mentally disjointed.

Instead of the "Oh, HI, how ARE you?" I expected, I got more of a "Yeah, what do YOU want?"

She was at Blizzard Beach at the time, but really distraught.
She then wen t on to tell me all about how they got home from Epcot the night before only to deal with the cops and the break in.

We talked for a while, but it seemed that things were going to be ok, she was just still upset and didn't get much sleep, but we were still on for a Saturday meet.

Yeah, I should be a lot better by then, ears aren't ringing, the headache HAS to be better.

I put the phone down, looked at the window as my mind was about to consider, "What next" and LEAPED up!

I've never, ever, had something come on so quickly, and I moved fast as I could.

I didn't make it, vomiting with my hands over my mouth on the way to the bathroom!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #1983
margymas
I hope there's Jello!

You better tell me right now, young man, that you immediately called the concierge zombie and had her call the Reedy Creek gang to get you to the hospital, pronto. You are in so much trouble if you didn't call for help!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #1984
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo View Post
Time out here for a second:
I mentioned in the commentary section of the report something nobody answered yet, and I want to repeat the challenge, obscure though it probably is:

I gave the preggers Buzz a due date of 11-22, 7 pkondz, 4 ounces and said the baby girl will be named Ruby, after Ponzi's wife. Ok, why did this pathetic grey matter of mine come up with the name Ruby?
If Ponzi can't get it, probably nobody will.
( Ok, I'm going through this again, and it really is stupid, I almost deleted the last bit but left it in anyway, no, nobody is going to get this.)
The so called dumb wife from my TR (aka: Lady H) is sitting with her foot elevated at the moment because she may have broken her toe. She thinks she has the answer to your question. She asked me to pass on the answer. If it don't come out right, remember, I'm just the messenger. Please don't shoot me?

Ok here goes.

The reference to 11/22 is the date John F. Kennedy was shot back in 1963.
Ruby would be the reference to Jack Ruby who killed Lee Harvey Oswald.
Oswald as we all know (or should know if we studied history) assassinated JFK.

Is she right?

She also said the reference to the grey matter was just bad.

And for the record, no she didn't break her toe trying to kick me. She missed.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #1985
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

What Margy said!

How disappointing when others dont feel the love like you do, especially after you looked forward to this trip so much.

You know I don't go to Disney parks much, but right now we have CM previews for the new Fantasyland expansion. I asked hubby if he wanted to go. He said "not particularly" (he is also a CM). I guess maybe I will see it sometime before I die, maybe....
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #1986
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

I think that bump also messed with your memory. I never said or gave any impression oh you again. I smile real big when I see your name on the caller ID.

and we chatted for awhile

I did lose you or thought the phone went dead so now I know why, you sure play a good bluff, you never let on how serious of a situation this was for you.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #1987
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

Marita take me!!!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #1988
kath1210
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by margymas View Post
You better tell me right now, young man, that you immediately called the concierge zombie and had her call the Reedy Creek gang to get you to the hospital, pronto. You are in so much trouble if you didn't call for help!
I absolutely agree!!!

:cat :
Old 10-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #1989
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
Looks like its time for the birth bettting pool (for bragging rights)

[QUOTE Nebo]
But in all kidding aside, it's going to be a 7 pound, 4 ounce girl born on the 22nd, and you'll name her not after me, but Ponzi's wife, Ruby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
I say 7 lbs 8oz boy born on the 21st (like my DD) I think the name is too much of a gamble, so I'm not going there.
Marita and Nebo, before you guys start guessing weight I need to give you some inside scoop on the birth weights of DS and DD. I was overdue with both of them by seven days and to be honest, I guess I'm a little like everything in Texas when it comes to babies. DS weighed 9 pounds 8ounces and DD weighed an even 10 pounds! To say I am "all baby" is putting it mildly! Anyway, you both are free to adjust your guesses based on the new information!

I can give you more scoop based on what the midwife just told me on Tuesday, but I will wait and see how/if you alter your guesses!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #1990
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
Cool. A buzz nose tea fountain.

On second thought...
I forgot to mention that it burned like all get out as well! Oh well, it's the price you pay to be entertained!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #1991
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post

Yup. Comments like that are like gold.
Aww, Nebo and Pkondz getting sentimental! And here I thought I was having hormonal surges!

We should agree to a WDW meet sometime. Pkondz, I will even spring and treat you guys to unlimited zebra domes and Disney "plastic" chocolate cakes!

P.S. I need to think about Pkondz's age a bit before I try to venture a guess.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #1992
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
The so called dumb wife from my TR (aka: Lady H) is sitting with her foot elevated at the moment because she may have broken her toe. She thinks she has the answer to your question. She asked me to pass on the answer. If it don't come out right, remember, I'm just the messenger. Please don't shoot me?

Ok here goes.

The reference to 11/22 is the date John F. Kennedy was shot back in 1963.
Ruby would be the reference to Jack Ruby who killed Lee Harvey Oswald.
Oswald as we all know (or should know if we studied history) assassinated JFK.

Is she right?

She also said the reference to the grey matter was just bad.

And for the record, no she didn't break her toe trying to kick me. She missed.
I like this theory Lady H! It fits with Nebo's trivia style.

I hope your toe feels better soon!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #1993
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Dang !! I would have loved to have that primo Illuminations spot on our last trip. And here I thought I did all my research and I find out we could watched them from the handicapped area. Curses ... foiled again !! I will have to remember that if I ever have to be Scooter Mom again. Which I hope I don't. Because this whole not walking thing really sucks.

Dude ..... you really should have gone to the ER. How horrible that days later you were still feeling so badly.

Last edited by jecskc; 10-05-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #1994
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Nebo, before I read the latest chapter I have to tell you about the "run in" I had with a ferocious "pack" of yellow jackets. I left work late yesterday evening and as I approached my car I noticed there were 7-8 yellow jackets on the hood. I immediately had two thoughts. The first was "Oh crap, Nebo would have a fit if he could see this" followed closely by a second thought that this was a dramatic re-interpretation of "Lord of the Flies" ala "Lord of the Yellow Jackets" on my car!

I seriously experienced inner turmoil over how in the frick to jump into the car without antagonizing the little devils into stinging me. I stood there for a good 30 seconds contemplating my best strategy and finally just went for it. A few flew angrily away as I slammed the door shut, but several remained on the hood while I drove out of the employee parking lot and onto the road, hanging on through sheer evil until I accelerated to about 55 mph.

The whole time I found myself thinking "Nebo is never going to believe this"!

I hate yellow jackets!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #1995
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Nebo, I just finished reading the new chapter!

I agree with Margymas and Marita. This vomiting you experienced is unsettling!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: