Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
MissSaraMangel
Earning My Ears

Allowed or not allowed?

I've read tips about bringing a toaster to your resort. I thought this was a great idea and was excited to bring mine. But then I've read that other people are saying this is not allowed! (Staying at POFQ btw) Whats the deal? Is it allowed or not allowed? Whats the official Disney word on this?
MissSaraMangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
3DisneyBuggs
The only way I would fly is if John Travolta is the pilot!
Maroon is my color, like the pom poms!
Now I owe tag tax

I would suggest using the food court toaster- if they have one. Food toasted in a toaster leaves a smell, especially if it is crispy LOL. I wouldn't want to smell that all vacation long.
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

I thought I read that toasters were not allowed if they weren't already in the room. DVC villas and maybe the family suites have them.

I agree, use the ones in the the food court.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
MissSaraMangel
Earning My Ears

Yeah I knew about the one(s) in the food court but I guess I'm just lazy/want to save time and would like to pop in a few bagels while Im getting ready and eat in peace and not have to wait to get dressed to go there and back yada yada. I guess no one can quote a source that confirms its prohibited though?
Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSaraMangel View Post
Yeah I knew about the one(s) in the food court but I guess I'm just lazy/want to save time and would like to pop in a few bagels while Im getting ready and eat in peace and not have to wait to get dressed to go there and back yada yada. I guess no one can quote a source that confirms its prohibited though?
I'm not sure Disney would think they would have to tell people to not bring cooking equipment along to use in their hotel rooms. If they had to make a list of everything not allowed, it would be miles and miles long! As far as I know they don't say I can't bring along a bbq grill, but I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed!

Common sense is you don't cook in your hotel room, unless it has a kitchen area. Your neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate the smells, and it is way too easy for a fire to start.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
kgleine
Mouseketeer

we brought a waffle iron last year and made waffles in all star movies... we asked, and we were told as long as we didnt keep it plugged in when it wasnt in use, and were generally responsible... but we were making waffles there for a kid with allergy issues, soooooo ake that for what it is.
kgleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
MissSaraMangel
Earning My Ears

Regarding the smell disturbing other guests I don't see how that would happen???? And even if I did cook a Poptart and someone smelled it I don't think someone is going to be knocking on my door complaining they smell something fruity coming from my room. I mean if people can smell that, am I going to smell someone changing a poopy diaperI would hope not!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

I thought I had read of someone recently bringing a toaster - CSR maybe? - and we were planning to bring one this weekend for PopTarts as well.

Guess we might have to rethink that plan?

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I'm not sure Disney would think they would have to tell people to not bring cooking equipment along to use in their hotel rooms. If they had to make a list of everything not allowed, it would be miles and miles long! As far as I know they don't say I can't bring along a bbq grill, but I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed!

Common sense is you don't cook in your hotel room, unless it has a kitchen area. Your neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate the smells, and it is way too easy for a fire to start.
Agree. Yep.. it is easy to catch a fire.
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

You'll always get opinions and not Disney rules on here. I "think" you'd be fine with it. Unplug it when you're not in the room.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I think the DVC rules specifically say no BBQ-ing on your balcony! So maxiesmom - you just never know what they will decide to write down! LOL.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

I agree with the part that it could potentially cause a fire.

I'm pretty sure, however, that when staying in a DVC, you may very well be able to smell what others are cooking in their villas, just like you could if it's a hotel room vs. a villa.

That being said, I wouldn't bring my own toaster.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
I think the DVC rules specifically say no BBQ-ing on your balcony! So maxiesmom - you just never know what they will decide to write down! LOL.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
(not talking directly to the poster above me.. this is just a general post. but
this is just my thought..)

Maybe it's a little bit different with DVC because they are fully equipped in the kitchen, with an exception of bbq grill and someone might just bring one so they can bbq outside or at the balcony. So it seems like it's natural for them to let their DVC guests know this rule because they can cook, but just not bring a grill.

Since POFQ or any value, moderate, regular deluxe, they don't have any appliances in the room (with an exception of the cooler/fridge), it's very unlikely for anyone to actually bring a bbq grill because this is not the type of resort where you can cook in your room or grill outside. So I am assuming this is the reason why they don't need to announce that it is prohibited to bring kitchen appliances including the grill. However, it won't hurt to ask the front desk if you can use the toaster in the room.
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
cmcadoo66
Mouseketeer

I don't take a toaster but I do bring an electric water kettle. I like to brew myself a pot of tea in the morning because it just isn't the same brewing it in a cup. I have done this every visit I have made to WDW and I have never been told it isn't allowed. I unplug the kettle and put it away after each use but it is clearly visible by mousekeeping, so I have never hidden it. Whether or not it is truly allowed I cannot say because I have never asked. I just figured if it was a problem they would definitely let me know.

Upcoming: Fantasy 12/13
Previous trips: BCR 7/13, POR 4/13, AoA 02/13, POP 01/13, AoA 11/12, POP 10/12, POR 9/12, BCR 8/12, Magic Eastern 11/11, BCR 7/11, CBR 8/09, Pop 7/08, ASM 6/06, Pop 4/05, Pop 4/04
cmcadoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
mickeye
DIS Veteran

Being from a Fire Department family I can tell you that most every state has safety laws that state: 'in dwellings used by multiple families/occupants, no electrical equipment can be used unless the company's (Disney) electrical workers inspect and pass it's safety qualifications'. With so many hotel rooms guests are lucky that Disney provides basics like mini-fridges and coffee makers.

mickeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: