Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
DoleWhipDVC
Mouseketeer

Long exposure with flash

While checking out the wide angle thread, I saw the fantastic shot of the new Dumbo with fireworks in the background. The poster said they shot it with a flash but the exif data reads that the exposure was 5 and the flash did not fire. The motion of the ride was frozen quite well, and the exposure time is obviously longer than a flash would take, so it seems the flash did go off to freeze the ride motion, but the apeture stayed open for an extended exposure.

How does one set this type of shot up? Do you simply go to the TV mode (or manual I suppose) but also turn the flash on as well? Or is there more to it? Also, why wouldn't the exif data indicate a flash fire in this type of shooting situation? By the way, if you haven't seen this capture, go to the wide angle thread and check it out; it's really cool.
DoleWhipDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
JoeDif
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoleWhipDVC View Post
While checking out the wide angle thread, I saw the fantastic shot of the new Dumbo with fireworks in the background. The poster said they shot it with a flash but the exif data reads that the exposure was 5 and the flash did not fire. The motion of the ride was frozen quite well, and the exposure time is obviously longer than a flash would take, so it seems the flash did go off to freeze the ride motion, but the apeture stayed open for an extended exposure.

How does one set this type of shot up? Do you simply go to the TV mode (or manual I suppose) but also turn the flash on as well? Or is there more to it? Also, why wouldn't the exif data indicate a flash fire in this type of shooting situation? By the way, if you haven't seen this capture, go to the wide angle thread and check it out; it's really cool.

If the flash was off camera fired with triggers such as pocket wizards the exif may not show the flash being fired.

You would also want to set the flash on rear or second curtain synch so it fires at the end of the exposure.

My SmugMug

Objects in this post are closer than they appear
JoeDif is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

The flash makes the exposure for everything it hits so that exposure is quick and freezes that action. The longer shutter speed makes the exposure for the fireworks in the background. You'll get a little blur in the area the flash hits sometimes from the long exposure, it looks like a double exposure, but if that shows up or not depends on how long the shutter is open.

Last edited by photo_chick; 05-25-2012 at 08:56 AM.
photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

I shot this with a long exposure and rear sync flash. I wanted Dumbo to look ghostly so I used a manual flash at around 1/8-1/4 power in rear sync mode.

Spinning Dumbo by Harry Shields, on Flickr
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
racreel
522 miles NW of the Magic Kingdom as the crow flies

Here's a link to the post, I think.

Disneyland: 1976, ASMo: Dec. 1999, POP: Dec. 2005, ASMu: Dec. 2007, ASMu: Mar. 2008, POR: Oct. 2009, Offsite: Dec. 2009, POR: Dec. 2010, SSR: Apr. 2011,
POR: Oct. 2011, POP: Oct. 2012, AoA: Nov. 2012

racreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

Rear Curtain synch is the setting on Nikon. Use a tripod and set your shutter speed to as long as you want then right before the shutter closes the flash fires.

I've used it for stop action at night for example. I had a cousin run and jump into the pool, I used a long shutter to get his image blurred as he was running then the flash fired as he was in mid air so it froze his image there.

I also used it to take this picture of my DS and her hubby:

1/20 for shutter speed to capture the colors of the castle then the flash fired to light them and freeze any motion from the longer shutter.
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

HPS3 I really like that shot. Long exposures like that are almost like time travel in a single frame.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Thanks Photo Chick.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
DoleWhipDVC
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info everyone. And your picture examples are really cool too! I'll have to try this effect out prior to going to the world in July. I'm shooting with a Canon 40D but have an external speed light that will allow second curtain sync. It should be interesting to see what it will do. Thanks again
DoleWhipDVC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: