Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
wendydarling78
She's a Darling...

Character Meet and Greets

We are sailing on the Magic Bahamas cruise July 28-August 5.

We have never done a Disney cruise before, but my daughter has been to WDW 4 times already. We have done zillions of character meet and greets, dinners, etc.

She has about 8 autograph books filled with autographs and pictures.

On the Magic, we have a character breakfast (the Mickey characters), and during our day at WDW we are doing dinner at the castle (lots of princesses).

I've looked at some previous Navigators for cruises, and she has all of their pics and autographs except for Jack Sparrow, who she wouldn't recognize anyhow. (She's 6.)

So, my question is- Do the characters wear "special" outfits or anything different than in the park? Like sailor outfits? Or pirate outifits on pirate night?

I'm just trying to decide what to do over the character meet and greets. (Encourage, discourage, etc.)

Thanks!
Wendy
wendydarling78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendydarling78 View Post
We are sailing on the Magic Bahamas cruise July 28-August 5.

We have never done a Disney cruise before, but my daughter has been to WDW 4 times already. We have done zillions of character meet and greets, dinners, etc.

She has about 8 autograph books filled with autographs and pictures.

On the Magic, we have a character breakfast (the Mickey characters), and during our day at WDW we are doing dinner at the castle (lots of princesses).

I've looked at some previous Navigators for cruises, and she has all of their pics and autographs except for Jack Sparrow, who she wouldn't recognize anyhow. (She's 6.)

So, my question is- Do the characters wear "special" outfits or anything different than in the park? Like sailor outfits? Or pirate outifits on pirate night?

I'm just trying to decide what to do over the character meet and greets. (Encourage, discourage, etc.)

Thanks!
Wendy
Yes, Mickey and gang wear special outfits for Pirate night, formal night (if you have one).

Maybe more, that's all I remember.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

There is many different outfits from the parks.... That being said we are pass holders and felt our time was better used not waiting in lines for characters. We did get a few pics.
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

The characters are in many different outfits throughout the cruise. Unlike the WDW parks, lines are never more than about 15 minutes. The exception is the Princess Party, where there are 5 princesses in the atrium, in their "normal" attire. The nice part about it is that once you are in line, you go to all of the princesses, you don't line up for each one individually.
If you don't want to worry about autographs on board, you can drop off something in Guest Services (like a pillowcase, photo matte, autograph book), and ask for the characters to sign it. It will be delivered to your stateroom on the final evening of your cruise, and you won't have to wait in the lines for the autographs!
It is still MAGICal to see the characters, so I doubt you will be able to avoid them completely!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
vleeth
I heart Disney

Can you use your own camera to take pics?
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Of course you can! We don't do the lines for characters at the parks. It's just too crazy for us. We have always seen the characters onboard though and plan to get there 5 minutes before it starts.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The character experience on the ship is MUCH better than in the parks. They will wear different outfits almost every night--pirate, formal, cruise, etc. You can shoot with your camera and the character attendants will take shots with your camera also (like to get a family pic). In addition, there will often be a ship's photographer there.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
wmharley
DIS Veteran

Location: Central-ish Florida. Roughly under an hour to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
The character experience on the ship is MUCH better than in the parks. They will wear different outfits almost every night--pirate, formal, cruise, etc. You can shoot with your camera and the character attendants will take shots with your camera also (like to get a family pic). In addition, there will often be a ship's photographer there.
The only problem I have with the DCL meets are that the lines can get hectic. The line to see the bottom princesses one day (Cindy, Tiana, SW) was crazy. I left one person in line, then I did with the kids, Aurora, Belle, Alice (who was walking around) and still got back to the line with a minimal movement.

I will say they do change outfits, but not the princesses.
the lack of using a smilie in any post of mine does NOT automatically mean the post was mean or in any way meant to offend you. Please do not be offended by anything I say and by the lack of a smilie.
wmharley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: