Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

A Weekend of Beach Club Eats: Part Three! Update 5/26: Yachtsman Steakhouse!

It's been a long time since I've started a full review thread! I never even got around to making one for our only 'full' trip each year, in January. But, we just got back from another quick weekend getaway at Beach Club (simply the BEST resort for such short trips!) and I've got the time, I've got the pics, why not write some reviews?

Here's the itinerary from our brief foray into disney dining this week!

5/12
Lunch: Beaches & Cream
Dinner: 'Ohana (ok, so not ALL BC-area eats...)
Snack Bonuses: BC Marketplace, Gaston's Tavern

5/13
Breakfast: Captain's Grille
Lunch: Nine Dragons
Dinner: Via Napoli
Snack Bonuses: Boulangerie Patisserie, F&G China booth

5/14
Breakfast: BC Marketplace
Lunch: Hurricane Hanna's
Dinner: Yachtsman Steakhouse
Snack Bonuses: F&G China booth (again!), Beaches & Cream

5/15
Lunch: leftover pizza from Via Napoli (yes, really!)

And that's it! Short and sweet. And savory.

Last edited by BlovesC; 05-26-2013 at 11:55 PM.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
BlovesC
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

5/12: Lunch at Beaches & Cream

We always check in to the BC around 11 and head off to Beaches & Cream for lunch after dumping our bags off. It's our tradition!

The menu changed since our last visit:

I went with the Turkey Club, "classic turkey club on brioche bread with smoked bacon, lettuce, and tomato" but hold the bacon.

This was so basic there's not much to say about it! The 'brioche' was just dry thick white bread really. The sandwich comes with no sauce or zip or zest to it whatsoever...just low-quality turkey lunch meat, some lettuce and tomato. I wish I'd chosen the falafel instead, but I don't have high expectations for that either. My opinion of Beaches and Cream is more or less "come for the food just so you have an excuse to eat the ice cream."

Charlie chose the Beaches Rachel, "pastrami on rye with arugula, sauerkraut, swiss, and peppercorn-russian dressing."

I don't know why it's called a Rachel instead of a Reuben, but I DO know that C absolutely loved it. At least it definitely seemed more interesting than mine!

And for dessert, when we're at B&C, there can be only one ending to a meal...

The NO WAY JOSE!

No Way Jose: Peanut Butter and Hot Fudge Delight with Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Morsels, Whipped Cream and a Cherry

We are odd people, however, and ordered only coffee ice cream in our sundae, because I've long loved the combination of coffee+pb in ice cream, and C has recently come aboard on my crazy train.

The sundae WAS delicious, but not AS delicious as normal, I must confess. The ice cream was full of those crystallized ice chunks that ice cream gets when it's either been semi-defrosted and then refrozen, or it's just old. I assume not many people go to B&C and get coffee ice cream, since it's not featured in any of their sundaes, so I'm guessing it was just kind of old. Still, it was a tasty delight!

Not as delightful: we've had the exact same waitress at B&C the last five or so times we've eaten there this year. I was excited to see her yet again and proceeded to greet her as Maria. Only to learn her name is Dolores. So much for my memory.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
It's been a long time since I've started a full review thread! I never even got around to making one for our only 'full' trip each year, in January. But, we just got back from another quick weekend getaway at Beach Club (simply the BEST resort for such short trips!) and I've got the time, I've got the pics, why not write some reviews? :laughing

5/15
Lunch: leftover pizza from Via Napoli (yes, really!)

And that's it! Short and sweet. And savory.
Let me tell you, if We were staying at an Epcot resort after we went to VN and had leftover pizza-I'd leave the park to go put that pizza in my frig too! I long for that 1/2 of Proscuitto e Melone pizza I had to throw away because I couldn't finish it:-(.

Looking forward to more of your reviews. Sorry B&C was a little disappointing-you are prob right that the coffee ice cream could be old? Shame on them;-)
Old 05-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
BlovesC

5/12: Dinner at 'Ohana

This was really the one solid ADR we started the trip with. DH had actually taken it upon himself to make this reservation, which means he had quite a craving. I think our last meal here was in September or October, so it had been awhile.

We were seated right by the fire pit...and on the aisle. Not a huge fan of aisle tables at 'Ohana because when the games start I start fearing for my life. At one point, while the MC was delaying the conga line for some reason, we had five kids pressed against the side of our table, shaking their marracas in our faces, which kind of made enjoying our meal at that time a little impossible. The best seats in 'Ohana are definitely the ones by the windows, or in the back!

Blurry firepit action shot!

Friendship bread:

I've never been a huge fan of the bread here (I much prefer Kona's!) but it seemed softer than usual and kind of tastier! They also serve butter with it now, which I don't remember. But I could just be forgetting it.

Next came the salad...

Oh no! They changed it! Gone is the delicious honey-lime dressing! The salad now comes drenched in a sickeningly sweet fruity sauce with canned mandarin oranges tossed in. I used to love the salad, but I couldn't stand this. Disappointing!

At least the wings and potstickers were pretty much the same, although the potstickers did LOOK different, but DH said they tasted the same. I'm not a fan of either, but I did try a wing and it was pretty good.

Next up were MY favorite sides...

Noodles and veggies! I know the noodles have undergone so many changes through the years, and many seem to think the last few iterations were far too sweet. But I LOOOOOOOVE them. If they sold just these noodles at Capt. Cook's, or at Kona, I could eat them for lunch every single day.

I did detect a bit less of a pineapple taste in the noodles than last time, but they still tasted roughly the same and just as good.

The veggies were different for us, but DH and I agreed they were improved! They were a little more well cooked and not quite as rock hard as last time. And there were delicious mushrooms and water chestnuts that I don't think we had last time. Loved them!

The skewers of meat started making our way, and unfortunately I didn't grab photos of them all, since at some point snapping photos of messy plates with half-eaten bits just stops being appealing.

I did get a photo of my first delivery, the chicken:

The chicken and shrimp are the only meat I eat at 'Ohana, and I looooooove them. But my first two pieces of chicken were SO dry, I was really disappointed. Luckily, another skewer came by and the chicken was much better! Juicy and delicious like I remember.

The shrimp at 'Ohana has also changed. It's much smaller and seems to have less of the shell. It seemed a bit easier to peel, but lacking in flavor to me. This was an argument between DH and I...he swore up and down it was improved, I said it wasn't as good as it had been, but he loved it. He also has some steak, which got high marks. Neither of us tried the pork.

Finally, the highlight of the meal (for us), the amazing 'Ohana bread pudding:

The actual serving of bread pudding was much smaller than our last meal here. It's hard to tell in the photo, but it was kind of a tiny square of pudding under a giant scoop of ice cream and a pool of sauce. That was a bit disappointing, but only because it is SO incredibly, sinfully delicious.

Overall, we definitely had conflicting opinions. DH actually declared this his favorite 'Ohana meal ever. I declared it one of the worst, although a so-so meal at 'Ohana is still pretty darn good. I was really disappointed in the changes to the salad and shrimp, and the first batch of chicken I had. I will say though that we had the BEST service we've ever had at 'Ohana. Cousin Brandon was absolutely awesome.

Though the REAL bummer was not being able to use our TIW because it was mother's day!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
jabead
DIS Veteran

Hi Becky, I'm here!

And I can almost taste that No Way Jose. YUM!
Looking forward to the rest of the delicious details of your trip.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - #3
- and - APRIL 2014 REVIEW - My Solo Birthday Trip

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

No more honey lime dressing???? I loved that stuff. I miss the days of the apps being served in that cute revolving serving platter.

So much has changed there...we keep thinking about going back and trying it again and hoping it had improved since our last trip, but it seems to be a "hit or miss" meal and amazingly enough as you stated, it can be a "hit" with one person in your party and a "miss" with another...at the same meal, hmmm, but that's typical. Thanks for the review!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

We loved 'Ohana on our first (and only) visit. Which is one reason we've never gone back. I prefer to remember it as it was.

Sorry you were disappointed Becky. Hope that was the only disappointment of the trip.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #8
Disney Runner
Earning My Ears

Joining in

We are staying at the Beach Club for the first time in August. Looking forward to hearing your reviews

Disney Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

I wonder if they will give you the salad the old way if you ask. The bread pudding did look skimpy. Did you ask for more?

Love those potstickers. Nice, balanced review.

We are also staying at BC in August and have an ADR at Ohana with 8 people.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
BlovesC

5/12: Snack bonuses!

We hit MK for some late-night EMH, and Charlie had to get a LeFou's Brew from Gaston's:

Somewhere along the line I've lost my tolerance for these. I don't know what happened! But Charlie still loves them, and we BOTH love how Gaston's seems completely deserted whenever we're there. It's a great place for a pit-stop.

Not to be outdone I had my own treat back at BC, courtesy of the BC Marketplace:

This is the BC Marketplace's Chocolate Peanut Butter cupcake. And it was good. Sickeningly sweet and could have used a tad less sugar in the frosting, but very peanut-buttery with a moist chocolate cake (no filling) and fun bits of candy on top. The last chocolate peanut butter cupcake I had was at Main Street Bakery and this one was SO.MUCH. better!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
BlovesC

5/13: Breakfast at Captain's Grille

We started our morning over on the Yacht Club side of the resort, which we always joke seems so much more dignified and classy than the BC side. We were back to try Captain's Grille again, this time for the breakfast buffet!

First, can I just say how calm and soothing CG is? The restaurant seems to almost never be more than half-full, so of course it's not going to be too noisy, but it's just so nicely lit and cozy too!

The boat next to our seat:

We had ordered a la carte our last visit here, so decided to try the buffet this time.

Behold, my solitary buffet shot!

Some of the cold offerings, like fresh tomato slices, salmon, hard-boiled eggs, etc.

I am sorry to say that even with the restaurant mostly empty, I still felt too weird taking photos of the buffet! As I told Barb, my hat is off to those of you who have provided us with such beautiful, extensive shots of Disney buffets. You are braver souls than I.

My first plate:

Clockwise from the top, my plate had some plain yogurt with granola, an egg white quiche, Mickey waffles, Chef's Frittata of the Day, turkey sausage, and fresh tomatoes.

This plate was delicious! The only misses were the turkey sausage, which was pink in a way I've NEVER seen in a turkey sausage and had an odd taste, and the egg white quiche, which was too soggy. The Mickey waffles were hot and delicious, the plain yogurt at CG is greek which I was very happy about, and the frittata was DELICIOUS! The flavor changes daily and this one was cheese and green onion.

Charlie's first plate:

From the top, he got an onion-bacon tart, banana bread, bacon, sausage, stuffed tomatoes, salmon, tomatoes, turkey sausage, and Chef's Frittata.

He also thought the turkey sausage was 'off' and didn't eat it, and he hated the tomatoes because they were filled with goat cheese (I must have rubbed off on him somewhere about that ). But he loved the frittata, and REALLY loved the onion-bacon tart/quiche.

My second plate:

Plain yogurt with blueberries, dried cherries, granola, and a dollop of whipped cream, a mini blueberry muffin, chocolate croissant, regular croissant, and fresh pineapple.

I HAD to have more yogurt, and it was sooooo good, especially with their extensive toppings! The pastries were equally lovely, although the chocolate croissant was by far and away the winner for me!

C's second plate:

This is a whole mess of food, but it's basically french toast with blueberry topping, bread pudding, bacon, sausage, grapefruit, and two croissants.

I don't have much to say about all this except that he loved it all, especially the bread pudding, and it gave him more than enough energy for the three hours we spent swimming in SAB immediately after.

We thought the selection at CG's buffet was great. I actually expected it to be much smaller, based on the price. Our total was $36 for the two of us with TIW, a good $20 less than Cape May yet the food, atmosphere, and service were so much better!

And a funny note on the service...a few minutes after meeting our waitress, a simply wonderful young brunette woman, I turned to C and said "I think our server moonlights as Cinderella!"...it just hit me, she seemed so much like her. Then when we went up to the buffet, we heard the cooks in the kitchen singing "Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo". I took that as a sign and managed to ask our waitress...and turns out, she played Cinderella and Aurora for six YEARS! Apparently when you do it for that long, the 'princess mannerisms' you have to learn are hard to shake, so she said I was not the first person to ask! We had a great conversation about her time as a 'friend of' the princesses and it was such a fun way to cap off our meal!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Adgie128
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
And a funny note on the service...a few minutes after meeting our waitress, a simply wonderful young brunette woman, I turned to C and said "I think our server moonlights as Cinderella!"...it just hit me, she seemed so much like her. Then when we went up to the buffet, we heard the cooks in the kitchen singing "Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo". I took that as a sign and managed to ask our waitress...and turns out, she played Cinderella and Aurora for six YEARS! Apparently when you do it for that long, the 'princess mannerisms' you have to learn are hard to shake, so she said I was not the first person to ask! We had a great conversation about her time as a 'friend of' the princesses and it was such a fun way to cap off our meal!
How cool is that?

Great reviews! Looking forward to reading more.

Adgie128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
BlovesC

5/13: Lunch at Nine Dragons

We had zero plans for lunch, but after a few hours of swimming we were hungry again! Even though we were scheduled to have dinner in the WS...we decided why not have lunch there, too, it's not always going to be such a short distance away!

We settled on China's Nine Dragons, which we knew we'd be able to walk into easily.

The restaurant was as crowded as our last visit:

Poor beautiful, under-appreciated Nine Dragons. VISIT IT! GO!

One note about the restaurant: the tables are VERY close together, and they have a tendency to seat parties right on top of each other even when the place is 80% empty, I assume to make it simpler for the staff. But they WILL ask you if you're okay with your seat. If not, you can simply ask for a more secluded table and they will gladly accommodate you.

For an appetizer, we shared the Shrimp and Taro lollipops:

These were so good! Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, warm and slightly tangy. While the entree menu may be basic, there are SO many appetizers I want to try, next time we go I'm definitely going to order a couple of them as a meal!

For my entree, I chose the Honey Sesame Chicken:

It looks so small in the photo, but it was a HUGE portion of chicken served with an absolute MOUNTAIN of rice. I spent the entire month of March eating a low-carb no-sugar diet and it left me slightly traumatized, so all I could think when I saw this plate was CARBS! SUGARY GLAZES! MORE CARBS! EMPTY CARBS! END OF THE WORLD! But it was delicious. Perfectly cooked chicken, the glaze wasn't too sweet or cloying. I LOVED the cucumber salad served with it, it was very crisp and refreshing. I wish the portion size on the salad and rice had been swapped!

C chose the same entree he got last time, the Kung Pao chicken, because he had loved it:

And it was declared just as good the second time around. There was no warning from our server about the heat this time...I guess he looked like he could handle it. He DOES wish it were hotter, though. As we all know, Disney's "spicy" standard is merely "mild" to those who truly love heat. Charlie again made up for this by eating the chili peppers mixed into the dish in their entirety, seed and all.

We had another great meal in this quiet, lovely restaurant that has pretty much become my favorite in WS (or slightly tied with our dinner pick!). I know Nine Dragons isn't popular because everyone always says they'd just stay home and order takeout for a lower price. But I have to ask...where do you people get your takeout from? I have zero interest in Chinese takeout because the majority I've had is simply terrible. I eat it maybe once every two years, and then only because Charlie's a big fan. If I ever had anything from a takeout place that tasted as good as the food at Nine Dragons, I might understand how some people live off it.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
BlovesC

5/13: China's Flower & Garden Booth

We skipped out on dessert at Nine Dragons (even though I loooooove the caramel-ginger ice cream offered in China!) so we could try the F&G booth right outside. I had to get these strawberries I kept hearing about!

I couldn't believe the size of these berries. They were quite literally bigger than my mouth. When I received the plate, I was a little worried that they'd be rock hard and impossible to bite into. But no, no no no...the glaze is a very thin, delicate sugary coating that provides an instant crunch when you bite into it, and then the super soft berry melds with the melting sugar and provides an amazing burst of flavor in your mouth.

I LOVED these things. Quite possibly more than anything I've ever eaten at the F&W booths.

Charlie absolutely shocked me by walking past The Joy of Tea and not ordering his favorite item in all of WDW...Tipsy Ducks in Love. Seriously, I couldn't believe it! Instead, he also chose something from the China F&G booth:

This is the Peach Oolong Bubble Tea. Charlie recently tried bubble tea at a local vietnamese restaurant for the first time and is now obsessed with it, to which I say: Welcome to 1998, buddy. He loved the flavor of this and found it very refreshing for our walk back to BC in the relentlessly blazing sun, although I will tell you he left all the pearls in the empty cup!
Old 05-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I agree with you, Nine Dragons is very under-rated and underappreciated. We had a wonderful lunch there a couple of years ago. Maybe we appreciate it because we don't get great Asian food here at home.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: