Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #181
guava
Mouseketeer

My son and I had tickets for yesterday (6/16) morning's Character Breakfast at Cafe La Bamba. We arrived at the park just before 8am for our 8:30 reservation. As we walked towards DM I saw it was up and running with just a 10 minute wait! Started to get in line when my almost 5 year old son, who LOVES the movie, talks like a minion constantly, etc., etc. suddenly got cold feet. I couldn't believe it. After about 10 minutes of convincing by me and some awesome TMs, he agreed to give it a go on the stationary seating. There was no wait at all. I loved the ride. I thought it had a cute storyline, made me laugh and even in the stationary seats I felt like a minion. My son gave it a big thumbs up but wasn't ready to go back and try the motion seats.

So it was on to breakfast. This was only the 2nd morning the breakfast was running. None of the TM's seem to know much about it or even where the restaurant is. (It's not on the map but is right across from Mel's Diner.) We arrived 5 minutes late to our reservation due to the ride but it wasn't a problem as there were only about 10 other families in there. You get your food first-pretty mediocre-and then are seated. Character interaction was great. Got pictures with a minion and then Gru sat down at our table and tried to feed my son his yogurt. I think the flow of the breakfast is a little awkward (dance breaks where no one dances) but I understand the kinks are still being worked out.

All in all, for the early park entrance that allowed us to ride DM with no wait I felt the breakfast was totally worth it. If I were to do it again, I think I'd make a 9:30am reservation, get to the park at 8am and get several rides on DM in before park opening. Once the park opened I never saw the ride wait time drop below 60 minutes.

One last comment...My son and I really liked the parade but the VIP seating that comes with the breakfast is awful. No curb to sit on and the sun was brutal. If you are there because you are DM fans like we are, sit on the benches or curb on the street to the left of Macy's (to the left if you are facing Macy's) instead. You'll be shaded and the DM floats will stop right in front of you during the show part.
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #182
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guava View Post
... If I were to do it again, I think I'd make a 9:30am reservation, get to the park at 8am and get several rides on DM in before park opening. Once the park opened I never saw the ride wait time drop below 60 minutes.
If you have the Breakfast for 9:30, how early will they allow you in the park?

Thanks for the review...we're rushing to try to put details together now! Less than two weeks to go now!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #183
guava
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure but I'm guessing an hour before the park officially opens. The time of your breakfast is not printed on your ticket and the TM only looked at my ticket. She didn't ask or check what time our reservation was for. That's why I am suggesting spending that early hour riding rather than eating. The Universal website now says that the breakfast includes early park admission with access to Shrek 4D and the phone representative said he thought they would be adding Despicable Me to that list once it is officially open.

Any guess what movie my son asked to watch tonight after dinner?
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #184
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

OK...Minions are On-the-Menu!!! 2 JUL 2012!!!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #185
CentralFloridian99
The guy who will ask all the celebrities if they will be involved in Episode VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeev View Post
OK...Minions are On-the-Menu!!! 2 JUL 2012!!!

Good luck with that. I'd recommend getting to the turnstiles REALLY early if you don't want to deal with a 3 hour wait.

The force will be with you, always.
CentralFloridian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #186
the Dark Marauder
Proud Redhead
Time Travel Grand Master
It has achieved Legendary status

I got to ride today! 30 min wait posted, only waited 15. This was at 9pm. The ride is so cute and fun(ny). The queue design and queue videos are very well done as well.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #187
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralFloridian99 View Post
Good luck with that. I'd recommend getting to the turnstiles REALLY early if you don't want to deal with a 3 hour wait.
Oh fer sure...Early is gonna be the game plan every day, ESPECIALLY on Grand Opening day!
The secret "hint" in my post is the word "menu"...
Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #188
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Oh fer sure...Early is gonna be the game plan every day, ESPECIALLY on Grand Opening day!
The secret "hint" in my post is the word "menu"...
What time did you get reservations for?
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #189
CentralFloridian99
The guy who will ask all the celebrities if they will be involved in Episode VII

Since I'm not gettings APs until late August, I'm trying to win tickets from a radio station.

Ba ba ba, ba ba nana. Ba ba ba, ba ba nana

Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #190
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
What time did you get reservations for?
Actually went for the 9:30, which should still allow us to get in a bit before the park opens. Hopefully way earlier. If there are special "Grand Opening Events" going on that morning, my son will want to do those first, and we may hafta reschedule or cancel the CLB, but my back-up plans have back-up plans. With an Autistic kid...it's how we roll!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #191
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Actually went for the 9:30, which should still allow us to get in a bit before the park opens. Hopefully way earlier. If there are special "Grand Opening Events" going on that morning, my son will want to do those first, and we may hafta reschedule or cancel the CLB, but my back-up plans have back-up plans. With an Autistic kid...it's how we roll!
Sounds like a solid plan or, er, plans.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #192
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Sounds like a solid plan or, er, plans.
LOL....Solid!

Just got thrown a bit of a curve ball...with the Donkey & Shrek M&G being closed. Great timing there USO!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #193
idgy
Mouseketeer

Ok, so it looks like the ride will be open for sure when we visit in October. We haven't see the movie and would like to before our vacation. I think I read somewhere (can't find it) that the ride is based on a movie that came in a 2-pack dvd set..???... Does anyone know what movie I should rent? Is it just called Despicable Me or is it something different?

That question sounds really stupid.

thanks for your help!
idgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #194
CentralFloridian99

Quote:
Originally Posted by idgy View Post
Ok, so it looks like the ride will be open for sure when we visit in October. We haven't see the movie and would like to before our vacation. I think I read somewhere (can't find it) that the ride is based on a movie that came in a 2-pack dvd set..???... Does anyone know what movie I should rent? Is it just called Despicable Me or is it something different?

That question sounds really stupid.

thanks for your help!
It's not based on a short in the 2-Pack. The movie is called Despicable Me though.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #195
Spaffy
Earning My Ears

Newbie here.......Where is the ride located in the park?
Spaffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: