Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Mandymouse's '5 Days to book a holiday !! .... You Must Be Kidding' Report

Castmembers

Mandy (forever 39 ), Paul (never too old to wear Star Wars t-shirts)

Friday 27th April 2012

What an exciting day! Out of nowhere hubby announces that the two of us are off to Florida .... and within the next week

So over the next few days we book everything, as all we had were up-to-date ESTA's.

We book a cruise on the Disney Fantasy, a couple of nights at the Ron Jon Resort at Port Canaveral at the start of the holiday, and we finish off with 6 nights at the Pop Century

As you can imagine it was an exciting, but exhausting few days as we book everything, get washing done, pack, and I get my hair and nails done

So our itinerary looked like this

2nd ~ Night at Travelodge. Manchester Airport
3rd ~ Fly to MCO, Virgin VS075, check in at Ron Jon's Resort, Port Canaveral
4th ~ Kennedy Space Center
5th/12th ~ Disney Fantasy
12th/18th ~ Pop Century

Wednesday 2nd May

We didn't get away from home till 8.30pm, but the drive up to Manchester was a quiet one, and we arrived at the Travelodge at Manchester Airport at 10pm.

We used the check-in machine (which found our booking but didn't issue our room card), once the receptionist gave us our key we found our room on the 2nd floor. The rooms looked very sparse, with white walls and a white duvet, and the TV was old too.

We decided to pop down to the bar for a drinky, and the restaurant looked tired and cheap too. Now we've stayed here several times and most of those times were £10 rooms, but we felt quite disappointed at paying nearly £40 for this stay. I wish I'd spent another tenner on a room at the Premier Inn next door

Anyway after our drinks we went to bed around midnight

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Fantasia Sam
Has a WDW secret
Is watched by the TF...

Oh how cool to book a holiday that quick and then fly! I would love to be able to do that! Sorry to hear that the Travelodge was a disappointment, I hope it was the only one of the trip

I'm Sam, here's my old Wedding Report - FantasiaSam FairyTale Wedding Trippy more recent November 2011 Trippy

1996:QI Plaza; 1998:HII IDrive; 2000:QI Plaza; 2001:(x2), Clarion Rosen & HII IDrive; 2002:(x 2), Yacht Club, Swan, AKL; 2003: (x2)-YC, Wonder, CBR, WL, BWV; 2004:(x3), CBR,YC Concierge, Magic, BCV, Pop, Swan, Disney Wedding; 2005:(x3), Magic, WLV, Pop, BW Inn, OKW; 2006:(x3), Magic, BCV, OKW, Dolphin, AKL Concierge, WL Concierge; 2007:GFloridian & SSR; 2008:(x2), BCV & Dolphin; 2009:BCC & Magic Concierge; 2010:(x2), BCV, AKL Concierge, Swan, SSR; 2011:BC Concierge & BCV; 2012:(x2), OKW & Dolphin; 2013:(x2), Magic, YC Concierge OKW
Fantasia Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

What a great surprise trip Mandy. I am so excited to see what you thought of the Fantasy.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
mandymouse

DISboards Moderator

Thursday 3rd May

The alarm woke us up at 6.30am, after a very restless night (we were too excited - lol). After a quick shower we got changed and packed everything away, got in the car and headed for the airport. We parked at the short stay car park at Terminal 2, then headed over to departures. There wasn't a queue at Virgin check-in, so in no time we had handed over our luggage and were taking the escalator up to security

First stop (as always) was brekkie at Frankie & Benny's. I had an omelette and Paul had a full English, and we both had a cup of tea

After our delish breakfast, I ordered a Bucks Fizz, but for some reason she was unable to get me one so we paid the bill and had a glass of wine and pint of lager at the bar opposite

After an hour of chilling and people watching we had a mooch around the duty free, and Paul treated himself to some aftershave and me to some J-Lo perfume

The boarding gate opened around 10.15am, and we were all onboard and pulling away at 11am and on time. The pilot announced that our flight would only be 8 hours & 12 minutes (yay!!!)

Once the seat belt lights were switched off the cabin crew brought a menu round to us which told us what food and drinks we would expect during the flight. The drinks trolley came round and I tried their fruit cocktail with vodka (very nice) and Paul had a lager and we both had a mini bag of pretzels

The movies started, so we both watched Contagion which was quite good. During the movie we had dinner. We both chose chicken in a creamy leek sauce, which also came with a salad and bread roll (also on the menu were sausage & mash, and a penne pasta dish). I had a bacardi & diet coke and Paul had a lager with our meals. Shortly after finishing our dinner and everything was cleared away a chocolate dessert was brought round

Next I watched The Descendants (ok), then a couple of episodes of The Big Bang Theory. I started to watch Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy but I nodded off to sleep and lost the plot (lol) only to wake up when a choccy skinny cow ice lolly was brought round

The flight went quite quick really and an hour or so before landing we had a sandwich and a scone with strawberry jam & clotted cream (Mmm)

We landed at 2.30pm, and immigration was quiet as our flight was the first to arrive. At the time it felt like it went slow, but once through, our bags were waiting for us in the carousel, and we were out of the terminal and driving away in our jeep by 3.30pm

After a little wrong turn, we were on the 528 and on our way to Port Canaveral. It was lovely and sunny and as we approached the port we could see the Disney Dream. We checked into the Ron Jon's resort, quickly dropped our luggage in our suite, got changed and caught the little tram down to the beach, and we arrived at the estuary just as the Dream approached. We took some photos, then headed back to the resort to chill by the pool

After an hour we had a quick shower then drove down to the Ron Jon store in Cocoa Beach. We had a good look round but didn't buy anything, I think we were just so tired and we were trying to last out till at least 9pm (lol). On our way back to the resort we stopped off for a McDonalds, which wasn't very nice, and once back at the resort we had a couple of Rumrunners at the bar before calling it a night

Old 05-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Great start to your trip Mandy. I am looking forward to trying that cocktail in August

How lovely that you were able to get into your shorts and onto the beach on arrival day. That room at Ron Jon's looks huge - we are thinking of staying at port the night before our cruise next year - would you recommend the resort? Do they do a shuttle to port?
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

ooooh Im so excited you have started, loving it so far.....more please

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
scottishgirl87
DIS Veteran

I thought you had disappeared for a while, Mandy, and then I saw a day or 2 ago you mention in another thread you had been away. Was hoping you'd share more details so I'll be subscribing

Can't wait to hear more!
[/center]
scottishgirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
mandymouse

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasia Sam View Post
Oh how cool to book a holiday that quick and then fly! I would love to be able to do that! Sorry to hear that the Travelodge was a disappointment, I hope it was the only one of the trip
It was sad to see the Travelodge look so run down, but if I got £10 rooms, then I'd be there like a flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
What a great surprise trip Mandy. I am so excited to see what you thought of the Fantasy.
Joh, the Fantasy was A-MAZ-ING !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Great start to your trip Mandy. I am looking forward to trying that cocktail in August

How lovely that you were able to get into your shorts and onto the beach on arrival day. That room at Ron Jon's looks huge - we are thinking of staying at port the night before our cruise next year - would you recommend the resort? Do they do a shuttle to port?
We've stayed there 3 times now, in my September trippy we had an even bigger suite. It's a lovely resort, they said we could leave our car there for free and get a cab to the port, but we don't mind parking at the port

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida sun View Post
ooooh Im so excited you have started, loving it so far.....more please
Hopefully there will be more tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishgirl87 View Post
I thought you had disappeared for a while, Mandy, and then I saw a day or 2 ago you mention in another thread you had been away. Was hoping you'd share more details so I'll be subscribing

Can't wait to hear more!
I know it's a bit daft, but I hate posting on here or on Facebook that I'm away if I'm leaving the girls at home, though I really didn't have time to announce anything this time, those 5 days were a bit of a blur

Old 05-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

How exciting! Great start, can't wait to hear more.
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

so glad to see your report - me and Kirsty are enjoying it very much x
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #11
squitty
With a little bit of Pixie Dust
Finds it hard to type with her eyes closed

Lovely start Mandy.

I used to love going on last minute trips..some of our best holidays were like this.

Looking forward to reading more.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
miss_bell
Making Magical Mischief

Great start Mandy, can't wait to hear more!!
1990 - WDW - Motel near Gatorland 1991 - WDW - I Drive 1995 - WDW - Villa 1998 - WDW - Villa 2003 - WDW - Lindfields 2005 - DLRP - Sequioa Lodge 2005 - WDW - Bahama Bay 2006 - DLRP - Newport Bay Hotel 2007 - DLRP - Sequioa Lodge 2008 - WDW - Liki tiki Resort 2009 - WDW - POFQ 2011 - DLRP - Cheyenne 2012 - WDW - OKW 2013 - WDW - Coral Cay2014 - WDW - CBR

miss_bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #13
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Sounds like you had a great time.

Looking forward to further updates of your travels.

Agree with others Ron Jon Resort looks lovely

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
linzdr
Earning My Ears

Fab start! Looking forward to reading some more
linzdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
mandymouse

DISboards Moderator

Friday 4th May

I think we both slept badly. I heard Paul get up around 5am, and when I got up a few minutes later he was taking photos of the Disney Magic from our balcony as she headed back to port. I caught up with my trip report and messaged the girls back home

Around 7am we got showered and changed, then set off to find a Wal-Mart. After getting a few bits & bobs, and a large fruit cup to share (which we ate in the car park), we then called in again at the Ron Jon store, where this time I bought 3 tops (that's more like it, lol), and Paul bought a shirt and t-shirt

This morning we were heading to the Kennedy Space Center, and we were going to do a tour which would take us out to the Vehicle Assembly Building. We arrived at KSC around 10am and our tour was at 10.30am. We reported to where we would be getting the bus, and we were given a brochure and lanyard. Our guide, Ray and our bus driver, Randy, were really good and joked along the way too. We were taken out to various areas of KSC, then to the VAB, where we could go in and take photos (shame there wasn't a Shuttle in there too). After our tour, we did the gantry and the SaturnV exhibition

We really enjoyed this tour, especially as we love anything to do with the Shuttle, so for us it was really worth the extra $25 each on top of the normal KSC admission. After some lunch, we took the bus back to the Visitors Center, then left as it was very busy due to a rocket launch later in the afternoon

Cont'd ..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: