Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #376
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I got a little behind, sorry!

Seriously chair lady- kids don't need chairs, in fact, if the kids were in the chairs, they should have given them up to the adults. That's the way manners should work. Kids have way more energy to stand and way more flexibility to sit on the floor than any adult has. I probably would have given her an earful, but I'm confrontational like that, I also have no problems calling out smokers in non-smoking areas, people touching things at museums, and people using cell phones during movies, among others.

Wow, that meal at Coral Reef looks awesome. We ate there a long time ago, maybe 2005? and really enjoyed it then, glad to see its still living up to expectations. It is one restaurant I'd like to get to with Everett, because I think the tank would easily keep him entertained and make for a very smooth meal.

I'm not a confrontational person, at all, but if DH were there, he would probably have said something. He's like you with the smokers in non-smoking sections. Oh boy does that tick him off!

I never thought of that, but yes, I bet Coral Reef would be an excellent restaurant to go to with a toddler. Instant entertainment without having to pull out the iphone or tablet. Hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind for the future...

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #377
wakica
DIS Veteran

Mmmmmm!! Those desserts looked SOO yummy!! What was on top of the mousse one? It just looked so pretty with the colours and the little beads on top and the pretty lacy thing. I just want to dive into one right now!

Me dh dd(16)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #378
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakica View Post
Mmmmmm!! Those desserts looked SOO yummy!! What was on top of the mousse one? It just looked so pretty with the colours and the little beads on top and the pretty lacy thing. I just want to dive into one right now!

I'm not 100 percent sure about the little beads, but I think they were chocolate. The lacy thing was salted caramel, and I remember it was really good! I took a bite of it, and I thought it went so great with the whole dessert.

Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #379
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

My mouth is watering ... it's a good thing it's lunchtime here!

Seriously, between your mom's dish and The Wave, Coral Reef just shot to the top of my must-try list. Nick doesn't eat seafood, either, but he'd enjoy the steak, and Andrew would love the view!

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #380
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleshoodat View Post
My mouth is watering ... it's a good thing it's lunchtime here!

Seriously, between your mom's dish and The Wave, Coral Reef just shot to the top of my must-try list. Nick doesn't eat seafood, either, but he'd enjoy the steak, and Andrew would love the view!

I was sure Coral Reef wasn't going to be a restaurant I'd want to return to, what with all the seafood and all, but it turned out to be delicious. I think it'll be one of those places we'll eat at again next time we go to WDW.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #381
amazingact21
Upendi

A Random Pregnancy Update

I’m making myself sit down and catch up on my TR this afternoon. I can’t believe how much I’ve been slacking lately! It’s not for lack of Disney enthusiasm, that’s for sure. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. Alex and I are going to WDW for a day next month, and we can’t stop talking about it.

I’m caught in a major dilemma. I feel like since I’ll be in the parks during the holiday season, I should see the castle when its lit up at night, but I don’t want to miss the Osbourne Lights.

I’ve been putting serious thought into my one day trip.

Anyways….I figured I’d catch you all up on the happenings that have been going on in my life this past week. If baby stuff holds no interest for you, right below this post will be a regular TR update, so just scroll on down.

Alex went TDY last week (which is the military’s term for a business trip, only theirs includes ready to eat meals and cots. Bleck). When he got back, Alex had a miraculous 4 days off. Now, let me just say, that is unheard of with Alex’s job. For any important appointments or occasions, my husband usually has to take a day of leave to ensure that he doesn’t get wrangled into some kind of training or meeting.

So, both of us knew an opportunity like this wouldn’t roll around again before the baby was due. (If anyone can remember, we couldn’t even get 3 days off to go to WDW last summer.) Alex is going on another-longer- TDY in February/March area, and with that, we agreed that finding time to go shopping before April was going to be nonexistent.

Therefore, last weekend, we headed to the nearest:

Which is in Mobile (about 2 hours away from us). Alex and I saw this as one of our last few out of town trips we’d have, so we made a day of it. Going out to eat for lunch and dinner, shopping at the nearby mall, and taking our time getting back home. By the end of it I was exhausted, but the trip was pretty productive.

Alex and I before heading into Babies R Us for what turned out be 4 hours!

We looked at everything, and I swear, Alex tried out 80% of the strollers and carseats.

It might be sad, but one of our conversations went like this:

“Okay, we have to look at storage space.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you gotta think, when we’re in Disney, we are going to have a diaper bag, a regular bag, our camera, ponchos, etc. We have to make sure it’ll all fit.”

Another discussion went:

“Check how well it maneuvers…remember we don’t want to be that couple that knocks all the display toys off the shelves in the Emporium.”

I’m sure we sounded nuts to anyone who overheard, but it was important to make sure we had Disney-ready equipment.

By the end of our trip, our trunk looked like this:

The following day, we spent going to the movies and eating dinner with my family, and then on Monday, Alex set up all our goods.

I couldn’t be more excited about our Playard.

It’s Lion King themed!!!

My favorite Disney film made accessible for decorating….everyone who’s on my facebook knows I freaked out when I discovered this. Needless to say, my nursery will be Lion King themed. My grandmother is making all the crib bedding, and I can’t wait to buy the material to match all my Lion King items.

Originally, we’d bought the Lion King swing/bouncer, but on the way home that night, a coworker texted us and offered us her old one. And when you can get something for free, that’s always the best.

We also bought our stroller/car seat adapter that day. Alex and I debated between 3 different brands for a good hour, until we finally settled on a City Mini.

I gotta say, I haven’t even had this kid yet, and I already love this stroller. We were torn between this one and the B-Agile, but in the end this one won out for several reasons.

1) It’s the tallest stroller we could find, and Alex is a giant. All the other strollers he had to bend over to move.

2) The easiest maneuverability. And like I said, I have to make sure it’ll work in Disney.

3) It folds up into virtually nothing. And Alex and I both have cars, so we needed the least bulky we could find. Even with the wheels on we can shove it in our trunks, no problem.

4) It’s lightweight! Now, I’m probably the weakest person you’ll meet when it comes to upper body strength. I can run 3 miles no problem, but ask me to do 3 pushups, and I can’t. Sad, I know, but true…so this was literally the only stroller that I could fold up one-handed and pick up without struggling. That alone makes it a winner.

Okay, okay, I went on wayyyy longer than I planned on with baby talk. I apologize. Here’s a picture of my itsy bitsy belly to add some variety to the update:

Why, hello, Epcot’s 30th birthday tshirt, I see you there!

The only other exciting thing going on right now is that we find out on the 4th what the gender is, which will be great. There’s a big tally going between family and friends, and I can’t wait to see who ended up right or wrong. (Alex and I differ on our guesses, so one of us will be able to gloat over the other.)

All right…now what everyone really opened this page for, a TR update!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #382
amazingact21
Upendi

Our Good Luck Couldn't Last Forever

May 7th Night:

The last time I updated, I left off with my mom, Alex, and I finishing off a delicious meal at Coral Reef, then heading back to our room at Sports to escape the brutal heat. The three of us ended up napping from 2-4 that afternoon, which was wonderful. The sun had really worn us out, and we all needed a chance to cool off and regroup.

My mom and I went for a brief swim, showered off, and then we drove back to Epcot at six that evening.

Somehow, ( I cannot for the life of me remember when we picked them) we had 6:25pm Fastpasses to use.

Where to?

Where else?

Why, Soarin’ of course! My mom was able to experience her new favorite ride 3 times that day. Which was a complete first for her. Prior to this, my mother was a hesitant FP user. I’m pretty sure she knew what they were, because I vaguely remember we picked up FPs for my father and brother for Test Track once, but I don’t know if she knew how the system worked completely. Meaning, the whole, you can get more after 2 hours or when the original tickets are up rule, or the overall amount of time it cuts out of standing by in the regular queue.

Either way, we hit up Soarin’ really fast, then decided to head over to the World Showcase. After all, we had yet to enter that part of the park earlier that morning; it was about time we ventured over.

Crossing the bridge into Canada, however, the three of us looked skywards and realized that the black clouds rolling in weren’t playing around. We were about to be hit with some heavy rain.

And, naturally, at that moment, I remembered what I’d forgotten to pick up in the week leading up to our trip.

Anyone wanna take a guess?

If you said ponchos, then you, my friend, win the big money prize.

Ugh.

I couldn’t believe I’d let that one slip.

I told everyone to walk towards the International Gateway; the plan for that night was to eat at the Beach Club, and I was hoping we could make it to the resort before the heavens opened up.

Sadly, that was not the case. The rain began all at once, and my mom, Alex, and I had to rush inside the gift shop next to the Gateway before we got soaked.

I didn’t want to, but standing inside the shop, I resigned myself to the fact that I’d have to cough up the 8.50 and buy a Disney poncho.

Blegh. There’s lots of other items I would rather have bought with my 8.50. A nice pin, for example. Or a Dole Whip. Perhaps even an antenna topper. Definitely not a piece of plastic.

My mother ended up buying one, as well, which helped ease my pain. At least I wasn’t the only one shelling out money on these uncomfortable little covers. Alex was stubborn and just asked the CM working for a large shopping bag that he could put the camera and his phone inside to keep dry. He wasn’t worried about a little rain in the least.

With ponchos over the womenfolk, I said they we should all still head to the Beach Club and hope the rain passes over the area while we eat.

Nobody objected, so off we went.

This was the first time Alex and I had ventured through the International Gateway, (another first for us that day!) and Alex became thrilled with the walk. He never realized just how close the Beach Club is to Epcot, or the fact that it has its own pathway with a walk that’s not bad at all. (When it’s not pouring rain, that is.)

So now Alex is adamant that we stay at the Beach Club at some point. I don’t know what him or my mom, for that matter, would do being in such close proximity to Test Track and Epcot restaurants. I think it’d be one of Alex’s all time favorite trips.

After about a ten minute walk (my mom and I were wearing flip flops and were therefore going super slow, in fear of slipping face planting on the sidewalk) we made it inside the Beach Club.

Trying to show my mom how cool Stormalong Bay is through the windows.

The resort was pretty dead at that time of the evening, which sort of surprised me, being so close to Cape May and all.

Speaking of Cape May, I’d had as much seafood as I could stand that day, so our dinner destination was not, in fact, that particular food joint.

Ours involved little to no actual food (we were all still pretty stuffed) and lots of dessert delicacies.

Oh, yes, my beloved Beaches and Cream.

I adore this place, and told Alex that if we ever did stay at the resort, I’d have to eat here every day. Terrible, I know, but I just love their ice cream.

(Poor Alex, when we were in Epcot for our weekend trip, I made him go to Beaches and Cream for a sundae, and how could he say no to my crazy pregnancy cravings???)

The restaurant wasn’t busy at all (I don’t know what was up with the place that night. I guess everyone was tucked away in their room, waiting out the rain.) so we were immediately seated in a booth.

I pointed out some of the cooler decorations to my mom while we waited to for someone to take our drink orders.

Because there were 3 of us, and I wanted to really go big on this trip, I had gotten my mom and Alex on board with us trying something while there.

The adventure began with us three splitting a turkey sandwich and fries.

The amount was perfect for us, because we weren’t that hungry, and we wanted to leave plenty of room for the main course.

Which was???

The Kitchen Sink!

Smiles all around for ice cream!

I had shown the kitchen sink to my mom and explained that it was meant for 4 people, and we kind of went, “Why the heck not?”

When we ordered, I had to specify to our server that I was allergic to strawberries, and he worked so well with me. He was over-vigilent about making sure I didn’t accidently get any and have a reaction. He came back to our table 3 different times to let me know that mine was being made specifically without strawberries. Nobody could call that guy careless…

I didn’t realize it, but the Kitchen Sink actually takes quite a while to be prepared, so the three of us had about fifteen minutes to kill. We sat around and goofed off, and I became increasingly more nervous.

You see, I wanted to try the Kitchen Sink to cross it off my Disney To-Do list, but I was also dreading the moment it would arrive.

I hate having attention drawn to me. Hate it, hate it hate it. And when the Kitchen Sink is brought out, the restaurant dims its lights and the whole place listens to the spewl about the little piggies at the table attempting to eat the dish.

Ugh.

It took away about 90% of the fun of ordering such a crazy dish by knowing every single person would KNOW I was eating such a mad-sized concoction.

Like, who wants that advertised and pointed out?

So, I was dreading that part of the night….

Alex had the camera in his plastic bag, and therefore had control of the pictures while we sat around and chatted. It reminded me why I’m usually the photographer in the group.

We end up with silly pictures like:

Can you tell I’m already embarrassed?

And:

Eventually, the inevitable happened and whole spewl occurred. Our CM arriving with the “sink:”

Me, hiding my face throughout the whole show:

I really don’t understand why they have to do that….

When the sirens and strobe lights had disappeared and everything was back to normal, we got to admire the craziness at our table.

The Kitchen Sink:

(Someone at an adjoining table actually asked us if he could take a picture to send to someone back home.)

Our server was really nice and offered to take a picture of all of us.

Once all the pictures were taken, we dug in!

And, now, for my final thought on the dish. It was fun to be able to say we ordered the Kitchen Sink and attempted to eat the madness, but as far as taste goes, it wasn’t that great.

You see, every bite was like a mystery. One time I got licorice in my bite, the next I got cake, and then I ended up with a brownie piece. Since there was melted ice cream and whipped cream everywhere, you really couldn’t see what you were getting with each bite, and all those flavors mixed together was just too much for my mom and I.

Maybe if I go with another large group in the future, I might order the Sink again, but the sundaes at Beach and Cream are too good to pass up again.

At the end of our meal, the dish looked like:

The top layers were a lot of whipped cream, which is why it looks like we ate a lot more than we actually did. I think I had 2 scoops, my mom had 1, and Alex might’ve made it to 3.

Such ice cream slackers…

Our server told us when he brought the check that the problem with the dish is, you always want to see if you can make it farther the next time you try. He said he’s gotten the dish 3 times and made it a little farther down each time.

We’ll see…

By that point, all of us were on such a sugar high, none of us minded much that it was still raining outside.

I went back for one more bite:

Then we headed out.

And if you can believe it, I actually had a second dumb moment that day.

Call me crazy, but when I buy shirts and such, I always get ones that have the design or print on the front. Rarely do I get something that’s on the back.

Well, these gosh darn 8 dollars and 50 cents ponchos had the little Walt Disney World logo on the back. And I didn’t look before I threw it on.

I was pumped up with sugar and knew we had about 20 minutes to get back to World Showcase for IllumiNations. I was in a hurry and wasn’t thinking about poncho designs.

So, I threw that sucker on, and, mind you, it was still wet from the previous wear, and stuck my arms through the arm holes and tried to get my head through, and WHATTHEHECK?

The stupid thing was on backwards, and the darn hood was stuck on my forehead and wet hair and I couldn't pull the thing around my body because wet plastic doesn’t exactly slide easily.

So while I’m standing there, trying to and failing miserably to fix this colossal fail on my part, Alex, my mom, and the CM at the Beaches and Cream check-in desk are dying with laughter. I mean, rolling on the ground, tears streaming down their faces, laughing.

And the more I fought with the stupid piece of wet plastic the more tangled it got in my clothes and bigger the mess I made of myself. I looked like a fish trying to swim through the ocean....

Now, remember, not a half hour ago, I was being succumbed to unwanted attention in the restaurant, and now here I was, receiving even more by CMs and passing resort guests.

Utter mortification.

Alex could tell the moment I turned from seriously peeved/disgruntled poncho owner to emotional mess that was being laughed at by total strangers and came to my rescue. He grabbed hold of the whole thing and yanked it off, then helped put it on the right way.

UGH, UGH, UGH.

Not my finest moment at Disney, at all. I wanted to get out of there and go hide under a rock as quickly as possible. The CM who was joining in on the laughter made a real smart-elleck comment to me, which made me question my competence as an adult thinker and become a little shocked at his nerve, but Alex made a very short reply back, which shut the guy up, and we all left. (My mother was still in fits at that point. It was nice to learn my mother had no qualms about laughing at my expense…)

With that whole fiasco behind me, I focused on getting us back into Epcot and finding out if IllumiNations was still a go. I wouldn’t have thought so, what with all the rain and wind, but I was proven wrong.

The three of us ventured around World Showcase, because Alex wanted to try and use up his last snack credits in Karamel Kuche before they closed. He had about five minutes to get to the store, and not surprisingly, he didn’t make it.

My mom and I found spots near the railing in Germany once IllumiNations began, and Alex joined us shortly afterwards. Since it was still drizzling, I couldn’t take any pictures of the show, which was a first for me.

It drove me nuts for about the first half of the show, but then I relaxed and enjoyed being hands free. It was definitely strange not to take photographs while I watched, but I did like the fact that I got the opportunity to watch it uninterrupted with Alex and my mom.

Once the show was over, we took our sweet time heading back to Future World. The inevitable had come, and I was becoming very sad.

It was time for Alex to head back to his parent’s house and for the mother/daughter portion of the trip to begin.

I guess due to the rain, the crowds were really low, so the three of us just soaked in the beauty of the World Showcase at night, looking at all the closed shops and listening to the post-IllumiNations music.

That part of the night fell into one my favorite parts of the trip, simply because it was so nice being in an empty Epcot. I’d never experienced it without the mad post-nighttime show rush, and deciding to take our time made it so relaxing and enjoyable.

When we reached Future World, it came as no big surprise when Alex asked to run into MouseGears. We are talking about Alex, after all.

We ended up spending about an hour in there, looking around. I was fine with it, because I didn’t want to part with my Disney buddy. I could tell my mom was more than ready to get to bed, though, so I pulled Alex out and we walked to the front of the park.

I said my goodbyes to Alex, told him to call me when he got to his destination, and to make the long drive back home safely.

He headed towards the parking lot, and my mom and I hooked a left and went to the buses. There was a good sized line when we got there, but we managed to get a seat on the second bus that showed up, and before we knew it we were back in our room, ready for bed.

Having Alex leave halfway through the trip was terrible, and I don’t think I’d do it again anytime soon, but I was excited to see how my mom and I would fare in Disney just us girls.

Up Next….You’re So Directionally Challenged, Sweetie.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #383
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

A LION KING THEMED NURSERY?!?!! That is PERFECT.

Oh man, the Kitchen Sink. I know it well. We did it with five people and we still couldn't finish! Also, our waitress gave us all individual bowls to make it easier for us. You got a bite of licorice? EW! There was none of that in ours! Haha ANYWAYS, at least now you can say you've tried it! It's so fun.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #384
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
A LION KING THEMED NURSERY?!?!! That is PERFECT.

Oh man, the Kitchen Sink. I know it well. We did it with five people and we still couldn't finish! Also, our waitress gave us all individual bowls to make it easier for us. You got a bite of licorice? EW! There was none of that in ours! Haha ANYWAYS, at least now you can say you've tried it! It's so fun.

I was insanely excited when I discovered a bunch of Lion King items. My poor kid has no chance at NOT being a Disney nuts.

The Kitchen Sink is fun to try, but you definitely need a lot of people for it. It makes even an ice cream fanatic like myself (I can put down a good chunk of ice cream if I'm hungry enough) look like a wimp.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #385
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21
May 7th Night:

The last time I updated, I left off with my mom, Alex, and I finishing off a delicious meal at Coral Reef, then heading back to our room at Sports to escape the brutal heat. The three of us ended up napping from 2-4 that afternoon, which was wonderful. The sun had really worn us out, and we all needed a chance to cool off and regroup.

My mom and I went for a brief swim, showered off, and then we drove back to Epcot at six that evening.

Somehow, ( I cannot for the life of me remember when we picked them) we had 6:25pm Fastpasses to use.

Where to?

Where else?

Why, Soarin’ of course! My mom was able to experience her new favorite ride 3 times that day. Which was a complete first for her. Prior to this, my mother was a hesitant FP user. I’m pretty sure she knew what they were, because I vaguely remember we picked up FPs for my father and brother for Test Track once, but I don’t know if she knew how the system worked completely. Meaning, the whole, you can get more after 2 hours or when the original tickets are up rule, or the overall amount of time it cuts out of standing by in the regular queue.

Either way, we hit up Soarin’ really fast, then decided to head over to the World Showcase. After all, we had yet to enter that part of the park earlier that morning; it was about time we ventured over.

Crossing the bridge into Canada, however, the three of us looked skywards and realized that the black clouds rolling in weren’t playing around. We were about to be hit with some heavy rain.

And, naturally, at that moment, I remembered what I’d forgotten to pick up in the week leading up to our trip.

Anyone wanna take a guess?

If you said ponchos, then you, my friend, win the big money prize.

Ugh.

I couldn’t believe I’d let that one slip.

I told everyone to walk towards the International Gateway; the plan for that night was to eat at the Beach Club, and I was hoping we could make it to the resort before the heavens opened up.

Sadly, that was not the case. The rain began all at once, and my mom, Alex, and I had to rush inside the gift shop next to the Gateway before we got soaked.

I didn’t want to, but standing inside the shop, I resigned myself to the fact that I’d have to cough up the 8.50 and buy a Disney poncho.

Blegh. There’s lots of other items I would rather have bought with my 8.50. A nice pin, for example. Or a Dole Whip. Perhaps even an antenna topper. Definitely not a piece of plastic.

My mother ended up buying one, as well, which helped ease my pain. At least I wasn’t the only one shelling out money on these uncomfortable little covers. Alex was stubborn and just asked the CM working for a large shopping bag that he could put the camera and his phone inside to keep dry. He wasn’t worried about a little rain in the least.

With ponchos over the womenfolk, I said they we should all still head to the Beach Club and hope the rain passes over the area while we eat.

Nobody objected, so off we went.

This was the first time Alex and I had ventured through the International Gateway, (another first for us that day!) and Alex became thrilled with the walk. He never realized just how close the Beach Club is to Epcot, or the fact that it has its own pathway with a walk that’s not bad at all. (When it’s not pouring rain, that is.)

So now Alex is adamant that we stay at the Beach Club at some point. I don’t know what him or my mom, for that matter, would do being in such close proximity to Test Track and Epcot restaurants. I think it’d be one of Alex’s all time favorite trips.

After about a ten minute walk (my mom and I were wearing flip flops and were therefore going super slow, in fear of slipping face planting on the sidewalk) we made it inside the Beach Club.

Trying to show my mom how cool Stormalong Bay is through the windows.

The resort was pretty dead at that time of the evening, which sort of surprised me, being so close to Cape May and all.

Speaking of Cape May, I’d had as much seafood as I could stand that day, so our dinner destination was not, in fact, that particular food joint.

Ours involved little to no actual food (we were all still pretty stuffed) and lots of dessert delicacies.

Oh, yes, my beloved Beaches and Cream.

I adore this place, and told Alex that if we ever did stay at the resort, I’d have to eat here every day. Terrible, I know, but I just love their ice cream.

(Poor Alex, when we were in Epcot for our weekend trip, I made him go to Beaches and Cream for a sundae, and how could he say no to my crazy pregnancy cravings???)

The restaurant wasn’t busy at all (I don’t know what was up with the place that night. I guess everyone was tucked away in their room, waiting out the rain.) so we were immediately seated in a booth.

I pointed out some of the cooler decorations to my mom while we waited to for someone to take our drink orders.

Because there were 3 of us, and I wanted to really go big on this trip, I had gotten my mom and Alex on board with us trying something while there.

The adventure began with us three splitting a turkey sandwich and fries.

The amount was perfect for us, because we weren’t that hungry, and we wanted to leave plenty of room for the main course.

Which was???

The Kitchen Sink!

Smiles all around for ice cream!

I had shown the kitchen sink to my mom and explained that it was meant for 4 people, and we kind of went, “Why the heck not?”

When we ordered, I had to specify to our server that I was allergic to strawberries, and he worked so well with me. He was over-vigilent about making sure I didn’t accidently get any and have a reaction. He came back to our table 3 different times to let me know that mine was being made specifically without strawberries. Nobody could call that guy careless…

I didn’t realize it, but the Kitchen Sink actually takes quite a while to be prepared, so the three of us had about fifteen minutes to kill. We sat around and goofed off, and I became increasingly more nervous.

You see, I wanted to try the Kitchen Sink to cross it off my Disney To-Do list, but I was also dreading the moment it would arrive.

I hate having attention drawn to me. Hate it, hate it hate it. And when the Kitchen Sink is brought out, the restaurant dims its lights and the whole place listens to the spewl about the little piggies at the table attempting to eat the dish.

Ugh.

It took away about 90% of the fun of ordering such a crazy dish by knowing every single person would KNOW I was eating such a mad-sized concoction.

Like, who wants that advertised and pointed out?

So, I was dreading that part of the night….

Alex had the camera in his plastic bag, and therefore had control of the pictures while we sat around and chatted. It reminded me why I’m usually the photographer in the group.

We end up with silly pictures like:

Can you tell I’m already embarrassed?

And:

Eventually, the inevitable happened and whole spewl occurred. Our CM arriving with the “sink:”

Me, hiding my face throughout the whole show:

I really don’t understand why they have to do that….

When the sirens and strobe lights had disappeared and everything was back to normal, we got to admire the craziness at our table.

The Kitchen Sink:

(Someone at an adjoining table actually asked us if he could take a picture to send to someone back home.)

Our server was really nice and offered to take a picture of all of us.

Once all the pictures were taken, we dug in!

And, now, for my final thought on the dish. It was fun to be able to say we ordered the Kitchen Sink and attempted to eat the madness, but as far as taste goes, it wasn’t that great.

You see, every bite was like a mystery. One time I got licorice in my bite, the next I got cake, and then I ended up with a brownie piece. Since there was melted ice cream and whipped cream everywhere, you really couldn’t see what you were getting with each bite, and all those flavors mixed together was just too much for my mom and I.

Maybe if I go with another large group in the future, I might order the Sink again, but the sundaes at Beach and Cream are too good to pass up again.

At the end of our meal, the dish looked like:

The top layers were a lot of whipped cream, which is why it looks like we ate a lot more than we actually did. I think I had 2 scoops, my mom had 1, and Alex might’ve made it to 3.

Such ice cream slackers…

Our server told us when he brought the check that the problem with the dish is, you always want to see if you can make it farther the next time you try. He said he’s gotten the dish 3 times and made it a little farther down each time.

We’ll see…

By that point, all of us were on such a sugar high, none of us minded much that it was still raining outside.

I went back for one more bite:

Then we headed out.

And if you can believe it, I actually had a second dumb moment that day.

Call me crazy, but when I buy shirts and such, I always get ones that have the design or print on the front. Rarely do I get something that’s on the back.

Well, these gosh darn 8 dollars and 50 cents ponchos had the little Walt Disney World logo on the back. And I didn’t look before I threw it on.

I was pumped up with sugar and knew we had about 20 minutes to get back to World Showcase for IllumiNations. I was in a hurry and wasn’t thinking about poncho designs.

So, I threw that sucker on, and, mind you, it was still wet from the previous wear, and stuck my arms through the arm holes and tried to get my head through, and WHATTHEHECK?

The stupid thing was on backwards, and the darn hood was stuck on my forehead and wet hair and I couldn't pull the thing around my body because wet plastic doesn’t exactly slide easily.

So while I’m standing there, trying to and failing miserably to fix this colossal fail on my part, Alex, my mom, and the CM at the Beaches and Cream check-in desk are dying with laughter. I mean, rolling on the ground, tears streaming down their faces, laughing.

And the more I fought with the stupid piece of wet plastic the more tangled it got in my clothes and bigger the mess I made of myself. I looked like a fish trying to swim through the ocean....

Now, remember, not a half hour ago, I was being succumbed to unwanted attention in the restaurant, and now here I was, receiving even more by CMs and passing resort guests.

Utter mortification.

Alex could tell the moment I turned from seriously peeved/disgruntled poncho owner to emotional mess that was being laughed at by total strangers and came to my rescue. He grabbed hold of the whole thing and yanked it off, then helped put it on the right way.

UGH, UGH, UGH.

Not my finest moment at Disney, at all. I wanted to get out of there and go hide under a rock as quickly as possible. The CM who was joining in on the laughter made a real smart-elleck comment to me, which made me question my competence as an adult thinker and become a little shocked at his nerve, but Alex made a very short reply back, which shut the guy up, and we all left. (My mother was still in fits at that point. It was nice to learn my mother had no qualms about laughing at my expense…)

With that whole fiasco behind me, I focused on getting us back into Epcot and finding out if IllumiNations was still a go. I wouldn’t have thought so, what with all the rain and wind, but I was proven wrong.

The three of us ventured around World Showcase, because Alex wanted to try and use up his last snack credits in Karamel Kuche before they closed. He had about five minutes to get to the store, and not surprisingly, he didn’t make it.

My mom and I found spots near the railing in Germany once IllumiNations began, and Alex joined us shortly afterwards. Since it was still drizzling, I couldn’t take any pictures of the show, which was a first for me.

It drove me nuts for about the first half of the show, but then I relaxed and enjoyed being hands free. It was definitely strange not to take photographs while I watched, but I did like the fact that I got the opportunity to watch it uninterrupted with Alex and my mom.

Once the show was over, we took our sweet time heading back to Future World. The inevitable had come, and I was becoming very sad.

It was time for Alex to head back to his parent’s house and for the mother/daughter portion of the trip to begin.

I guess due to the rain, the crowds were really low, so the three of us just soaked in the beauty of the World Showcase at night, looking at all the closed shops and listening to the post-IllumiNations music.

That part of the night fell into one my favorite parts of the trip, simply because it was so nice being in an empty Epcot. I’d never experienced it without the mad post-nighttime show rush, and deciding to take our time made it so relaxing and enjoyable.

When we reached Future World, it came as no big surprise when Alex asked to run into MouseGears. We are talking about Alex, after all.

We ended up spending about an hour in there, looking around. I was fine with it, because I didn’t want to part with my Disney buddy. I could tell my mom was more than ready to get to bed, though, so I pulled Alex out and we walked to the front of the park.

I said my goodbyes to Alex, told him to call me when he got to his destination, and to make the long drive back home safely.

He headed towards the parking lot, and my mom and I hooked a left and went to the buses. There was a good sized line when we got there, but we managed to get a seat on the second bus that showed up, and before we knew it we were back in our room, ready for bed.

Having Alex leave halfway through the trip was terrible, and I don’t think I’d do it again anytime soon, but I was excited to see how my mom and I would fare in Disney just us girls.

Up Next….You’re So Directionally Challenged, Sweetie.
Please forgive me for quoting your whole update. I am reading on my phone. How dud I miss this update when I have been checking for days

This was so funny. The whole kitchen sink to the poncho. You guys did good. I am impressed I forgot about the whole applause thing

Getting caught in the poncho is something I would do. Or laugh at someone else like you mom did. I can just picture Alex coming to the rescue. So sad he had to leave

Great update!

Edited to say that the above dialogue shows I should NEVER respond from my phone in the dark while riding in a car. I'll do better next time. I promise!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL

Last edited by MEK; 11-19-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #386
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Can I just say that I am insanely jealous that you bought the lion king pack n play!

When I discovered my pack n play snafu, I almost went out and bought it myself, but I just couldn't justify it, knowing that I have a perfectly good pack n play in storage in VA. I did end up finding a substitute cheap on craigslist, but its not Disney

I also LOVE the disney lion king nursery stuff, I'm thinking that is what we are going to choose when we get to VA and into our new house. Its a tough choice between that and the Nemo theme though!

Oh and good choice on stroller, I think you guys are going to like the city mini, and it is a great choice for Disney!

Yum, the kitchen sink! I've only had one once and it was good, but got melty really fast! Someday I'd love to do that with my two boys, I figure when they are teenagers they'll be able to polish the whole thing off with no trouble at all!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #387
MEK
DIS Veteran

I just went back and read your update on your Babies R Us visit. Did you leave anything for your shower? That Pack N Play is so cute. I swear, baby stuff is way cuter than when I had my kids. All those cool strollers. Its so great that they finally figured out that most of the old ones were terrible. I actually ended up with a baby jogger which was wonderful because I ran with my kids all the time. But the sucker was a PITA to travel with.

So are you going to have a gender reveal party? That seems to be the big thing these days.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
Old 11-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #388
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Ahhhh the Lion King playard is PERFECT!!!!

You are looking absolutely gorgeous by the way!!

Oh the good old Disney rainstorm!

Wow the kitchen sink sounds intense! I love my ice cream but I don't know about all the mixing of everything!

Your poncho story made me laugh so hard!!! Oh my goodness, it is totally something I would have done... especially if a lot of people were watching!

It sounds like you guys had such a lovely night- even if it was bittersweet with Alex leaving.

I love a slightly soggy deserted Epcot
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #389
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Please forgive me for quoting your whole update. I am reading on my phone. How dud I miss this update when I have been checking for days

This was so funny. The whole kitchen sink to the poncho. You guys did good. I am impressed I forgot about the whole applause thing

Getting caught in the poncho is something I would do. Or laugh at someone else like you mom did. I can just picture Alex coming to the rescue. So sad he had to leave

Great update!

Edited to say that the above dialogue shows I should NEVER respond from my phone in the dark while riding in a car. I'll do better next time. I promise!

The poncho incident was so embarrassing, I felt like an idiot. But it makes for great stories later on, and my mom had a ball of a time laughing at me, so I suppose it was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Can I just say that I am insanely jealous that you bought the lion king pack n play!

When I discovered my pack n play snafu, I almost went out and bought it myself, but I just couldn't justify it, knowing that I have a perfectly good pack n play in storage in VA. I did end up finding a substitute cheap on craigslist, but its not Disney

I also LOVE the disney lion king nursery stuff, I'm thinking that is what we are going to choose when we get to VA and into our new house. Its a tough choice between that and the Nemo theme though!

Oh and good choice on stroller, I think you guys are going to like the city mini, and it is a great choice for Disney!

Yum, the kitchen sink! I've only had one once and it was good, but got melty really fast! Someday I'd love to do that with my two boys, I figure when they are teenagers they'll be able to polish the whole thing off with no trouble at all!

I love all the Lion King nursery items. Originally, we were just going to do safari animals, to try and keep Disney to a minimum, but the second I discovered that Pack & Play, I threw that idea out the window.

The Kitchen Sink does melt really fast! That's another reason why I enjoy the sundaes a bit more. I bet you'll have no problem emptying that dish with two teenage boys! I grew up with two brothers; they're like garbage disposals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I just went back and read your update on your Babies R Us visit. Did you leave anything for your shower? That Pack N Play is so cute. I swear, baby stuff is way cuter than when I had my kids. All those cool strollers. Its so great that they finally figured out that most of the old ones were terrible. I actually ended up with a baby jogger which was wonderful because I ran with my kids all the time. But the sucker was a PITA to travel with.

So are you going to have a gender reveal party? That seems to be the big thing these days.

We only bought two of the things that we wouldn't ask other people to get for us. That stroller was insanely pricey for what it is. Alex wants to get back into runDisney events soon, so he's been talking about how great I'll be at running with the baby in the stroller.... He's definitely thinking Wine and Dine next year.

We are trying to figure out a way to do a gender reveal that will include everyone. All Alex's immediate family lives 7 hours away, as is all our cousins and aunts and uncles, etc, and my brother is in Nebraska. Even our best friends aren't close by. So we've got to get creative with Skype and my paren'ts house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
Ahhhh the Lion King playard is PERFECT!!!!

You are looking absolutely gorgeous by the way!!

Oh the good old Disney rainstorm!

Wow the kitchen sink sounds intense! I love my ice cream but I don't know about all the mixing of everything!

Your poncho story made me laugh so hard!!! Oh my goodness, it is totally something I would have done... especially if a lot of people were watching!

It sounds like you guys had such a lovely night- even if it was bittersweet with Alex leaving.

I love a slightly soggy deserted Epcot
Thanks, most days I'm styling it up in sweats and a tshirt, though. I'm so lazy...

The Kitchen Sink was a little much. It melted way too quickly and hid all the candy that was mixed in. I have decided I prefer one blending taste combo in my ice cream.

That poncho.....teach me to pay more attention the next time I put it on.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #390
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Hahaha good for you guys for attempting the kitchen sink! I don't think I would like the mystery of each bite. I tend to like to know exactly what I'm biting into. I can't believe they make a big deal when you order! Oh my, another reason I probably never will.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: