Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #331
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I absolutely adore the Magic Kingdom at night. I actually prefer most of the Disney parks at night. They have this kind of magic about them after the sun sets.

You are so right...you NEVER get Peter Pan with that empty of a line.

That's weird about the tram though. I've never heard of that happening before.

It really sounds like it was a great ending to a great day.

I do, too. Mostly because the sun isn't beating down on you like it is during the day, but I actually do feel like it's more fun. Where else can you ride a coaster in the middle of the night??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Those 3am pictures of the Magic Kingdom are pretty amazing. Wow! They really are magical.

Score on the empty Peter Pan's flight. I wouldn't be able to pass that up either.

Note to self: Do not leave car in Heros lot if I ever attend EMH to 3am!

Yeah, it's weird that they shut the trams down, but at least they were nice enough to offer rides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakica View Post
LOL, wow, I can't beleive you only took 150 pics on your trip. I'm thinking it might be a whole different kind of fun not hassling with the camera all the time though hey??

Also amazed you made it to the end of EMH night!! WOW!!! But good for you and glad you did it and had such a good time. I agree with you - it's HARD to pass by a ride and not stop when there is next to no line!!! I mean - how often does that happen????? lol

I was surprised by how little I picked up my camera on that trip, but I will say, it was kind of nice not to have to stop and get that "perfect photo." Plus, this trip was more about taking it easy and revisiting places I loved, so I knew we'd already had a million photos of said spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Aww, your whole night sounds like it was such an awesome memory. I'm glad yall will have that to look back on!

That's really weird about the trams! Hahaha, who knew? At least they don't just make you walk, because that would just be mean.

If I had to walk all the way out to my car after storming MK for 3 hours, I would've cried. Cruelty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
What a great night at MK, I only made it to the end of EMH once, it was pretty magical. I love looking at everything with the sun down and the lights on, gives everything a whole new slant!
And no wait at Peter Pan!? Wow, I would have stopped too!
How funny that your tram stopped because there were no cars left in the lot!

The empty Peter Pan queue was so surprising; I couldn't believe I didn't have to wait at least a few minutes for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
I was sorry to read that you got sick during your weekend...

but I'm glad you got a chance to get away... you're future trips are going to be different for quite a while... awesome but different...

(btw it's a little hard to get used to be pregnant... especially when you're in good shape and used to be able to go, go, go... I remember crushing fatigue and lots of ummm...morning sickness which wasn't always in the morning... but a lot of woman get a real lift in the second trimester -and the nausea and fatigue subside and you feel awesome ... ummm until towards the end...but through months 4 through 7 you can be super productive......)

Your nighttime pictures of MK are really special... I haven't seen many if any of pictures of the park that empty and all lit up... it looks ethereal... what a great memory and

no line for Peter Pan...

I was definitely hit with a big dose of reality this past trip when I became tired way faster than I used to. I've had an amazing pregnancy so far (no morning sickness, no fatigue) that I figured I'd be golden for Disney. But at one point, we had to wait an hour for a bus, then had to stand on it for 30 minutes while we went to DTD, that by the time I got to the shopping center, I couldn't walk from Earl to D-Street. But now I know...

It was really cool to be able to see the MK that late at night and so empty. It's not something you get to do on every trip, so I really appreciated the change of pace. It's a complete 180 from its usual daytime atmosphere.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #332
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Welcome back!

What time did you guys get to Epcot on the 30th? We were there at 5:30, so we probably were near you. I'm really happy we were there early, because did you see that merchandise line! seriously it extended all the way to WS! I'd much rather have waited before the sun came up, when I could just sit on my butt, than wait out there in the heat!

What a wonderful night you guys had! Yes, things will be much different with a little one, and morning EMH may become more your style. It will be just as fun, just different!

I'm glad you guys had such a magical night!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #334
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Welcome back!

What time did you guys get to Epcot on the 30th? We were there at 5:30, so we probably were near you. I'm really happy we were there early, because did you see that merchandise line! seriously it extended all the way to WS! I'd much rather have waited before the sun came up, when I could just sit on my butt, than wait out there in the heat!

What a wonderful night you guys had! Yes, things will be much different with a little one, and morning EMH may become more your style. It will be just as fun, just different!

I'm glad you guys had such a magical night!

We actually got to Epcot around 7:30 and were about 10 people back from the turnstiles. I was kind of surprised at how close to the front we were.

The whole reason Alex wanted to attend the 30th birthday was for the merchandise. He'd been scoping out the selections on-line for weeks!

At one point, while we were waiting to get into MouseGears, a CM told us the line was backed up to Mexico. What?! That's insane. Glad we both missed that craziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Your pictures have me convinced to spend a late evening at the MK....all I can say is wow!
Thank you! It was such a gorgeous night out, the moon was really bright and there were so few crowds that I couldn't pass up the picture opportunities.
If you take a long rest in the evening and take it easy that morning, I'd definitely recommend going into MK late at night at least once. It's a beautiful sight!
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #335
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Love your late night pics of MK!

I've never heard of anyone outlasting the Disney trams! Too funny!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #336
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
Love your late night pics of MK!

I've never heard of anyone outlasting the Disney trams! Too funny!

Yeah, that was a new one for us!

Old 10-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #337
amazingact21
Upendi

The Start of Mom's Favorite Day

May 7th Morning:

If the previous night at MK had been, by far, my favorite part of our vacation, then this day was, without a doubt, my mom’s number 1 pick. Everything we did just got better and better in her eyes, and I don’t think there was anything that was going to bring her down from that Disney high on this particular day.

I had planned for an Epcot morning, which I loved.

I don’t know about anybody else that drives, but Epcot mornings are such a treat for me. The park almost always opens at 9, and it’s the quickest and easiest of all 4 parks to drive to. I’m not sure why, but the road from the All Star resorts to Epcot is simple and painless. You make a left turn once, followed by a merge, you stay to the right, and then before you know it, you’re passing the ticket windows.

I love driving to Epcot. I woke up at 8 o’clock that morning, left at 8:30, and I got us to the parking lot by 8:40am.

My mom was excited to see what my plans unfurled for her, because I’d been hyping this day for awhile. I had this gut feeling she was going to love Soarin’ and I would even have gone so far as to put money down that it’d be her favorite attraction.

While my mom was caught up in the Disney magic, I’d be lying if I said Alex and I were 100% happy. There was this sinking feeling in my stomach that had arrived the night before and had only gotten worse when I woke up.

You see, this was Alex’s last full day with us. At the end of the night, he’d be leaving and driving back to his parent’s house for a few days. The rest of the trip was the Mom & Me portion.

And while I really wanted some mother/daughter time, I was becoming extremely sad at the thought of being in Disney without Alex.

It was going to make everything we did today bittersweet.

If anyone on here has a Disney partner in crime, someone they’ve never been to Disney without, you’ll know how weird it would be to imagine yourself in one of the parks without your Number 2. It just didn’t seem right, but like I mentioned earlier, I knew my mom was going to love this day, and I wasn’t about to rain on her parade with my woe-is-me self.

So, Alex and I agreed to push the looming goodbyes out of our heads for the time being and live in the present moment.

We were about 5 groups back from the turnstiles, which wasn’t bad, but man oh man, was it hot!

Not that these people look like it:

Smiles all around.

Not me, however. I was actually melting onto the sidewalk. In fact, I think that little patch of cement has remnants of the rubber of my shoe on it still. The sun was barely out, and I was already baking.

Turns out May 2012 was nothing like May 2011. The sun was on a rampage that morning, and I knew then and there that I might as well except the fact that I’d be a hot mess.

I lathered on my sunscreen and counted down the minutes until 9 o’clock.

Once the park opened, Alex went ahead of my mom and I to get FPs while we took our time getting to the Land.

Sorcerer Mickey welcomed us to the park and the Flower and Garden Festival:

No time for good shots of the Soarin’ sign!

When my mom and I made it down the stairs to the ride, Alex spotted us and handed over 3 FPs with a return time of 11:15 to 12:15.

Those’ll do.

The plan was to jump in the standby line, but the posted wait time was 70 minutes!!

What?!?!

And, scarily enough, the line actually looked 70 minutes long.

I balked and said we should just skip it, but Alex convinced me to just go ahead and take our chances with the time. My mom sealed the deal with this valid point.

“What else are we doing?”

I was a tad bit grumpy at the thought of waiting in an hour long ride, and I even considered getting out of line a few times. (My mom and Alex told me they’d go on without me.) In the end, though, I sucked it up and stayed.

After all, I was a time card holder, I take that responsibility very seriously:

While we waited in line, we met a very nice couple from Toronto who were on their annual Disney trip. The man loved Soarin’ so much that last year, on their 2 week trip, he rode Soarin’ EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Can you imagine?

Seeing this every day for 14 days?

I couldn’t believe it.

I love Big Thunder, but I don’t know if I could make my way over to the MK everyday just to ride it.

Talk about dedication and commitment.

In the end, I was happy my mom and Alex (and even the Toronto couple) convinced me to stay in the line, because the wait actually ended up only being 30 minutes.

Not great, but no horrible, either.

The three of us got the 2nd row and buckled ourselves into our seats. Then, the show began.

I know there’s Soarin’ lovers and Soarin’ avoiders on here, and I personally am neutral about it. I do love the ride, but I also don’t mind skipping it if time is crunched.

Alex actually gets motion sickness on it, so he would give the attraction a 2 out of 5 stars. (But, I attribute a little bit of his dislike to the fact that his absolute favorite attraction is Test Track, and that was closed so he was left with Soarin’ to get him through the Epcot day.)

My mom, however, now thinks both of us are nuts. She is a Soarin’ die-hard. It’s won her heart and soul. She exited the ride with the biggest smile on her face, and she was talking a mile a minute about her favorite scenes and how brilliant the idea was.

I had to take a picture of this moment so I could remember it forever:

Alex and I didn’t look near as giddy:

As we were leaving the Land, my mom made the remark, “You know, that guy had it right. I could ride that every day and be perfectly happy.”

She’d found her happy place, and she was already excited to use our FPs, which weren’t going to be ready for another 90 minutes.

It was unbelievable being able to experience someone else’s happiness, and it made me want to take a bunch of first timers to Disney, just to see their reaction. (I have been working on my father for over a year now. He went 15 years ago, so it’d be like his first time all over again.)

With my mom trailing behind us on Cloud 9, I took all of us over to The Seas with Nemo.

Who else can’t look at this area and not want to shout, “Mine! Mine!” Oh, just me…okay then.

It was only 9:40am, so I was trying to find things to do to kill time until we could go on Soarin’ again.

Turns out this was a good choice.

In the aquarium, the dolphins were in a playful mood and were putting on quite the show for us.

I couldn’t have planned this better if I’d tried. My mom’s favorite animal is the dolphin, and here at home, whenever she needs a pick me up, she goes to our local Gulfarium and watches the dolphin shows.

Here we were, getting to see a different set of dolphins frolic and have a great time. There were several CMs in the viewing room with us, and my mom struck up a conversation with one, who told her a little bit of the backstory on those dolphins. It was like a mini-lecture with an expert.

Of course, I can’t say too much.

Adjacent to the dolphin tank were 2 sea turtles soaking up all the limelight.

Another CM was sitting right in front of the window telling everyone all about the breed, the sizes, their characteristics, etc.

It was all pretty interesting, and I couldn’t help but think of my younger brother at that moment. He loves all things sea life (not surprising at all, his favorite Disney movie is Finding Nemo) and actually wants to major in Marine Biology. I knew he’d have loved getting the chance to talk to that CM.

My mom, Alex, and I stood in that room for a good 20 minutes, watching the animals and listening to all the facts, but then a new group came in and discovered the scene. We felt our turn had ended, and we wanted to give the new arrivals a chance to get a decent view, so we made our way outside.

It was hot as blazes in the direct sunlight, but we couldn’t help but stop for a second a get a picture with all 3 of us together:

Alex had an idea in mind on what he wanted to do next, and with the luck we’d been having so far, we figured anything was up for grabs at the moment.

The morning was still young and we had a lot of Epcot left to explore.

Little did we know the best was yet to come.

Up Next…I Wish We Could Go Again

Old 10-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #338
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Driving to Epcot in the morning is great. I've always gotten really really good parking when I drive over in the AM.

I don't have a Disney number 2 man, because my groups and travel partners normally vary, but I can empathize with the feeling of the impending departure of someone you love going with.

70 minutes already for Soarin'? Carazy! Good thing you only waited around 30 minutes.

Riding Soarin' every day on a 14 day trip? Dude, that takes dedication. And that's dedication I don't have.

I'm glad that your Mom loved Soarin'! But you said, you knew it and would have put money on it.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #339
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Great update! I cannot imagine riding Soarin every single day...I'm like you, if I get on it I get on it, if we skip it ... no big deal!

I love the picture of your mom when you guys got off the ride! I couldn't help but think how bummed you must be with it being your honeys last day there with you!

I am looking forward tho to hearing all about your time with your mom!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #340
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Driving to Epcot in the morning is great. I've always gotten really really good parking when I drive over in the AM.

I don't have a Disney number 2 man, because my groups and travel partners normally vary, but I can empathize with the feeling of the impending departure of someone you love going with.

70 minutes already for Soarin'? Carazy! Good thing you only waited around 30 minutes.

Riding Soarin' every day on a 14 day trip? Dude, that takes dedication. And that's dedication I don't have.

I'm glad that your Mom loved Soarin'! But you said, you knew it and would have put money on it.

Yeah, 14 days straight is a little nuts. I mean, I can't imagine being like, "Okay, So-and-so, we have to get back to Epcot before closing, I gotta get my Soarin' ride in."
"But didn't you ride that the last 7 days?"
"Exactly. Can't break the pattern now!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Great update! I cannot imagine riding Soarin every single day...I'm like you, if I get on it I get on it, if we skip it ... no big deal!

I love the picture of your mom when you guys got off the ride! I couldn't help but think how bummed you must be with it being your honeys last day there with you!

I am looking forward tho to hearing all about your time with your mom!

It was sad knowing Alex wouldn't be there with me (especially since he's my personal GPS. I get so lost without him.) But the time with my mom was really fun, and I'm glad we were able to do it.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #341
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Woah... it's so weird to see Spaceship Earth with a bunch of cars in the foreground.

Aww! So glad your mom loved Soarin' so much! It's a must-do for me, for sure.

You are definitely not alone in the "MINE! MINE!" thing. Promise. Yay for dolphins! They're basically the best.

-Marissa
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #342
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

70 minutes for Soarin' right after rope drop, that would be madness! Glad it only ended up being 30 mins! Your mom looks so happy, what a great memory! I enjoy Soarin' but I wouldn't consider myself a die hard either.

I love Nemo too, especially the aquarium at the end.

Looking forward to where you guys are headed next!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #343
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I love driving to Epcot, it always seems really close!

Awww, I love that your mom was so excited for Epcot, but you and Alex were sad that he was leaving. I've gone to Disney without Brandon when I was a kid, but as an adult, I've only gone with him. I'll be going on my first trip without him when I go with my sister and niece, and while I'm sure it might be strange at first, I can't wait to go with them! Of course I'll miss Brandon, but it's going to be a whole different experience with my sister and niece!

Dude, I could totally ride Soarin' 14 days in a row. No problem!

So glad your mom loved it so much, it's such a fantastic ride!

I think May 7 was the day I almost died in Epcot...I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure we were there, and it was that horribly HOT day!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 10-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #344
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

I always get lost driving to the parks but Epcot is way easier than the rest!
Ok maybe it's not lost, it's more like ending up missing the signs and getting in the wrong lanes and seeing the correct signs when it's too late.

Ahhhhh my mum is the same with Soarin!
I was SO excited to take her to Disneyland a couple of years ago because I knew she would love it! And sure enough we got off and she asked if we were going to do it again and we said we would a bit later on. She then asked if we could meet up later so she could go through single rider a couple of times on her own and then she would call us to find where we were.
She rode 8 times in a row before she called us!

Quote:
After all, I was a time card holder, I take that responsibility very seriously:
Good!! I have a feeling that some of the wildly inaccurate wait times are due to people not taking their responsibility seriously!

Quote:
Who else can’t look at this area and not want to shout, “Mine! Mine!” Oh, just me…okay then.
You're not alone!!!
Same reaction when I was walking past the massive Nemo seagulls at AOA.
It's totally normal to randomly squawk 'MINE' in Disney.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #345
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post

My mom was excited to see what my plans unfurled for her, because I’d been hyping this day for awhile. I had this gut feeling she was going to love Soarin’ and I would even have gone so far as to put money down that it’d be her favorite attraction.

I know there’s Soarin’ lovers and Soarin’ avoiders on here, and I personally am neutral about it. I do love the ride, but I also don’t mind skipping it if time is crunched.

My mom, however, now thinks both of us are nuts. She is a Soarin’ die-hard. It’s won her heart and soul. She exited the ride with the biggest smile on her face, and she was talking a mile a minute about her favorite scenes and how brilliant the idea was.

As we were leaving the Land, my mom made the remark, “You know, that guy had it right. I could ride that every day and be perfectly happy.”

I'm a die-hard Soarin' girl, too. It is the only ride on property that I do not volunteer to sit out of to stay back with a little one. Everything else - ToT Everest, Space Mountain, whatever - I baby hold w/o a blink, but Soarin' is my ride! I have often thought how nice it would be to ride it at the end of every school day just to decompress before moving on to evening chores and activities.

Quote:
I can easily picture myself being right there sitting on the rock wall in that shade at this moment. Aaaaah!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: