Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #151
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Yay at your mum being impressed with Poly even though she needed to experience a longer journey on the monorail to get the flavour of that experience!

Lol love how Alex was straight into the shops even though you finished with a shopping trip the evening before.

Wow at it being so quiet at Poly...you must have enjoyed taking in the resort without many people around
Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #152
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Alicia, your updates are so fun to read!

I have the same dream of a big family vacation, only I picture us at the Beach Club and Stormalong Bay. Here's hoping our dreams come true!

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #153
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Kona is one of my favorite places to eat breakfast, but you missed my favorite entree, the Tonga toast! Now you'll just have to go back and try it!

Awesome on scoring FP for Space!

I wonder where you are going?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #154
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Laughing about your husband asking about where you are going. I always do the planning. DH wakes up, asks which park we're going to and where are we eating!

Great pic of you and Alex!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #155
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Haha, Brandon does the same thing when I plan trips, asks me questions when we get there about what we're doing! The thing that annoys me the most is when he asks if we're eating at a certain restaurant...I ask him SO many times where he wants to eat before a trip, and I try to make ADR's for all of his requests, then we get to Disney and he's disappointed if we're not eating somewhere!

The cake is so beautiful!

Yum, I love Kona for breakfast, that juice is SO good!

Yay for getting to ride Space Mountain so early, that's always nice! I'm not a big fan of the new FP rules, but whatever, I hardly ever returned late anyway...I just hate knowing that you can't if you need to for some reason!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #156
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

I love Kona breakfast!

Looks like you're off to a great morning in the MK!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #157
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

Yay for a speedy breakfast in Kona! That was very creative of you and your Mom to share!! I felt stuffed just reading about it!

I LOVE the pic of you and your Mom waiting for the monorail--those grins are priceless..so cute!!!

I don't know if it was on purpose or not, but I love the shot of the castle with the Mickey balloon!!

How awesome that you were able to get Space FP's with such a quick return time! Way to go...major score there!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #158
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Breakfast at Kona....one of our favourite places! I love your paying it forward....we found a lot of people on this trip that we were able to help out and in turn they helped us out! Magic of Disney at it's finest!

Love your dress...super cute!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #159
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Oh gosh, I understand how you felt. I've had these summer trip plans laid out for months now and I still have at least one family member or another asking me, "So what are we doing on such'n'such day?" SIGH.

The covered building looks weird, but you're totally right. It's not like they demolished the castle, and you could still get close-up shots. Works for me!

I honestly don't mind the new FP system at all... I mean, I always use mine right away anyway so it doesn't really matter to me! I'm glad yall got some for Space!

I guess we just have to accept that some people are just not going to remember the details of a trip. So long as they don't complain about the plans, it's all good.

I dealt with a little rushing with the new FP system, but it wasn't anything that I got mad or frustrated over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I love that first picture of you and your mom. You can certainly tell she's your mom in that picture. The resemblance is uncanny!

Yum - love Kona breakfast. I love the picture you got of the wall. You're right - there is usually always someone sitting there.

MK looks a little crowded, but you got a great FP return time for Space Mountain.

Off to a great start. Can't wait to see how your day shapes up.

Yeah, my mom and I do look a lot alike. I tend to think like my dad, though, so I always tell people I'm a 50/50 split of them.

MK was always crowded when we went, but I wasn't too torn up about it that day, because we were mostly just walking around and taking in the sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Yay at your mum being impressed with Poly even though she needed to experience a longer journey on the monorail to get the flavour of that experience!

Lol love how Alex was straight into the shops even though you finished with a shopping trip the evening before.

Wow at it being so quiet at Poly...you must have enjoyed taking in the resort without many people around

Being able to walk around the Polynesian with barely anyone around was wonderful. It made me want to stay there even more, just to be able to enjoy that peace and quiet every morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleshoodat View Post
Alicia, your updates are so fun to read!

I have the same dream of a big family vacation, only I picture us at the Beach Club and Stormalong Bay. Here's hoping our dreams come true!

Ah, thanks! You'll have to plan a trip for the future so you can write another PTR and Tr! I loved reading yours!

The Beach Club is such a gorgeous resort, I can understand how that's your dream resort. Plus, Stormalong Bay is one of the best resort pools. I don't think I'd ever leave that area if I stayed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Kona is one of my favorite places to eat breakfast, but you missed my favorite entree, the Tonga toast! Now you'll just have to go back and try it!

Awesome on scoring FP for Space!

I wonder where you are going?

Kona is a great place for breakfast. I tried the Tonga Toast last year, and I gotta admit...it was too sweet for me. I thought I'd really like it, because I'd read so many rave reviews about it, but I just couldn't eat the whole thing.

I was pretty happy with where I ended up taking my mom on her first MK day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
Laughing about your husband asking about where you are going. I always do the planning. DH wakes up, asks which park we're going to and where are we eating!

Great pic of you and Alex!

Haha, that's pretty much what Alex does. The only time I get him involved in the planning is when restaurants are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Haha, Brandon does the same thing when I plan trips, asks me questions when we get there about what we're doing! The thing that annoys me the most is when he asks if we're eating at a certain restaurant...I ask him SO many times where he wants to eat before a trip, and I try to make ADR's for all of his requests, then we get to Disney and he's disappointed if we're not eating somewhere!

The cake is so beautiful!

Yum, I love Kona for breakfast, that juice is SO good!

Yay for getting to ride Space Mountain so early, that's always nice! I'm not a big fan of the new FP rules, but whatever, I hardly ever returned late anyway...I just hate knowing that you can't if you need to for some reason!

Ugh, that would drive me nuts! But, based on your PTRs and TRs you're used to it and know how to go about guessing which restaurants Brandon will want to eat at.

That juice is delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
I love Kona breakfast!

Looks like you're off to a great morning in the MK!

We were having a good morning so far, and thankfully the day only improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
Yay for a speedy breakfast in Kona! That was very creative of you and your Mom to share!! I felt stuffed just reading about it!

I LOVE the pic of you and your Mom waiting for the monorail--those grins are priceless..so cute!!!

I don't know if it was on purpose or not, but I love the shot of the castle with the Mickey balloon!!

How awesome that you were able to get Space FP's with such a quick return time! Way to go...major score there!

I saw that balloon floating along in front of the castle and was like, "I have to try and get that in a castle shot!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Breakfast at Kona....one of our favourite places! I love your paying it forward....we found a lot of people on this trip that we were able to help out and in turn they helped us out! Magic of Disney at it's finest!

Love your dress...super cute!

Thanks! I love paying it forward at Disney. It's so great to be able to make someone else's day a little brighter.

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 07-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #160
wakica
DIS Veteran

I was sad we didnt run into you at Kona but I have to admit I didn't think it was all that promising anyway. My intention was to get there EARLY so we could catch you but we got going later - DD knew it was a down day and played on that fullly by making us NAG her out of bed. LOL.
I think though that we may have been very close to the same spot you guys sat!! lol. Maybe we can tell in my pics when i get them up. 2 more days to post then the race day ones If only there were enough hours in a day. and I refuse to go on with my posts just yet bc nobody has aknowledged my last one which is 3 parts of HS. LOL. So, I'm on a bit of a strike til I build up some comments on that one Nobody gets to hear about SeaWorld, Race Day, the wedding, Us, Busch until they have checked out HS. Bahahaha!!!

Glad the construction didn't bother you at all - It didn't bug me much until I saw that it effected some of DH's good shots and our photopass shots Oh well, other than that it didn't bug me either.

and that's funny that your DH disappears like that. HAHA - mine does too - he's usually off taking pics though. Often we'll all start walking as a family and then DD and I are like HUH???? where the heck is he?!?!?! It can get VERY annoying sometimes.

Me dh dd(16)
Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #161
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Ooohh breakfast looks delicious! (If a little too much, better than the alternative!)
Glad you got a good SM fastpass return! I never really knew that there was a loophole in the fp system so I always used it correctly, so the "change" actually won't change anything for me at all!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #162
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

Ok its decided I have to try breakfast at Kona and soon it looked really yummy!!

I love when people help us take pictures, its so hard sometimes as a couple on vaca alone to get good shots!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #163
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakica View Post
I was sad we didnt run into you at Kona but I have to admit I didn't think it was all that promising anyway. My intention was to get there EARLY so we could catch you but we got going later - DD knew it was a down day and played on that fullly by making us NAG her out of bed. LOL.
I think though that we may have been very close to the same spot you guys sat!! lol. Maybe we can tell in my pics when i get them up. 2 more days to post then the race day ones If only there were enough hours in a day. and I refuse to go on with my posts just yet bc nobody has aknowledged my last one which is 3 parts of HS. LOL. So, I'm on a bit of a strike til I build up some comments on that one Nobody gets to hear about SeaWorld, Race Day, the wedding, Us, Busch until they have checked out HS. Bahahaha!!!

Glad the construction didn't bother you at all - It didn't bug me much until I saw that it effected some of DH's good shots and our photopass shots Oh well, other than that it didn't bug me either.

and that's funny that your DH disappears like that. HAHA - mine does too - he's usually off taking pics though. Often we'll all start walking as a family and then DD and I are like HUH???? where the heck is he?!?!?! It can get VERY annoying sometimes.

Alls well that ends well, I suppose. We were able to meet at the race, which was probably better, because we were both waiting for the darn thing to start! I'll keep an eye out in your pics to see if our tables were near each others.

I tend to do that to my party members with the camera. We'll be walking and I'll go, "I haven't taken a picture of that yet!" and just step off to the side to grab a shot. Normally, I'm pretty good about yelling to someone, but occassionally it's so busy they don't hear me. I just let them keep going, knowing I can call them and meet back up later...Between my picture-taking and Alex's shopping, it's a wonder we are ever together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Ooohh breakfast looks delicious! (If a little too much, better than the alternative!)
Glad you got a good SM fastpass return! I never really knew that there was a loophole in the fp system so I always used it correctly, so the "change" actually won't change anything for me at all!

I didn't know about the loophole the first time Alex and I went, either, so I usually just returned on time. I think I might've used FPs late maybe 10% of the time. But with the new rules being enforced, it worked in my favor because nobody was grabbing tickets, leaving earlier return times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
Ok its decided I have to try breakfast at Kona and soon it looked really yummy!!

I love when people help us take pictures, its so hard sometimes as a couple on vaca alone to get good shots!

You definitely have to try Kona at some point! It's really relaxed and the food is delicious!

I know what you mean about the pictures. You're either at the mercy of some kind strangers, or you have 2 pictures of the same spot with each of you in it, or you're doing the hand held skyward pose, hoping to get both of you in the shot.

Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #164
amazingact21
Upendi

I Must Be Getting Old

May 5th Early Afternoon:

With Space Mountain FPs in hand (well, in wallet, actually…) I led Alex and my mother over to the teacups, checking the wait time. It was listed at 15 minutes, and the line looked pretty long, so I decided to skip that attraction. My mother had mentioned before the trip that I had 2 rides I loved at Magic Kingdom when I was 7. The teacups were one of them, so I wanted us to go on them at least once, as a sort of nostalgia-inducing moment.

However, I knew I could catch the Teacups later on, when the line wasn’t so bad; Alex checked Goofy’s Barnstormer’s wait, because I wanted to ride one ride in the soon to be opened new Fantasyland. Strange, yes, but I didn’t care.

Goofy’s had a lengthy wait, as well. I was a little disappointed, but wasn’t too surprised. After all, it was morning and the rides I was looking at were kid-heavy.

We walked on, catching a few glances of the construction going on behind the walls. I decided right then that I knew a place that wouldn’t be busy, and it’d be an ideal spot to get out of the direct sunlight for a bit.

So where did I drag my mother?

Why, Philarmagic, of course!

I love this show and have to see it at least once on every trip, and I had it penciled in my notebook as one of my mom’s “Must-Do’s.”

We arrived right in the middle of a show, so we walked directly into the holding cell and waited by one of the doors.

There weren’t very many people seeing the show, and I purposefully let a wave of guests pass in front of us, so that when we walked into our row, we were fairly close to the middle.

I don’t consider that cheating, especially when there are dozens of guests hurtling their way to the front of line, afraid that if they don’t get through those doors RIGHT THAT MINUTE then they’ll miss out on all the fun and games.

Has anyone else noticed this at Disney? That when you’re standing in a room waiting for a show, like It’s Tough to be a Bug or Muppets 3-D or even Test Track, people begin pushing and shoving like there’s a fire behind them. I’ve seen parents drag their kids through swarms of adults, just to be the first inside the adjoining room.

It’s kinda crazy.

BUT! If these people are in such a hurry to sit down, then far be it from me to stop them. I’ll gladly let the madness rush by me…one man’s loss is another’s gain, right?

Getting back on track, Philarmagic was wonderful, as always. There were 2 toddlers sitting in front of us, and it was actually more entertaining to watch their reactions than the actual attraction. They would burst out in fits of giggles when the water sprayed them and they kept trying to reach out for the sorcerer’s hat and they would sing along with the songs they recognized. Adorable.

My favorite part, as usual, was Simba’s “I Can’t Wait to be King” and my mom’s turned out to be Lumiere’s “Be Our Guest.” Her answer sort of surprised me, because I never took my mom to be a huge Beauty and the Beast lover. She is a Toy Story fan through and through.

You never know what you’ll learn at Disney World.

After our break from the heat, it was time to use our Space Mountain FPs. Finally! I couldn’t believe I’d been in Disney for 24 hours and hadn’t gone on 1 single coaster yet. I needed my fix!

The standby line for SM was atrocious. The crowds had definitely made their way over to Tomorrowland and passing all those poor folks as we weaved through the FP line, I was grateful I didn’t hit the parks midday very often. They were all shooting us daggers with their eyes. You know they were thinking, “Not another one of those fastpass people. We’ll never get to ride this stupid ride!”

We were directed to the right side, which I was happy about, because I think it’s just a wee bit more “thrilling” than the left side (and not as jerky).

Because my poor husband is part giant, he had to take the front seat. It’s the only spot where he’s not eating his knees, and the only place where he doesn’t have to unfold himself completely to get out. (If anyone ever needs a laugh, ride SM with my husband and watch as he tries to get out at the exit. And make him have some sort of bag and/or water bottle. It’s like watching someone trying to escape those itty bitty clown cars.)

The ride took off, and as usual, I enjoyed it. SM isn’t my favorite coaster, it’s probably not even on my Top 5 list, but I still love it for its uniqueness. The not-knowing factor makes me love the attraction.

As we were riding the moving escalator towards the exit, I asked my mom how she liked it.

Her response:

“I must be getting old.”

Apparently, she was NOT a fan of the jerking and the unknown. I was a little surprised, because my mom had gone on Space Mountain a bunch of times in the past. She had her Grad Night at MK and we’d visited once around 8 years beforehand and she loved it.

But she claimed the constant jerking was just too much for her now. Plus, she had a hair clip in, and the whole time she couldn’t put her head back on the headrest because the clip was in the way. That didn’t help any.

She wasn’t feeling too well after Space, so I decided we should just casually walk towards Frontierland. Take our time, enjoy the sights…

I had to grab some more shots of the Castle along our way:

On the bridge from Tomorrowland, we ran into Push, the talking trashcan.

I’m telling you, this trip made me have so many flashbacks to my childhood vacation. The last time I’d seen push, I was 7. It was like a blast from the past watching a girl that was my age back then interact with Push.

Very surreal.

More Castle pictures:

As were passing by the front of the castle, I mentioned to my mom that there was so much to see even when you’re just walking around. My mom answered with, “Yeah, look at these cool hitching posts. Why do you even need these here?”

To which Alex said, “For those guys.” And he pointed at:

Couldn’t have timed that better if we’d tried.

It made all of us break out in laughter. What’re the odds that my mom would notice and comment about horses right as one appeared behind her? It was one of those moments that I knew we’d remember from the trip.

“Hey, Mom, you remember those hitching posts? Why does Disney have them again?”

After getting a good laugh on, mom, daughter, and husband walked into Frontierland. And can I just say…this was the first time I can remember taking this path.

It’s kinda nuts, knowing how many times I’ve been to Disney in the past year, and still managing to find things I’d never done. A perfect example of why you can return to the world over and over again and never get bored.

I strolled past this spot:

And heard a CM yelling that the next show was in 5 minutes. Normally, I try to avoid spontaneous decisions, but I knew my mom was still shaken up from Space, and the walk over from Tomorrowland had made us really hot. So, I suggested we watch it, and I wasn’t met with any complaints.

The CM was very prompt and no sooner had we walked inside than we were ushered into the auditorium.

There were only a handful of people with us, so we picked a nice row near the back and settled in.

The last time I’d seen this show, Bill Clinton had been president, so the nerd in me came out, and I was excited to watch the updated version.

I gotta give my mom credit, she dosed during the middle of the show, but became wide awake again by the time all the presidents were acknowledging themselves.

I wish I could have taken a quick nap, but I was too interested. Anything educational captures my attention and I just can’t break myself away. I’m pretty sure it was the same way when I was a kid.

I can only imagine what my family was like.

My parents: “Who wants to go see a show about the presidents?”

Josh: “Nooooooo!”

Isaac: “Zzzz”

Me: “Whoo hoo!”

Back outside, I realized I hadn’t been in that part of the park in the last few years, so I grabbed some photos while my mom and Alex walked on, not realizing they’d left me behind. Woops.

It was insanely hot out, and I knew the sun was draining all of our energy, fast. The last thing we needed at that moment was to become exhausted before the race, but there was just one more thing I wanted to do before leaving, and I figured I could walk towards it, see the wait time, and determine if we were up for it or not.

I was hoping to write about it in this update, but this one is already insanely long, so it’ll have to wait until the next post. But I’ll just say…what we did became my mom’s favorite part of the trip, and made Alex fall in love with a new ride, and made me so happy I had to stop by guest services. As a group, there were 2 things that were the best part of our vacation, and this was definitely number 1.

Stay tuned!

Up Next…I Like You, You Can Stay

Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #165
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

I have to admit, that I've stolen a nap during the "Hall of Presidents" before, too! It's not that I don't like educational things---my undergraduate degree is in history, for goodness sake! It's just that the heat just zaps me, and then when I finally sit down somewhere cool, it just happens!

Enjoyed the update!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: