Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #136
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Awwww what a sweet update! Your shopaholic husband made me laugh.

I'm so glad your mom loves the Poly as much as you!

I hope that you and your family really do get to stay there someday! That would be wonderful!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #137
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

So glad you enjoyed your "waiting" time at the Poly. Of course, we love the Poly at our house! Hope you get to enjoy it one day!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #138
wakica
DIS Veteran

ahhh, the Poly!!! I am so glad I took your suggestion of Kona being a great race day breakfast We loved it there so much too and DH had always thought from a distance it didnt look like such a hot hotel so it was great to get in there and really see how beautiful it was! and your right! The pool and the beach and the view are all amazing!!! We took our time enjoying that part AFTER our brunch and it was sooo pretty we just wanted to linger.

So glad your mom decided that she wants to stay there Definitely something to look forward to!

Me dh dd(16)
Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #139
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

What a great morning at the Poly! I've never been there, I can't wait to see it this year. I hope to wander around for a bit and see the place.
Had to giggle at you losing your hubby to every shop along the way!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #140
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful morning, walking around the Poly. Its funny how those quiet moments just walking around checking a resort out can be so wonderful and memorable

I have yet to eat at Kona, but that is one that I want to check out sometime soon!! Ps Tim and I both have the same issue with wearing clothes before washing them, it makes our skin really irritated
Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #141
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

What an awesome morning and wonderful start to the day. I have to say, that I agree with you 100% on the Poly. It happens to be my dream resort as well. And I totally understand your emotions when thinking about those dream vacations when you're in the place that you love with the people that you love...It can definitely pull at the heart strings!

I so can't wait to hear how the meal is at Kona followed by the rest of the day. And how very exciting that it's race day!!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #142
Jacksonev1
Mouseketeer

Just stopping by to tell you that your profile picture is super awesome!

And I am enjoying your report. The hubby and I will be running ToT on Sept 29th!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #143
Merida
DIS Veteran

I don't mind slow updates! It gives me a chance to catch up

I'm sorry your June trip fell through, but a fall one sounds great too. So many special events going on then.

I would totally recommend seeing Fantasia! The new one (new being relative I guess, 2000 is a long time ago now) is much more.. "accessible"/modern than the original. And it's utterly adorable to boot - plus I really, really love Stravinsky's Firebird Suite and the Rhapsody in Blue. Actually, all their music choices are excellent! No peacocks (the ostriches are the dancers in Fantasia: Original Flavor); just a cool topiary.

All of the Flower and Garden deco looks amazing. I really want to do a spring trip; I tried to get my boyfriend to agree to this year (because of Fantasia and the Fantasia flamingo lawn ornaments) but it was a no go.

Poly in the morning looks so relaxing and pretty! I've read that sometimes it can be noisy/crowded because of 'Ohana and that it's more family-oriented, but it would totally be worth some noise to be able to walk around in the morning (and do Kona for breakfast ).
Old 07-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #144
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
What a lovely way to spend the morning. The Poly is even more beautiful when its still sleeping. I have to say that the pool view there is one of, if not, the best anywhere. I watched Wishes from the Poly beach my last night and I would love to stay there. Being DVC it probably won't happen anytime soon.

You have a big day ahead of you before race time. What time does the actual race start? Can't wait to read all about that.

Wishes from the Poly is amazing. It's a complete 180 from being on Main St. You can sit down, relax, not worry about being trampled to death.

The race started at 9:30 that night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
AHHH the Poly! It's so beautiful, I fell in love with it a couple of years ago when we went to 'Ohana for the first time, and it's been my dream resort ever since! It really does look so peaceful in your pictures, with no one around! The pool looks amazing, I love how it looks like it goes right out into the lagoon! Glad you guys had such a nice, relaxing morning before the race!

Hopefully one day we'll both be able to stay at the Poly. I just feel like it'd be impossible NOT to relax while staying there. You walk inside and you're instantly calm and mellow....at least I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Awwww what a sweet update! Your shopaholic husband made me laugh.

I'm so glad your mom loves the Poly as much as you!

I hope that you and your family really do get to stay there someday! That would be wonderful!

Alex has a serious Disney shopping problem...I think he needs an intervention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
So glad you enjoyed your "waiting" time at the Poly. Of course, we love the Poly at our house! Hope you get to enjoy it one day!

Your pictures of the Poly upon your arrival had be envious! I love hearing that you and your family have stayed there so many times, because it tells me that it's an amazing resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakica View Post
ahhh, the Poly!!! I am so glad I took your suggestion of Kona being a great race day breakfast We loved it there so much too and DH had always thought from a distance it didnt look like such a hot hotel so it was great to get in there and really see how beautiful it was! and your right! The pool and the beach and the view are all amazing!!! We took our time enjoying that part AFTER our brunch and it was sooo pretty we just wanted to linger.

So glad your mom decided that she wants to stay there Definitely something to look forward to!

Glad you enjoyed the Poly as well. The outside really doesn't do it justice. I mean, that view from the pool is just gorgeous! Isn't it nice when you can take your time and wander around? Now, I cannot wait to see the photos of the resort in your TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
What a great morning at the Poly! I've never been there, I can't wait to see it this year. I hope to wander around for a bit and see the place.
Had to giggle at you losing your hubby to every shop along the way!

You have to try and see the Poly this fall! It's one of a kind!

Ugh, this was only the beginning of Alex's shopping extraveganza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
Sounds like you guys had a wonderful morning, walking around the Poly. Its funny how those quiet moments just walking around checking a resort out can be so wonderful and memorable

I have yet to eat at Kona, but that is one that I want to check out sometime soon!! Ps Tim and I both have the same issue with wearing clothes before washing them, it makes our skin really irritated

Those can definitely be some of the best moments. Probably because you're allowing yourself time to stop and go, "Wow, look where I'm at!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
What an awesome morning and wonderful start to the day. I have to say, that I agree with you 100% on the Poly. It happens to be my dream resort as well. And I totally understand your emotions when thinking about those dream vacations when you're in the place that you love with the people that you love...It can definitely pull at the heart strings!

I so can't wait to hear how the meal is at Kona followed by the rest of the day. And how very exciting that it's race day!!

I can completely see why the Poly is your dream resort. I mean, honestly, nothing compares to the beauty and proximity of the resort.

I can't wait to write about the race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonev1 View Post
Just stopping by to tell you that your profile picture is super awesome!

And I am enjoying your report. The hubby and I will be running ToT on Sept 29th!

Thanks! I am really happy that I thought to take that picture.

Whoohoo on running the ToT! I so wish I could participate, but it's insane how fast registration filled up! Hope you have a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merida View Post
I don't mind slow updates! It gives me a chance to catch up

I'm sorry your June trip fell through, but a fall one sounds great too. So many special events going on then.

I would totally recommend seeing Fantasia! The new one (new being relative I guess, 2000 is a long time ago now) is much more.. "accessible"/modern than the original. And it's utterly adorable to boot - plus I really, really love Stravinsky's Firebird Suite and the Rhapsody in Blue. Actually, all their music choices are excellent! No peacocks (the ostriches are the dancers in Fantasia: Original Flavor); just a cool topiary.

All of the Flower and Garden deco looks amazing. I really want to do a spring trip; I tried to get my boyfriend to agree to this year (because of Fantasia and the Fantasia flamingo lawn ornaments) but it was a no go.

Poly in the morning looks so relaxing and pretty! I've read that sometimes it can be noisy/crowded because of 'Ohana and that it's more family-oriented, but it would totally be worth some noise to be able to walk around in the morning (and do Kona for breakfast ).

I'm starting to look forward to our fall trip. I mean, F&W, can't complain about that!

I really need to watch Fantasia start to finish one day...

I can't decide which is better, Poly in the morning or at night. They both are two different atmospheres, which I like. The morning's so calm and peaceful, and the nights are buzzing with activity...plus Wishes from the beach. Pure amazingness.

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 07-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #145
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

I think that was my favourite update so far,..highlight moments are never the ones that cost alot they are the moments in time that we remember the most. I love how your mom talked about saving up to stay at the Poly, I find when we have our minds set on a Disney vacation we give up so much at home because it means more to us to get away and be together.

Great great update hon
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #146
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
I think that was my favourite update so far,..highlight moments are never the ones that cost alot they are the moments in time that we remember the most. I love how your mom talked about saving up to stay at the Poly, I find when we have our minds set on a Disney vacation we give up so much at home because it means more to us to get away and be together.

Great great update hon

Aww, thanks. It is funny how some of the best moments are the simplest ones. You'd think paying for park tickets and/or special events and booking restaurants that the most memorable moments will come from them, but sometimes it's those instant, downtime chances that take your breath away.
That's what makes Disney so wonderful. I'm completly willing to give up a few things here at home if it means I get another chance at those amazing moments at WDW.

Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #147
amazingact21
Upendi

A Kingdom Full of Endless Dreams for Every Boy and Girl

May 5th Breakfast and Morning:

My mom, Alex, and I were waiting by second floor ledge, looking down at the waterfall, waiting for our name to be called for Kona. It was a very relaxed time, with Alex asking me what the game plan was for the day.

You guys, this man had been listening to me talk about this trip for 7 months. I had our plans laid out sometime around mid-December. There were several times on our training runs where I’d go, “Ask me what we’ll be doing at any time on any day…I can tell you.”

And here he was asking me what the game plan was after breakfast.

The nerve!

Just keep that thought in mind, everyone, because this won’t be the last time I bring it up.

“We’re going to go into Magic Kingdom for a bit and hopefully do some of the less popular attractions. Then, we’re going to head back to Sports and rest up.”

As I was saying this, the three of us noticed a cake being delivered.

It was a really cool cake.

I loved all the bright colors and wondered what the dessert was for. Wedding, birthday, some other celebration. Either way, I knew the recipients were going to love it.

Eventually, our turn to eat was up, and we followed a CM to a table near the back, right next to a pathway.

It was a new seat for Alex and I, and the only section we’d yet to sit in, so that was kind of cool. You know you’re becoming a regular in a restaurant when you’ve sat in almost every section.

Here are some of the wall decorations I took when we sat down. I was actually able to take a picture, unlike the last few times, because nobody was sitting along the wall. I always feel weird trying to take a photo in a spot where it looks like I’m grabbing shots of strangers.

All three of us ordered the…oh jeez now to try and spell this without looking it up….Liloki Juice.

That can’t be spelled right, Microsoft is giving me the little red sqiggly lines. Herm, you all know what drink I’m referring to right? The one with orange and guava, the one that's pretty much amazing.

Alex ordered the same thing as last year…the Big Kahuna.

My family aren’t really breakfast eaters, mine usually consists of a bowl of granola and a banana (real creative, I know) so in any other situation, my mom and I probably would’ve just split a meal. However, we were on the Dining Plan and needed to use both our credits, so we decided to be a little creative.

I ordered the Big Kahuna and she ordered the Pineapple Macadamia Nut Pancakes.

(My Dish)

(My mom’s)

She had ordered bacon with her pancakes, but they brought her ham, and so our waiter just brought out an extra plate of bacon.

No!

That’s bad!

That means we now had another piece of food to add to our “Too Much!” list.

Alex said he’d take the ham, though, so both my mom and I gave our slices to him.

Have fun, honey. Let’s see you try to walk outta here…

I took my plate and pretty much split everything in half (except the bacon). My mom got a piece of French toast, all the eggs because I’m not a fan of them, and a piece of sausage. She did the same to her pancakes and gave me 2 extra slices.

It sounds complicated, and it sort of was. After we’d eaten as much as we could, we had a sausage, a piece of French toast, and half the pancakes left over. I felt really bad wasting all that food, but I was completely full.

My body had yet to get in Disney Dining Mode, and so I still wasn’t adjusted to the portion sizes.

From start to finish, the meal only lasted about 45 minutes. The food arrived lightning fast, and our server rang up our cards swiftly. We were all ready to leave at 10:00am.

At the time, I was hoping I’d run into Kim (aka Wakica) and her family, who had a brunch reservation scheduled for Kona. But alas, I knew we were leaving way too early to see her.

As we were walking out of the restaurant, I turned around and saw that I’d lost my husband.

Huh.

There were no little souvenir stands or kiosks among the tables, so I knew he wasn’t shopping (Hallelujah!) but that meant I had no clue where he was. I looked around and saw him coming back towards me. Turns out, he saw a couple at a table trying to take a picture together and stopped to grab one for them.

This is kind of our thing at Disney.

Normally, it’s just the two of us, and we understand 100% how rare it is to get a picture of both of us, so we began making it our mission to be nice and offer to take photos when we see people too shy or unwilling to ask someone else for help. Our little version of paying to forward.

I’d spent the morning relaxing and taking in the moment and being a sap, and now that we were all refueled, it was time to hit the ground running.

I was ready to see the castle up close and in person!

I dragged the other two members of my party to the monorail and waited in line.

I think this picture shows how ridiculously excited I become on Disney. You’d think I was a kid again.

A monorail arrived, we piled in, sped towards Grand Floridian, and continued on to the Magic Kingdom.

We’d arrived!

Let the party begin!

If it were up to me, I’d have swarmed Main Street by storm, but I knew I had a race to participate in that night, and the one condition of going inside a park was that I’d take it slow.

Ugh.

That’s a difficult task for someone who’d been away from Pirates and Splash and the Emporium for 7 months.

I think knowing Thunder wasn’t waiting for me helped reel me in and gave me the idea to take a few photos in front of the park.

Doesn’t he look just thrilled to be sitting around getting his picture taken?

After I felt that our feet were prepared for a walk around the park in midday heat, I led us all under the tunnel and onto Main Street!

There was a building under refurb (I think it was the Bakery but don’t hold me to that) so my castle shots aren’t great.

I know some people would’ve complained, but I didn’t really care. The castle was still there, after all.

Continuing with the relaxing, take-pictures, theme, I made us all stop for the traditional pictures in front of the castle. We were in a shadowed area, though, so they didn’t turn out like I'd have liked, but they are the only ones I believe we took. How we managed to miss more photo opportunities I don’t know, but we did. (Besides, I like that my mom and Alex are wearing their race shirts. Adds an element of time to the photos.)

My mom also noticed another duck hanging around in the grassy area and loved the flowers it was hiding behind. So, I had to grab a pic of it:

It was 10:20 (thank you handy dandy travel journal!) and I seriously doubted there’d by early Space Mtn fastpasses left, but I figured we might as well try our luck.

And when we made it over to Tomorrowland, I was pleasantly surprised with an amazing return time:

It was my first run-in with the new FP rules, and I can’t say I was too sad with my first experience. Preventing guests from using late FP tickets gave us the chance to grab some for an hour later.

I was certainly not expecting to be able to get a thrill ride done that morning, but I was secretly ecstatic. Space was on my ride hopeful list for that day, and everyone knows how great it feels when you start believing you’ll get your To-Do List Accomplished.

I took it as a sign that the three of us were on the right track, and I knew I needed to keep our good fortune rolling.

If it were just Alex and I inside MK, I’d have dragged us across the park to ride Pirates before our return window, but I took a step back and realized I didn’t need to be dragging my mother there and back across Adventureland and Tomorrowland before she had a 5K to accomplish.

I figured I needed to keep our options open to Tommorowland and Fantasyland, so I veered my group to the right and figured we’d check out some wait times as we went along. I had an attraction in mind, but I figured I’d save it and see what else there was to do.

Up Next…I Must be Getting Old

Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #148
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Oh gosh, I understand how you felt. I've had these summer trip plans laid out for months now and I still have at least one family member or another asking me, "So what are we doing on such'n'such day?" SIGH.

The covered building looks weird, but you're totally right. It's not like they demolished the castle, and you could still get close-up shots. Works for me!

I honestly don't mind the new FP system at all... I mean, I always use mine right away anyway so it doesn't really matter to me! I'm glad yall got some for Space!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #149
MEK
DIS Veteran

I love that first picture of you and your mom. You can certainly tell she's your mom in that picture. The resemblance is uncanny!

Yum - love Kona breakfast. I love the picture you got of the wall. You're right - there is usually always someone sitting there.

MK looks a little crowded, but you got a great FP return time for Space Mountain.

Off to a great start. Can't wait to see how your day shapes up.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #150
MEK
DIS Veteran

Oh - and that cake - amazing!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: