Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #301
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us
 
DSNY4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 3,100

We got our tickets for this year's trip, but the whole thing makes me sad.

I knew the prices would go up sometime around Cars land opening, but I am sad for all of the families that have had to give up Disney or will never get to go because of the last few years of ticket increases (along with everything else that has gone up). I know we have certainly cut down on our trips BIG time, and our next DLR and WDW trips will be our last for a while.

Once upon a time we had an annual pass... I don't think we'll ever be doing that again.
__________________
"Being green is not a trend. It is, perhaps, the most important challenge of our time." -John Fahey-

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #302
nannyz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 604

Raising prices definitely will affect my decision to go to DLR more often; but what will affect my decision even more is if the atmosphere changes. If DLR is no longer a happy place, then I will go elsewhere on vacation.
nannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #303
rramstad
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyz View Post
Raising prices definitely will affect my decision to go to DLR more often; but what will affect my decision even more is if the atmosphere changes. If DLR is no longer a happy place, then I will go elsewhere on vacation.
Interesting point. I tend to think that price increases might actually improve the mood of the people in the park. I suspect a lot of the more significant issues are either overcrowding, or people who go so frequently they are not in "vacation mode" and tend to treat the park as if it is their park as opposed to something to share with everyone. The increase in AP may encourage some people to get a lower tier of AP, which would make it much less crowded on blackout dates, and of course the increase may encourage some to just not renew.

It's definitely a two edged sword, that's for sure. I see many threads on DIS discussing overcrowding, long waits, and rude people. I think we'd all be upset if they were enforcing hard limits on the parks so that on crowded days if you left it was common that you couldn't get back in. I think we'd also all be upset if they had some hard limit on the number of days that you could use an AP... though I do think that would be an interesting option, if you put a hard limit of 21 or 30 days on an AP per year, assuming that was something that everyone knew in advance before purchasing, and maybe there was a super platinum AP with no limits or something.

We all want Disney to keep adding new interesting things to the park, and we all want to be able to enjoy them without massive crushing crowds. It seems inevitable that prices would have to increase. It's too bad, but just the reality of the situation.
rramstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #304
Disneylandfan1
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: oregon
Posts: 112

Park Hoppers

This thread seems to be mostly about APs, but I'm shocked at the PH price increase. I can sort of understand the rise in price on the APs because of the crowding problems in the parks, however I think they went about it the wrong way and should have done gradual increases, not this huge jump. They must have regretted the low prices they were offering 2 years ago and are now trying to make up for that mistake, but this increase is too much of a jump in one year.

The sad thing is that it's not even going to help the crowding problem for this year because most people already have their APs and their park hoppers for the summer visit. These price increases will not alleviate the crowds at all until 2013, so why gamble with offending AP holders with the huge price hike?

Mostly I'm surprised about the huge price hike on the PHs. A 5-day park hopper went up $50! My family was considering a visit during the holidays to make up for our over-crowded June visit (we did not mean to get caught up in the grand opening craziness). Now it will cost my family $250 more just for the park hoppers! That's not to mention the price increase on food in the park which happened this year, and I assume the hotel rates will rise as well, as they minimize any hotel specials. Those of us that live out of the area spend a lot of money to come to the parks! Why would they burden the people that eat at character meals, and park dining because we don't have a car, and generally spend more money just to go there? Don't they see that those of us who live far away will not be able to come as often?
Disneylandfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #305
todzwife
There's nothing worse than walking around with a wet butt
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 974

If they want fewer passholders, they need to stop offering a payment plan.
__________________
Disney fanatic with 4 kiddos: 10/03 01/06 04/10 and our littlest 7/13
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #306
Califgirl

VMK MVP
I heart my DIS VMK friends
Looked for Stitch, but found Huck Springs!
 
Califgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by todzwife View Post
If they want fewer passholders, they need to stop offering a payment plan.
This is what I was thinking. Also the AP's that took the biggest hit were the Premium ($150!) and the Deluxe. The So. Cal AP's went up, but not nearly as much. If they wanted to curb the 'locals' easy access, all they had to do is raise those rates more, or do away with the So.Cal AP's all together. Doing away with the payment plan would also cut down on a lot of AP's being purchased. (Please note - I am NOT advocating this. I consider myself a local, although I am slighlty over an hour away)

So what that leads me to believe, is that they are trying to get maximum $ per guest, not necessarily less guests. Disney obviously thinks that we, as guests, have not reached our saturation point when it comes to ticket cost. It will be interesting to see how quickly we adapt to the price change, and whether it will actually impact park attendance.

It just doesn't make sense that the price increase is Disney's strategy to 'cull the herd' as others have put it. I don't think Disney wants less guests, they just want more out of each and every guest.
__________________
Califgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #307
cyclenut
DIS Veteran
 
cyclenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 953

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylandfan1 View Post
This thread seems to be mostly about APs, but I'm shocked at the PH price increase. I can sort of understand the rise in price on the APs because of the crowding problems in the parks, however I think they went about it the wrong way and should have done gradual increases, not this huge jump. They must have regretted the low prices they were offering 2 years ago and are now trying to make up for that mistake, but this increase is too much of a jump in one year.

The sad thing is that it's not even going to help the crowding problem for this year because most people already have their APs and their park hoppers for the summer visit. These price increases will not alleviate the crowds at all until 2013, so why gamble with offending AP holders with the huge price hike?

Mostly I'm surprised about the huge price hike on the PHs. A 5-day park hopper went up $50! My family was considering a visit during the holidays to make up for our over-crowded June visit (we did not mean to get caught up in the grand opening craziness). Now it will cost my family $250 more just for the park hoppers! That's not to mention the price increase on food in the park which happened this year, and I assume the hotel rates will rise as well, as they minimize any hotel specials. Those of us that live out of the area spend a lot of money to come to the parks! Why would they burden the people that eat at character meals, and park dining because we don't have a car, and generally spend more money just to go there? Don't they see that those of us who live far away will not be able to come as often?
I can't speak for what Disney may (or may not) be thinking. Here is my speculation.

1) Disney has been steadily increasing prices but at the same time trying to find ways to make those higher prices more affordable, such as offering the payment plan for AP holders and offering multiple day PHs that decrease the per day cost. They have been watching each price increase and have noted that attendance continues to grow. The next price increase had to be a bigger one than the last one.

2) CarsLand and BVS are both BIG draws for this year. They can raise prices this year by a larger margin and still get large crowds, and they know it. I am guessing they are planning to hold this price steady for a couple of years to see if attandance levels off, but they can take a bigger bite right now and still have a large draw.

The point I made earlier about curbing attendance wasn't really correct. What I should have stated was that their goal is to raise prices until attendance growth stabilizes. DLR has the capacity for more guests, as long as those guests visit CA more often than they have been. They need that park to draw guests and if it does, DL will be better off.

I think that while Disney does understand that guests are on a budget, they likely have not seen merchandise and food sales suffer from the last price increases. That would be their first sign that ticket prices are too high. Attendance will stabilize but those budget travelers would not spend as much elsewhere.

The bottom line is this. Disney doesn't try to be the budget vacation spot. The brand is positioned as a premium brand and they command a premium price. I have been to a few other theme parks and I have never seen or experienced anything like what you get at DLR (or WDW). You don't have to pay as much either ...
__________________

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #308
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,906

Just purchased our 2 day hoppers for our upcoming visit from ARES *cheaper than GAT!
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #309
thankudrivethru
Mouseketeer
 
thankudrivethru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 164

OH! wow! Good thing i already got my AP before the change and saved my pennies. Next year i will fret about the renewal, good thing i got a job!

Last edited by thankudrivethru; 05-21-2012 at 03:54 PM.
thankudrivethru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #310
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!
 
pixiewings71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 22,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylandfan1 View Post
This thread seems to be mostly about APs, but I'm shocked at the PH price increase. I can sort of understand the rise in price on the APs because of the crowding problems in the parks, however I think they went about it the wrong way and should have done gradual increases, not this huge jump. They must have regretted the low prices they were offering 2 years ago and are now trying to make up for that mistake, but this increase is too much of a jump in one year.

The sad thing is that it's not even going to help the crowding problem for this year because most people already have their APs and their park hoppers for the summer visit. These price increases will not alleviate the crowds at all until 2013, so why gamble with offending AP holders with the huge price hike?

Mostly I'm surprised about the huge price hike on the PHs. A 5-day park hopper went up $50! My family was considering a visit during the holidays to make up for our over-crowded June visit (we did not mean to get caught up in the grand opening craziness). Now it will cost my family $250 more just for the park hoppers! That's not to mention the price increase on food in the park which happened this year, and I assume the hotel rates will rise as well, as they minimize any hotel specials. Those of us that live out of the area spend a lot of money to come to the parks! Why would they burden the people that eat at character meals, and park dining because we don't have a car, and generally spend more money just to go there? Don't they see that those of us who live far away will not be able to come as often?
If you are going in June and again for the holidays you may want to consider APs for yourself actually.....altho they may have priced them out of your budget at this point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by todzwife View Post
If they want fewer passholders, they need to stop offering a payment plan.
This is true, if I hadn't been able to get the payment plan I wouldn't have bought AP's, I would have just purchased park hoppers....
__________________
Kerri DBF DD17 DD14

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.


eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #311
CalvaryMike
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DL Territory
Posts: 752

Just saw AP's at the Vons Pavillion in Newport Beach, CA at the old price.
CalvaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #312
CrazyDuck
DIS Veteran
 
CrazyDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 2,533

My biggest gripe with all this is the face that they keep reducing the number of days on the multi day tickets... 5 years ago we were able to buy 8 day hoppers... Then it was 6 day hoppers.... Now we are down to 5 day hoppers... Their mentality is probably that it is close enough in price that it would justify purchasing an annual pass but in reality a Deluxe pass is almost $200 more and it is still blocked out on some days when in comparion adding a day to a 5 day hopper was only around $10 or $20. Not only that I live in a place where I'm already spending $3,000 on airfare (cant drive cars sink in water) so out trips are once a year and usually for at least a week in DLR! I don't mind the price increase but to take away days in the park means they are forcing me to take my $$$ to other places like Magic Mountain, Universal and Legoland...
CrazyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #313
rramstad
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDuck View Post
My biggest gripe with all this is the face that they keep reducing the number of days on the multi day tickets... 5 years ago we were able to buy 8 day hoppers... Then it was 6 day hoppers.... Now we are down to 5 day hoppers... Their mentality is probably that it is close enough in price that it would justify purchasing an annual pass but in reality a Deluxe pass is almost $200 more and it is still blocked out on some days when in comparion adding a day to a 5 day hopper was only around $10 or $20. Not only that I live in a place where I'm already spending $3,000 on airfare (cant drive cars sink in water) so out trips are once a year and usually for at least a week in DLR! I don't mind the price increase but to take away days in the park means they are forcing me to take my $$$ to other places like Magic Mountain, Universal and Legoland...
I believe they'll still let you extend any multi day ticket up to a total of eight days by paying either the difference (for a published ticket) or the difference between your ticket and a 5 day hopper plus $5 per additional day. At least that was the formula in the past.
rramstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #314
jilld11
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 230

We are still selling park hoppers from 3 - 8 days. Hasn't changed in price yet, but I'm sure it will
jilld11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #315
freediverdude
Was very touched by the Tapestry of Dreams parade :(
 
freediverdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Lutz, Florida
Posts: 1,188

I agree with Califgirl, I think what they are trying to do is not reduce the number of passholders, but increase the price for each passholder and hope most people on the payment plan will just go along with it as "oh my Disney payment increased by 10 bucks a month or something, whatever" and go ahead and pay it, not paying attention to the total price.

And I think to some extent they will get away with it. Just like with car payments, people tend to focus on the monthly payment, not the total price.
freediverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.