Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie_Cat View Post
Have a look at the Ap's here

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/planning/bo...ual-passports/

The interesting ones for you are the Dream and maybe the Fanatsy (depending on your dates as they have blackout days)

Ap discount can go up to 40% off rack rate and you get discounts on all food and drink offerings not just t/s and buffets (shareholders)
Ok quick question. If you can't get an annual pass until you actually arrive in Paris, how do you get the discount for accommodation? Or does that just mean you can't use the accommodation discount on your first use of the AP?

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Thought it was about time for an update!

We've been doing some more work on our itinerary, and are going to take the train around Switzerland and Austria.

So we arrive in Paris at about 5:30am on the Saturday. Mum and Dad want to spend that night in Paris, but I want to get straight into the holiday! I'm planning to get straight on a train to Zurich and spend the night there.

I'm hoping to find somewhere to stay nice and close to the train station. Will probably do most of my sight-seeing in the morning after a decent sleep! Any suggestions most appreciated

On the Sunday, I will meet Mum and Dad on their way through and we'll all continue onto Innsbruck together.

We're planning to stay 2 nights in Innsbruck. We're hoping to check out the ski jump and go up one of the mountains.

On Tuesday we'll get back on the train and head back to Zurich, then out to Lucerne.

We'll stay another 2 nights in Lucerne. Mum and Dad have been here before, so they'll probably have a good idea about what we can do. I'll be happy just checking out the scenery I think!

Thursday we'll do the Golden Pass train line to Montreux, and spend Thursday night there.

Hoping to see the castle here.

And the funicular looks pretty cool too!

Friday we'll head on to Geneva and spend the night there.

In Geneva we'll probably just wander around and take in some of the sight around the city.

Saturday morning we'll take an early train back to Paris, looking to be there by lunchtime.

Saturday and Sunday nights we'll stay in Paris, and I'm sure my parents will be able to show me the sights

Monday we'll head out to DL I'm looking at Hotel D'Elysee at Val D'Europe. Any comments on this one? I think my dad would be too overwhelmed staying at a Disney hotel lol!

Just have to say as well, I've been reading some comments on the main board regarding some comparisons between DLRP and the US parks. I think Paris looks like the most beautifully put together park, and I'm really looking forward to taking in all the unique details and enjoying the park for what it is.

I really enjoyed the few days I had at HKDL, just wandering around and taking it all in, taking photos, and enjoying the few unique aspects to it. For me, half the fun was just seeing how the different cultures 'do' Disney!

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Your plans sound grand. Now you're making me want to go back to Europe!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:50 AM   #19
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

A few recent circumstances have made me decide to make a couple of small changes to my itinerary...

First, at the time when I booked this trip, I had just accepted a new job, and was aiming to keep my time off work to 2 weeks. Now I have a much more flexible job so I feel less restricted time wise.

Secondly, since Grizzly Gulch has opened, I have been feeling more and more disappointed that I won't actually get to go there despite flying through HK and still having my annual pass from our honeymoon.

Thirdly, Qantas have a sale on that finishes tomorrow!

So, I called my friendly (or maybe not so friendly...) Qantas representative this afternoon and got a quote for adding a stopover in HK on the way back! It was very reasonable so I went ahead, and now I'm very excited to be able to check out Grizzly Gulch in the near-ish future!

My itinerary is now:

Fly to Perth with Qantas Thursday 14th Feb (evening), and spend the night with my parents.

My parents and I will all leave Perth Friday morning on a Qantas flight to Paris via HK, arriving in Paris at 5:35am Saturday. We'll spend that first night in Paris, hopefully getting early check in somewhere.

Sunday we'll take the train to Innsbruck, Austria and stay there for 2 nights. Haven't decided on accommodation yet - I'm not sure which is the best area.

Tuesday (19th) we'll take the train to Lucerne, Switzerland (via Zurich), and spend 2 nights there. No accommodation for here yet either.

Thursday (21st) we'll take the Golden Pass Rail to Montreux and spend the night there.

Friday we plan to spend a bit of time in Montreux and then take the train to Geneva in the afternoon, where we'll spend the night.

Saturday we'll head back to Paris, hoping to get there by lunch time. Then we'll spend the rest of the weekend there.

Monday (25th) it's Disney time! We're hoping to stay at Hotel L'Elysse so we'll take the train out to Val d'Europe and check in, then head to Disneyland. I've put aside this whole week (til Friday) for Disneyland, but my parents may get sick of it and head back to Paris during the day.

Saturday I'll check out of Hotel L'Elysse and say goodbye to Paris (my parents are staying in France for another 2 weeks lucky things!). My flight for London (I couldn't do a stopover in HK going straight from Paris) leaves late afternoon.

I'll arrive in HK Sunday afternoon (3rd March - our 1st wedding anniversary which I will miss, but DH told me he's ok with it). Not sure whether I can justify staying at the Disneyland Hotel all on my own. I might stay in Tung Chung. Monday I'll be at Disneyland for rope drop and head straight to Grizzly Gulch! I don't leave HK until Tuesday evening, so I may even have time to go on the cable car in Tung Chung and go to the top of Victoria Peak.

I'll arrive back in Melbourne on Wednesday morning.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 07-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #20
ehsmum
Mouseketeer

Wow, that's awesome that you got to add a HK stopover! The whole itinerary looks really great (although even though I'm a Disney addict, I'd be reversing my Paris itinerary and spending the week in Paris and the weekend at Disney ).

I'd recommend staying on Mount Pilatus when you're in Lucern. I don't know if it suits your budget, but it's absolutely beautiful
http://www.pilatus.ch/en/hotel-pilat.../reservations/
ehsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #21
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
A few recent circumstances have made me decide to make a couple of small changes to my itinerary...

First, at the time when I booked this trip, I had just accepted a new job, and was aiming to keep my time off work to 2 weeks. Now I have a much more flexible job so I feel less restricted time wise.

Secondly, since Grizzly Gulch has opened, I have been feeling more and more disappointed that I won't actually get to go there despite flying through HK and still having my annual pass from our honeymoon.

Thirdly, Qantas have a sale on that finishes tomorrow!

So, I called my friendly (or maybe not so friendly...) Qantas representative this afternoon and got a quote for adding a stopover in HK on the way back! It was very reasonable so I went ahead, and now I'm very excited to be able to check out Grizzly Gulch in the near-ish future!

My itinerary is now:

Fly to Perth with Qantas Thursday 14th Feb (evening), and spend the night with my parents.

My parents and I will all leave Perth Friday morning on a Qantas flight to Paris via HK, arriving in Paris at 5:35am Saturday. We'll spend that first night in Paris, hopefully getting early check in somewhere.

Sunday we'll take the train to Innsbruck, Austria and stay there for 2 nights. Haven't decided on accommodation yet - I'm not sure which is the best area.

Tuesday (19th) we'll take the train to Lucerne, Switzerland (via Zurich), and spend 2 nights there. No accommodation for here yet either.

Thursday (21st) we'll take the Golden Pass Rail to Montreux and spend the night there.

Friday we plan to spend a bit of time in Montreux and then take the train to Geneva in the afternoon, where we'll spend the night.

Saturday we'll head back to Paris, hoping to get there by lunch time. Then we'll spend the rest of the weekend there.

Monday (25th) it's Disney time! We're hoping to stay at Hotel L'Elysse so we'll take the train out to Val d'Europe and check in, then head to Disneyland. I've put aside this whole week (til Friday) for Disneyland, but my parents may get sick of it and head back to Paris during the day.

Saturday I'll check out of Hotel L'Elysse and say goodbye to Paris (my parents are staying in France for another 2 weeks lucky things!). My flight for London (I couldn't do a stopover in HK going straight from Paris) leaves late afternoon.

I'll arrive in HK Sunday afternoon (3rd March - our 1st wedding anniversary which I will miss, but DH told me he's ok with it). Not sure whether I can justify staying at the Disneyland Hotel all on my own. I might stay in Tung Chung. Monday I'll be at Disneyland for rope drop and head straight to Grizzly Gulch! I don't leave HK until Tuesday evening, so I may even have time to go on the cable car in Tung Chung and go to the top of Victoria Peak.

I'll arrive back in Melbourne on Wednesday morning.

Congrats on adding HK to the trip. If I were you, I'd stay around Central/Hong Kong station rather than Tung Chung. At least you'll be closer to the city and have a few more options for things to do.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 07-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
ehsmum
Mouseketeer

Oh yeah, I was so caught up in the Europe bit that I forgot to comment on HK. I agree, I don't think there would be any point in staying in Tung Chung. You might as well stay on HK Island or Kowloon as it's so easy to get to DL on the train.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #23
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Congrats on adding HK to the trip. If I were you, I'd stay around Central/Hong Kong station rather than Tung Chung. At least you'll be closer to the city and have a few more options for things to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsmum View Post
Oh yeah, I was so caught up in the Europe bit that I forgot to comment on HK. I agree, I don't think there would be any point in staying in Tung Chung. You might as well stay on HK Island or Kowloon as it's so easy to get to DL on the train.
Thanks for the tips, but I'm really only planning on doing Disneyland and maybe the cable car. I don't think I'd be comfortable enough to venture into the city on my own. I think I'm going to go for the Hollywood Hotel. I get 15% discount on accommodation with my AP which should bring it down to a similar cost to the one in Tung Chung.

Thanks for the link for that hotel in Lucerne too ehsmum. It looks beautiful! Not sure about the price though, and is it hard to get into the city from there? We'd want to do some sight-seeing in the city and will probably want to be able to choose a restaurant rather than being stuck having to eat at the hotel all the time.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #24
ehsmum
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the Hollywood Hotel and enjoyed it .

It's been a long time since I've been to Lucerne (1996!) so I would have to do some research before giving you advice . No matter where you stay you should at least take a trip up to Mount Pilatus though.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #25
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

With *only* 6 1/2 months to go, I thought it was about time I seriously started looking at accommodation and entertainment at our various European destinations. Seriously though, I have heard that it's a busy time for ski holidays, but it seems that most of our destinations are still in low season while we're there.

I've put Mum in charge of Paris since they've been before and I was a bit overwhelmed with all the options there. I don't think she can complain too much since I'm only making her research 3 nights out of about 20 lol!

Our first non-Paris destination is Innsbruck, Austria. Now, I have always wanted to go to Austria (since I was a little girl and first saw The Sound of Music), so it was important to me that we cross the Swiss border and spend a couple of days there. Innsbruck looks like a gorgeous little town and is great value compared to Switzerland (which is a bit ).

Being a party of 3 who ideally would like to stick together, does somewhat limit our options. But using my trusty friends TripAdvisor and Expedia, I still managed to find some decent options.

The Basic Hotel is rated # 3 on TripAdvisor. From the outside it looks pretty... well... basic lol! But it seems to be in a great location, and has some positive reviews about the size of the rooms, which seem to have been recently refurbished.

We'll be in Innsbruck for 2 nights, probably arriving quite late the first day, and leaving before lunch time on the 3rd day. So we'll really only have 1 full day for exploring.

We'll probably start with a wander around the Old Town.

We might see the Golden Roof.

And maybe the Triumphant Arch.

It looks like there's a good amount of lovely old buildings and churches to look at.

Then we might visit the Bergisel Ski Jump.

I've never seen a ski jump before and this one looks pretty spectacular! If we're there in time for morning tea we can enjoy the view from the restaurant.

If we have time I'd also love to go up on the Nordkette Funicular, and down by cable car. Apparently it only takes 20 minutes from the city centre to the top of the funicular.

We'll no doubt be spending plenty of time going up and down mountains in the rest of our itinerary though, so my priority in Innsbruck is the old town and ski jump.

You can buy an 'Innsbruck Card' (there is a 24 hour one) which includes admission to various museums and attractions, plus a ride on the funicular. So we'll have to investigate whether it will be good value for us.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 07-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #26
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Our next destination is Lucerne, Switzerland.

My parents actually visited Lucerne on their trip to Europe last year as part of a tour, and are excited about going back. When they went it was summer, so they're looking forward to experiencing it in winter too.

The Hotel Monopol is rated # 11 on TripAdvisor. It seems to be in a pretty good location, just across the road from the train station. There are some good reviews about the location and size of the rooms. The main issue in recent reviews seems to be a lack of air-conditioning (and associated street noise with open windows), but I don't think that will be a problem for us

We definitely want to take a trip to the top of Mt Pilatus, and it looks like it will be via cable car at that time of year.

Back in town, I'd like to see the Chapel Bridge.

And the Dying Lion Monument - I'm expecting this one to be quite emotional.

Mum wanted to take a boat trip on the lake, but I don't think you can do it at that time of year. She'll just have to go back again lol!

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 AM   #27
PrincessInOz
in

You're bringing back great memories for me of Lucerne and Switzerland. I can't wait to see your pictures.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #28
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

After two nights in Lucerne, we'll be taking the Golden Pass Line to Montreux.

The Golden Pass Line goes in 3 sections. First is Lucerne to Interlaken, then Interlaken to Zweisimmen, then Zweisimmen to Montreux.

I believe at this stage you have to change trains at least once on the journey, but we might take the opportunity to have a wander around another part of Switzerland.

We were planning to only spend one night in Montreux, then move along to Geneva and spend another night there. However, a couple of things have convinced us to spend 2 nights in Montreux instead. First being the absolutely ridiculous cost of accommodation in Geneva... for the three of us to get anything decent we were looking at least $600 - for one night! Secondly, the more I researched things to do and see, the more I found there wasn't really much of interest to me in Geneva. So 2 nights in Montreux it is!

The Best Western Eurotel Riviera Montreux is rated # 4 on TripAdvisor. The reviews are positive about the views and room sizes, and it seems to be located fairly close to the train station and the lake.

While in Montreux I would love to take the funicular up Rochers-de-Naye. Montreux having a milder climate than the other places on our itinerary, I'm hoping that the funicular will be operating while we're there.

I'd also like to check out Chateau de Chillon (or Chillon Castle). Sadly, this is the only castle on our itinerary (apart from Sleeping Beauty Castle of course! ).

Also, I've heard that they do year-round boat trips on the lake. If that's the case, I might organise one for Mum to make up for not being able to do one in Lucerne

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 08-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #29
heart4dis
Mouseketeer

Paris

It will be cold, but I've been in Paris in February and it wasn't awful. The gardens won't be in bloom. That means if you go to Versailles, you can focus on the palace.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #30
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart4dis View Post
It will be cold, but I've been in Paris in February and it wasn't awful. The gardens won't be in bloom. That means if you go to Versailles, you can focus on the palace.
Thanks for that info. I don't think I'll have time to go to Versailles, but you never know, I might get sick of Disneyland My parents, on the other hand, may want to go... not sure if they went there on their tour last year... so I'll pass that info along to them

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: