Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #76
PrincessBetsy
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Day 4 – Animal Kingdom Snack

After breakfast, Andrew and my Dad went to DTD to go to the LEGO store, while the rest of us headed over to Animal Kingdom. We made it there shortly after opening and went to Festival of the Lion King. Before the show, we talked to Guitar Dan and he sang me an amazing graduation song (uploaded to my youtube channel, if you want to listen). Afterward, we went on Kilimanjaro Safari and headed over to Kusafiri Coffee Shop and Bakery, so we could try one of these little beauties:

White Chocolate Elephant Cupcake - rich chocolate cake filled with chocolate cream, topped with a light buttercream and toasted coconut

What a yummy, delicious cupcake. This was incredibly sweet though – I couldn’t imagine eating a whole one. The elephant was made of white chocolate and completely edible. This isn’t my favorite cupcake at WDW, but still a good one to try. (I think my favorite may be the chocolate peanut butter cupcake from Starring Rolls – I’m a huge chocolate fan if you couldn’t tell )

I would rate this a…

Coming up: Stick to your ribs good
PrincessBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #77
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Love, love, love the juice at Kona! You're right though, they definitely do not give you enough. I saw someone else order the fruit platter when I was at Kona this trip and I was in awe. It really is a stunning presentation and it all looks delicious. I might have to try that next time. It's great that you all got something different at breakfast! Everything looks delish! Great pics!
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #78
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Mmmmmmm, I LOVE the white chocolate elephant cupcake! It's one of my very favorites. A few days ago I tried the Cotton Top Tamarin cupcake instead of my beloved...big mistake! It was good, but there's no comparison, the elephant is superior!

Great pictures! And love the review system, as always. Except in my mind, Barbossa means the BEST EVER!
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #79
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to let you know... If you remember I said next time I was at Downtown Disney I was going to try that Original at Earl of Sandwich because of your review. Well we did a last minute day trip on Saturday, and I had it. Oh man, it was SO good, definitely my new favorite. So THANK YOU so much for the review!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #80
danalee
You wouldnt understand, its a New Kids thing!

Loving your reviews!! I am signing on
1998 Sept ~POFQ (honeymoon)
2005 Aug ~All Star Movie Son's first trip! B-day Surprise!
2006 Sept ~PoP w/ free dining (& 8th wedding anniversery)
2008 Aug ~All Star Sports Son's B-Day
2010 Sept ~POFQ Friends, Family & Anniversary Trip!
2012 Sept ~POFQ w/ BFF & Family~
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #81
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

Ugh....you're killing me with those pictures of yummy, Disney, chocolatey goodness...between cakes and cupcakes....I'm dying over here!

Kona is my favorite breakfast. The fruit dish looks so amazing....but I don't think I could bear to give up the pineapple macademia pancakes. We may have to do 2 breakfasts here in October!

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
gardengirl628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #82
gabzee
DIS Veteran

I'm loving your reviews!

I can't wait to go next trip to Kona! I'm so glad that you reviewed the fruit plate and blueberry pancakes. You don't hear too much about them. They both look delicious and I'm glad to hear that are as well!

Can't wait to read more!

gabzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #83
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I've always wondered if the elephant on the cupcake is edible - now I know. It looks kinda creepy to me but the cupcakes does look wonderful! Since it didn't get a Captain Jack rating, I think I'll pass.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #84
PrincessBetsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Love, love, love the juice at Kona! You're right though, they definitely do not give you enough. I saw someone else order the fruit platter when I was at Kona this trip and I was in awe. It really is a stunning presentation and it all looks delicious. I might have to try that next time. It's great that you all got something different at breakfast! Everything looks delish! Great pics!
Yum... I wish I could have some of that juice right now! So delicious. Kona is fantastic - I'm so glad we tried it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
Mmmmmmm, I LOVE the white chocolate elephant cupcake! It's one of my very favorites. A few days ago I tried the Cotton Top Tamarin cupcake instead of my beloved...big mistake! It was good, but there's no comparison, the elephant is superior!

Great pictures! And love the review system, as always. Except in my mind, Barbossa means the BEST EVER!
Heck, I basically love all cupcakes Sorry the Cotton Top Tamarin wasn't as good. I should try all of the cupcakes on Disney property, then rate them (for research purposes, of course ). My brother would agree with you on the pirate front - Barbossa is his favorite too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepete View Post
Just wanted to let you know... If you remember I said next time I was at Downtown Disney I was going to try that Original at Earl of Sandwich because of your review. Well we did a last minute day trip on Saturday, and I had it. Oh man, it was SO good, definitely my new favorite. So THANK YOU so much for the review!
Yes, I do remember! Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! I love uncovering hidden deliciousness for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
Loving your reviews!! I am signing on
Thanks for reading! I'll have another couple reviews up in a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl628 View Post
Ugh....you're killing me with those pictures of yummy, Disney, chocolatey goodness...between cakes and cupcakes....I'm dying over here!

Kona is my favorite breakfast. The fruit dish looks so amazing....but I don't think I could bear to give up the pineapple macademia pancakes. We may have to do 2 breakfasts here in October!
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to kill anybody I'm with you - the fruit platter is amazing, but I don't think I could order it over the pancakes. 2 breakfasts sounds like a good decision to me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabzee View Post
I'm loving your reviews!

I can't wait to go next trip to Kona! I'm so glad that you reviewed the fruit plate and blueberry pancakes. You don't hear too much about them. They both look delicious and I'm glad to hear that are as well!

Can't wait to read more!
Thank you! I don't think you could go wrong with anything at Kona. It's a fantastic breakfast and I'm sure you will enjoy your meal there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I've always wondered if the elephant on the cupcake is edible - now I know. It looks kinda creepy to me but the cupcakes does look wonderful! Since it didn't get a Captain Jack rating, I think I'll pass.
Yeah, I did feel bad as I took a chunk out of the elephant's head. It just kinda looked at me with these sad little eyes... The cupcake part is really good, just not one of my favorites.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #85
PrincessBetsy

Day 4 – Dinner #1: Flame Tree Barbecue

After a few hours, Andrew and my Dad joined us at Animal Kingdom. We watched Finding Nemo: The Musical, then decided to grab a bite to eat before heading out. My Dad and I love Flame Tree Barbecue, but Andrew and my Mom aren’t a huge fan . Since we were going to the Magic Kingdom for the evening, they planned on eating over there. Laura decided she would wait and have something over there too.

So, my Dad and I shared the Ribs and Chicken Combo served with baked beans and coleslaw:

Yum, this is always so good! Except for the beans, of course, which my Dad ate. The ribs and chicken have a nice smoky flavor, which is especially tasty with the barbecue sauce. Even though there isn’t too much meat on the chicken or ribs, there is definitely enough to share. Especially if you also order this:

Onion Rings Basket
Gosh, I just love onion rings! These were perfect – crispy and not too greasy. I usually try to avoid fried foods, but it is a vacation after all.

If you like barbecue, then this is the place to go! There is plenty of nice outdoor seating over to the side and behind the restaurant as well. I would have to say that Flame Tree Barbecue is one of my favorite counter service restaurants.

I bet you can guess what this receives…

Up Next: A seafaring meal
Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #86
PrincessBetsy

Day 4 – Dinner #2: Columbia Harbour House

After leaving Animal Kingdom, our party split up. Andrew, Laura, and I went to Downtown Disney, while my parents went back to the resort. We met them at the Magic Kingdom later that evening and headed to Columbia Harbour House. I absolutely love this restaurant and it is definitively one of my favorite places to eat in the Magic Kingdom. We enjoy eating in the room that is above the walkway from Fantasyland to Liberty Square.

My Dad didn’t order anything here, since he was still full from Flame Tree Barbecue. I wasn’t too hungry, so I ordered the Kid’s Chicken Nuggets with Fries and Grapes:

I actually ended up sharing most of my fries and gave the majority of my grapes to Laura. We were planning on having ice cream later, so I needed to save room for that. The chicken nuggets were not very good – I’ve had better at McDonalds to be honest. I’m a big fan of the shrimp platter here, but I wasn’t hungry enough to order that.

Laura ordered the Lobster Roll - served with potato chips:

This is a new menu item and I was surprised to see this offered. Laura really enjoyed this; she thought there was more than enough lobster in it and said it had great flavor. She gave me a bite and I had to agree. I’ve never had a lobster roll before and I thought this was superb! (I might even like this better than my beloved shrimp platter )

My Mom ordered the Kid’s Tuna Sandwich with Grapes and a Cookie:

This is also a new menu item. She and my Dad normally share the regular tuna sandwich, so she thought the kid’s sandwich would be big enough for her…turns out that wasn’t the case. The regular sandwich is served on multigrain bread with lettuce and tomato, while this is plain tuna served on wheat bread. Not only was it small, but it was also pretty dry and bland.

If you read my previous dining review, I’m sure you know what Andrew ordered:

Kid’s Macaroni and Cheese with Fries and a Cookie
He absolutely loves this mac and cheese! The only problem: there isn’t enough! This is one of his favorite foods in all of Walt Disney World, so needless to say, Andrew was a very happy kid.

This meal receives a …

This definitely wasn’t the favorite meal of the trip. But I would blame it more on us than on CHH. Next time I will order the shrimp platter or the lobster roll (it was really good!) and my parents will definitely order the regular sized tuna sandwich. So, don’t let Barbossa scare you! You should definitely come here – just avoid the Kid’s tuna and chicken nuggets.

Next Up: Ice cream!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #87
Krissalee
DIS Veteran

There is just something about thos onion rings at Flame Tree! I can't not order them!
Past Trips: 10/13 BWV (15th Anniversary) 9/13 BWV (Krissy's first solo trip), 11/12 OKW, 10/11 BWV (13th Anniversary), 2/11 SSR (Mom & Dad's 40th Anniversary) , 10/10 SSR (12th Anniversary), 1/10 BWV, 3/09 BWV, 10/08 SSR (10th Anniversary), 10/07 BCV/SSR (9th Anniversary), 10/06 BWV (8th Anniversary), 10/05 BWV (7th Anniversary & Hurricane Wilma), 10/03 BWV (5th Anniversary), 12/02 AKL/YC (my 30th birthday), 3/02 ASM, 10/01 WL (3rd Anniversary), 1999 CBR (Craig's first trip), childhood trips late 70s/early 80s
Krissalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #88
PrincessBetsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissalee View Post
There is just something about thos onion rings at Flame Tree! I can't not order them!
I feel the same way! Too good to resist
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #89
PrincessBetsy

Day 4 – Time for Ice Cream!

After going on a few of our favorite attractions, we decided it was time for some delicious ice cream. Where is the best place for a quick treat? The Plaza Ice Cream Parlour! We love getting our dessert here, then eating it down a side alley way on Main Street. It’s especially magical if you eat it while the Main Street Electrical Parade is on…

Just a word of warning: This place can get very busy right before the parade and right after. I would suggest heading in a little after the parade has started in order to minimize your waiting time.

I got a Plaza Sundae (hot fudge, whipped cream, and a cherry served in a waffle bowl) with Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream:

Andrew had Cookies and Cream Ice Cream with Hot Fudge:

My Mom had Vanilla Ice Cream with Hot Fudge:

My Dad had a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream with Chocolate Mouse Ears:

Unfortunately the ears disappeared before I could take a picture…

Laura ordered a Root Beer Float:

You can tell she was enjoying this!

Wow, I love ice cream. This is probably one of the best places to get a fantastic sundae for a decent price. The waffle bowls are freshly made right at the Plaza and are absolutely wonderful. Andrew and my Mom aren’t huge waffle bowl fans, so they just opted for the ice cream and hot fudge. No matter what you order you are definitely going to get something yummy!

The Plaza Ice Cream Parlour is always in my good books!

Coming up: Huge Cinnamon Buns
Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #90
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

It was a HUGE mistake to read your ice-cream review right now!!! Let's see 10:50 at night and now I'm craving something cold and sweet. Anyway... I'll get over that. I love, love, love Flame Tree - I swear I will never eat anywhere else for a meal while there. I think I may need to try some of those onion rings.

Oh, and the lobster roll looks like something to put on my list in the future. Just toooooo many choices for me!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: