Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #31
CDolacki2003
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing your planning with us. I am loving it. We just got back from CBR and a 5 day double dip on the Dream so you are helping me on my Disney withdrawls. We are planning to go to POR next October for MNSSHP (first time for it, we love the Christmas party). I hope to play the free DP game too.
Again great report and I cannot wait for more.
Oct 2014- 1 day in EPCOT
Dec 2016- planning CSR (if all goes well)
CDolacki2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #32
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

*CRICKETS...CRICKETS.....JILLIAN, WHERE DID YOU GO??? *

I'm so sorry...for those of you still out there. This summer has flown by and where have I been? Seriously..doesn't work know I have Disney brain 24-7 and a PTR I'd rather be writing???

So, let's get up to speed..... We last left off with scoring Free Dining pretty easy (no room category changes, resort changes, etc).... I was PUMPED about that.

We also were able to get Be Our Guest reservations!! SCORE!
I was up at 5:50am on Monday to get on the phones. I dialed in exactly at 6:00am.. and got through to the automated system. For some reason she "didn't understand my request" and sent me to the queue where I waited for.... 72 minutes. It wasn't as horrible as it sounds, though... I had great hold music. It was loop of Main Street, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain and the Haunted Mansion. And I just did most of my normal morning routine, but just carried my phone with me. Wouldn't you know it just as I squirted foundation on my finger the CM picked up... But we got our 2nd choice booking, December 3rd at 6:30pm! We're so excited!

Now would be a good time to (try) to explain our "special guests" (as I've called them). Way back in early 2007, I joined a chat board through the What To Expect When You're Expecting book/website. I was with other mothers who were due in November 2007. Since then, some of maintained relationships, real life and online, and have evolved into a Facebook group. Some of my favorite people have come from my friendships and relationships through this site. Anyway, a mom on there and her family are Disney-holics like us. There was a group of us talking on the boards one day about various Disney trips and when we were going. Turns out, we were planning on the same dates! So we started talking about it and planning joint activities/reservations. We are both staying at POR, they in a preferred room, us in a Royal Room. They will be joining us for our T-Rex, Be Our Guest, and 'Ohana reservations! We're so excited. They have a will-be-5-at-time-of-trip son, so Eli will have a built-in playmate! I'm just excited to share the Disney spirit with other people!

And lastly..... AIRFARE! My in-laws graciously bought our flights for us for our trips so there's no turning back now (cue duh-duh-duh music!!) We leave earlier than I'd planned on Thursday (I'm so so sad, can you tell? ) and come back later on Saturday! I feel so happy!

I can't believe it, we're only:

99 DAYS AWAY FROM DISNEY!

(Coming soon..day by day breakdowns!)

@quirkyinwi (Twitter) @sunnysideup3 (Instagram)

November 2001: WDW- Offsite/ December 2009: WDW- Offsite/ December 2011: WDW-POR
December 2012: WDW-POR/ Jan 2014: Disney Wonder (5 day Western Caribbean)/Jan 2015: WDW-POR /Oct 2015: TBD
sunnysideup3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #33
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Hi Jillian! I thought I'd stop by and jump on the Surprise wagon with you. I love a good surprise!

Anyway, I'm really loving your plans and even more I'm so jealous that your staying at POR. John and I LOVE it there and can't wait to get back. I'm hoping for a revisit in early 2015 since I've been overruled for this and next year at AoA.

You little guy is adorable! I think he will freak when he sees that bag! My nephew is the same age and he had a Lightning McQueen backpack that he won't let go of even to go to bed.

Congrats on getting an ADR for BOG! I can't wait to see everyone's experience with it. I'm sad I'll be just missing it by 10 days, but you had better believe it's on for next time.

I hear you on meeting some awesome people online! I've become friends with some DIS'er and will be lucky enough to meet them in Nov.

Can't wait to see the rest of your plans!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #34
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Hi Jillian! I thought I'd stop by and jump on the Surprise wagon with you. I love a good surprise!

Anyway, I'm really loving your plans and even more I'm so jealous that your staying at POR. John and I LOVE it there and can't wait to get back. I'm hoping for a revisit in early 2015 since I've been overruled for this and next year at AoA.

You little guy is adorable! I think he will freak when he sees that bag! My nephew is the same age and he had a Lightning McQueen backpack that he won't let go of even to go to bed.

Congrats on getting an ADR for BOG! I can't wait to see everyone's experience with it. I'm sad I'll be just missing it by 10 days, but you had better believe it's on for next time.

I hear you on meeting some awesome people online! I've become friends with some DIS'er and will be lucky enough to meet them in Nov.

Can't wait to see the rest of your plans!
Thanks for coming over! I love a good surprise, too! I want to catch it video, but you never know when they're going to realize it, right? Our flight leaves Milwaukee at 9:20am, so we will have to be there around 7:30am. We plan on packing the car with his special luggage the night before and he'll see that when we get to the airport. I just don't know exactly how we're going to tell him so that it's exciting and not like "OH, by the way...."

I can't wait to read your TR about AOA. It looks cool, and I know Eli would love the Lion King and Cars rooms...maybe someday.

We love POR. We'd originally booked at CSR, but when our friends tried to book it seemed really full and that scared us off, so we went where we felt "at home". Plus we have the Royal Room this year, so that should be fun and different!

November 2001: WDW- Offsite/ December 2009: WDW- Offsite/ December 2011: WDW-POR
December 2012: WDW-POR/ Jan 2014: Disney Wonder (5 day Western Caribbean)/Jan 2015: WDW-POR /Oct 2015: TBD
Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #35
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I'm here! AHHH omg, Eli is SO CUTE. Precious! And I love that you're surprising him! And... I'm all caught up! Hooray!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #36
WendyBelle
Mouseketeer

Hi Jillian,
I'm enjoying your trip report. I've been on the lookout for early December trip reports. My family and I are going to be in Disney at almost the same exact time as you. We're staying at Pop Century Nov. 28- Dec. 8th and have upgraded our free quick service to regular dining. Looks like our only overlap right now is Crystal Palace Breakfast on Sunday, Dec. 2nd. We have an 8:10 resv.

Love that you're surprising your DS. What a fun idea! I've never had the patience/will-power to do that, but I've always thought it would be so much fun.

Looking forward to reading more!

Wendy, Chris and Family
Disney Magic - April 2011 Caribbean Beach Resort 1 night before cruise
Pop Century - Nov. '13, July '13, May '13, April '13, Dec. '11, '12, Oct. '10, Sept. '09, Dec. '08 Port Orleans Riverside - Sept. '07, Oct. '05
DISNEYLAND Summer 2010
Wendy-Girl Scouts at Fort Wilderness: 1981, Azalea Trail Maid "Happy Easter Parade": 1989
Chris-Gradnite: 1988, Trip with middle school buddy: 1983
WendyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #37
WDWRids
Ready to go back!!

Joining in....love your PTR so far and can't wait to hear more!!
WDWRids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #38
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I'm here! AHHH omg, Eli is SO CUTE. Precious! And I love that you're surprising him! And... I'm all caught up! Hooray!
Yay! Glad you're caught up..not like there's a lot to be caught up on, I've been kinda slacking.. (cough, cough)... I thought you might be really busy watching Full House or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyBelle View Post
Hi Jillian,
I'm enjoying your trip report. I've been on the lookout for early December trip reports. My family and I are going to be in Disney at almost the same exact time as you. We're staying at Pop Century Nov. 28- Dec. 8th and have upgraded our free quick service to regular dining. Looks like our only overlap right now is Crystal Palace Breakfast on Sunday, Dec. 2nd. We have an 8:10 resv.

Love that you're surprising your DS. What a fun idea! I've never had the patience/will-power to do that, but I've always thought it would be so much fun.

Looking forward to reading more!

Thanks for coming over! It's amazing that with the exact same times, we'll only overlap once! Well you know what we look like now, so if you see us at CP, don't be a stranger. I love putting faces with names, especially members of the DIS family!

The surprise has taken on a life of it's own! It's actually become comical. He asks all the time to go, and we just say the "oh, when you're bigger" line. The Splash Mountain song came on in the car today, and he said "I really wish I could ride that again soon.." I just kinda laughed to myself ...it's going to be SO much fun. I just wonder when that morning he will actually catch on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRids View Post
Joining in....love your PTR so far and can't wait to hear more!!
Thanks! I'm actually scheduling time for myself to update more! Thanks for coming over!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #39
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

Day 1: The Departure

Off Topic for a second: If any of you are on Twitter, which I know some of you are…. I’m @quirkyinwi and would love to interact with you there! I’ve been chatting with a lot of great DISers and it’s so nice to have that bonus interaction!

Anyway, I’m finally getting down to the day by day breakdowns! Now that our flights are set, we will be leaving Milwaukee a little after 9:00am. Now, that is WAY earlier than I’d thought, but DH is able to take that day off from work and I’ll be off already so why wait around, right? The surprise, as of now, is to pack the car that night so he doesn't see the Tow Mater suitcase. Our friend, Ali, will come over, take us to the airport, take our car back home and leave to go to work from our house. She's AWESOME When we get to the airport, we'll give him a belated birthday card (hoping to make it look like it's from Mickey and SOMETHING (TBD) that screams DISNEY WORLD!! (Any suggestions are welcome: Shirt? Ears? Something packable is my only requirement) Anyway, with our flight time, it puts us in Orlando at 1pm.

We will take the DME to Port Orleans-Riverside! I can’t wait to see our Royal Room. I think Eli will love it! He loved “Princess and the Frog” and I think the LED headboards and little hidden touches (The faucet is supposed to represent Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast!) will be fun to discover.

After we settle in (and I’m sure we’ll be waiting for our luggage, which is fine!), we will head out on the boats to DTD. I love that feature at POR. Those boat rides are so relaxing and it’s fun to go past POFQ, SSR and OKW!

When we arrive, we will be dining at one of our favorite CS spots!

Earl of Sandwich!! I can’t wait for one of these! Yummmmm…

We will stroll around the area, maybe partake in our first Disney shopping (who can resist, right?), which I’m sure will include a trip to the Disney LEGO store. DH has gotten Eli addicted, so I’m sure there will be multiple purchases here… And we can't wait to try out this!

We have to get it in this day, as it's reported to only be there until December 1st!

After a while we’ll head back to POR and unpack, get situated and relax. DH has expressed, just recently, that he’d like to return to Raglan Road for “the best Shepard’s Pie and Bread Pudding he’s ever had.”

I wish he would have told me this sooner! I did book a 7:15 reservation there this night that we can debate going to or not…shouldn’t be a bad boat ride over!
We are not doing any parks this day because we want to save our energy for the days ahead. I like that we will be there earlier in the day than we did last year, giving us time to see POR in the daylight for our “first glance” and actually hang out without being SOOO TIRED.
You’ll start to notice that a lot of our reservations are very “meat and potatoes” heavy. That’s DH’s influence. He wanted to do Ohana…TWICE. Fine by me. It’s our “welcome and goodbye dinners.” More on that to come!

That should bring us to the end of Day 1! We’ll be plenty hyped up and tired and excited to get to our first park of the trip…

Where are we headed? Stay tuned!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #40
JessiMommy
DIS Veteran

Ok I'm in! We are staying at POR also... in mid November! It is such a beautiful resort! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Most recent visits...
AKL ~ September 14-21, 2013
AoA ~ January 27-February 3, 2013
POR ~ November 10-17, 2012
JessiMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #41
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Are we twins! You have planned the exact same day that we had the last 2 times we stayed at POR! (minus Raglan Road)

The boats to DTD is HUGE for us! My DH videoed to whole ride from POR to DTD last January. Kadence watches that video and I get sucked in every time!

We hit EOS, and then the stores.

This trip we'll have a whole day to roam, so EOS, is a plan, maybe HOB or PH. I saw the P&F experience announcement a couple weeks ago and knew that Kadence will want to do that.

My tip on surprising him would be make sure somebody has the camera rolling. Maybe a recordable card saying we're going to WDW? A t-shirt he can slip on that says it.
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931

Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #42
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Omg, I didn't know that! I've seen pictures that the faucet is of the lamp from Aladdin! Maybe there's two different ones you can get! That would be so cool.

Your first day sounds like so much fun! And goodness, I would love to do 'Ohana twice! YUM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #43
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiMommy View Post
Ok I'm in! We are staying at POR also... in mid November! It is such a beautiful resort! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

I just popped over to your PTR! Great start! I really hope you can get your RO discount! I know how much the free dining discount helps us eat at the places we really WANT to go to! Can't wait for you to get back to POR! I love it there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Are we twins! You have planned the exact same day that we had the last 2 times we stayed at POR! (minus Raglan Road)

The boats to DTD is HUGE for us! My DH videoed to whole ride from POR to DTD last January. Kadence watches that video and I get sucked in every time!

We hit EOS, and then the stores.

This trip we'll have a whole day to roam, so EOS, is a plan, maybe HOB or PH. I saw the P&F experience announcement a couple weeks ago and knew that Kadence will want to do that.

My tip on surprising him would be make sure somebody has the camera rolling. Maybe a recordable card saying we're going to WDW? A t-shirt he can slip on that says it.

Thanks for the surprise tips! I might get one of those "I'm Going to WDW" T-shirts while they are 25% off online.....

Refresh my memory...how are you surprising Cadence again this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Omg, I didn't know that! I've seen pictures that the faucet is of the lamp from Aladdin! Maybe there's two different ones you can get! That would be so cool.

Your first day sounds like so much fun! And goodness, I would love to do 'Ohana twice! YUM.
You're right. I got the Aladdin faucet and the bench chair/dog thing mixed up! Whoever wrote this review of the POR-Royal Rooms did a good job "finding" things in the room (POR ROYAL ROOM REVIEW)

You'll get to read all about our 'Ohana adventures... just wait! With all the times we'll be at the POLY, we should just stay there (I WISH!)

Old 08-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #44
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup3

Thanks for the surprise tips! I might get one of those "I'm Going to WDW" T-shirts while they are 25% off online.....

Refresh my memory...how are you surprising Cadence again this year?
I was going to check out some t shirts for John there later. He says he needs new Disney wear. LOL

We are going to send her to school like any other day. I'm going to tell she has a dentist app and she have to get out of school for it. Once we get to the truck, John will be waiting there with his" We're going to Disney World" shirt on. She'll put it together quickly I think. The video camera will be a giveaway.

I'm getting so excited just to get to that point!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Old 09-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #45
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

Day 2: Let the Memories Begin!

So we left off with our arrival to the magic and our evening at DTD! We will waste no time diving right into our vacation. We'll get up and head to MK to catch the monorail to Poly for this:

Breakfast at Ohana!
(Okay, so I couldn't find any good photos on the internet with characters in them that didn't have random children in them, and I wouldn't want my kid to end up in some random trip report, so you get a picture of Eli and Stitch!) As this trip is a surprise, he won't know about anything, so we'll keep the characters of this breakfast a surprise until he sees them. He's become obsessed with Lilo and Stitch this past year. We went to the Disney Store on Tuesday and he chose a bit Stitch as his present.....

Anywho, we'll dine and character-ize there and pop over on the monorail to a fun day at Magic Kingdom. Now, apparently there will be parade taping that day, so I hope our arrival shortly after rope drop avoids the chaos of that. If I remember right, once you get past the madness of that, the rest of the park is pretty quiet, and we care nothing about being on TV, so....

I have to digress for a second. I'm sure you've all heard me talk about how un-planned our 2009 trip with my in-laws was. It was still great, but very ...disorganized. We arrived at 11:30am to MK on parade taping day...with the Jonas Brothers performing....talk about CHAOS. I don't know if it was fate or the grace of god, but we were able to get a walk up lunch reservation at Tony's and my MIL being herself, asked for a window seat, and we got it. We watched a bunch of the taping from there. It was crazy! We did depart MK and went to EPCOT after that, however

I will probably cry the first time I see the castle again. I always do. It's just so magical!!

Anyway, back to present day....We will be hitting up our favorites, and some newbies at MK this day. I really want to try to do the MK rides I haven't done this trip... COP, Astro Orbiter, Hall of President's, Tom Sawyer's Island, New Fantasyland, Tiki Room.. WOW, there's a lot we HAVEN'T done! I'm sure there will be old favorites like Pirates, Splash, BTMRR, Haunted Mansion, PPF, Tea Cups, Monsters Inc, etc.

If we are hungry after our big breakfast, I have Pecos Bills down as our preferred CS lunch spot. Has anyone eaten there before? Thoughts? Other recommendations? We really loved Casey's and CHH last time, so I'm sure there are no shortage of options.

We will return to POR late afternoon for some down time, swimming, Stacey-watching, all that fun Disney stuff. We will then head back to MK for the ride over to Poly (AGAIN--I KNOW!) for dinner at 'Ohana. I know what you're thinking? Twice? In one day???? We're crazy... but in our defense, breakfast and dinner are totally different.. and eating here was a must for DH. (We will have our final dinner here, too...don't judge). I really love the meal here.. it's a meat-fest. And who can resist that ooey-gooey bread pudding...

Our original plans were to have CRT this morning, but I couldn't justify the $137 cost for breakfast for three people who aren't princess obsessed.

So, after our filling dinner, we'll roll out of there and depending on how full we are... we'll head to EPCOT for EMH. Eli is obsessed with Spaceship Earth, so I'm sure I'll watch that man paint the ceiling and thank the Phoenicians multiple times that night...

That should conclude Day 2!

As always, thoughts and opinions are always welcome!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: