Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

it would be difficult to say with any definitiveness that the only reason persons were getting sick on the ship is because wipes are being used rather than liquid sanitizer outside the eating areas. People touch stuff. They then touch their faces. That happens no matter what kind of sanitizer is being used. Disney tries but they can't prevent everything.

I was just on the Wonder for two weeks with the wipes and never heard any stuff about norovirus.

Would like to hear more about the refusal to help with the clogged plumbing. Was it because of the quarantine, because they didn't respond fast enough, or because they really just didn't care?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
TinkBell10
DIS Veteran

Regarding the liquid sanitizer....on the Magic last November, there was both liquid and wipes available outside the MDRs. The liquid was in the automatic dispenser type that you don't have to touch. They were installed in the little stations outside the MDRs where the wipes and trashcans were. They were easy to miss if you weren't looking, but I definitely saw the liquid.
06/07/15 Freedom of the Seas
PAST CRUISES:05/2001 Sovereign of the Seas | 5/22/03 Wonder | 3/20/04 Magic | 5/27/06 Magic | 6/07/07 Wonder | 4/05/08 Magic| 6/13/09 Magic | 6/12/10 Carnival Dream | 6/12/11 Dream | 11/19/11 Magic | 6/09/12 Fantasy | 06/08/13 Fantasy | 11/23/13 Liberty of the Seas | 06/07/14 Fantasy|

WDW: Too many times to count! On average--one weekend a month
TinkBell10 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
KBT35
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry your family got sick! Is it possible that someone in your party was already sick and just wasn't symptomatic yet but highly contagious? They could have picked the bug up anywhere prior to boarding had an incubation period then BAM with a bit of exhaustion from all the excitement immune system suppression comes into play and now we are SICK!!

As a healthcare provider in the dental field (always digging in someones nasty mouth!)
I know all too well that especially today many people OVER sanitize! Seriously NOT trying to judge you but it sounds like you may be one of those people that put yourself at more risk by over doing it with the liquid sanitizer, lysol spray on beds etc...this causes you to kill all the good bacteria in your GI track making you MORE susceptible to viral infections!

I get on one of my besties all the time, she should really just buy stock in liquid sanitizer! She buys the jumbo gallon sizes of it from Sam's Club and keeps it in the car, house, small ones in her purse...she's constantly wiping her kids down and anything else before they touch it. She keeps the wipes in her purse to open doors with!! It's madness!! Guess what???? Her house stays SICK!!! They constantly have strep or a stomach bug like bi weekly, they just keep passing it around! I told her she needs Hazmat to come in and do one deep sanitation, throw all the other crap out and then go play in the creek, get good and FILTHY, come in the house all nasty and gross!!!

Ps. to whomever slammed you for your typos....I proof mine and my drs charts daily...not only does he have the absolute worse penmanship but he can't spell to save his life! I swear he makes words up just to suit the situation! I've been in the field for 16yrs horrible spelling across the board!
My Aunt's 65th Birthday Dream Surprise May 26th-30th 2013
KBT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
LuAnimal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBT35 View Post
I know all too well that especially today many people OVER sanitize! Seriously NOT trying to judge you but it sounds like you may be one of those people that put yourself at more risk by over doing it with the liquid sanitizer, lysol spray on beds etc...this causes you to kill all the good bacteria in your GI track making you MORE susceptible to viral infections!

I get on one of my besties all the time, she should really just buy stock in liquid sanitizer! She buys the jumbo gallon sizes of it from Sam's Club and keeps it in the car, house, small ones in her purse...she's constantly wiping her kids down and anything else before they touch it. She keeps the wipes in her purse to open doors with!! It's madness!! Guess what???? Her house stays SICK!!! They constantly have strep or a stomach bug like bi weekly, they just keep passing it around! I told her she needs Hazmat to come in and do one deep sanitation, throw all the other crap out and then go play in the creek, get good and FILTHY, come in the house all nasty and gross!!!
So very, very true!! Great advice.
LuAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

To the OP: I'm sorry that your family was ill during your cruise and the misstep by DCL not sending some one right away to fix the clog. I hope everyone is feeling better now.

As I'm not in the health field, I'm by no means an expert nor do I claim to be one but....

Here are my thoughts:

First of all, if you don't get dirty sometimes, you will not stay well. I'm not saying that people shouldn't wash their hands but the use of too much sanitizer actually breaks down your immune system.

Secondly, some people on a cruise consume either too much food or food your system is not used to. That can make you sick. I know from experience. I love the Palo brunch but I found out the hard way every time I eat scallops there, I become very ill. So no more scallops for me....

Thirdly, too much sun exposure can turn into an illness. I love Castaway Cay and just hanging out at the beach. However, I know when I have had enough and it is time to find cover.

With that being said, I wish people wouldn't be so quick to jump on the Norovirus bandwagon. I believe until a Dr. says it is Noro, it isn't. I'm not trying to doubt those folks that have had the virus but sometimes people need to take responsibilty.

I wish everyone a happy and healthy cruising....
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris

Last edited by acourtwdw; 05-17-2012 at 03:10 PM.
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #21
maggs1035
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBT35 View Post
I'm sorry your family got sick! Is it possible that someone in your party was already sick and just wasn't symptomatic yet but highly contagious? They could have picked the bug up anywhere prior to boarding had an incubation period then BAM with a bit of exhaustion from all the excitement immune system suppression comes into play and now we are SICK!!

As a healthcare provider in the dental field (always digging in someones nasty mouth!)

Ps. to whomever slammed you for your typos....I proof mine and my drs charts daily...not only does he have the absolute worse penmanship but he can't spell to save his life! I swear he makes words up just to suit the situation! I've been in the field for 16yrs horrible spelling across the board!
Just curious about your tag for your next cruise? your sailing Jan 2013, but it says your 1 year and 7 months away???
maggs1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I have only seen wipes on the ship since 2003, but there was foaming sanitizer when reboarding the ship on the dock.

However, I completely sympathize with the poor way you were treated by DCL GS. We were on the Wonder in January 2010 with friends who all contracted Noro virus onboard. Their DD got sick after 10 pm that first night. The son got sick the following night. The mom and dad both got sick the morning we were at CC. This was a problem onboard because after we returned we saw posted here on the boards that the drink & food stations were staffed by CMs for several cruises prior to ours BUT the captain had relaxed the restrictions for our cruise. Their entire hallway deck 2 starboard aft was sick. It was horrible! They were in a cat 10 with four people and at one point three of them were ill. As soon as the stateroom host found out they were sick he stopped cleaning the room....for the ENTIRE 3 days!!! They contacted the medical center after hours but was told to treat for sea sickness. The center basically told them to stay in their room and not come see them. It was as if they didn't want to have another case documented. The mom got no help from GS on the phone so went down there, and proceeded to get sick while waiting in line. Again, she was just rushed off. They had to take turns going up to get drinks on deck 9 hoping that they could get there and back before being ill. Yes, they were aware that they were at risk of contaminating anything they touched but they needed to try to stay hydrated. Since the room host abandoned their hallway, they had to keep a lookout for host carts down the hall so they could grab clean towels so they could try to keep themselves somewhat cleaned up, along with the bathrooms. There were piles of dirty towels in the hallway outside most doors in their section.

I knew that they were sick, but didn't know how poorly they were being treated until after we got home. If I had known, I would have requested more help from the CMs we knew onboard from many previous cruises and I would hope that would have gotten a better response. They wrote DCL corporate to complain about the way they were treated and received no response. The attitude onboard was basically -- this is a 3-night cruise, let's get them off the ship fast. They cancelled three cruises that they had booked, including a TA and Alaska cruise we were suppose to go on together.

I hope that you get a better response than they did. Before that we had never heard of anything like that happening onboard DCL. We had a much better experience on a 7-night cruise when DS had pink eye and had to be confined to the stateroom for 24 hours. Within minutes of being at the health center we were contacted by GS. Someone brought a DVD player to the room with a list of movies that were available, we could order off the dining room menus and they contacted us a couple more times to see if they could help with anything. Possibly it is the fact that the 7-night cruises see more of this and the guests can recover and enjoy the rest of the cruise? It is inexcusible that the CMs are not trained to handle things the same way, however.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
Dallas_Lady
I only work for the vacation money

Was this a ship-wide outbreak or a relatively isolated incident?
Dallas_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #24
MariGo
Earning My Ears

the 1st victim

Hello I'm PRLissette's sister.... My 5 yo DD is the little one who contracted the virus 1st.Yes, we washed our hands.We could wash our hands 100 times a day but it doesn't mean we won't get si ck. I understand Disney can't prevent us from getting sick but I do whole heartedly believe she contracted the virus aboard the vessel. I was disappointed in the manner on how it was handled and feel like we were put on the back burner. I took her to the Doctor on board and at that point put into isolation,That evening my DD was feeling sooo much better and wanted to leave the room.I was told if I took her out of the room I would get arrested upon arrival at port canaveral,which to me was disturbing. So basically had we not seen the Dr. on board we would have been free to roam around and contaminate everyone we came in contact with,but since we did the "right" thing my daughter is the one who basically was punished for being sick.My husband and I couldnt even enjoy our time because we had to keep switching shifts so one of us could stay with her while.the other took our 2 yo DS around...So much for a family vacay,the virus came as quickly as it left affecting 2 more people.
MariGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #25
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariGo View Post
Hello I'm PRLissette's sister.... My 5 yo DD is the little one who contracted the virus 1st.Yes, we washed our hands.We could wash our hands 100 times a day but it doesn't mean we won't get si ck. I understand Disney can't prevent us from getting sick but I do whole heartedly believe she contracted the virus aboard the vessel. I was disappointed in the manner on how it was handled and feel like we were put on the back burner. I took her to the Doctor on board and at that point put into isolation,That evening my DD was feeling sooo much better and wanted to leave the room.I was told if I took her out of the room I would get arrested upon arrival at port canaveral,which to me was disturbing. So basically had we not seen the Dr. on board we would have been free to roam around and contaminate everyone we came in contact with,but since we did the "right" thing my daughter is the one who basically was punished for being sick.My husband and I couldnt even enjoy our time because we had to keep switching shifts so one of us could stay with her while.the other took our 2 yo DS around...So much for a family vacay,the virus came as quickly as it left affecting 2 more people.
And if you hadn't done the right thing, how many more people would have been effected?

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 05-17-2012 at 03:24 PM.
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #26
skeeter31
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariGo View Post
Your daughter wasn't being punished, it was protective measure put into place for the good of the entire ship. While it does stink to get sick on a vacation, it's a relatively common occurance (not always being stomach ailments). The ship and Disney need to accomodate and take care of ALL the passengers. It seems that because they did isolate your daughter, they were able to contain the spread of the virus (if it was the Noro Virus). We aren't seeing tons of threads on here with others contracting the virus, so obviouslt isloation helps.

Me DW Bella
skeeter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #27
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I don't think quarantine automatically lifts because the person feels better.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #28
averysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs1035 View Post
Just curious about your tag for your next cruise? your sailing Jan 2013, but it says your 1 year and 7 months away???
It says she's sailing New Year's Eve 2013... New Year's Eve is in December, so she's sailing in 1 year and 7 months.

averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #29
leeshiebean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Your daughter wasn't being punished, it was protective measure put into place for the good of the entire ship. While it does stink to get sick on a vacation, it's a relatively common occurance (not always being stomach ailments). The ship and Disney need to accomodate and take care of ALL the passengers. It seems that because they did isolate your daughter, they were able to contain the spread of the virus (if it was the Noro Virus). We aren't seeing tons of threads on here with others contracting the virus, so obviouslt isloation helps.
I have to agree with this. It's extremely unfortunate (I was so worried I would get sick on my honeymoon and have to spend it in my room!) but unfortunately, it happens. And on cruises where everyone is confined to such close quarters, the best thing they can do is have the sick person stay in their room so they don't infect anyone else. It's hardly DCL's fault. Yes, it sucks to be sick and have it ruin a vacation (I'd be so upset!), but it seems foolish to be mad at DCL for it. They had to do what was best for the rest of the passengers, and if it meant keeping a little girl in her room, so be it. It sure beats letting her roam around and then infecting many more people!

And I think many people do get caught up in "antibacterial" sanitizing, forgetting that usually good old warm water and soap will do the trick. You've got to get a little dirty sometimes so your body can build antibodies against the things you come in contact with.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #30
MariGo
Earning My Ears

I personally understand why she was isolated,but try to tell a 5 yo that when she feels better and wants to enjoy her vacation as well.We planned this trip for 2 years ago.I think we should get some compensation/credit on behalf of her since she was forced to stay in the room
MariGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: